• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best portable emulation machine??

Third time I'm posting this but I still love my emulation setup. Runs most Dreamcast games to an extent. Using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 btw. Dat OLED! Also runs PSX games in high res OpenGL mode flawlessly (most games anyway, Tekken 3 is 1080p60).

HxgApmg.jpg

The controller is amazing and costs like $15. Search eBay for the iPega 9025. It has clickable sticks and everything.

HTC One with a snap on gamepad and the following emulators:

SNES9X EX
MY BOY
John GBC
EPSXE
NES.EMU
MD.EMU
NEO.EMU

I've had a PSP, Pandora and other devices. Absolutely nothing compares to the above. Nothing. Apart from the Shield of course.
I want to quote this one again. My HTC One has run everything I've thrown at it.

dock

I really love my PSP Go for emulation, but I agree with people here that the SNES emulation isn't good enough.

Mostly I use it for NES, Megadrive, Gameboy, etc. It's an excellent machine with great battery, great d-pad, and it is super compact. My only quibble is that the screen resolution is high but not high enough that it can comfortably display images at 2x size.

sörine

Banned
Any emulators you would recommend for Android? Most come at a small fee, which is fine for me, but then at least I want to buy the best for every console.
Retroarch. Takes a bit to configure but it's totally free and the imaging options are unmatched. Gives you near perfect O2, 2600, NES/FDS, SMS, 7800, TG16/CD, MD/CD/32X, SNES, PCFX, PSX, N64, GB/C, Lynx, GG, VB, NGP/C, WS/C, GBA, CPS1/2/3, NeoGeo and Sega S16/18/X/Y, as well as some specific game engines (Cave Story, SCUMM, Doom, Quake). And that's without messing with DOSBOX, MESS or MAME which add a ton more stuff. The next major update coming this year will also add Vectrex, MSX, SG1000, Coleco, Jaguar, 3DO and PSP! There's also a DS emulator but it's pretty bad.

Besides retroarch you really only need DraStic for DS ($5.99), Reicast for DC (free) and PPSSPP for PSP (free) but the last one is being added to retroarch soon. Dolphin for GC/Wii (free) is also making surprising progress on Android and is even semi-playable on some higher end devices already. There are also some Yabause emulator ports to Android for Saturn but nothing is really playable yet (I get 5-10 fps on Panzer Dragoon on my Shield) or sadly being worked on it seems. Hopefully Saturn and PS2 are the next targets for the Android community.

Third time I'm posting this but I still love my emulation setup. Runs most Dreamcast games to an extent. Using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 btw. Dat OLED! Also runs PSX games in high res OpenGL mode flawlessly (most games anyway, Tekken 3 is 1080p60).

The controller is amazing and costs like $15. Search eBay for the iPega 9025. It has clickable sticks and everything.

This looks pretty good, do the buttons map in RetroArch?

If you want a portable for strictly "portable" emulation (GB, GBA, Wonderswan, Game Gear, NG Pocket, etc.) then nothing beats an OG DSLite with a slot 1 and 2 flashcart. Some minor scaling issues with GB since it's not the same aspect ratio, but I've been doing that for years.

If you want a portable for strictly "portable" emulation (GB, GBA, Wonderswan, Game Gear, NG Pocket, etc.) then nothing beats an OG DSLite with a slot 1 and 2 flashcart. Some minor scaling issues with GB since it's not the same aspect ratio, but I've been doing that for years.

PSP will do the same job with a lot less hassle, but the DS Lite is good for emulation, it's true.

The only PORTABLE console that does what OP wants in the GCW Zero.

The PSP barely runs SNES.
The DS barely runs SNES, worse than the PSP
The nVidia Shield IS NOT PORTABLE, trust me I own one.
Android phones with clips and Playstation DS3 are not portable.

gbhjrdUl.jpg

JNhLA5I.jpg

Perfect SNES, GBA, GB(C), NES, etc emulation on a native 240p screen, no scaling and actually portable

Now, if your definition of portable is needing a backpack to carry your stuff, go with the nVidia shield.

If portable means being able to carry it in your jeans or coat go for the GCW Zero.

I cannot believe how insanely easy and cheap it is to emulate now.
-Go to RadioShack.
-Buy LG Optimus Zone 2 for $30
-Buy a Bluetooth controller for $15
-Play a billion games.

gbhjrdUl.jpg

JNhLA5I.jpg

Perfect SNES, GBA, GB(C), NES, etc emulation on a native 240p screen, no scaling and actually portable

Now, if your definition of portable is needing a backpack to carry your stuff, go with the nVidia shield.

If portable means being able to carry it in your jeans or coat go for the GCW Zero.

Wow, this looks really cool. Great price, too. Any more info? Notable limitations?

sörine

Banned
Notable limitations?
Shitty d-pad, sticky buttons. There are fixes for all of that but out of the box GCWZero has awful controls. Build quality is cheap feeling in general really. Also buy the black unit as white can have light bleeds from the leds and screen due to the cheap plastic used.

It's also essentially capped to 16bit stuff as the ceiling. There's some limited PSX and 32X support but it's not really playable. It's great for SNES/MD/CPS2/Neo level stuff if that's as far as you want to go though.

Wow, this looks really cool. Great price, too. Any more info? Notable limitations?

Of course, nothing is perfect.

Its not exactly user friendly, updating the machine and putting roms in it can be daunting for someone that doesnt understand basic OS stuff like folder structures. If you know basic Windows stuff, its super easy.

You also have to keep up with their forums to make sure you always have the latest version of your favorite emulators. There is no app store, or a way to install stuff from within the os.

Also, some of its promised features havent come to life yet, not a big deal for me but I really want them to come through with them, specifically, TV-Out via HDMI.

As it supports USB controllers and TV-Out (eventually), you can convert it into a console when you are home.

Also the D-Pad is a bit shit, its not broken, it works but it doesnt feel as solid as something from Nintendo, you can mod it if you want though.

So to sum it up it has a low res screen, shitty d-pad, sticky buttons, isn't user friendly and can't play anything above 16-bit. Why would you recommend it to anyone?

If it really has to be portable, without clip-ons, something like this would be way better. It's Android too, so you can play those games on it aswell.

Granted, the quality of that machine isn't exactly high, but it can do alot more than the GCW Zero...

Mihos

Gold Member

This is a good system also. It does Sega CD better than any other emu system I own, and I collect them.

bad news is, if it doesn't do it now, it never will... the development is pretty much dead on the Zero (pun intended). The analog stick is just for show... it does nothing. There are also other things they included that they never wrote drivers for... so they are just for show also... even the ones they did fix, like rumble and tilt don't have any uses. It also uses weird button combos for simple things like volume and turing the system off on etc... it also locks up frequently if you move between emulators often. At least they fixed most of the corrupt save issues.

Nvidia Shield. Is also the most powerful handheld in the wild atm (well, a bit bellow the iPad 5 and iPhone 5S on single thread CPU performance).

Pros:
  1. Fastest Handheld device atm.
  2. No hacking needed.
  3. It has (almost) all the necessary inputs.
  4. Generous built in storage with easy and cheap expansion through mini SD cards.
  5. Excellent battery life.
  6. Excellent build quality.
  7. Good screen.
  8. Excellent audio quality.
  9. Open OS with tons of software for other uses.
Cons:
  1. It's big. (Not pocket-able).
  2. It's more expensive that other alternatives, but imo the price is good for what you get.

Beaten. I will argue against the "more expensive" quote. It comes with 16 gigs built in, making it cheaper than a new Vita already.

baphomet

Its absolutely not a PSP if you want things to run well.

People recommending a PSP really shouldn't be when there are much better alternatives.

The PSP Go is great, but you don't get incredibly accurate emulation, and the analog stick (if you call it that) is awful. Not a big fan of the start/select circle, but that's hardly a complaint.

Not to mention you have to mod the damn thing to get it to do emulation.

MBison

Whats the best site for GCW Zero emu programs, firmware updates, and all that jazz? and tutorials if necessary.

I have a GCW and barely messed with it :(

kinn

So now my Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet is now paired to one of my DS4s.

