• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

Tiktaalik

It's clear there can be more multiple victors this generation and while price is certainly a strong factor, particularly as the current economic situation continues to prevail, the most important factor that will drive success in 2009 will be the line-up of compelling games that will keep consumers involved in the industry."

Hardcore gamer response: "alskdjf?@#$@#SDJFklasdjfl "

GeoramA

gregor7777 said:
Those people that supposedly associate gaming with the Playstation brand?

Yah, got news for you. They're getting crushed at retail by those of my generation that have always associated console gaming with Nintendo.

RIP Playstation. What a sorry ass performance.

EDIT:

And L4D > R2? :lol :lol :lol
Sounds like this is high point of your life. Congrats.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
mrklaw said:
as for their future in videogames - well after N64 and gamecube you'd have said the same about Nintendo, and now look at them.
The difference of course is that Nintendo made a profit on the gamecube and N64 while Sony is suffering extreme losses with the PS3. And that makes a world of difference.

Frillen

WasteLand Soldier said:
holy CRAP at wii hardware. WTF tho how can you sell 2 million units and have SHIT software sales like that? thats not good IMO.

Shit software sales? I see 5 Wii games in the top 10.

donny2112

schuelma said:
The #10 game was at almost 300K.

It could have equaled its October sales and not charted and still be at almost 500K in the U.S

Not an overwhelming success but not a bomb.

Didn't you hear? Everything under #10 sold zero units this month. Shocking, I know. It's like that every month, isn't it?

Amir0x

Banned
yay, 360 did just well enough for me to ignore the sobering system with no quality End 2008 games releasing selling 2,000,000. I guess we know that "it's all about the games" on one system for the time being!

Now invest money on the hardcore, Nintendo, for new IPs with big budgets!

TJ Spyke

itxaka said:
woah. I thougth the GTA were at the 8 million mark. Shit, Wii is gonna finish all the ps2 records at this pace.

One of them is, his numbers are a little off. The PS2 version of Vice City sold 8.2 million in the US and 8.61 million total worldwide.

If you mean worldwide sales, Wii Play has already outside the highest selling PS2 game. The best selling PS2 game was Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas at 12 million. Wii Sports has sold 30.87 million and Wii Play has done 16.15 million. Mario Kart Wii will pass the mark too since its at 9.53 million.

Halvie

Banned
truly101 said:
So....what are the odds the PS3 gets dreamcasted next year? Will it even be around when FFXIII comes out?

If it is still ahead of the gamecube it isn't going to get "dreamcasted".

d+pad

I'm amazed Animal Crossing didn't sell more in its first half-month, considering how popular the first installment was (and the DS version, too.). Maybe it was in the top 20? I wonder how it will do in December.

It'd be nice if NOA stopped with the ads featuring adult women and get some other demographics in there...

Proven

Y2Kev said:
Viva Pinata Party Animals bundle is not what I mean. It's not a permanent bundle...it's a, "oh, some bombas, let's bundle it" type deal. When there is a permanent sku of minigames that showcase the 360's capabilities as a machine, we'll talk. I think the consumer isn't dumb. There is no major proliferation of this product obviously.

Really, I think the main reason is because it wouldn't work for the 360. The 360 tries to get everyone to get their own console, so they can all get Xbox Live, pay at a rate of at least $50/year, and play all on their own consoles apart. You'd only need the controller bundled with the console for all that.

And I hate the "360 is $200, therefore cheaper" comments. Unless 360 game saves are smaller than I realize, it costs $50 at least for memory, meaning it'll be $250 either way for me. And then if you're like me and have a TV that has ability beyond composite, you either buy a more expensive bundle or extra cables anyway.

brandonh83 said:
Good job Nintendo.

NOW HOW ABOUT YOU START MAKING SOME GAMES

They cant do all the work.....its not like they have epic, rockstar and all the big western developers making games for the wii.....

Cygnus X-1

1cesc said:
For those asking:

The highest console sales in a month is Dec 2002 when the PS2 sold 2.7 million.
The highest November sales were PS2's Nov 2002 total of 1.3 million.

So, Nintendo utterly destroyed the record for november. Eventually, I do think that the record for december will be creamed next month.

2 Million....2 FUCKING MILLION...the words esc-over a million and a half for the DS!!!!

*Looks at 360 sales*

Pretty good.

*Looks at PS3 sales*

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Holy shit. Things just keep getting worse and worse.

But seriously the Wii just did an almost 1 million lead over both next gen consoles in one month.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Pachael said:
Valkyria probably bombed anyway, but that was expected. How about Last Remnant? Are JRPGs not selling well?

They are not in US. The era of JRPGs seems to be over... we will see once we get FF13, it will be the true test of JRPGs, if it does not demolish everything, then JRPGs are done.

brandonh83 said:
Good job Nintendo.

NOW HOW ABOUT YOU START MAKING SOME GAMES
punch-out-wii-screenshot.jpg

sin-and-punishment-2-wii-screenshot.jpg

your wish has been granted

Strike

truly101 said:
So....what are the odds the PS3 gets dreamcasted next year? Will it even be around when FFXIII comes out?

Now you're being a little hyperbolic, but it's definely looking like at this rate it's ontrack to secure its place as the xbox of this gen.

Kusagari

AndyD said:
They are not in US. The era of JRPGs seems to be over... we will see once we get FF13, it will be the true test of JRPGs, if it does not demolish everything, then JRPGs are done.

Lost Odyssey did 200k+ it's first month. A JRPG can still do well in the US if it's advertised correctly. Almost none of them are.

voltron said:
but the Wii is aimed at the mass market who dont look at the games like true gamers do. I think the notion still stands. The Wii is an anomaly and as such any theories drawn around it pretty much apply to it and nothing else.
lol

true gamerz yo~

TTG

so, umm... does anyone have numbers for Fallout 3? I'm guessing expectations are falling to just over a mil for both SKUs?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Vargas said:
Sony needs to drop the price of the PS3 like right now.

Dropping the price now is seriously going to hurt their bottomline, especially with the yen kicking all sorts of ass.

Nice job to Nintendo. Amazing sales numbers.

Sony is in some serious trouble if they can't turn things around soon. The economy hasn't even hit rock bottom yet.

GhaleonEB

Amir0x said:
yay, 360 did just well enough for me to ignore the sobering system with no quality End 2008 games releasing selling 2,000,000. I guess we know that "it's all about the games" on one system for the time being!

Now invest money on the hardcore, Nintendo, for new IPs with big budgets!
They have no incentive to do that, though. Nada.

ksamedi

I'm glad Wii Music is selling decently. Atleast its going to make a nice profit for Nintendo so that they would consider a sequal. Regarding the hardware sales, I wonder where the limit is to Wii demand. 3 million? 4 million? Amazing numbers.

im really glad, and pleasantly surprised, that the game industry did better in sales than last november with the way the economy is affecting consumers. i wish this could somehow cause a lot of these layoffs to be a little more restrained in light of the numbers. doubtful though.

ps3... boo. sucks, but i'd really like to see a comparison of sony's last 2 november numbers. only reason is that ps3 could end up being a psp this gen and just keep a steady, mild, pace the rest of it's life- with a few brief spikes from monster hunter portable type stuffs.

polyh3dron said:
What are all these Wii owners going to do when they see the footage for all these awesome PS3 games during the VGAs on Sunday?

I don't know about Wii owners but Spike would have the greatest ratings night of their lifetime if that actually happened.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
360 over 800k: :D
Third parties on 360: :D

leading the industry again

Wii shouldnt be considered a game system IMO, its more of a interactive toy.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Fenderputty said:
I didn't. The recession is killing people. Sony should have known they were going to get killed with their cheapest machine going for 399 bucks. Look the the 360's #'s after that Black Friday deal. In a sagging economy, people are naturally going to rush to the cheaper of their solutions for Christmas gifts. That isn't to say that each machine isn't great, just that people are going to go for the cheaper of the great options.

Cheapest is $299 right? Either way you're right. The $199.00 price drop on the 360 arcade was an extremely savvy move by MS. If they cut the price on the 20 gig hard drive to $49.99 or less then thats pretty smart. Sony has needed to get their shit together to offer a more compelling PS3 package even before the recession but I think the only way they will is when its too late. If I'm Sony, I'm getting a BC 20gig PS3 at 199 out the door today!

Top Bottom