• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sells 360.000 units in Spain (7:1 Ps4:XBO)

How does the Wii U GfK data stack up to this?

I don't have numbers right in front of me.
wait so does that mean you do have it?
1:7? That's hard.

brazil-v-germany-semi-final-20140708-220341-930.jpg

lmao 10/10

In a year?

I know the populations can be drastically different, but it always amazes me how consoles can sale in ONE month in the US what they sale in an entire year in other countries.

USA should be compared to the whole Europe when talking about this. When comparing European countries, they should be compared to the individual American states - that is the only meaningful comparison

ikariX

Banned
That's great. In South Africa the PS4 was available at launch and it's such a great console. Microsoft only launched the Xbox One here recently. But not selling well here either. The PS4 on the other hand is selling a lottttt!!! here in SA. But I bought and Xbox One for Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2.

But that's great numbers for Sony in Spain. Now give me Bloodbourne damn now SONY!!!

Crazy. And people still think Microsoft has a chance of catching up PS3-style? Not happening, they've completely lost control of the marketshare they captured with the 360 in Europe (UK being the only exception).

46m vs 312m people

That, and plus isn't Spain still in a recession?

--R

Banned
Crazy. And people still think Microsoft has a chance of catching up PS3-style? Not happening, they've completely lost control of the marketshare they captured with the 360 in Europe (UK being the only exception).

We are. But people buy PS4 because of Sony, basically. Though there's tons of people here who won't buy PS4 because of the obligatory PS Plus membership.

NHale

that really puts how small some markets are into perspective, also how large the US market is.

Yes. The problem is that there are lots of "small markets" like Spain and when you add everything together you get a huge market...

And yet it did. Last gen the difference was around 2 to 1 iirc. What's up with everyone trying to downplay this?

Maybe because it's not a perfect comparison. It was 2:1 because the Xbox was pirated very early on his life cycle and the Iberian Peninsula is very well known by the huge rate of piracy. If the Xbox One allowed pirated copies to be played the ratio wouldn't be 7:1 in a country like Spain.

Here in Portugal the X360 hardware sales were actually good but software wise they were abysmal. The tie ratio of non bundled SW was actually less than 0,5 according to some big retailers here as their reasoning to stop selling X360 software besides FIFA, PES and COD.

DevilFox

Last time I checked, Spain was mostly a PlayStation fanbase. Gap is indeed big but I'm not that surprised.
Good for them anyway.

ipsyPZAOK33uf.gif

So the Xbox one is doing worse, by a large margin, than the X360.

Ps3 : X360 is roughly 2.5 : 1, while ps4 : xone is 7 : 1.

Don't forget that PS3 came out ~16 months later than 360 in Europe and was 2-300 euro more expensive.

Won't be surprised if gap grew over 10:1

It definitely is. Real question is how much sales will go up as more software hits and how much it's first price drop matters, and if Morpheus really drives sales vs more being a value-add for current owners.

I expect especially in Japan a big grow of the sales.

Bloodborne
FF Type 0 / FF 15 Demo
MGS
Persona
Dragon Quest Heroes
Disgea

ikariX

Banned

What does that have to with anything?

PlayStation sells better than Xbox on Spain, and more breaking news:

Cows go moo!
Sky is blue!
The rain still stays mainly on the plain!

EGM1966

1:7? That's hard.

brazil-v-germany-semi-final-20140708-220341-930.jpg
Complete tangent but I watched that game with some German friends and even they felt bad about the score (while being super happy with it too of course).

Spain I always figured was fairly pro Sony brand but I that's wuite the ratio nonetheless. If that's similar to other countries in Europe then I guess worldwide the sales winner is pretty obvious even allowing for a turnaround in US and UK.

That's ok, there's still 195 more countries in the world. Average 51K per country, that's....10M. US is gonna have to carry this load!

Krilekk

Banned
So 360.00 until October, it was 130.000 in December, 180.000 in January. Meaning they sold the first 180.000 in two months, then another 180.000 in the next eight months. That's bad. Seems like it's just getting worse by the month.

Xbox One was at 36.000 after two months and is now at 51.000. That's just abysmal. 15k units in eight months, that's worse than Japan which is at about 1k per week.

But it's bad for either one. Spain (in summer) just is no video game country. Weather is too good.

So 360.00 until October, it was 130.000 in December, 180.000 in January. Meaning they sold the first 180.000 in two months, then another 180.000 in the next eight months. That's bad. Seems like it's just getting worse by the month.

Xbox One was at 36.000 after two months and is now at 51.000. That's just abysmal. 15k units in eight months, that's worse than Japan which is at about 1k per week.

But it's bad for either one. Spain (in summer) just is no video game country. Weather is too good.

No, it's not. The Holiday periods typically account for a about half of yearly sales, so it's not surprising. The X1 is the only that one that's absolutely dreadful.

I know the populations can be drastically different, but it always amazes me how consoles can sale in ONE month in the US what they sale in an entire year in other countries.
Spain has a lot lower population than US. It would be more reasonable to compare a US state to a europe country, or to compare US sales to EU sales.

NHale

I admire your attempt of spinning this as a negative.

Next time you are going to say that no HW device sell more around "Dia de los Reyes" in Spain and that people traditionally have more money to spend between February and September, especially because there are not other alternatives for your money in a country without nightlife, beach, cheap vacations like Spain, right?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Xbox: What is Europe?
Europe: What is Xbox?

The most accurate description of European situation

Well, you can get PS4 here at largest supermarket chain for -20% off each weekend with coupon and people are buying them like crazy.

EGM1966

You're describing seasonal patterns with peaks and troughs there which doesn't mean slow period sales are "bad".

Bad sales are sales below expectations for the time of year and market size.

Top Bottom