• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen (360/PC) First Details Revealed

Endless

Risen Arises: Epic Role Playing Experience on Xbox 360® in 2009

Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes Reveal New Action Role Playing Epic

Hermosa Beach, Calif.—Deep Silver Inc., a publisher of interactive entertainment software and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Koch Media, and Piranha Bytes today officially announced Risen for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC. The game, which is targeted at a mature audience, is expected to ship in 2009.

The epic role playing game is set in a medieval world on a volcanic Mediterranean island, The Risen story unfolds over four chapters and will offer multiple ways to develop the story by his own actions and decisions. An innovative and intuitive user control interface will support both casual and hardcore gamers. With full world streaming support, the player experiences no tedious loading of areas while playing in a fully simulated game world with authentic characters.

"Piranha Bytes has a track record of making incredible, in-depth games set in huge, detailed worlds, and Risen will be a great experience," said Cathy Tische, vice president of sales and marketing for Deep Silver. "The game already exhibits the quality and creativity that has made Piranha Bytes such a respected developer."

PSGames

Hmmm I've never heard of these guys and can't really discearn much from the pics. I love roleplaying games though so hopefully this will be good.

Rhindle

PSGames said:
Hmmm I've never heard of these guys and can't really discearn much from the pics. I love roleplaying games though so hopefully this will be good.
THey're the guys who developed the Gothic series.

Zzoram

I'm all for more cRPGs, even if they all seem to also be on Xbox 360 nowadays. You've got to fund the them somehow I guess.

I loved G2 & 3 (grabbed the original on GOG so I'll be playing that soon) so I have little doubt that I'll love Risen as well.

Zzoram said:
I'm all for more cRPGs, even if they all seem to also be on Xbox 360 nowadays. You've got to fund the them somehow I guess.

I thought it was odd that Gothic 3 never found its way on to the 360. With better combat controls, it seems like it would be a perfect fit.

(Man, I hope DeepSilver has dropped activation limitions by the time that this comes out.)

Edit: Retail seems to only use a Tages' disc check w/o activation components. :)

Edit X2: Running into DRM activation errors on Steam version.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Reminds me, I need to download Witcher.

With Persona 4 on my plate right now, not sure when I'll ever get to it.

-SD-

Banned
Piranha Bytes have made Gothic 1 & 2, the best action-RPGs ever.

They have also made, in my books, the best game ever: Gothic 2: Night Of The Raven.

So, needless to say, I'm waiting for Risen (PC) like the fourth coming of a Piranha Bytes game.

bengraven

I canNOT get Gothic 2 to load consistantly on my PC. Even after downloading the patch. And I meet the recommended specs.

So that said, my trips to that world were few and far between. All I remember was clunky battles, bad animations and horrible voice acting. BUT I also remember it being my "Fable" fix before Fable was released and it met that in spades.

I've considered going back without the goggles, but again, it will not fucking load.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Durante said:
I'm keeping an eye out for the PC version. When Piranha Bytes games work, they're really great.

This. They dont always work out the gate, and sometimes they dot get patched for months... but they are great to pick up after they have been fixed up.

-SD-

Banned
Interview: http://www.pixelrage.org/articles/Risen-QA-with-Ralf-Marczinczik-Feature-325,0.html

Pixel: How do we address you guys now? Is it still Piranha Bytes or Pluto 13 after the break-up with Jowood?
Ralf Marczinczik: It´s Piranha Bytes. That´s the name of the team. Whatever the legal name for the given Project may be is not a s relevant. It´s the people that count.

Pixel: Are you still using Genome Engine for rendering? If not, what sort of engine are you using now.
Ralf Marczinczik: It´s a complete self-made-engine. It has no name - but we can call it Frank, if you like ;-)

Pixel: When are we going to see Risen / what is the current status?
Ralf Marczinczik: We are entering the polishing and debugging phase with alarming speed.

Pixel: Is it still an CRPG?
Ralf Marczinczik: Of course. You also have multiple careers you can follow and have the endings according to your actions.

Pixel: Can you drop some details on the story?
Ralf Marczinczik: Nope. Just the stuff you´ve already read elsewhere. You wake up on a mysterious island and have to learn your way around. The inquisition is already on to something - but I can´t spoil that too early. (NR - They're going to get wacked if they leak too much... :)

Pixel: Who's gonna be the baddies ? Orcs /demons / some other evil spawns?
Ralf Marczinczik: I am sworn to secrecy, sorry. I really don´t wanna lose my job.

Pixel: With Gothic you set the standard for realism with a living-breathing world, character schedules, consequences, etc. In what area are you going to amaze the world this time?
Ralf Marczinczik: You have tremendous detail in the world- and lots of stuff to explore. And all this is set by hand. No random elements like some other games. Very controlled and tastefully arranged. And of course you have to take into your consideration, that we also have to deliver the standard GFX-FX that people expect from a game like this.

Pixel: What other games do you like?
Ralf Marczinczik: I am a graphic artist, so if you have a game that is well designed, I am up to buy it: Shadow of the Colossus, the Prince of Persia series, Halo, etc...

Pixel: What size is the gameworld going to be? Is it a long and epic game?
Ralf Marczinczik: A bit Bigger that Gothic one - but definitely not as big as Gothic 3. And yes - it´s quite an epic journey with long hours to play around...

Pixel: Send a message to the crowds!
Ralf Marczinczik: We really owe you guys. Thanks for the unparallelled support - especially after the breakup from JoWooD.

Captain N

sbg1.jpg

New Soulja Boy game?

BeeDog

After the greatest fuckup ever with Gothic 3, I can't say I'm excited about this. But as fucking awesome as Gothic 2 Gold Edition was, there is this little shred of hope in me still.

-SD-

Banned
BeeDog said:
After the greatest fuckup ever with Gothic 3
I wouldn't call Gothic 3 a fuckup. It was released too early but it was a good RPG, but not nearly as good as the previous 2 Gothic's.

Still, even Gothic 3 is heaps better and more interesting than the Fallout 3's, Oblivion's and whatnot that people buy in millions.

Do the people bitching in here about the graphics not realize this game isn't done yet?

Jesus christ, graphics aren't fucking everything. I'd rather it look mediocre and play great than the other way around.

BeeDog

-SD- said:
I wouldn't call Gothic 3 a fuckup. It was released too early but it was a good RPG, but not nearly as good as the previous 2 Gothic's.

Still, even Gothic 3 is heaps better and more interesting than the Fallout 3's, Oblivion's and whatnot that people buy in millions.

I was speaking in relative terms compared to the second game, but still, Gothic 3's definitely not even remotely close to say Fallout 3. It's just too broken.

I hope they get some major funds and have enough time to let this one bake. They have have always been a developer that has made relatively ambitious titles on the cheap.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'll be there for the PC version! Gothic 3 was a disappointment, and the devs were going about fixing it with a mega-patch, but sadly that fell through.

Druz

I had no idea Piranha Byte was making this one, is the studio called Pluto 13 now or what? Gothic 3 didn't turn out so hot... but let's assume it was JoWoods fault since PB broke ties with them.

The screen shots look ehhh, but with a PB game you have to move around to see what the game actually looks like. Everything is hand placed unlike Bethesdas games.

clashfan

Just make as good as Gothic 2 and they have a day 1 sale from me. BTW, has Gothic 3 been patch enough to make it playable?

Mejilan

clashfan said:
Just make as good as Gothic 2 and they have a day 1 sale from me. BTW, has Gothic 3 been patch enough to make it playable?

Not really. PB and JoWood broke up and funding fell through before the Gothic 3 mega-patch was finalized. Then an outsourced Indian dev was tapped to create the Gothic 3 expansion, but it apparently made the game worse. And actually removed areas/content. An anti-expansion? *shrugs*

-SD-

Banned
Good interview: http://www.worldofrisen.de/article_72.htm (translated from German)

2. Will there be noteworthy graphical differences between the Xbox 360 and the PC?

It's still too early to give a final answer to that. But currently, it looks like the differences are very insignificant.

GREAT artworks: http://www.worldofrisen.de/calendar08.php
10. Which of the artworks from this year's advent calendar have been integrated in the game in the most direct way?

The harbour and the rotworm (german: "Rottwurm"). And the ocular of the Inquisitor.

PseudoKirby said:
isnt chespace Che Chou from MGS? o_O

why is he bant?

probably trolling, he was going at it in the HOME thread.

just because he is from MGS does not mean
we should kiss his ass and put him on a throne
. We are all gamers, same level.

Mejilan said:
Then an outsourced Indian dev was tapped to create the Gothic 3 expansion, but it apparently made the game worse. And actually removed areas/content. An anti-expansion? *shrugs*
It's good in a way though. Playing both makes you realise just how much Piranha Bytes actually got right in Gothic 3, by how much those other morons managed to make the world any everything of the expansion feel completely dead and ruined.

A new patch was released yesterday for Forsaken Gods btw. I didn't try the game with it yet. I'm afraid there won't be anything worth playing with left in there if they removed all the bugs :lol

Mejilan

I got the Gothic 3 CE (which includes the FG expansion) as a gift a few days ago. I've yet to install, and will probably hold off until the patch cycle for the game ends completely.

IoCaster

-SD- said:

This is the kind of reasoning that doesn't really make any sense. Please be kind enough to read over what you wrote and justify why a prematurely released and buggy game, that wasn't even as good as it's predecessors, is heaps better than a couple of critically acclaimed and popular titles. Oblivion was GOTY for many people and Fallout 3 is similarly praised by many critics and fans alike. WTF?

-SD-

Banned
IoCaster said:
This is the kind of reasoning that doesn't really make any sense. Please be kind enough to read over what you wrote and justify why a prematurely released and buggy game, that wasn't even as good as it's predecessors, is heaps better than a couple of critically acclaimed and popular titles. Oblivion was GOTY for many people and Fallout 3 is similarly praised by many critics and fans alike. WTF?
Hey, it's just my opinion. Fallout's and TES games just do not excite me. End of story.

Azih

I was not hardcore enough by far for Gothic 2. Is Risen for me?

Also JoWood absolutely sucks, good on those guys for breaking free.

-SD-

Banned
Risen will be shown on April 3-5 at RPC 2009 event in Cologne Trade Fair, Germany.

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=546874
There will be a new major event in the next months, on which Risen will be a major part of.
This one calls "Role Play Convention". A small but popular german fair and the only one relating to role-playing-games in the world.
The "RPC" will take place from the 3rd to 5th april in the Cologne Trade Fair, Germany.

As officially announced yesterday, "Risen" will be shown there, presented by the Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes team.
If you're willing to take a flight over to germany for a weekend, this may be your chance! The next big airport to cologne, "Düsseldorf Airport" is just a few miles away and accessible from the most countries in the world.
Can't wait to see PB's new baby in action.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I would love to see Piranha Bytes get a game through Microsoft Certification for the 360.

This should be funny.

Rolf NB

Mejilan said:
Not really. PB and JoWood broke up and funding fell through before the Gothic 3 mega-patch was finalized. Then an outsourced Indian dev was tapped to create the Gothic 3 expansion, but it apparently made the game worse. And actually removed areas/content. An anti-expansion? *shrugs*
Is "impansion" a word?

Huggy

Sinatar said:
I would love to see Piranha Bytes get a game through Microsoft Certification for the 360.

This should be funny.

The Xbox 360 got through Microsoft Certification. I won't be laughing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MirageDwarf said:
:lol

Castle Crashers, Gears 2 passed it too.

Yea and if you think either of those are even close to the way Gothic 1-3 shipped then you are fucking out of your mind.

Top Bottom