New to Android and I was a little suprised to see the DS4 even controls the UI. So I assume all emulators with controller support will run with the DS4 just fine?

Any emulators you would recommend for Android? Most come at a small fee, which is fine for me, but then at least I want to buy the best for every console.

How about PC emulation. Worth the "trouble" of setting it up? Will I be able to play games like System Shock (System Shock 2???). Think the Z3 tablet is no slouch performance wise, right?

sörine;137605060 said:
Retroarch. Takes a bit to configure but it's totally free and the imaging options are unmatched. Gives you near perfect O2, 2600, NES/FDS, SMS, 7800, TG16/CD, MD/CD/32X, SNES, PCFX, PSX, N64, GB/C, Lynx, GG, VB, NGP/C, WS/C, GBA, CPS1/2/3, NeoGeo and Sega S16/18/X/Y, as well as some specific game engines (Cave Story, SCUMM, Doom, Quake). And that's without messing with DOSBOX, MESS or MAME which add a ton more stuff. The next major update coming this year will also add Vectrex, MSX, SG1000, Coleco, Jaguar, 3DO and PSP! There's also a DS emulator but it's pretty bad.

Besides retroarch you really only need DraStic for DS ($5.99), Reicast for DC (free) and PPSSPP for PSP (free) but the last one is being added to retroarch soon. Dolphin for GC/Wii (free) is also making surprising progress on Android and is even semi-playable on some higher end devices already. There are also some Yabause emulator ports to Android for Saturn but nothing is really playable yet (I get 5-10 fps on Panzer Dragoon on my Shield) or sadly being worked on it seems. Hopefully Saturn and PS2 are the next targets for the Android community.

This. Don't need to pay for emulators when you can have retroarch. Plus the others mentioned above.

Rezae

Android phone paired with a Moga Pro.

6TCRiWU.png

Tons of highly compatible emulators always getting updated, many of which are even programmed for the Moga - just turn on and play, no messing with settings. I have it paired with a Galaxy Note and it's great. Controller is excellent quality too.

PSP was a cool pick 4+ years ago. Anyone still recommending it is out of their mind.

Seik

Banned

gbhjrdUl.jpg

JNhLA5I.jpg

Sounds fun, only thing I don't like on it is the placement of the Y/X buttons. :p

Can it run PSX games? That would pretty much be the sweet spot for me.

I'm rocking the PSP Go for the same exact reason, OP. It's light, fits in my pocket without making me look like a doofus, and emulates perfectly.

Seik

Banned
Just impulse bought a JXD S7800b on a whim. I've been watching a couple of videos of it and it seems like a decent all-around retro emulator tablet with buttons and two joysticks. I even saw videos of it running Dreamcast games, which is even more than what I was asking for.

JXD-S7800-1_02.jpg

I have a 2nd gen Nexus 7 but I'll give it to my mother for Christmas, it was cool to play with a controller plugged in via an OTG cable but I think the S7800b is way more convenient for what I'm looking for.

I'll come back with a little review of it when I'll receive it.

Just impulse bought a JXD S7800b on a whim. I've been watching a couple of videos of it and it seems like a decent all-around retro emulator tablet with buttons and two joysticks. I even saw videos of it running Dreamcast games, which is even more than what I was asking for.

JXD-S7800-1_02.jpg

I have a 2nd gen Nexus 7 but I'll give it to my mother for Christmas, it was cool to play with a controller plugged in via an OTG cable but I think the S7800b is way more convenient for what I'm looking for.

I'll come back with a little review of it when I'll receive it.

Please do. I've been interested in something like this for a while now...

I really like my GCW Zero, but I'm only using it for 16-bit and earlier stuff... It's great for travelling though with decent battery life and great performance for Genesis, SNES and TG16 stuff... The D-Pad is shit, but it's better than that wretched analog stick on my GP2X which is what it replaced.

I picked up a second OLED Vita recently and briefly toyed with the idea of exploiting it but decided against it after a little research... I've got a PSP3K and a PSPgo with 6.60Pro on them that can run anything I could with an exploited Vita - what's the point?

I'd love to try an Nvidia Shield but I haven't even seen one yet except in pictures.

Top Bottom