• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PlayTV impressions

pswii60

Danj said:
Well of course, the big minus with this thing is that it is Freeview and Freeview is mostly pants in comparison to what's available on Sky Digital. It's a pity Sky is so anal-retentive about their platform and won't make CAMs available for it.
I don't think Freeview is so bad. For a free terrestrial service it's great and it'll only get better after the switch-off and when HD arrives on the platform.

The biggest problem is the wasted bandwidth from TopUp TV, shopping channels and pointless "+1" services on E4 and ITV2. I think Ofcom should have put their foot down on that shit.

I also wish ITV, C4 and Five would have the fucking guts to actually bid decent amounts in bidding wars. That way Sky wouldn't own the rights to 24, Prison Break, Lost etc. I also wish they'd have the guts to actually bother buying the rights to shows like The Shield and The Wire. It all feels very low-risk on the main five channels these days, with cheap reality shows taking the main stage.

Thank the lord the BBC actually took up the rights to show Damages. That was an incredible series. But, more than likely, the next two series will be shown on FX or something.

Banned
pswii60 said:
- Picture quality isn't anywhere near as good as my built-in Freeview TV (Toshiba 32WLT66), it seems 'out of focus', a very soft picture and it's a shame it doesn't appear to use the PS3's excellent DVD upscaling engine (perhaps to reduce power consumption / fans, but the option would be nice). Luckily not a problem as I only intend to use this to playback recorded content, and not to watch live TV.
You might have to check both your TV and the PS3 settings on this one. Firstly, with that particular Toshiba model, sharpness has to be as low as it can go. This is -50. It's not actually negative sharpness, it's zero sharpness.

The way sharpness is applied to the signal may be different when it comes to SD/HD on your display. I'm not sure, but it may be adding sharpness before scaling rather than after having been scaled, which would give SD/HD inputs a different look, even if it's the same material.

Photos taken from a 32WLT66 a while back:

Sharpness +50:
2pzwt4x.jpg

Stupid amounts of ringing.

Sharpness 0:
11ki06t.jpg

Still far too much ringing around the edges of things, dark shadows around text, colour definition is lost. (look at the blue text inside the yellow bar — it's too dark) Why they call this 0 I'll never know.

Sharpness -50:
vcxyyp.jpg

So much better — the image as it's supposed to look without artificial sharpening.

The other thing you'll have to check is the PS3's settings. When they added the support for PlayTV a while back, they added the ability to use Noise Reduction feature on files stored on the PS3 hard drive rather than just DVDs. If I remember correctly there's both DNR (grain reduction) and MPEG NR (block noise reduction) both of which basically just end up blurring the image. DNR smears the image as it moves around in an attempt to hide grain, and MPEG NR simply blurs the image like it's running at a lower resolution. These were enabled by default on my system after the update, so that may be the case with yours as well. Turn them off and the image should look a lot better. (on the XMB videos you hit triangle when it's playing to get to the options, I don't know about PlayTV)

pswii60 said:
- NO series link. OK, so I know only BBC and ITV have actually got their Freeview act together on this anyway, but still. Yes, you can set it to record 'weekly' for x number of times, which is fine if: 1) you know how many episodes are in the series and 2) if the programme is going to be on at the same time each week. But, many times this isn't the case. The Apprentice shifted to another day for a couple of weeks this year for example, sometime football coverage delays a programme, and programmes like The Restaurant are on at funny times, with two episodes in a week, or if you wanted to record the X Factor, the show varies in length and starting time every week. Therefore, Series Link is ESSENTIAL. And I just hope it is possible for them to add this feature in the future, and it isn't missing due to hardware limitations or something. Just seems strange that it isn't there on day one.
Well you don't actually want Freeview's series link functionality, it's pretty damn awful. The PS3 should have been able to do what Topfield PVRs do, however, which is to create searches based on the EPG data. E.g. set up a search for ________ on Thursday between 9pm and 11pm on all channels etc.

This works much better than the Freeview series link functionality, though it does have the drawback of potentially duplicating episodes if you don't set it up right. (e.g. if you set it to search all days of the week and the channel broadcasts the same episode again another time)

There's no reason the PS3 shouldn't have been able to have this kind of functionality as it's just simple saved searches on the EPG data that get applied whenever it's updated.

As the serieslink functionality does now broadcast episode names, it could be taken one step further and avoid repeats as long as that info is being broadcast. (channels are very inconsistent about it)

Danj said:
Well of course, the big minus with this thing is that it is Freeview and Freeview is mostly pants in comparison to what's available on Sky Digital. It's a pity Sky is so anal-retentive about their platform and won't make CAMs available for it.
Well Freeview is actually higher bitrate on a lot of the channels that it shares with Sky. Sky is all about the number of channels they can get rather than the quality of them, which is ridiculous when you're having to pay for it.

