• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Available for $349 in the U.S. This Holiday Season

cakely

People should stop saying this.

I am a huge Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank fan, but there is absolutely no need for me to pick up a PS4 until both are out.

Fair enough, but Halo is Xbox, just like Mario is Nintendo. The Playstation doesn't really have a single IP with that level of brand association.

I mean, sure, you could think of Uncharted, Wipeout, God of War, Killzone, or Gran Turismo but none of those series really define a console like Halo does.

Fair enough, but Halo is Xbox, just like Mario is Nintendo. The Playstation doesn't really have a single IP with that level of brand association.

I mean, sure, you could think of Uncharted, Wipeout, God of War, Killzone, or Gran Turismo but none of those series really define a console like Halo does.

I would say Xbox is more heavily associated with COD than Halo these days

sbrew

Banned
There getting pretty desperate now hm? Stock is overflowing everywhere.

They need to stock up to satisfy the massive demand for the holidays. Everyone I know who has not upgraded their 360 yet is going to over the next month. Some because of the price, some because of Halo MCC and some because I told them the OS is finally capable of replacing what they do with the 360 as far as multimedia goes.

It pains me to say these words: Yusef Medhi was right. People love their Xbox 360s. It's taking awhile for the XB1 to woo them.

Yep it's going to sell very well to people that already own the Xbox One.

If you're a giant Halo fan, you're not sitting on the fence. You bought your Xbox One either when it was announced or when Titanfall was released.

Eh I'm not too sure about that one. I know plenty of Halo fans(some even bigger than I) who haven't bought an XB1 yet. Unless every single person who bought an XB1 is a Halo fan, it's likely that there is a still a big base of Halo fans that haven't upgraded their console.

I'm not trying to say Halo MCC will be a colossal system seller though or anything because even though it's great fan service, it won't have the impact of a new game like a Halo 5 would. I was just trying to point out that the user he quoted wasn't misinformed on how well Halo MCC was doing.

I actually think Advanced Warfare + the price cut might be the bigger console mover depending on it's reception.

blamite

So, I already have he Assassin's Creed Bundle preordered on Amazon at the $399 price, and it comes out the same day the price drop is supposed to take effect. Should the price drop automatically take effect, or am I gonna have to cancel my order and place it again after the drop is in effect in order to make sure I get it?

Anyone have experience with something like this on Amazon?

BFIB

They don't really have a "mascot" IP, but as a developer, Naughty Dog takes the crown. Everyone knows Uncharted, it more importantly they know who's behind it.

Bgamer90

Banned
It pains me to say these words: Yusef Medhi was right. People love their Xbox 360s. It's taking awhile for the XB1 to woo them.

It wasn't good PR by him (since he also made the "more countries" statement iirc) but it's definitely true that many are still gaming on their Xbox 360.

I see that as a good thing. I would even say that Sony's diversity in its main series is what makes their first party so special. Its not that they don't have an IP with brand recognition its that they have many that its spread out over. Sony doesn't really have a history of milking series that have ended. I would bet Uncharted 4 will be the final one.

Talon

I dream of a day where console wars are no longer a thing.

Competition is good. Embrace it.

Your monolithic company doesn't give a shit about you rooting for it.

GeeDuhb

Wat? Does "the mass market" needed to be added to the Xbox One chalkboard? PS4 is selling well because it is more popular across pretty much all demographics. It wouldn't be outselling the X1 by 2:1 if that was not the case. The notion that the people who've bought a console so far are just the "hardcore" and there's this gigantic untapped "mass market" waiting to buy the Xbox One is sillier than when Nintendo assumed the huge Blue Ocean market of the Wii would eagerly buy the Wii U. It just isn't going to happen. PS4 is the market leader. It's the superior platform for multiplats. People know that. It's why they're already buying PS4 instead of Xbox One and it is why the sales gap will continue to widen.

I am not at all saying that the PS4 sales are a fluke or that it is still selling well because of the hardcore. I am not saying there is any sort of "mass market" that is suddenly going to go out and buy the One. What I am saying is, the hardcore tends to be the early adopters for any new technology, and early on the PS4 sold a shitton (I am almost sure they were at over 3:1 in March or April.) I think at some point something is going to cause more people to upgrade their 360's. Period. Believe it or not, there are people who only buy consoles for Halo, or Sports games.

My biggest point is, at some point the gap is going to become closer and the One is GOING to start selling. Look at the last gen and the difference early on between the PS3/360 and the numbers at the end of the generation. Things just have a way of working themselves out somehow.

Again, I am not at all saying that the PS4 is not the superior console or that it is only selling to the hardcore. I just feel that there is in fact an "untapped" market (as you put it) which is going to upgrade their console at some point. I have recently come to see that the PS4 being so much more of a gaming/powerful console is probably not the only reason it has been selling so well to this point.

Edit:

They need to stock up to satisfy the massive demand for the holidays. Everyone I know who has not upgraded their 360 yet is going to over the next month. Some because of the price, some because of Halo MCC and some because I told them the OS is finally capable of replacing what they do with the 360 as far as multimedia goes.

THIS is the thought that I am trying to convey as well.

Slashlen

So has this promotion pushed anyone here to a purchase :)? Just curious if that sweet spot's finally been hit.

Not me, but that's mostly because I have a PS4 and the overlap between the two is too significant right now. If a family member were to ask me for a recommendation, however, I wouldn't recommend against the Bone right now. I still believe the PS4 to be the better of the two, but the Bone is turning into a good value play for those who don't need the hot thing.

I know plenty of people upgrading this holiday season. They don't care about resolution/framerate. They care that there's actually interesting exclusives and third party titles to play, and now they care even more because it's 150 dollars cheaper than it was at launch. These are people that don't engage in petty fanboy console wars. They play franchises, not corporations. They go where their friends are, and also for many of them they go where Mario and/or Halo are.
They've cut almost a third of the price in less than a year, and that made your friends more interested in buying now? Why not wait until next Christmas, when they can pick one up for $200 with a free copy of Halo 5?

Freeser

So has this promotion pushed anyone here to a purchase :)? Just curious if that sweet spot's finally been hit.

My first box was a day one edition and my second was in February and I got it w/kinect & 1 physical/4 digital games for $300. If I didn't get a steal on that second box this would definitely have have been my tipping point for a second box. I think my tipping point for the third room box will be $299 with a AAA title or kinect.

Hawk269

When you are the market leader you DON'T lower price just because your competition is doing so. It makes you look less desirable (plus it throws away free money). People will continue buying the PS4 instead of the X1 for reasons other than just the price. "Price" hasn't been a part of the equation since they began bundling free games with the system and since they removed Kinect .... so, pretty much the entire year.

A.k.a the Apple effect. Their stuff is always top-price but people still pay for it. The same applies to the PS4's situation.

Wat? Does "the mass market" needed to be added to the Xbox One chalkboard? PS4 is selling well because it is more popular across pretty much all demographics. It wouldn't be outselling the X1 by 2:1 if that was not the case. The notion that the people who've bought a console so far are just the "hardcore" and there's this gigantic untapped "mass market" waiting to buy the Xbox One is sillier than when Nintendo assumed the huge Blue Ocean market of the Wii would eagerly buy the Wii U. It just isn't going to happen. PS4 is the market leader. It's the superior platform for multiplats. People know that. It's why they're already buying PS4 instead of Xbox One and it is why the sales gap will continue to widen.

Agree and that is what I said. Sony are the market leader and they don't have to respond or match this at all. Sony will continue to sell PS4's, just like they did with the PS3. Even if MS figures out how to outsell them for November & December, if you are Sony, you may still not need to react because people will still be buying PS4's regardless.

I think you are wrong in regards to price image however, for the casual buyer they will see a Xbox One with a FREE game for $349.99 vs. a PS4 with NO game for $399.99. the perceived value is that they are getting a system for $50.00 cheaper and no need to buy a game. For parents, this will be attractive. The AC Unity bundle moreso since you get 2 Free games in that bundle.

So I have 70 dollars of GameStop credit, plus I'm selling my old 3DS XL which will net me about 80 dollars from GameStop, and I have 21k GameStop points which turns into 20 dollars apparently if I have coupons.

So if the Assassin Creed Bundle would cost me normally 400 I would end up paying
-$50 November Bundle
-$70 GameStop Credit
-$80 3DS XL converting to GameStop credit soon
-$20 GameStop Points

a grand total of $180 for a console and a game. Not a bad deal in my opinion. Now I just need to find a way to finance MCC.

Culex

Banned
I don't think Sony will lower the price of the PS4. There is no reason to, as they already have the mindshare, and are coming off an incredible September. They will probably play a wait and see approach, then see the early black friday data. If it looks like the Xbox One is winning, they can pull the trigger.

Sony is in the driver's seat. The only reason we are seeing this great price for the Xbox One is NOT because MS cares for it's customers. If it were in first, or selling just as well as the PS4, we wouldn't be seeing a price cut.

Chobel

My biggest point is, at some point the gap is going to become closer and the One is GOING to start selling. Look at the last gen and the difference early on between the PS3/360 and the numbers at the end of the generation. Things just have a way of working themselves out somehow.

Just like what happened in PS2 era... Oh wait that didn't happen, PS2 continued to dominate everything. And if we're talking about PS3/360 in US nothing changed, 360 continued to dominate the sales.

Hawk269

So I have 70 dollars of GameStop credit, plus I'm selling my old 3DS XL which will net me about 80 dollars from GameStop, and I have 21k GameStop points which turns into 20 dollars apparently if I have coupons.

So if the Assassin Creed Bundle would cost me normally 400 I would end up paying
-$50 November Bundle
-$70 GameStop Credit
-$80 3DS XL converting to GameStop credit soon
-$20 GameStop Points

a grand total of $180 for a console and a game. Not a bad deal in my opinion. Now I just need to find a way to finance MCC.

Two games. You get last years AC game and this years AC Unity with the bundle. So basically an even sweeter deal for you with your points and credit you have.

Ricky_R

Not me, but mainly because I honestly don't have time for multiple consoles right now and buying another would feel unnecessary.

However, I would say that $200 would be the sweet spot for me although I doubt it will go that low. I got the 360 arcade last gen because of price.

Hawk269

I don't think Sony will lower the price of the PS4. There is no reason to, as they already have the mindshare, and are coming off an incredible September. They will probably play a wait and see approach, then see the early black friday data. If it looks like the Xbox One is winning, they can pull the trigger.

Sony is in the driver's seat. The only reason we are seeing this great price for the Xbox One is NOT because MS cares for it's customers. If it were in first, or selling just as well as the PS4, we wouldn't be seeing a price cut.

Unfortunately it is not that simple of looking at BF sales report and they saying "MS outsold us, lower that fucker by $50 right now". They have shareholders that want to see profits improve, not decline. Sony slashing $50.00 will cost them dearly, just it is for MS, but MS as a company is in a much better financial situation than what Sony is in. The PS4 is doing so well for them that it is one of the divisions with Sony that is doing pretty damn good. Slashing 50 off of every console takes a lot of that profit and throws it out the window and for what, because MS might outsell them for 2 months?

Two games. You get last years AC game and this years AC Unity with the bundle. So basically an even sweeter deal for you with your points and credit you have.

Wow I didn't know that. Thanks. Yep I just need to head over to GameStop and get everything in order soon. I guess this will be my Christmas gift to myself, ha last year in college and then hopefully no more pinching pennies.

buy the one now or wait to see Black friday deals.... I JUST DON'T KNOW!

I'm assuming this is their Black Friday deal for consoles. I would only imagine that other Black Friday deals would just be dealing with games and not consoles (Buy 2 get 1 free).

Doffen

First week 100 million.

dr-evil.jpg

GeeDuhb

Gosh, you have to wear a flame suit when you get into these console "wars" threads...I am not at all trying to argue with anyone or push for one console or another...I am simply trying to have a logical discussion...this thread is starting the reek of fanboys...

Just like what happened in PS2 era... Oh wait that didn't happen, PS2 continued to dominate everything. And if we're talking about PS3/360 in US nothing changed, 360 continued to dominate the sales.

But then again, you are kinda comparing apple to oranges because the original Xbox came out of nowhere and was MS' first console.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
For Xbox one owners how many copies of MCC do you realistically think will be sold ?

First week 100 million.

lol no bloody way. more than 1million in first week is given.

Just go over to Amazon.ca, Amazon.com Halo MCC is KILLING COD GTA V and AC Unity. It already ranks 76 on best seller of 2014. And yes COD, GTA and AC is no where to be found. Halo MCC is going to be monster, media coverage and hype around it is breath taking.

How many Xbox One will it sell? now that's an interesting question. Because mostly everyone I know who is going to buy it, already have Xbox One. I am guessing attach rate of that game with Xbox One is going to be VERY high.

edit.

did you edit your post? I swear you had 100k before lol

Boke1879

I'm definitely considering it. I'm just waiting to see what deals or in store for BF. I want to get GTA, Far Cry, AC Unity, and Dragon Age for my PS4. I'm waiting until BF to see if there are any deals on those.

I'll most like get the Xb1 in Dec.

I am not at all saying that the PS4 sales are a fluke or that it is still selling well because of the hardcore. I am not saying there is any sort of "mass market" that is suddenly going to go out and buy the One. What I am saying is, the hardcore tends to be the early adopters for any new technology, and early on the PS4 sold a shitton (I am almost sure they were at over 3:1 in March or April.) I think at some point something is going to cause more people to upgrade their 360's. Period. Believe it or not, there are people who only buy consoles for Halo, or Sports games.
Based on trends, the people who upgrade their 360 will go PS4. IIRC Sony said that something like 40% of the current PS4 owners are 360 --> PS4 gamers. That's a pretty large amount and it shows that PS4 is selling beyond the userbase that bought PS3.

There's really no data that suggests current 360 gamers are just waiting in the wings ready to buy an Xbox One as soon as .... reasons. It's this same logic that Nintendo applied to the Wii --> Wii U transition and look what happened. Before anyone says stuff like "but Wii is different because casual audience". Well ... the biggest sellers on the Xbox brand these past few years has been "casual" stuff like EA Sports games, CoD, Kinect games, and Minecraft.

I don't know if you intended to pull a "but PS3 caught up..." argument but that comparison has been thoroughly debunked numerous times. Closing the gap means that Xbox One not only sells better than it currently is (which will probably happen ... maybe) but it means that the PS4 either slows down considerably (why would the market leader slow down while 2nd place increases in sales?) or the XBox One starts selling so much more than the PS4 that it is able to reduce or close the gap. I simply do not see that happening in NPD, let alone the world.

Again, I am not at all saying that the PS4 is not the superior console or that it is only selling to the hardcore. I just feel that there is in fact an "untapped" market (as you put it) which is going to upgrade their console at some point. I have recently come to see that the PS4 being so much more of a gaming/powerful console is probably not the only reason it has been selling so well to this point.

Edit:
THIS is the thought that I am trying to convey as well.
There is definitely an untapped market and I 100% agree with that observation. Thing is, according to historical trends, the "untapped market" tends to go with the market leader, lending even more sales to the market leader, making the market leader even more of a market leader.

And the thing is: this often happens regardless of previous-gen winners or previous loyalty. SEGA Genesis stole huge swaths of the NES market with the "cool guy" advertisement and being the go-to console for sports games and arcade ports. PS1 stole the market from both SEGA and Nintendo. Then Nintendo stole the market from both Microsoft and Sony with the Wii while Sony and Microsoft fought over the carcass of the PS2 installed base. And now PS4 appears to simply be mopping up the remnants of a game industry that is (in my opinion) going through a market contraction in the console segment with little to no competition from Microsoft and Nintendo.

I have ranted far too often in this thread. It's about the Xbox One price cut. I think the price cut will make waves for 1-3 months and then it'll go back to normal once the "pre-season" in 2015 begins and Microsoft stops supporting the box for a while. Will it close the gap worldwide? No. Will it close the gap in NPD? Probably not. Will it win the months of November and December? Eh, maybe.

Hawk269

First week 2.6M by end of year 4.2M.

Who knows how many.

I am really curious how they will market MCC. For a commercial, how do you convey all that value/content in a 30sec commercial? You know they are going to market the shit out this game, just curious what the angle/hook is going to be marketing wise.

GeeDuhb

I guess you could say it has pushed me...I was REALLY eyeing the white SO bundle and was close to pulling the trigger on it. So I guess this nudged me over the edge? =P

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
PS4 just sold double what the Xbox One did in September.

October will be interesting just to get more of a baseline prior to this holiday price drop. 1.5X instead of 2X may be a reasonable prediction.

In which case, I expect PS4 and XB1 to be competitive for November in the US assuming Sony doesn't have similarly good deals. In other words, I don't expect a blowout either way, and it wouldn't surprise me if XB1 had a marginal lead for the month.

Then again, the momentum has been on Sony's side this gen regardless of whatever deals and moves MS has tried to make. May be a situation where the general consumers that still haven't purchased a current gen console already have their mind made up because their friends have chosen.

I don't expect MCC to really be a title that causes a dramatic shift in Microsoft's favor. I think the Halo audience and fanatics have already made their mind up.

Phionoxx

Somewhat tempted to jump in with SO and MCC being games I very much want to play. But also thinking it would be better to hold off and wait for the eventual slim model revision of the Xbox One. For me as a rule of thumb I try to wait on purchasing a new console until it has 5+ exclusives unique to the platform. SO and MCC are definitely part of that list for me. Regardless happy to see MS is continuing to be aggressive with their pricing model, as others have said competition like this is good for the industry.

FourMyle

rofl

Hmmmm good question

I guess first month since NPD is usually what most people are hyped for.

Edit: wrong quote
First month NPD wise I'd guess between 1.5 to 2 million copies. Total Xbox One install base is around 6 million consoles so the opportunity to sell a ton more isn't there yet.

Personally I'd estimate something like 5 to 6 million copies by the time Halo 5 hits.

Top Bottom