• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2014 (Oct 06 - Oct 12)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Any monthly grossing numbers in there? I'd like to start attempting to make correlations between chart ranking and actual revenue.

I tried to work together a bit of a list earlier.

What I ended up with was:

#1: $3-$4 million a day
#2: ~$2 million a day
#3 (and maybe #4, exact tweet timing was hard to say): ~$1 million a day
#11: Was $90K, plausibly now higher

#4-#10 and some other scatted spots through the top #100: See the last quote, but as a quick summary:

Chain Chronicle/PuyoPuyo averaged $150,752+ per day with a peak of 4 and 6 respectively. Spent most of the month notably lower than those peaks, primarily in the 10 to 40 range.

Border Break averaged $30,153+ a day. Peaked at 9, but spent much of its time at around 50 or lower.

The soccer game averaged about $15,000+ a day. It peaked at 55, and spent most of its time between 100 and 150.

Yeah, this is a bigger deal for DeNA than Square for sure.

We know that #3 is around ~$1 million a day the last time we got an update, and #1 has been in the $3-$4 million range, but 11 drops down to $90K.

Given how frequently we see games bump between the 3-5 range though, I can't imagine it's less than several hundred thousand a day, even accounting for huge spending swings.

I wonder if I can reverse engineer this somehow based on Mixi's earnings. They were pretty stable at various positions as they climbed the charts and Monster Strike is like a gigantic portion of their revenue IIRC.
Okay so for spot #2, in July, that was approximately $2 million per day given Monster Strike spent almost the entire month there and made $60 million in Japan off the game: https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/498025741712232448

If for P&D's number he also means only Japan, that would be $4.8 million a day at #1, though it could very easily be a global number (with a lot of that still coming from Japan).

I'll see if I can find anything more concrete non #4-#10, since that's a very solid concern.

Edit: And looking at Mixi's April-June stats, it'd match up with #3 being about $1 million a day.
All right, here we go.

Sega's month revenue figures. I'm going to treat each game as their performance in May 2014 as the press release came out on June 20th and they take some time to prepare.

Chain Chronicle/PuyoPuyo averaged $150,752+ per day with a peak of 4 and 6 respectively. Spent most of the month notably lower than those peaks, primarily in the 10 to 40 range.

Border Break averaged $30,153+ a day. Peaked at 9, but spent much of its time at around 50 or lower.

The soccer game averaged about $15,000+ a day. It peaked at 55, and spent most of its time between 100 and 150.

If I had to guess, I'd say that #5 right now is probably pulling in at least $200-$300K a day if not more given how short of a time Chain Chronicle and PuyoPuyo were at that position and that they were $150K+ averages for the month still.

asqRQeo.jpg

segaccjzckz.png

segapplyeug.png

segabbome6u.png

segascztdpf.png

Scum

Bloody hell, NCL. Get your hardware in gear. You're missing out on that mobile gaming fun. D:

'ave a word, Niro.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bloody hell, NCL. Get your hardware in gear. You're missing out on that mobile gaming fun. D:

'ave a word, Niro.

Slowly, they're joining the fun! Million Arthur, the best game ever, is coming, so now it's all easier for Nintendo!111!!!

Seriously, though, next handheld will probably be enough powerful and with enough tools to support cheap and easy mobile ports.

Scum

Slowly, they're joining the fun! Million Arthur, the best game ever, is coming, so now it's all easier for Nintendo!111!!!

Seriously, though, next handheld will probably be enough powerful and with enough tools to support cheap and easy mobile ports.

201X hardware or bust. Region free that shit too. But I have my fingers crossed for an OS platform that runs on both console & handheld.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Well considering they have that functionality on the Wii U of all things (even if it's underutilized), I'm pretty sure it'll be on their next handheld, where it clearly makes more sense.

Takao

Banned
I wonder if this was a shelved game from ages ago they decided to update a bit and finish.

I'm not under the impression Konami has actual handheld development anymore and a PSP games suggests they were trying to do this in the quickest and cheapest way possible.

Someone is making those Vita baseball games and Harem Gear Solid:
nisekoigame58jwv.gif

It was updated in March 2013, so we are already past that barrier.

He's talking about an update a year after GT6's release.

I thought super secret blogger was supposed to be moving to somewhere else with his writings anyway? Is this the new move?

It's not as impactful to discussion though considering we do get a full array of numbers from three trackers for Japan. We just need to wait a bit longer.

crinale

I thought super secret blogger was supposed to be moving to somewhere else with his writings anyway? Is this the new move?

It's not as impactful to discussion though considering we do get a full array of numbers from three trackers for Japan. We just need to wait a bit longer.

He has already moved and I'm talking about the new location.
And yeah it shouldn't have much effect.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2014.10.23}

[3DS] Tales of the World: Reve Unitia <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.627)
[3DS] Tetsudou Nippon! Rosen Tabi: Eizan Densha Hen <SLG> (Sonic Powered) (¥6.264)

[PSV] Super Hero Generation # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.171)
[PSV] Super Hero Generation (Special Sound Edition) <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.260)
[PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 <SPT> (Konami) (¥7.538)

[PSP] Pre Pia: Prince Pia Carrot <ADV> (HuneX) (¥7.020)

[PS4] PsychoBreak # <ADV> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥7.884)
[PS4] PsychoBreak (PlayStation 4 PsychoBreak Limited Edition Jet Black) <ADV> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥52.898)
[PS4] PsychoBreak (PlayStation 4 PsychoBreak Limited Edition Glacier White) <ADV> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥52.898)

[XB1] PsychoBreak <ADV> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥7.884)

[PS3] PsychoBreak <ADV> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥6.264)
[PS3] Super Hero Generation # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.208)
[PS3] Super Hero Generation (Special Sound Edition) <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥11.286)
[PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 <SPT> (Konami) (¥7.538)
[PS3] BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma [PlayStation 3 the Best] <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥3.024)

[360] PsychoBreak <ADV> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥6.264)

SmokyDave

Indeed, their next handheld might well catch up with the Vita, six years later.

Of course, the mobile goalposts will have moved considerably by then, so who knows what'll happen.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think 3DS Q4 battle will be the next table I'll update every week after PS4 race to drop below PS3.

Code:
--------------------------------------------------
|Week|        2013         |        2014         |
| 40 | 122.987 |   122.987 |  22.490 |    22.490 |
| 41 | 213.570 |   336.557 | 261.873 |   284.263 | -> MH4G / new 3DS LL / new 3DS
| 42 | 154.578 |   491.135 |         |           |
| 43 | 109.508 |   600.643 |         |           |
| 44 |  88.376 |   689.019 |         |           |
| 45 |  81.817 |   770.836 |         |           | -> new 3DS LL Smash
| 46 |  70.102 |   840.938 |         |           |
| 47 |  84.506 |   925.444 |         |           | -> OR/AS
| 48 | 108.373 | 1.033.817 |         |           |
| 49 | 125.269 | 1.159.086 |         |           |
| 50 | 181.556 | 1.340.642 |         |           | -> YW2: SU
| 51 | 232.600 | 1.573.242 |         |           |
| 52 | 201.703 | 1.774.945 |         |           |

hiska-kun

I think 3DS Q4 battle will be the next table I'll update every week after PS4 race to drop below PS3.

Code:
| 41 | 213.570 |   336.557 | 261.873 |   284.263 | -> MH4G / new 3DS LL / new 3DS
| 45 |  81.817 |   770.836 |         |           |
| 46 |  70.102 |   840.938 |         |           | -> new 3DS LL Smash

New 3DS Smash comes on week 45, not 46.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Code:
| 45 |  81.817 |   770.836 |         |           |
| 46 |  70.102 |   840.938 |         |           | -> new 3DS LL Smash

Thanks Chris, should be interesting as I think it could reach last year's numbers with ease due to the New 3DS.

You think ORAS could reach 3 million by year-end?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You think ORAS could reach 3 million by year-end?

If it opens close to 1,5m maybe.

As for new 3DS continued sellouts and restocks I don't think Nintendo wants to flood the market with big shipments before remaining stock for old models starts to disappear.

zeromcd73

Has Youkai Watch money gone too far?

Hino, president of Level 5 wants to transform the company into something more like Disney and wants to do it in the next 5 years. He doesn't want level 5 to just be a regular game making company, but a company focused on worldwide entertainment.

Source is his latest interview:

Someone is making those Vita baseball games and Harem Gear Solid:
nisekoigame58jwv.gif

He's talking about an update a year after GT6's release.

Yeah or they could be waiting till the numbers are somewhat acceptable.

That Nisekoi game actually looks cool. I would play that if it had nothing to do about Nisekoi.

Hino, president of Level 5 wants to transform the company into something more like Disney and wants to do it in the next 5 years. He doesn't want level 5 to just be a regular game making company, but a company focused on worldwide entertainment.

Buy Ghibli and fund their movies L5 :D

Buy Ghibli and fund their movies L5 :D

Unfortunately, Ghibli's willingness to dismantle movie production didn't come from financial problems.

Well, IIRC Hino's aim has always been to turn L5 into a multimedia product company.

I doubt ORAS will reach 3m by year's end, its launching a bit late, i think 2.5M would be the maximum.

3ds will have a good start in 2015, i think better than even 2014, only problem is next year's holiday lineup, it's gonna be interesting to see how Nintendo handles it.

If it opens close to 1,5m maybe.

As for new 3DS continued sellouts and restocks I don't think Nintendo wants to flood the market with big shipments before remaining stock for old models starts to disappear.
I think the old models are nearly gone anyway, I think it'll only last a week or two more considering how it's been selling despite the revision.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I remember this.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rovios-peter-vesterbacka-talks-about-the-new-angry-bird-game-2012-3

Rovio turned down a $2 billion acquisition offer from Zynga last year. On stage, Vestabacka said the company's role model is Disney, a $74 billion company, but that its goal is to be "much bigger."
To be fair they kept relevance very well compared to their contemporaries.

But they've kept the same number alive. *trollface.gif*
but the live one right now is the biggest for them ever

rovio's milking is second to none, can't believe they actually said their goal is to be much bigger than disney with the way they handled their only IP.

The same one that is proving L5 is able to create successful IPs over and over, while Rovio is struggling to find something else than Angry Birds.
While they did make a few titles besides AB, it shows they never really tried to expand their portfolio beyond AB, not sure how they expect to remain relevant, let alone get bigger with such a strategy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
but the live one right now is the biggest for them ever

rovio's milking is second to none, can't believe they actually said their goal is to be much bigger than disney with the way they handled their only IP.

The same one that is proving L5 is able to create successful IPs over and over, while Rovio is struggling to find something else than Angry Birds.
Actually this is kind of an interesting question. What's the bigger feat, keeping a major brand alive and healthy for a long time or launching new ones every few years even if they burn up quick?

I'm not asking this rhetorically.

It's like the Nintendo approach versus the Activision one if we prefer different companies, where Nintendo's biggest IPs are from ages ago, but Activision's are mostly different than their past.

Actually this is kind of an interesting question. What's the bigger feat, keeping a major brand alive and healthy for a long time or launching new ones every few years even if they burn up quick?

It's like the Nintendo approach versus the Activision one if we prefer different companies.
AB stayed alive thanks to it's gimmick/uniqueness, L5's IPs died because they milked it too much.

In the end, one company stayed in control of their IPs despite them dying, while the other failed to keep the one IP they wanted to keep alive.

Once AB took off, it was on auto-pilot, Rovio didn't do much to keep it alive, it just happen to come out at the right time when smartphone was booming.

Credit to them for being able to make merchandise out of AB, but when the reason you're successful is because of the game, it's a good idea to focus on that, rather than the kickbacks you get from the games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AB stayed alive thanks to it's gimmick/uniqueness, L5's IPs died because they milked it too much.

In the end, one company stayed in control of their IPs despite them dying, while the other failed to keep the one IP they wanted to keep alive.
In what sense? Angry Birds Transformers is currently #2 on the download charts after Facebook Messenger.

It's not grossing super high, but at this point AB games seem more like merchandizing platforms given their merch deals with Hasbro for every new sub brand and the seemingly large focus on the movie.

Like Stella seemed to be a pretty clear move to make more Angry Birds toys that would appeal to young girls instead of just the next
traditional Angry Birds entry.

In what sense? Angry Birds Transformers is currently #2 on the download charts after Facebook Messenger.

It's not grossing super high, but at this point AB games seem more like merchandizing platforms given their merch deals with Hasbro for every new sub brand and the seemingly large focus on the movie.

Like Stella seemed to be a pretty clear move to make more Angry Birds toys that would appeal to young girls instead of just the next Angry Birds entry.
Aren't their profits get lower each quarter? I remember talk of their merchandise doing well, but not their games. I don't see the game and the IP as a whole surviving if the games are on a decline.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/business/Angry-Birds-maker-Rovio-to-lay-off-130-staff/shdaily.shtml

130 staff layed off due to lagging sales, not sure if that means the games or the merchandising also

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Once AB took off, it was on auto-pilot, Rovio didn't do much to keep it alive, it just happen to come out at the right time when smartphone was booming.

Credit to them for being able to make merchandise out of AB, but when the reason you're successful is because of the game, it's a good idea to focus on that, rather than the kickbacks you get from the games.
Sorry just saw your edit.

This is one thing that encourages me about Youkai Watch actually. They seem to understand better than before how key merchandizing is in keeping a brand alive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aren't their profits get lower each quarter? I remember talk of their merchandise doing well, but not their games. I don't see the game and the IP as a whole surviving if the games are on a decline.
Their earnings went up every year actually. They just hired 300 more employees in 2013 which made their profits go down.

Espoo, Finland -- April 28th 2014 -- Rovio Entertainment Ltd, the creator of the globally loved Angry Birds brand, announced today its financial results for the full 2013 calendar year.

Rovio´s total consolidated full-year revenue amounted to €156 million (2010: €6.5 million, 2011: €75.6 million, 2012: €152.2 million). Earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) were €36.5 million (2010: €3.1 million, 2011: €46.9 million, 2012: €76.8 million), and net profit after tax was €26.9 million (2010: €3 million, 2011: €35.4 million, 2012: €55,5 million).

Rovio’s Consumer Products business continued to perform strongly, accounting for 47% of total revenue in 2013, and there was expansion of the Consumer Products line into the important Russian and Latin American markets. Rovio also started a compliance program aimed at having a positive impact on production processes and improving transparency.

To match the investments made during 2013, the number of Rovio employees grew from around 500 to 800.

It's like the Nintendo approach versus the Activision one if we prefer different companies, where Nintendo's biggest IPs are from ages ago, but Activision's are mostly different than their past.

To be fair, Professor Layton has been alive and healthy (if by healthy you mean profitable) for 5-6 years (2007: the first entry on DS; 2013: the last one on 3DS). Inazuma Eleven for 4-5 years in Japan, and it's still quite successful in Europe because of lagged release. The only L5's IP that was burned very quicly is LBX, that lasted like 2 years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's another article: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/angry-birds-chief-to-step-down-2014-08-29-11485537

recent games not selling well, after they moved from a pay to play to f2p, ceo stepping down.
Yes, the f2p games don't rank very well in the grossing charts even when they get a ton of downloads. They're not very aggressive monetizers having tried a few.

At this point they seem to do better as zero barrier launch pads for media and toys.

The organization itself laid off everyone who wasn't working on games, media, or toys with that layoff set. Not sure exactly what they were doing otherwise that got canned.

That said the games do still make 58% of that $200 million.

To be fair, Professor Layton has been alive and healthy (if by healthy you mean profitable) for 5-6 years (2007: the first entry on DS; 2013: the last one on 3DS). Inazuma Eleven for 4-5 years in Japan, and it's still quite successful in Europe because of lagged release. The only L5's IP that was burned very quicly is LBX, that lasted like 2 years.
This is part of why I switched the example companies to a slightly more distinct pair since those two have been around for 30 years of video gaming or so instead.

Rovio hasn't lasted quite long enough to serve as an amazing example.

Willing

Neo Member
3ds will have a good start in 2015, i think better than even 2014, only problem is next year's holiday lineup, it's gonna be interesting to see how Nintendo handles it.

Majora's Mask 3D, come on! Time to give the 3DS what it needs, Nintendo.

I remember a website where you could search through Media Create and/or Famitsu sales data. Basically a database going way back. I can't seem to find it though, does anyone have the URL for me or am I misremembering stuff?

Yes, the f2p games don't rank very well in the grossing charts even when they get a ton of downloads. They're not very aggressive monetizers having tried a few.

At this point they seem to do better as zero barrier launch pads for media and toys.

The organization itself laid off everyone who wasn't working on games, media, or toys with that layoff set. Not sure exactly what they were doing otherwise that got canned.

That said the games do still make 58% of that $200 million.
I'm not sure hiring new employees and going f2p is the sole reason for such a dip in profits, either way, merchandising is the way to go for them, but they have to take care of the AB game if they want to keep the brand as whole alive imo.

Majora's Mask 3D, come on! Time to give the 3DS what it needs, Nintendo.

I remember a website where you could search through Media Create and/or Famitsu sales data. Basically a database going way back. I can't seem to find it though, does anyone have the URL for me or am I misremembering stuff?
garaph.info

i think chris also has a database somewhere.

and don't worry bout MM3D, that's definitely coming out next year, believe.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure hiring new employees and going f2p is the sole reason for such a dip in profits, either way, merchandising is the way to go for them, but they have to take care of the AB game if they want to keep the brand as whole alive imo.
Yes, I think that's actually why they aren't aggressively monetizing even if they don't make as much money in them.

Clash of Clans and Candy Crush turn off huge amounts of players and spend $30-$60+ million a year on tv ads trying to get new ones to replace them.

Rovio needs people to walk away happy even if they don't spend money to keep them liking the brand.

Yes, I think that's actually why they aren't aggressively monetizing even if they don't make as much money in them.

Clash of Clans and Candy Crush turn off huge amounts of players and spend $30-$60+ million a year on tv ads trying to get new ones to replace them.

Rovio needs people to walk away happy even if they don't spend money to keep them liking the brand.
Ah yeah, going f2p is probably the best move they could make to improve it's longevity, maybe i am underestimating them a bit, considering they are quite young like you said.

This is why I've never thought L5 as a milker in the traditional sense, they milked their IPs for all its worth because they didn't kill their IPs too quick. They've also said people get tired of sequels and would rather make new IPs to keep it fresh, I think this has been their way of business since the start. Sure it would be better if they kept layton/inazuma alive for longer, but the reality is that not many IPs can survive long, even if the owners try.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah yeah, going f2p is probably the best move they could make to improve it's longevity, maybe i am underestimating them a bit, considering they are quite young like you said.
They're a bit unusual in that they're not driven overwhelmingly by game profits like you would normally expect of a game company.

That might not be a terrible model for Level 5 given they're actually having major and increasing success with toys and media as well, and given they sell retail products instead of mobile games ideally it's easier to always make sure someone walks away happy as sales and happiness normally walk hand in hand in the retail arena.

In mobile major sales are more about mining people who will spend gigantic amounts of money, though there are some exceptions that succeed by sheer volume.

If one of them can launch more brands and keep them both alive then I think they will be the one to have found the most successful path, whatever it may be.

They're a bit unusual in that they're not driven overwhelmingly by game profits like you would normally expect of a game company.

That might not be a terrible model for Level 5 given they're actually having major and increasing success with toys and media as well, and given they sell retail products instead of mobile games ideally it's easier to always make sure someone walks away happy as sales and happiness normally walk hand in hand in the retail arena.

In mobile major sales are more about mining people who will spend gigantic amounts of money, though there are some exceptions that succeed by sheer volume.

If one of them can launch more brands and keep them both alive then I think they will be the one to have found the most successful path, whatever it may be.
taking all that into account, both companies are kinda even on the playing field in that AB is successful worldwide, while YW would have an easier time selling merchandise, like you said, due to it being a full priced game on dedicated hardware and its not just a time waster like AB. I am talking relatively based on YW's success in Japan, i know AB merchandising far exceed's YW's merchandising atm. YW has the more hardcore fans I suppose.

L5 needs to create an international hit, not just in Japan, i don't think YW will have a big impact in the west, while Rovio needs to take care of AB, while trying to expand their games portfolio. Either way, I think both have their goals set right and i think they both have the potential to become much bigger, although not disney big =p

its like wanting to be as big as Nintendo, that doesn't happen in only a few years with only 1 or 2 relevant IPs.

Speaking of Minecraft, the PS3 physical import has climbed to no. 13 for the year on Amazon, despite being released on PSN -- it was no. 20 last I checked (three months ago).

Sony should make a PS4 bundle with Minecraft for Christmas in Japan.
That's actually a pretty good idea. Didn't Sony say something about having a big holiday game for PS4 in Japan?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
taking all that into account, both companies are kinda even on the playing field in that AB is successful worldwide, while YW would have an easier time selling merchandise, like you said, due to it being a full priced game on dedicated hardware and its not just a time waster like AB. I am talking relatively based on YW's success in Japan, i know AB merchandising far exceed's YW's merchandising atm. YW has the more hardcore fans I suppose.

L5 needs to create an international hit, not just in Japan, i don't think YW will have a big impact in the west, while Rovio needs to take care of AB, while trying to expand their games portfolio. Either way, I think both have their goals set right and i think they both have the potential to become much bigger, although not disney big =p

its like wanting to be as big as Nintendo, that doesn't happen in only a few years with only 1 or 2 relevant IPs.
I read the Disney comments as more of a long term goal and easy explanation of their strategy.

Disney's rise to prominence was essentially making a bunch of successful, very long lasting kid focused IPs that parents would pass down to their children and sometimes still enjoy as adults.

They later (often through acquisition) expanded to IPs that would target more squarely at various levels of older audiences, with Marvel and Star Wars being two recent examples, though still working on maintaining the core of the company through the rebirth of WDAS and acquisitions like Pixar.

Smartly, the older appealing IPs were also able to be leveraged to appeal to kids as well, with some having roots there. It brings people into their brands at an early age.

I read the Disney comments as more of a long term goal and easy explanation of their strategy.

Disney's rise to prominence was essentially making a bunch of successful, very long lasting kid focused IPs that parents would pass down to their children and sometimes still enjoy as adults.

They later (often through acquisition) expanded to IPs that would target more squarely at various levels of older audiences, with Marvel and Star Wars being two recent examples, though still working on maintaining the core of the company through the rebirth of WDAS and acquisitions like Pixar.

Smartly, the older appealing IPs were also able to be leveraged to appeal to kids as well, with some having roots there.
Yeah I understand Hino's line of thought, but it's Rovio's comments thats a bit funny, because they explicitly said they want to be "much bigger" than Disney.

Top Bottom