• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'Star Trek' photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheebs said:
Where were you 5 years ago? The masses didnt watch enterprise or go see Nemesis so they killed off star trek and Paramount shut down the franchise. JJ Abrams was the one who got them to revive it. It was DEAD as of 2005, cause the masses gave up on it.

Star Trek was declared dead sir. They stopped making it. I dont know why you think it can live without the mainstream because whenever it loses the mainstream it dies.
After First Contact the franchise began nose diving and kept on shrinking till it withered and died.
I don't think it's dead. Things started to go downhill after First Contact because the quality was going with it as well. I still think it can be brought back as a TV show, you just need a person who has the right idea, knows the universe intimately, and knows how to write.

Cheebs

Dax01 said:
I don't think it's dead. Things started to go downhill after First Contact because the quality was going with it as well. I still think it can be brought back as a TV show, you just need a person who has the right idea, knows the universe intimately, and knows how to write.
Well JJ Abrams was handed the keys to the franchise and Gene Roddenberry's (and Rick Berman's) old job. So you just gotta live with what Abrams wants to churn out be it movies or tv shows down the line.

There is no reason to think of "what if's" anymore, its Abrams franchise now.

It isnt like Abrams wasn't their only choice. J Michael Stranizizksisiksksisisi that Babolyn 5 guy also lobbied Paramount after star trek was shut down. Who knows who else lobbied for it, but Abrams won.

Cheebs said:
Well JJ Abrams was handed the keys to the franchise and Gene Roddenberry's (and Rick Berman's) old job. So you just gotta live with what Abrams wants to churn out be it movies or tv shows down the line.

He better not make a TV show.

There is no reason to think of "what if's" anymore, its Abrams franchise now.
I don't think it is.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
5 years ago? The better question is "where is Dax01 now?". The franchise is currently dead in the water. The new movie is simply the defibrillator.

Cheebs

Dax01 said:
No it isn't.
What do you mean no it isn't? He isnt just the director of the movie. He has say over the franchise. He has shown this in his statements how he said he wont make a tv show now and maybe will consider it down the line one day....etc.

You can't just declare he isn't running the franchise when he is producing the entire franchise.

You can't make declarations like that. Paramount handed him the keys.

Cheebs said:
What do you mean know it isn't? He isnt just the director of the movie. He has say over the franchise. He has shown this in his statements how he said he wont make a tv show now and maybe will consider it down the line one day....etc.

You can't just declare he isn't running the franchise when he is producing the entire franchise.
What do you mean he is? How does he have say over the franchise? And don't just tell me, provide me with a link.

Cheebs

Dax01 said:
What do you mean he is? How does he have say over the franchise? And don't just tell me, provide me with a link.
I dont have a link off hand it was ages ago. He wasnt just hired as the director or anything. He wasnt even going to direct it at first, just produce it and write the story outline but decided for the first film he should do it himself. And he was asked about any new tv shows and he said HE wont put any on tv any time soon because he thought having films and tv shows at once diluted the brand, and HE may do it down the line. That is someone who is speaking on behalf of the franchise, period.

Like I said this was almost a year ago, I have no link. But he spoke as authority of the franchise as a whole. You are in denial man.

Dax01 said:
I don't think so.
Why not? That's exactly what happened. Enterprise got cancelled because it couldn't produce mainstream numbers, after which there was a lot of talk about the whole franchise being put on indefinite hiatus because it had become so hardcore and hostile to casual audiences that it needed a long break until a fresh direction could be found. You even had Activision suing Paramount for mis-managing the franchise, things had gotten so bad. It was only when JJ and co. came along with a take designed to appeal to fans and mainstream alike that Paramount agreed to bring Trek back from the dead. If it wasn't for this movie Trek would most likely have continued to stay in hibernation for a long time to come.

Cheebs said:
I dont have a link off hand it was ages ago. He wasnt just hired as the director or anything. He wasnt even going to direct it at first, just produce it. And he was asked about any new tv shows and he said HE wont put any on tv any time soon because he thought having films and tv shows at once diluted the brand, and HE may do it down the line.
That can be taken in many different ways.

Like I said this was almost a year ago, I have no link. But he spoke as authority of the franchise as a whole. You are in denial man.
I'm in denial? Okay.

Gary Whitta said:
Why not? That's exactly what happened. Enterprise got canceled because it couldn't produce mainstream numbers,

Enterprise got canceled because the writing was shitty and only got "good" until it was too late.

If it wasn't for this movie Trek would most likely have continued to stay in hibernation for a long time to come.
I'm okay with that. I'd rather be left with what I have now than have some crappy movie in attempt to revive it.

Cheebs

Gary Whitta said:
Why not? That's exactly what happened. Enterprise got cancelled because it couldn't produce mainstream numbers, after which there was a lot of talk about the whole franchise being put on indefinite hiatus because it has become so hardcore and hostile to casual audiences that it needed a long break until a fresh direction could be found. It was only when JJ and co. came along with a take designed to appeal to fans and mainstream alike that Paramount agreed to bring Trek back from the dead. If it wasn't for this movie Trek would most likely have continued to stay in hibernation for a long time to come.
He probably thinks what trek needs is a DS9 movie or something

Cheebs

Gary Whitta said:
That's exactly what the hardcore fanbase thinks. They are their own worst enemy.
The mass mainstream public's only real knowledge of Star Trek is Kirk, Spock, and "that whale movie". That is about it.

Trekkies for the most part refuse to believe that as far as I can tell (not talking about Dax in particular here).

Paramount's dream is for the audience for this movie to be filled with 20-something males who never seen Star Trek in their lives. Not people who own DS9 dvds.

JayDubya

Banned
Cheebs said:

While I'm not the biggest fan of the Star Wars-hating teen, I have to say that he would probably loathe the DS9 characters getting this sort of rehashed treatment more than the TOS. Like I said to you earlier, if someone was messing with and totally creatively changing the TNG crew and timeline, I'd be quite cranky.

My neutrality on this remake / reboot is part and parcel due to my apathy for all things TOS that aren't Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, or a few meritorious episodes.

DS9 was a great show, though. To mock it for low ratings is to suggest that only popularity is the judge of merit, in which case, Britney Spears is awesome.

Mock Enterprise and Voyager all you want, but do it for lack of quality.

I kinda agree. DS9, to me, will always be the best ST but the old triumvirate is known basically by everyone.

Gary Whitta said:
That's exactly what the hardcore fanbase thinks. They are their own worst enemy.

that's why you're americanizing akira? Oh snap

Cheebs said:
The mass mainstream public's only real knowledge of Star Trek is Kirk, Spock, and "that whale movie". That is about it.

Trekkies for the most part refuse to believe that as far as I can tell (not talking about Dax in particular here).
Yup, and that's exactly why a reboot of the TOS characters was the only viable way to resurrect Trek in the mainstream. When the non-hardcore (ie almost everyone) think of Star Trek they think of Kirk, Spock and Klingons, with Picard, TNG and everything else a distant second. That's why the TNG movies produced ever-dwindling returns; mainstream audiences just weren't interested. For Trek to become a hit again it *has* to be Kirk and Spock, and it has to be with younger actors. Painful for the hardcore to accept, but it's either that or let the franchise lay dormant.

Cheebs

What trekkies need to remember is that to the mainstream public THIS is Star Trek:
bigkiss.jpg

JayDubya

Banned
Whitta has me on ignore (yay), but nevertheless, First Contact got high marks among critics and made the 2nd most bank of any Star Trek film.

This is a feather in the hat for the "reduced quality / poorer reviews" argument, frankly. Insurrection was bad and Nemesis was worse. Voyager was just plain bad and Enterprise wasn't much better; they didn't syndicate either, they had it tied to a doomed network that never should have existed.

In other words, quality went down, and then so did people's willingness to give the franchise their money. I don't think this means you need Kirk and Spock; it just means you need to not have shitty writing and direction.

Cheebs

JayDubya said:
Whitta has me on ignore (yay), but nevertheless, First Contact got high marks among critics and made the 2nd most bank of any Star Trek film.

This is a feather in the hat for the "reduced quality / poorer reviews" argument, frankly. Insurrection was bad and Nemesis was worse.
To be fair First Contact made 90 mil, a lot for the franchise as of the late 90's of course but not for this . This movie would be seen as a failure if it only made 90 mil.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wouldn't worry about the Time Travel thing, en in the bad shows like Enterprise and Voyager, Star Trek has always had a great track record when it comes to Time Travel done well, many more good eps than bad.

Still not impressed with the trailer, but at the same time I'm not running for the hills. Just not that impressed.

And I don't get the Carl Urban McCoy love. I was not impressed by that and like others have said, I didn't even notice it when I first saw the trailer. Diana Muldaur did a better McCoy in Next Generation. Maybe you got confused with Scotty, because he looks (and sounds) great.

Cheebs said:

I loved DS9 and would not want a movie. TV series had such a good ending.

Cheebs

DrForester said:
I wouldn't worry about the Time Travel thing, en in the bad shows like Enterprise and Voyager, Star Trek has always had a great track record when it comes to Time Travel done well, many more good eps than bad.
The two biggest trek movies were time travel too lol. It's been trek's good luck charm film wise so far.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gary Whitta said:
And some of the best of the TV eps have been time travel-based too.

The two greatest episodes of Voyager were Time Travel based (well, one took place completely in the future, no actual traveling was done)and both hold their own among the finest Trek episodes of any series.

Cheebs

Also I guess we can confirm Kirk has sex with Uhura now. Pause that sex scene in HD from the trailer. It's Pine and Saldana.

Cheebs said:
Also I guess we can confirm Kirk has sex with Uhura now. Pause that sex scene in HD from the trailer. It's Pine and Saldana.
Seems like a natural extension for Trek since Kurk and Uhura shared that famous first inter-racial kiss on TV, and of course for this movie to be true to the character he HAS to shag someone.

JayDubya

Banned
Cheebs said:

Funny, I was just about to pipe in how I thought it was funny how he had sex with some random chick on Uhura's bed. Because I didn't think it looked anything like her, but it's definitely her room.

Edit: No, it's definitely not Uhura, and if anything is clear, it is that Kirk is hiding under Uhura's bed after his make-out session with someone else was rudely interrupted.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My fave Star Trek movie is still The Motion Picture, so feel free to ignore my opinion. That looks amazing.

Walshicus

I really can only echo the sentiments of so many others here when I try to tell you Dax, that it's this Star Trek or no Star Trek. The public don't want DS9 and what the movie became - they want fun, iconic adventures in space. The Star Trek you love failed.

Sir Fragula said:
I really can only echo the sentiments of so many others here when I try to tell you Dax, that it's this Star Trek or no Star Trek. The public don't want DS9 and what the movie became - they want fun, iconic adventures in space. The Star Trek you love failed.
How so?

Cheebs

JayDubya said:
Funny, I was just about to pipe in how I thought it was funny how he had sex with some random chick on Uhura's bed. Because I didn't think it looked anything like her, but it's definitely her room.
Up the brightness if you wanna see, it's her.

I wonder what these guys are who Bana's character is smacking around.

kling.png

JayDubya

Banned
Cheebs said:
Up the brightness if you wanna see, it's her.

Uhura.jpg

KirkNotUhura.jpg

KirkNotUhura2.jpg

Not really the most important topic in the world to argue about, but...

Kirk's making out with some white (?) chick in Uhura's room, on Uhura's bed, but it ain't her. Looks like light brown hair with some curl to it. Different bra, and more content within said bra.

From the two scenes we can infer that Kirk gets with some random minor crewman or some non-Starfleet character, Uhura comes back, then Kirk's hiding under her bed without his shirt on.

JayDubya said:
Kirk's making out with some white (?) chick in Uhura's room, on Uhura's bed, but it ain't her. Looks like light brown hair with some curl to it. Different bra, and more content within said bra.

Swingers party on the enterprise. It's more exciting to swap partners and rooms...

Cheebs

I assumed it was her cause her skin seemed to dark to be white. But I was looking around someone did a better job of upping it. It's an Orion slave girl (which we knew were in the movie) apparently.

my theory: Kirk's current redneck girlfriend getting banged for the last time and ditched in no time because of Kirk's more rabid passion for the cockpit

or maybe it's Spock's mother

JayDubya said:
Sounds like Kirk alright.

Incidentally, never liked Kirk. :p

Kirk was my first male role model. The ultimate space pimp who was the template for a man's man.

My biggest problem most likely with the movie will be that it will be impossible to recreate Kirk for me because so much of Shatner's dna is in the character.

JayDubya

Banned
Cheebs said:
I assumed it was her cause her skin seemed to dark to be white. But I was looking around someone did a better job of upping it. It's an Orion slave girl (which we knew were in the movie) apparently.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/fullcredits
Can't tell, but doesn't look much like Rachel Nichols or Diora Baird, whoever they are, from their IMDB pics anyway. In any event, not Zoe Saldana.

Anasui Kishibe said:
my theory: Kirk's current redneck girlfriend getting banged for the last time and ditched in no time because of Kirk's more rabid passion for the cockpit

or maybe it's Spock's mother

Definately not Winona Ryder. And his redneck girlfriend would have to have come onboard the Enterprise, because that's definitely Uhura's room.

Wacky comic hijinx!!!

>_>

DS9 was way way overrated and thank goodness they didn't follow up with a movie based on that series. I would say maybe a good third of DS9 was amazing but there was a lot of bad and boring filler in between. That bad and boring filler in between prevents the series from being the greatness that people seem to think it is. I bet they're the same people who claim Firefly is so amazing when in fact only no more than half the episodes were good, and it was only beginning to get really interesting when it was canceled. It had the potential to be great, but it was only good by the time it hit the second half of the short season.

you agree? no shit :lol

Marty Chinn said:
DS9 was way way overrated and thank goodness they didn't follow up with a movie based on that series. I would say maybe a good third of DS9 was amazing but there was a lot of bad and boring filler in between. That bad and boring filler in between prevents the series from being the greatness that people seem to think it is. I bet they're the same people who claim Firefly is so amazing when in fact only no more than half the episodes were good, and it was only beginning to get really interesting when it was canceled. It had the potential to be great, but it was only good by the time it hit the second half of the short season.
OuterWorldVoice said:
At least it's real Trek and not some lame Joey-style spin off like DS9.

26131019.gif

JayDubya

Banned
Cheebs said:
Either way whoever it is, why do her in Uhura's room? :lol

My "wacky hijinx!!!" comment was based on previous screenings.

Apparently a running gag within the film, more or less.

Spoilers from press screenings; inference by me.

Kirk hits on Uhura in a bar, things get testy, Sulu and some other crew get in a fight with him over it, Pike breaks it up, gives him that preachy speech in the beginning of the trailer. During said fight, he apparently grabs her boobs.
Wacky hijinx!

Bones gets Kirk onboard by making him a patient; he makes him a patient by giving him a disease. The disease makes Kirks hands swell and paralyzes his tongue. The first person he runs into is Uhura and he can't talk and looks ridiculous.
Wacky hijinx!

Later, Kirk gets his mack on with some random chick by sneaking into some random crew member's quarters. Uh-oh, it's Uhura's room, better hide under the bed! Now she's stripping too, hehehe. Wacky hijinx!

Edit: People are insulting DS9 AND Firefly now? Motherfu...

fwscreen1.jpg

Cheebs

QUICK MUST CHANGE SUBJECTS NO DS9 FIGHTING. A lot of people on the internets are suspecting this is Nimoy's Spock in the window of this ship. Notice the older man in white robes:
3038691471_a762926974_b.jpg

3038691347_0ae076ae1f_b.jpg

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Phoenix said:
All good points. But as you said, the universe is vast... REALLY vast. If people are liking this trailer, not because it is a retelling of the history of Trek, but because it has a new focus for Trek - that didn't require the forced foolishness of traveling back in time (again) in order to 'rewrite' history. If you're doing this because you don't think that an audience will buy into it unless you use the familiar characters... that's just stupid.
Whether they indeed rewrite history remains to be seen. Like I've said, I think that the time travel plot is pivotal not because of the idea of time travel, but because Nimoy serves to anchor the entire picture and provides a proper contrast that illuminates so much of what made TOS great. If they then on top of that decide to rewrite the history, then it's probably because that happens to be a proper explanation as to how they can carve out an entire film series without disrupting the rest of the history that fans hold so dear. They could just opt for a straight out reboot, but if they're already including the time travel, then they are connecting it to the larger arc of Trek already, and an explanation is probably needed. But we have to see how the movie turns out first.

JayDubya said:

This is a feather in the hat for the "reduced quality / poorer reviews" argument, frankly. Insurrection was bad and Nemesis was worse. Voyager was just plain bad and Enterprise wasn't much better; they didn't syndicate either, they had it tied to a doomed network that never should have existed.

In other words, quality went down, and then so did people's willingness to give the franchise their money. I don't think this means you need Kirk and Spock; it just means you need to not have shitty writing and direction.
Quality helped to destroy Trek completely, but there is this basic tenet when serving a product that people will get bored of the same thing produced indefinitely. In other words, I think that the entire Trek empire was destined to collapse no matter how good it was. Perhaps if the quality had been there, true Trek fans might have been able to sustain it longer, and we wouldn't be in the situation where we literally need Kirk and Spock. But like I've been saying, I don't think that Trek could keep swapping in new crews and hold that up as innovation. People are going to get sick of that. And the problem with Star Trek is that it can literally get too big so that new fans are hard to bring in. Trek should have stopped at DS9, but I think that the complete collapse of Trek brought about what should have already happened, and this probably is the only way to turn Trek into a mega franchise.

bengraven

Different bra and the girl he shags isn't the same girl at all.

Damn, I was actually hoping he would get her. Uhura is really damn hot and I'm not even usually into black girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom