• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PS Plus Edition Delayed by Server Issues

JPS Kai

GameStop promo boxes list Drive Club as coming with a 3-month PS+ trial. Does anyone know if that's really the case?

(I know it's off topic, but figured this would be better than asking in the network thread)

epmode

Here's a handy tip:

If you post a complaint about "entitled" gamers, there's a very good chance that you you've made a terrible post! Case in point:

Holy shit the level of entitlement on here, the PS blog, and other forums is palpable. It's a delay of a matter of days, get over yourselves. I'm sure there are other games you can play in the meantime whilst you wait for your free retail game.

For the 138906264726276th time in this thread, it's not a free game.

Here's a handy tip:

If you post a complaint about "entitled" gamers, there's a very good chance that you you've made a terrible post! Case in point:

Didn't a mod recently break down how complaining about it DOES in fact make you entitled? Something about the PS Plus's TOS or something...
not sure

Gaz_RB

It still isn't out ?....No way this isn't being done on purpose.

I think it is on purpose-but not for any sort of conspiracy reasons. The servers currently are not working for even the people who have purchased it and have been playing it the past two days. They are holding the PS+ version back on purpose as to not break the Driveclub servers any further. Not because they explicitly want people to impulse buy the game because of the long wait.

hawk2025

That is not a lot of data though, unless they really fucked up...

Its not even uploading full telemetry for ghosts right? It doesn't store replays online? (there are no replays I've heard?) just point values for speed and drift combos? Lap times? this shit is literally a few kb of data.

There are full replays of ghosts.

You know, two strikes already. Perhaps actually read up on it before the outrage post?

drotahorror

Servers seem to be slowly coming up.

What do you mean on purpose? You think they don't want more people to buy the game? If you think it's BS you're not getting a free game on time, try buying the game and not having any features working.

Delaying it til server issues are minimal is the best course of action for them. They need to worry about the potential buyers who will upgrade. Having a product that's half functional would only push people away.

GameStop promo boxes list Drive Club as coming with a 3-month PS+ trial. Does anyone know if that's really the case?

(I know it's off topic, but figured this would be better than asking in the network thread)

Considering this is the PS+ thread, you might be better off asking in the OT thread since that's filled with people who bought the game, unless you're just trying to add fuel to the fire, lol.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So I take it you can't buy things like cars and tracks buffet-style with the Plus version, you only have an option to fully upgrade? I was hoping I could buy one or two more tracks and call it a day.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
These driveclub delay threads are easily gaf at its most embarrassing.

Yep, i see a lot of babies that can't handle a little delay because of real technical issues. A little delay isn't gonna hurt plus subscribers, it's only been like a a day at most, have some fucking patience.

NeoGIF

I just cannot believe that, after all the delays that they had, they couldn't manage to simply have their servers ready in time for the PS Plus version.

THEY ONLY HAD ONE JOB!

Lol.

riotous

Banned
Didn't a mod recently break down how complaining about it DOES in fact make you entitled? Something about the PS Plus's TOS or something...
not sure

There has to be a healthy medium between acting like it's a war crime and pointing out that "technically" you aren't entitled to things just because of marketed release dates.

Many posts here are ridiculous and deserve the scorn they are getting for how angry and upset people are.. bordering on maybe even having concern for some of these people lol; however we should still expect companies to do their best to not market us subscription access to game licenses and miss release dates.

Sony marketed Drive Club "PS+" for over 3 months as something you should expect with a PS+ subscription you could buy at any time, and they said you should expect it at PS4 launch. They waited until October, a little over a month before release to announce their vague delay.

As someone who always planned to buy the game, and has PS+ because I just don't see a good reason not to pay for it's meager fee considering all it offers, I am not the person to be annoyed by this particular situation. But I can still try to be objective and see that it makes sense there are people who expected DC PS+ to be a large part of the value of the subscription they bought. They might have even bought that sub over a year ago, expecting to have already been playing this game for many months by now... not having to renew another year to have that pleasure.

Granted that is a macro look at the microcosm of what is happening with this 1-whatever day delay scenario and botched servers for the paid product; but it's conceptually the same.. and considering it's the same game, it is sort of insult to injury to people who've been hoping to play the game for months.

Despite the fact that it's free* (nudge nudge wink wink) I think it does give people more of a reason to complain about release dates being pushed back.. more reason to expect clearer communication.

If nothing else it's a lesson for Sony; the advertising of "New" games on PS+ is something to be careful with considering the tendency for games to miss their release dates. Part of that lesson is seeing the immature reactions; they can be expected... I mean.. people get angry when games get delayed whether they are tied to a subscription service or not.

SegaShack

Guys we can't insult Sony. How dare you feel entitled to something you paid for and were promised!

Sony continues to innovate and does so further by featuring the first game to get delayed after release.

#4TheGamers

BigDug13

This game was originally going to be free for PS+ at launch. That would have been what, around 1 million systems sold with most of them having PS+?

