• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

Bitanator

Vita < 6k

Puss_in_boots_ooooh_cat_by_kaza_mori-d4ll1dx.gif

Ndless

Banned
What do you mean? This is already shaping up to be there most competitive gen in well, generations!

Its actually pretty exciting. About time we had a real fighting landscape. Going to be great for consumers

What? You call this beat down a competition? Well, I guess you could say the only reason MS is trying so hard with these bundles, discounts and software updates is because of PS4's success, so I guess that's a good thing, but what about Sony? Not that they're doing anything wrong, but if this were true competition, Sony would certainly be hungrier.

Then again, their message and focus has stayed so transparent, so unshakable, that you almost want to buy their console on principle alone. This "competition" will get boring pretty fast; after all, Sony-owned studios will always output more exclusives than MS, third-parties will see behemoths like BF4, Destiny, Madden and (maybe) CoD sell more on PS4, and eventually wonder why bother?

You can only discount the console so much. And there's only so many software updates you can do 'improve' the console. Not to mention, updates Sony could comfortably replicate if need be.

I don't own either console yet, but I'm petty much dead-set on the Xbox for Horizon 2 alone. I'm getting the PS4 next along with Driveclub. Something tells me, however, that if this trend continues for a year or so, the only console in my living room will be the PS4. And I'm not sure, but if it ends up being like the PS2 era, I think I'm ok with that.

Pacther said they were. Don't see why he would unless they are accurate. His predictions are usually high. These are low for August.

Pachter only gives predictions. They may or may not be accurate but he's no better than a skilled GAFfer at predictions...with slightly more information available to him.

Usobuko

Banned
Seems a bit like the chicken and the egg. "The Vita doesn't sell well, so we don't talk about it." "They don't market the Vita, so it doesn't sell well."

It's like the Nintendo 3rd party cycle/curse, I don't think even pushing and developing AAA first party software helps much. Not when the Western studios that are dominating in this climate and region are favouring mobile over handheld devices along with the mainstream audience.

TomShoe

Banned
So annoying people are acting surprised over Vita selling like shit. It's been selling like shit for months now.

Any word on how well Disgaea 4 Revisited sold?

Pachter only gives predictions. They may or may not be accurate but he's no better than a skilled GAFfer at predictions...with slightly more information available to him.

True but wouldn't you she he usually does high? If he said these Monday they must be close. If they are lower then man that is bad.

Most Call of Duty names don't have the $500 MSRP attached to the box, so I think I'm guided with that assessment. The latter point says more to me about the comparative lack of interest in Sunset.

It doesn't matter whether a Call of Duty has $500 attached to it. Its one of the most massive brands in gaming and many last gen CoD fans will purchase a XB1 CoD bundle. They are not paying $500 to only play CoD, so I'm not sure what you're really suggesting.

They are paying to upgrade their last gen system, while CoD is packaged in the box. The deal is a fair value as it's not just XB1 + CoD= 500. It's a limited edition XB1 with a limited edition controller plus CoD and a 1 TB HDD, so it could be argued whether or not the Sunset or this is a better value depending on how big of a CoD fan you are.

Saying that it's indicative of interest in Sunset is silly as that bundle contains a new color for the Xbox One and an exclusive game. Many PS4 owners on here are interested in XB1 as a "secondary" system for exclusives and are going to purchase the bundle. There are also many looking forward to purchasing the bundle who have no current gen console yet.

Finally, I'm not sure how you can say that there's not much interest in Sunset Overdrive. Looking at retailer charts it's doing as well or better than many established brands like Far Cry 4, Forza Horizon 2 and Dragon Age on XB1. It seems to be doing very well for a new IP that's not a mass market shooter.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
People know I'm not talking about a competitive marketplace meaning "console wars" right? I don't care who sells more than who, as long as people are confident in their products and continue to investment in them... Giving consumers more choice, options, and often, better deals. It's happening every quarter in various sectors of the industry. It's a good time. 700k hardware units different and only 30k gap this month, along with only a 1mm software sale differential is nothing going to knock anyone out... Cmon. They are going to continue to hammer the market.

Then again, this is day 0 of an NPD thread so maybe I'll come back in a day or so haha.

People know I'm not talking about a competitive marketplace meaning "console wars" right? I don't care who sells more than who, as long as people are confident in their products and continue to investment in them... Giving consumers more choice, options, and often, better deals. It's happening every quarter in various sectors of the industry. It's a good time. 700k hardware units different and only 30k gap this month, along with only a 1mm software sale differential is nothing going to knock anyone out... Cmon. They are going to continue to hammer the market.

Then again, this is day 0 of an NPD thread so maybe I'll come back in a day or so haha.

oh?
nice slip dude :p

good for me I guess, my prediction had a 38k difference

Top Bottom