The biggest problem with Freeview is that films on most channels are often cropped and not shown in their original aspect ratio. The only channel that consistently shows films in their OAR seems to be Film4. Most channels seem to crop 2.35:1 films to 16:9 and I've even seen some older 2.35:1 films cropped to 4:3.

Yes, I'm a cheapskate that would rather wait for a film to appear on TV than buy it on DVD. If it's something I've seen and really enjoyed (so I'd watch it again) then I consider picking it up on Blu-Ray.

iceatcs

I have PlayTV and I love how the remote play on PSP. Esp I'm watching TV with teletext subtitle on the PSP, it is rarely that portable have digital teletext.
Cool part is the recorded clips can enable/disable teletext subtitle not hard coded but not when upload clip to XMB (I hope it will patch it if I can option to hard code subtitle or not)

I am thinking to switch because it is more smoother and quicker switch channel than my internal freeview HDTV, again I don't watch live TV that much only sports and some news.

But I hope they will add more feature in the future like CAM card set-up which it should work without card because all you need to put the CAM card numbers in the set-up and PS3 should able to "emulate" CAM card input by software.

Danj

iceatcs said:
But I hope they will add more feature in the future like CAM card set-up which it should work without card because all you need to put the CAM card numbers in the set-up and PS3 should able to "emulate" CAM card input by software.

Can't see that happening, even PC CAM emulators require an active subscription card in a card reader to be able to work. Also, it wouldn't be any good for services like Sky where there are no CAMs.

But mainly yeah, my problem with Freeview is the fact that the big-name shows like those that have already been mentioned are either not on there at all or are so far behind it's hardly worth it.

iceatcs

Danj said:
Can't see that happening, even PC CAM emulators require an active subscription card in a card reader to be able to work. Also, it wouldn't be any good for services like Sky where there are no CAMs.

Oh well, sound like PlayTV need addition hardware if CAM card.
Maybe it still possible without because PC is open where the licence might be impossible provide for software CAM emulation otherwise hacker can make CAM card if expose. PS3 ain't open like PC where you can't make program to expose.
I dunno, it's far from my head like I dunno how CAM work with TV signal.

The reason is for my Setanta Sports which it is require CAM card on freeview. I have one CAM reader on my HDTV.

EDIT: By the way, there is little "face-lift" for PS3 blu-ray remote controller. It will provide a sticker mask inside the PlayTV packet.
DSC00093.jpg

pswii60

65536 said:
/loads of stuff.
Fact is, integrated Freeview on the 32WLT66 looks tons better than PlayTV, which is more washed out. I don't know why you're even bringing sharpness settings in to it? I'm well aware of sharpness settings, being a bit of an av geek myself. The photos you have taken are from SKY+, not the integrated Freeview. Besides, this is also the general consensus on most AV forums too - many are unhappy with PlayTV's picture quality in comparison to their integrated Freeview receiver which appears sharper.

As for series link, the BBC series link works almost flawlessly. As I said in my post, it's a shame many channels aren't providing the correct meta data at the moment, but this will only improve, and either way it's no excuse for PlayTV to be lacking this feature. All I hope is it will arrive in a future update.

Banned
pswii60 said:
Fact is, integrated Freeview on the 32WLT66 looks tons better than PlayTV, which is more washed out. I don't know why you're even bringing sharpness settings in to it? I'm well aware of sharpness settings, being a bit of an av geek myself. The photos you have taken are from SKY+, not the integrated Freeview. Besides, this is also the general consensus on most AV forums too - many are unhappy with PlayTV's picture quality in comparison to their integrated Freeview receiver which appears sharper.
“it seems 'out of focus', a very soft picture” is why I mentioned sharpness and noise reduction.

As I said, if you are seeing a difference in sharpness, there is a chance that there's less sharpening being applied (or at least less obvious sharpening) to the PS3's HD output compared to Freeview's SD output. The photos were simply an illustration of why sharpness should be at -50 on those particular displays, it just happened to be Sky in those examples.

Toshiba's scaling does cause a bit of ringing even if you do get sharpness set properly, so the PS3's smoother scaling may give it the appearance of being softer.

“Washed out” is a completely different issue from being “out of focus” and is more likely to be a levels issue. As those Toshibas don't have per-input controls, you probably either have Freeview being too dark, or the PS3 being too light and you should calibrate for whichever is going to get the most use.

I'm not saying there aren't problems with PlayTV, just that with those specific TVs, sharpness needs to be at -50 to do a proper comparison, and that I would check to see if there are any NR options when playing back files via PlayTV to see if that helps.

pswii60

Just noticed that another 'now standard' missing feature is the ability to just show 'Movies' for the next week, or 'Entertainment', 'Documentaries' etc. I can do this on my old Freeview PVR. It's great to be able to see all the movies that are on for the next 7 days and then just set the ones you want to record.

Hopefully they'll add this in the next update, it'd take them 5 minutes to do. Just baffled why these sort of obvious features aren't in it day one though?

Banned
pswii60 said:
Just noticed that another 'now standard' missing feature is the ability to just show 'Movies' for the next week, or 'Entertainment', 'Documentaries' etc. I can do this on my old Freeview PVR. It's great to be able to see all the movies that are on for the next 7 days and then just set the ones you want to record.
That is strange, especially considering that Sony's own Freeview box (still one of the best around) has that very feature.

Tntnnbltn

http://www.t3.com/news/ps3-playtv-ships-85-000-units-to-uk-in-two-weeks?=36814 said:
PS3 PlayTV ships 85,000 units to UK in two weeks
Freesat's 100,000 sales milestone puts things in perspective

Sony is giving itself a big pat on the back this morning as it celebrates 85,000 PlayTV units sent to retailers over the two weeks since the PS3 Freeview recorder accessory started shipping to retailers.

Although Sony does have a tendency to be a little sneaky when it comes to these kind of figures - units shipped isn't a measure of units sold by any stretch - it shows that retailers are expecting gadget fans to be all over the £70 device this Xmas.

To help put the numbers into perspective, Freesat - the UK's new-ish free-to-air satellite service featuring high definition programming as well as most of the same channels that Freeview offers - is celebrating its own milestone this morning. Freesat has now reached 100,000 unit sales, but it has taken a full five months to get there.
(In before Shipped != Sold)

pswii60

Tntnnbltn said:
(In before Shipped != Sold)
Well, this is old news. I read that article on MCV over a week ago.

And all I care about is when Sony are going to update this thing. Faster load times, better integration with the XMB, genre search, and series link are required.

Also, upon a weekly repeat, I expect it to be able to automatically detect the programme from the original name, and therefore get the recording timings from the EPG. Currently, after the recording of a first episode, it goes in to manual timing. So if the show overruns in subsequent weeks, you miss the ending. Of course, series link would also sort this out, but if they can't even implement this standard feature, then I doubt they'll ever be incorporating series link.

And, if you set a manual timed recording on a standard PVR, it'll automatically detect the name of the programme by using the first longest average. PlayTV 'doesn't bother'', it just names the file 'Manual Recording 9:00-10:00'.

Too much lazy implementation IMHO. If you're going to do something, do it properly. Especially when a cheap Lidl Freeview PVR would do it.

Lain

I bought PlayTV and I really like the quality of the recording. The only problem I have with it right now is that some registrations skip here and there (and the epg is always empty... wtf!), but I guess that is a problem with the strength of my signal.
Now I seriously need to upgrade the PS3 HDD.

pswii60

Lain said:
I bought PlayTV and I really like the quality of the recording. The only problem I have with it right now is that some registrations skip here and there (and the epg is always empty... wtf!), but I guess that is a problem with the strength of my signal.
Now I seriously need to upgrade the PS3 HDD.
What do you mean 'registrations'?

EPG can take time to fill up, but 'now and next' info should be instant.

Lain

pswii60 said:
What do you mean 'registrations'?

EPG can take time to fill up, but 'now and next' info should be instant.

Meh, I totally messed up on that word. I meant the recorded programs.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
iceatcs said:
EDIT: By the way, there is little "face-lift" for PS3 blu-ray remote controller. It will provide a sticker mask inside the PlayTV packet.
DSC00093.jpg

It's cool, but sometimes the buttons get stuck :(

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Heeeeey GAF

I did an update for PlayTV and it said it can now record HD

What the fuck is up with that, and how do I get on board

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The update has enabled DTT recording in Ireland too, must be the same system as used in Australia.

Sorry to bump ths ld thread, but I just got a play ty for 25 euros, and I would like to know, now that it supports HD, if we can actually record HD signal. Thanks a lot !

iceatcs

Yeah you can record and watch HD if your DVB-T have HD channel in your area.

In UK, we don't have one yet.

Top Bottom