Now we are at what, 10 million consoles sold with most of them being PS+ subscribers? So now Driveclub has to have servers for 10 million gamers, far more gamers than would ever buy the game normally. 10 million people jumping their servers is about what Diablo 3 experienced at launch. And this game definitely does not deserve the same level of worldwide server support as Diablo 3. Sorry.

FleetFeet

This game was originally going to be free for PS+ at launch. That would have been what, around 1 million systems sold with most of them having PS+?

Now we are at what, 10 million consoles sold with most of them being PS+ subscribers? So now Driveclub has to have servers for 10 million gamers, far more gamers than would ever buy the game normally. 10 million people jumping their servers is about what Diablo 3 experienced at launch. And this game definitely does not deserve the same level of worldwide server support as Diablo 3. Sorry.

Oh shit, we got some logic up in here...

I don't know how people can't come to this conclusion. It's not a very difficult concept to grasp.

Kyonashi

Here's a handy tip:

It's a heavily reduced prime title as part of a premium service and you'll have it in a couple of days. The people calling Sony 'morons' and whiny that they have to wait 24-72 hours are an embarrassment.

schaft0620

FINALLY SOMEONE WITH SOME FUCKING COMMON SENSE

How much does the PS+ version of the game cost?

SegaShack

Yes they had an extra year though.

this is the best post of this thread... also think we should have an offline option for playing at release...

The servers for the people who bought the game aren't even working. I bought the full digital edition and it took about 20 hours to download the entire game (didn't pre-load) and now I still can't connect. I really don't think it is.

It's a heavily reduced prime title as part of a premium service and you'll have it in a couple of days. The people calling Sony 'morons' and whiny that they have to wait 24-72 hours are an embarrassment.
I wouldn't call them "morons" if it wasn't for the fact that they took an extra year to work on the game. There shouldn't be any kinks in the title. And if there are kinks, they shouldn't be game-breaking like this. This is pretty unacceptable.

Guys we can't insult Sony. How dare you feel entitled to something you paid for and were promised!

Sony continues to innovate and does so further by featuring the first game to get delayed after release.

#4TheGamers
Who pays more, the people who spent $50-60 on the full edition of the game or the people who pay less than $5 a month for PS+. IT doesn't even matter, even if they were able to release it right this second it would take at least a day to download considering even now it takes 15-20 hours to download for people who are just buying the game.

Griss

Amazed it took so long to see this obvious point raised. How many copies could they have sold so far? 50k? 100k? More? No matter what it won't even be close to the potential 5 million people jumping on within a day of the PS+ version going up, and that's assuming only half the people with PS4's bother to try it out.

If they can't handle the retail launch, then I can't see them ever being ready for the PS+ version launch. It must be an utter nightmare over there. I'm guessing whoever came up with the 'it connects online automatically' idea is getting tons of shit for not figuring out that this could happen considering they knew it was a PS+ game for a year and a half at least.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Here's a handy tip:

It's criminal how much you do actually pay for it.

$50. Also there's only one flaw with that post in that I agree with what he's saying, but we're not even at that point right now. The only ones on the servers right now are the ones who bought the game as the "free" PS+ version isn't out there. And they're struggling to support the # of people who bought it.

EDIT: Looks like I was finally able to connect and see the social hub, but it's struggling to load anything in those screens and club options are still greyed out. Progress?

im not mad or anything, but I kinda wish I could just play the free game that was supposed to come out yesterday...Not a huge race car fan but this sounded like fun to try out.

Oh well :(

Not really. They have had a year to realise they need better servers then launch, and still decided to skimp.

Thats also assuming that every playstation owner owns ps+ and wants to download driveclub , which is probably less then half of the actual installbase.

Koojay

New post from DRIVECLUB Facebook:

We're just as frustrated as you about the server performance issues right now. We want you to be racing with clubs and having fun playing challenges, not checking facebook updates from us to see if the servers are updated yet.

We'll have more info for you later today (Thursday) so please bear with us while we work through this.

In case you don't already know, the servers are up and running but they are hitting their performance limits, so they won't accept new connections until one of the current online players frees up their space (allowing another to join in their place, which happens automatically and player selection is random).

If and when you get online, you should not have any connectivity issues during the remainder of your session. When you finish and disconnect, you'll free up a space for someone else. This is obviously not ideal, especially given that there are a lot of players waiting to connect, but that's how it's working right now.

The whole team here at Evolution Studios have got their shoulders to the wheel working hard to improve this situation: developing updates and upgrades to the servers - and testing these updates around the clock so that we can get them live. We hope you can enjoy the game offline while we work to improve the server performance and get you connected - and we're sorry that you're having to wait to play the game online as we intended for it to be played.

https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/707655152652181

Pillville

So multiplayer is free on Live, and it would be ok to be down for a few days?
Because you're not paying for multiplayer, you're paying for Live, and multiplayer comes free with it.

riotous

Banned
I'm guessing whoever came up with the 'it connects online automatically' idea is getting tons of shit for not figuring out that this could happen considering they knew it was a PS+ game for a year and a half at least.

The auto connect code is unlikely to be a culprit here; they hinted at, then jjust outright confirmed that it's a lack of server resources issue.

I don't see any confirmation that the auto-connect code, which is standard fair these days, is overly aggressive to be on it's own causing a problem.

They need more servers according to their own admission, and the rather obvious state of the situation. The fact they couldn't immediately respond indicates they aren't hosted on a dynamic cloud. Or at least not one with any more room lol. The fact that lots of people are also causing "Please sir, may I have some Session?" is never going to make a full server very happy, but the fact they are claiming sessions are fine for those actually connected leads me to believe they are gracefully handling the requests... it's just.. too much.

Late Flag

There has to be a healthy medium between acting like it's a war crime and pointing out that "technically" you aren't entitled to things just because of marketed release dates.

Many posts here are ridiculous and deserve the scorn they are getting for how angry and upset people are.. bordering on maybe even having concern for some of these people lol; however we should still expect companies to do their best to not market us subscription access to game licenses and miss release dates.

Sony marketed Drive Club "PS+" for over 3 months as something you should expect with a PS+ subscription you could buy at any time, and they said you should expect it at PS4 launch. They waited until October, a little over a month before release to announce their vague delay.

As someone who always planned to buy the game, and has PS+ because I just don't see a good reason not to pay for it's meager fee considering all it offers, I am not the person to be annoyed by this particular situation. But I can still try to be objective and see that it makes sense there are people who expected DC PS+ to be a large part of the value of the subscription they bought. They might have even bought that sub over a year ago, expecting to have already been playing this game for many months by now... not having to renew another year to have that pleasure.

Granted that is a macro look at the microcosm of what is happening with this 1-whatever day delay scenario and botched servers for the paid product; but it's conceptually the same.. and considering it's the same game, it is sort of insult to injury to people who've been hoping to play the game for months.

Despite the fact that it's free* (nudge nudge wink wink) I think it does give people more of a reason to complain about release dates being pushed back.. more reason to expect clearer communication.

If nothing else it's a lesson for Sony; the advertising of "New" games on PS+ is something to be careful with considering the tendency for games to miss their release dates. Part of that lesson is seeing the immature reactions; they can be expected... I mean.. people get angry when games get delayed whether they are tied to a subscription service or not.

Very well said. I already own the game and I'm enjoying it a lot despite being unable to connect to the servers. Theoretically the plight of the folks who were wanting to pick up the India sections on PS+ doesn't affect me personally, and if anything benefits me if it gets us full-freight guys up and running first. But Sony promised this to PS+ subscribers way, way back. At one point, I was eagerly looking forward to playing the free version at launch, so I'm sure quite a few people were looking forward to it the PS+ version now.

It's not the end of the world that the PS+ version got delayed, and this is not a valid reason to completely lose your shit, but as a consumer it is totally reasonable to expect a company to live up to its side of a bargain that you're paying for. The whole "entitlement" argument pisses me off for that reason. These folks aren't asking for any special favors because they feel entitled to hand-outs. They're just want Sony to provide what they were promised when they forked over their $50.

gotoadgo

Very well said. I already own the game and I'm enjoying it a lot despite being unable to connect to the servers. Theoretically the plight of the folks who were wanting to pick up the India sections on PS+ doesn't affect me personally, and if anything benefits me if it gets us full-freight guys up and running first. But Sony promised this to PS+ subscribers way, way back. At one point, I was eagerly looking forward to playing the free version at launch, so I'm sure quite a few people were looking forward to it the PS+ version now.

It's not the end of the world that the PS+ version got delayed, and this is not a valid reason to completely lose your shit, but as a consumer it is totally reasonable to expect a company to live up to its side of a bargain that you're paying for. The whole "entitlement" argument pisses me off for that reason. These folks aren't asking for any special favors because they feel entitled to hand-outs. They're just want Sony to provide what they were promised when they forked over their $50.
That's fine to want what they paid for but Sony has never said they won't provide it, there's just a delay in it getting to them. The reactions are insanely disproportionate to the situation and I agree with what some others have said, it's embarrassing to read.

Honestly, I feel like if Sony had just come out and said, "we're going to release the PS+ version of Driveclub two weeks after release so our subscribers can see what all the fuss is about," things would be a whole lot better on both sides. As it is, Sony's unfortunately had to hold themselves to a promise they made almost two years ago, but what would be worse? Breaking your promise a few weeks/months before launch and owning up to it, or leaving PS+ subscribers in limbo and still not keeping your promise?

I'm definitely not on the hate train about all this--if I really wanted the game, I would've bought it outright--but Sony could've handled this better, no doubt.

Top Bottom