• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Wall mart place that order based on interest, preorders, and general demand. So good to have an educated user here.

Sorry for being uneducated. I might have to start making completely unfounded predications based on the letters spelled out by my bowl of Alphabetti like some other users' here.

Handy Fake

I am very well connected, particularly compared to you. Your sources consist of the Halo 3 Legendary Edition cat helmet, Speedy Blue Dude, and the imaginary notes Larry Hyrb writes on your bathroom mirror after a shower.

You glorious bastard.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That they've already gotten their money for the sale.

That's the way it works. Of course sold through to customers is the more accurate point of sale, but that is true. They've made their sale when Wal-Mart places the order.
But it isn't true. Publishers certainly care about whether or not stock is actually sold to the customer because of a continued relationship between publishers and retailers.

That's what the whole credit system is based on that has been implemented like 7 years ago.

Publishers don't sell consoles.
That's actually the way software is handled too.

An order is placed based on expected demand. The publisher gets their money, and from there more orders can be placed, or the seller takes a loss on the product. In extreme cases they can be sold back to the manufacturer, but that's really really rare.
And Wall mart place that order based on interest, preorders, and general demand. So good to have an educated user here.
This is part of the reason why XboxOne shipments last quarter were kind of worrying to MS, and why they've done this severe price drop for the holiday season. Demand was falling off into WiiU territory. They shipped last quarter only a few hundred thousand units more than WiiU.

On another argument in the thread. I expect $329 to be it's price going forward. If it's honestly helping as much as MS is leading us to believe, they won't raise the price.

But it isn't true. Publishers certainly care about whether or not stock is actually sold to the customer because of a continued relationship between publishers and retailers.

That's what the whole credit system is based on that has been implemented like 7 years ago.

I wasn't trying to imply they don't care. Just trying to say it is true where the point of sale is for the manufacturer/publisher.

It happens long before we get the disc off the shelf.

cafemomo

Good for MS
After borrowing a Xbox one just to play some Halo 2 and Forza Horizon ill admit, I'm a bit impressed with the console. And forza is such a blast

But it's still way too much for me. Cut off another $150 and throw in a free sub to XBL and I'll bite

Amir0x

Banned
On another argument in the thread. I expect $329 to be it's price going forward. If it's honestly helping as much as MS is leading us to believe, they won't raise the price.

No waaaay imo. $349 is their official holiday pricing level, so if anything it'd settle at that.

DBT85

A console is picking up decent momentum and some people are irked . I don't get some of you at all. Supposed to be gamers aren't we ?

We cannot infer from this PR statement that any decent momentum has been achieved. That's the issue with the statement.

We know it's shipped more than 7.5 and less than 10 but we don't know when they'll get to 10, it could be a week, it could be 2 months.

We know from this statement that it sold more than any other 8th gen console in the first 2 weeks of November and that it sold 3 times more than the last week of October. We know that at the end of October people knew about the new deal, so would have stopped buying, and MCC and a price cut sure as fuck should have helped boost sales. We don't even know if it beat PS4 both weeks or just one.

It is PR with no substance at all.

All we know is that they will ship over 10 million consoles shortly. What kind of time frame is shortly? This week? Next week? Next month? We know how far Microsoft is willing to spin their PR, and I have no doubt they are spinning as hard as they can here.
That really doesn't matter. As far as publishers are concerned they can feel good in knowing 10 million will have been on store shelves before the Christmas season ends.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man you people really are killing each other over this sale stuff. Microsoft PR spin - so what? that's their god damn job. They are not talking to GAF, they are talking to general public and shareholders. Give them a break you all.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I wasn't trying to imply they don't care. Just trying to say it is true where the point of sale is for the manufacturer/publisher.

It happens long before we get the disc off the shelf.
Okay, then let's not use "don't care." let's use the actual phrasing where publishers allegedly consider shipped the same as sold.

They do not. Otherwise the credit system used by publishers with GameStop or the re-categorization of SKU from new to used wouldn't have been a big deal so many years ago.

Man you people really are killing each other over this sale stuff. Microsoft PR spin - so what? that's their god damn job. They are not talking to GAF, they are talking to general public and shareholders. Give them a break you all.

Yeah we should praise companies for being shady and misleading. Kappa.

Stimpack

This thread is really going places. Anyway, I'll be shocked if Microsoft doesn't take this month. If there's any time for them to pull ahead, it's right now.

Dragon

Banned

Their job is to make a compelling product that sells, not mislead people like MajorNelson is trying to do. No one needs your permission to decry something like that tweet.

And I definitely don't support Hindle and his insulting other users thing.

You might think of me as "educated", but that's far from a smart round to take little Hindle.

wmlk

idGVWxs.png

Nelson pls.

Mattrick lives

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I am very well connected, particularly compared to you. Your sources consist of the Halo 3 Legendary Edition cat helmet, Speedy Blue Dude, and the imaginary notes Larry Hyrb writes on your bathroom mirror after a shower.

Reported for attempted murder.

Amir0x

Banned
Amirox, you were demodded for banning people just because you disagreed with thier opinion on Kinect. Your opinion of me really doesn't mean much.

dude, this is hilarious. you don't even know why I was demodded. You have it completely wrong. This completely made up story of yours doesn't even share any similarities with why I was demodded lol

You're getting called out for being a Microsoft shill and obvious fanboy. That's what you are. own it bro. No shame in it.

I meant $349.

Those Black Friday deals just kind of make me seriously think of getting a One.

Yeah it's really hard for me to hold off. But ID@Xbox parity clause...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Yeah, why correct obvious spin? Let PR do their job y'all.

what exactly are you correcting?

Yeah we should praise companies for being shady and misleading. Kappa.

what the fuck is so misleading about this? They have clearly said SOLD to RETAIL. Also clearly stated Two weeks. So please explain yourself.

edit

just saw Major's tweet. lol carry on guys. That is indeed bullshit.

Rurunaki

This thread is really going places. Anyway, I'll be shocked if Microsoft doesn't take this month. If there's any time for them to pull ahead, it's right now.

Even with Microsoft taking October and November, I doubt it will faze Sony that much. Like all the PR spokesperson have said before "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon." or something like that.

Hindle

Banned
Bish.

What's ironic is how on a neutral gaming forum, (as stated on the main page) that we have you as a mod who is openly bias.

Now that's hilarious.

Amir0x

Banned
Bish.

What's ironic is how on a neutral gaming forum, (as stated on the main page) that we have you as a mod who is openly bias.

Now that's hilarious.

Oh man this guy. I'm going to grab some popcorn

On Demand said:
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not even remotely true though. He literally pulled the story from his ass, just like his Microsoft predictions lol

We cannot infer from this PR statement that any decent momentum has been achieved. That's the issue with the statement.
The momentum is obviously real and undeniable. It doesn't take too much research to figure that much out. The only question here are the numbers.

Come on people, you know we would all benefit if you all stopped replying to Hindle right? Then we wouldn't have to read his nonsense so often.

NolbertoS

But GAF > Internet > GAF you'd be surpeised how many Console PR dudes visit GAF, man even Pachter lurks here. GAF is taken as a sample size of the hardcore gamer. If a game flies here , than most likely other news sites will spin "its a good game according to sources". I use to be skeptical about GAF, but I know they hold abit of marketing power.

HariKari

just saw Major's tweet. lol carry on guys. That is indeed bullshit.

Well, that was quick. It's worded in a way to excite Xbox fans about finally catching up to the PS4 when that's really not the case. The emphasis on the week to week jump has me thinking they lost the NPD again and are trying to get out in front of it. We've seen this before.

Both consoles doing well is good for the industry. It's just that MS insists on being sketchy about how they trumpet their success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom