• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastrami

At least the article does say Microsoft shipped 10 million consoles 3 months after Sony announced 10 million sold to consumers. The title, however, doesn't really hint at shipped vs sold.

My problem isn't shipped vs sold. And the title does say that it's shipments anyways. My problem with The Verge's article (and many other sites) is that it's stating something as fact when we know it hasn't come to fruition yet.

The article states as a fact that the XBox One has shipped over 10 million consoles, but the truth is that we don't know when Microsoft will have shipped 10 million XBox Ones. All we know is that they will ship over 10 million consoles shortly. What kind of time frame is shortly? This week? Next week? Next month? We know how far Microsoft is willing to spin their PR, and I have no doubt they are spinning as hard as they can here.

Nah, to any publisher, platform holder, developer, shipped is the same as sold. Both the retailer and platform holder hold discussions as to how many units to ship etc.

LOL NO.

Just because a company earns their bottom line through their shipped figures doesn't mean its treated the same.

Stockholding is a critical tenet of any business with physical goods, and you only achieve that by treating sell-in and sell-out differently.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Y2Kev is trolling guys, he doesn't have any sources.

I am very well connected, particularly compared to you. Your sources consist of the Halo 3 Legendary Edition cat helmet, Speedy Blue Dude, and the imaginary notes Larry Hyrb writes on your bathroom mirror after a shower.

Amir0x

Banned
LOL NO.

Just because a company earns their bottom line through their shipped figures doesn't mean its treated the same.

Stockholding is a critical tenet of any business with physical goods, and you only achieve that by treating sell-in and sell-out differently.

Yup. On top of that, if there is a big disparity between shipped to stores and sold, it's even worse. Because the longer a product is on shelves, the more money you actually begin to lose.

These companies greatly care what their sell-through to consumers is. It matters hugely.

Y2Kev said:
Your sources consist of the Halo 3 Legendary Edition cat helmet, Speedy Blue Dude, and the imaginary notes Larry Hyrb writes on your bathroom mirror after a shower.

That's really insulting Kev. He also talks to Tim Dogg.

ICPEE

Nah, to any publisher, platform holder, developer, shipped is the same as sold. Both the retailer and platform holder hold discussions as to how many units to ship etc.
GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-Jack-Nicholson-Anger-Management-GIF.gif

Hindle

Banned
LOL NO.

A retailer would not order 2m units if they did not think they were going to sell.

This may be hard for you to understand, but MS, Sony, Nintendo are always in discussions with the major retailers, especially for the critical holiday period.

won't be surprised if it does sell better then the ps4 this winter with this new price tag, sony needs to react, and im still waiting for a 500 dollar ps vita ps4 bundle, would be very nice.

DrkSage

I am very well connected, particularly compared to you. Your sources consist of the Halo 3 Legendary Edition cat helmet, Speedy Blue Dude, and the imaginary notes Larry Hyrb writes on your bathroom mirror after a shower.

My face is probably bright red right now. Can't breath.

That cat helmet is more connected than you give it credit for.

It's told me things you wouldn't even believe... it even told me a little secret today.

orochi91

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Is anybody surprised by that? They're being more aggressive right now, and sony hasn't made a move. Not necessarily that they have to, but it may have been a smart move to keep the momentum up.

Dragon

Banned
Of course they're saying that, as they want to create demand. If people think this offer is limited, they'll rush to the store and buy it straight away.

I truly hope you're being paid by Microsoft. Because I'd understand where you're coming from a whole hell of a lot more.

Hindle

Banned

Keep telling yourself that Kev.

Amir0x

Banned
But the Xbox One all-in-one gaming and entertainment system from Microsoft is the best selling all-in-one gaming and entertainment system from Microsoft!

it's the only all-in-one gaming and entertainment system ever, so by default it is the best selling all-in-one gaming and entertainment system in industry history!

Trojan

I'd be stunned if MS jacked the price back up in January.

I originally felt they might roll the price back post-Holiday, but after thinking it through I totally agree with you. Jacking the price back up would essentially destroy any hype for the next price drop. Meanwhile, the same price drop for Sony would make a lot more news because it would be for the first time.

Microsoft needs momentum now more than anything, and the price drop is creating that. If they're playing the long game (which I feel like Phil Spencer is definitely doing), they will keep its current price point going forward.

Hindle

Banned
That they've already gotten their money for the sale.

That's the way it works. Of course sold through to customers is the more accurate point of sale, but that is true. They've made their sale when Wal-Mart places the order.

And Wall mart place that order based on interest, preorders, and general demand. So good to have an educated user here.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

yea ether!

W1xha9r.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom