• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Don't know whether I should stick around in this thread or not. Game comes out in 2 days for us in Australia and I don't want to spoil anything in case I get too excited about playing this finally.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
speedpop said:
Don't know whether I should stick around in this thread or not. Game comes out in 2 days for us in Australia and I don't want to spoil anything in case I get too excited about playing this finally.

There are a fair few Euro's planning to get in on the fun we can totally spoiler up in the week up to the US release rofl :3

Volcynika

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
HK-47 said:
Just a question, not trying to start anything, but has anything been mentioned about this coming to 360?

Yeah, don't start anything.

It is PS3 exclusive for now, and because of that we will treat it as such.

The least thing we need is a bunch of whiny people complain that it is not on their home console.

HK-47 said:
Awww man. =(

Guess I'll have to wait to play it.

WHAT DID I JUST SAY???

speedpop

Yeah don't think I'll step into the thread till the 4th Nov just in case I blurt something out. People can say "just spoiler tag that bitch!" but it's not the same.. some people are inclined to read spoilers regardless of knowing not to.

RpgN

It looks like the store that is having a pricedrop, won't be ordering the game in time. They did the same with FF1 on the psp. They got it after 2 months while other stores were perfect on time. If that is indeed the case, I will just get it within 2 days. Screw the pricedrop, I want my game!

Hcoregamer00

speedpop said:
Yeah don't think I'll step into the thread till the 4th Nov just in case I blurt something out. People can say "just spoiler tag that bitch!" but it's not the same.. some people are inclined to read spoilers regardless of knowing not to.

Yeah, the people that played this game should avoid this thread.

Hell, you have a Japanese thread you can post in if you really feel like spoiling it.

Hcoregamer00

McBradders said:
Yet us Euros are free to pepperspray the thread as we see fit :3

Sure, but spoiler tag that it or else there will be hell to pay.

Just look at the Castlevania thread as an example, someone got an "early" copy and inadvertently started spoiling the damn game.

.....and no, saying Selvaria is Evil is not a spoiler.

speedpop

I can't help but see the GAF Impressions picture scroll by and have the Succeeded Wish Orchestra version song (the one that plays during the intro in the demo) from the game play in my head. It's nice to have a thread where everyone is positive about a game's demo and anticipate the eventual release of the full game.

RpgN

Paracelsus said:
thehut? If so, damn. -.-

Nah, a Dutch store you probably don't know about. You're getting the game from thehut?

The game got an 8.5 from gameplayer. Really nice score.

Hcoregamer00

speedpop said:
I can't help but see the GAF Impressions picture scroll by and have the Succeeded Wish Orchestra version song (the one that plays during the intro in the demo) from the game play in my head. It's nice to have a thread where everyone is positive about a game's demo and anticipate the eventual release of the full game.

Frankly, I was quite shocked at how well received the game was also.

I expected to have 10 people posting in the official thread max. That is how bad I expected the game to sell.

Billen

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I disagree with that assertion that it is a marriage between western and asian game development influences.

If anything, it is an evolution of a traditional subgenre of Japanese RPG's called Strategy RPG's. The game has all the hallmarks of a strategy RPG, but it adds new twists and polishes the gameplay to perfection.

Instead of a grid based system, it breaks free of that shell and uses a more dynamic movement system that takes into account the type of weapon being carried and the specialty of the soldier. Instead of having static characters moving on this grid based system, there is dynamic cross fire as you move from one location to another, ratcheting up the intensity. Instead of taking place in medieval worlds, the setting takes place in a vicious war of conquest in a modern setting.

I have played the demo, and while I agree to some extent I still wonder from where they got the idea to use free movement, fire upon movement and so on.

All this put aside, however, since I couldn't really care less as long as I get to play the game soon. :D

McBradders

Hcoregamer00 said:
Sure, but spoiler tag that it or else there will be hell to pay.

Just look at the Castlevania thread as an example, someone got an "early" copy and inadvertently started spoiling the damn game.

.....and no, saying Selvaria is Evil is not a spoiler.

Oh, well phooey.

Diablos

I said I was gonna buy this on day one, but I was late paying a bill and now I don't know when I'll get it. Plus, I should really beat Tales first.

Not to mention, I'm gonna have to decide between this and Last Remnant. I'll buy them both, but which one should I play first? Hmm.

McBradders

Diablos said:
I said I was gonna buy this on day one, but I was late paying a bill and now I don't know when I'll get it. Plus, I should really beat Tales first.

Not to mention, I'm gonna have to decide between this and Last Remnant. I'll buy them both, but which one should I play first? Hmm.

Sega needs your love.

kiryogi

Banned
Billen said:
I have played the demo, and while I agree to some extent I still wonder from where they got the idea to use free movement, fire upon movement and so on.

All this put aside, however, since I couldn't really care less as long as I get to play the game soon. :D

It actually resembles a highly evolved version of Sakura Taisen's ARMs system. Which was in 3,4,5 and the remake of 1.

Finally looked over RPGfan's review. Right on the head with some things I had issues with:

One of the inconsistencies that perhaps other JRPG fans won't notice is that even with the story's distinctly 1940's fantastical European setting, many characters still bear all of the hallmarks of contemporary anime. For a gang of roughnecks and soldiers, many of them seem easily embarrassed, constantly formal, and incapable of showing their true feelings. Because of this, even semi-interesting characters like Welkin and Isara will feel familiar and predictable. Even an anime nerd such as myself can admit how rare it is for Japanese writers to convincingly create non-Japanese personalities. It's a flaw, but not a huge one.

Even from the onset, you'll know this game is Japanese with how it's designed. Which really does clash a bit with the European setting.

Volcynika

Diablos said:

Valkyria! Besides, maybe Last Remnant will follow Infinite Undiscovery and drop the price in a month.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Diablos said:

You'd get Last Remnant over this? You must like bad-looking RPGs :p

Durante

gogogow said:
The demo was pretty good, thinking of buying this game.

Does this game have a dual audio option (JP/US voice)?
Between this, the release date stuff earlier, and some people asking for impressions I think no one actually reads the OP :lol

Anyway, this thread already has a lot more posts than I expected before the release, most of them are even on topic!

zoukka

Was so hyped about the impressions, but the demo was really just "ok" material.

Beware the NeoGAF hype. Always.

batbeg

Volcynika said:
Valkyria! Besides, maybe Last Remnant will follow Infinite Undiscovery and drop the price in a month.

I'd say I have much more luck with Sega games dropping in price almost instantly :p
They'll both be £20 in a month.

Durante

zoukka said:
Was so hyped about the impressions, but the demo was really just "ok" material.

Beware the NeoGAF hype. Always.
While I agree with the general sentiment, the OP has 46 people who disagree with you regarding this particular demo. I think the older thread had 2 other posters that were less than impressed. That's a 93% approval rating! On a place that's as cynical/negative about demos as GAF usually is I consider that very impressive.

Edit:
My local store I plan to get Valkyria from just updated the release date for the UK version from 10/31 to 10/30. Nice! Every day counts :D

Quixzlizx

Gamer @ Heart said:
I hope Sega has some realistic expectations for this game...

I hope to pick it up early next year for cheap.

I really love it when people come into the official thread for a game just to say they hope it bombs.

shpankey

not an idiot
damn you gaf, after this thread i downloaded the demo, now i have another must buy this year. very damn cool. i loved it.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
shpankey said:
damn you gaf, after this thread i downloaded the demo, now i have another must buy this year.
That is a good thing...a very good thing :D

Well I am going to pay off my pre-order today. I have actually put this game in front of Gears and Resistance.

Durante

shpankey said:
damn you gaf, after this thread i downloaded the demo, now i have another must buy this year. very damn cool. i loved it.
Way to go! 94% GAF demo approval rating! :D

Btw, Games(tm) Magazine review:
Valkyria Chronicles [PS3] 9/10
"one of the most entertaining, most playable RPGs of the year"

el Diablo

Banned
Durante said:
Btw, Games(tm) Magazine review:
Valkyria Chronicles [PS3] 9/10
"one of the most entertaining, most playable RPGs of the year"

While i'm glad it got a good score i have to laugh because of the "most playable RPGs of the year". So that basically puts it up against itself and Disgaea 3 (i don't include Sonata since it's been out for 360 for awhile) :lol? Well if he's including 360 RPGs then i guess it makes but still.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
el Diablo said:
While i'm glad it got a good score i have to laugh because of the "most playable RPGs of the year". So that basically puts it up against itself and Disgaea 3 (i don't include Sonata since it's been out for 360 for awhile) :lol? Well if he's including 360 RPGs then i guess it makes but still.
Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Final Fantasy IV, Chocobo Dungeon, etc..

Durante

el Diablo said:
While i'm glad it got a good score i have to laugh because of the "most playable RPGs of the year". So that basically puts it up against itself and Disgaea 3 (i don't include Sonata since it's been out for 360 for awhile) :lol?
Huh? It's not a PS3 exclusive magazine - there have been a great many RPGs released this year. (Wiki: "GamesTM is a UK-based multi-format computer and video games magazine, covering many video game platforms including PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, GameCube, Xbox, PlayStation 2, PC games, Game Boy Advance, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS and Arcade machines.")

Edit: Beaten!
Sage00 said:
Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Final Fantasy IV, Chocobo Dungeon, etc..
Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Fable 2 (in the same issue), TWEWY, FF7CC, DQ4...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rykomatsu said:
because good looking RPG's are automatically more fun to play, right? :p

Well, I don't want to judge too much, but I think TLR will be a poor game. I definitely wouldn't choose it over Valkyria.

The OP says this game is launching on 4/11/08 in the US, yet Gamestop has this listed as 11/04/08, which is accurate? Logic and tells me to never trust a Gamestop release date because they are sometimes inaccurate but I want to believe...

Durante

patsu said:
What is TLR ?
The Last Remnant. A multiplatform (PCPS360, 360 first) RPG by Square-Enix "for the World". Famous for its novel group-based battle system and infamous for its middling UE3 graphics.

I'm not convinced it will be bad, but I'd be extremely surprised if it turns out to be better than VC. Now get back on topic! :lol

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
The OP says this game is launching on 4/11/08 in the US, yet Gamestop has this listed as 11/04/08, which is accurate?
Both have the same meaning.

Thanks for actually reading the OP, I switched it to the ISO standard for dates to prevent further confusion.

el Diablo

Banned
Durante said:
Huh? It's not a PS3 exclusive magazine - there have been a great many RPGs released this year. (Wiki: "GamesTM is a UK-based multi-format computer and video games magazine, covering many video game platforms including PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, GameCube, Xbox, PlayStation 2, PC games, Game Boy Advance, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS and Arcade machines.")

Edit: Beaten!
Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Fable 2 (in the same issue), TWEWY, FF7CC, DQ4...

Let me clarify then, i'm looking at this as a PS2-3/PSP only owner heh. My RPG year has been mostly catalog PS2 titles so it's been a very very dry year for me, especially since (i'm sure i'll get stoned for this) i thought FFVIICC was garbage.

You have no idea how much i'm looking forward to playing a HD next gen RPG :lol

Durante

el Diablo said:
My RPG year has been mostly catalog PS2 titles so it's been a very very dry year for me, especially since (i'm sure i'll get stoned for this) i thought FFVIICC was garbage.
Well, I won't stone you, I thought it was very underwhelming myself.

I just wanted to point out that them calling Valkyria Chronicles "most playable RPGs of the year" is not a meaningless acclaim on part of Games(tm) since for a multiplatform publication there are actually quite a number of good or even great 2008 RPGs to take into consideration.

grenks

Neo Member
Man I really want this game. Saw the videos off the PSN a couple weeks ago and got interested. Then i played the demo and man i love it. i cant wait for this to come out. I been wantin a rpg, and even though i never played this kind before, i really liked it.

is the whole game like this or is this just the battle system? i like runnin around and lookin for treasures and stuff.

either way im gettin this game, the way it looks alone makes me wanna buy it. It reminds me of FF7 for some odd reason (not cause of the graphics), and thats my favorite rpg, if not one of my favorite games of all time. Especially the part where the train crashes through the town just like in FF7.

Damn, I cant wait.

el Diablo

Banned
Durante said:
I just wanted to point out that them calling it "most playable RPGs of the year" is not a meaningless acclaim since for a multiplatform publication there are actually quite a number of good or even great 2008 RPGs to take into consideration.

Point taken, i let my year of RPG gaming only see the irony in the statement. PS3 only owners who prefer RPGs don't really need much "acclaim" at this point, show us something quality and we'll eat it up heh.

On a side note, is it just me or are all the artbooks in really bad shape? Thumbed through mine for the first time today and it was in pretty bad shape. Looked like a 5 year old had read it and put it down.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
el Diablo said:
On a side note, is it just me or are all the artbooks in really bad shape? Thumbed through mine for the first time today and it was in pretty bad shape. Looked like a 5 year old had read it and put it down.

D: That's not comforting...

el Diablo

Banned
Kagari said:
D: That's not comforting...

Well for me the spine is creased in like 5 places and 2 of the corners are warped (like it was put in a box that was too small for it), who knows. I'd try to get another but it looks like they're picked pretty clean from my area stores.

It's times like these i really appreciate the hardcover stuff (ie P3, hopefully P4).

Top Bottom