• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
_dementia said:
Amazon's North American HRAP shipments have been delayed until February.

...which is pretty good news for Madcatz

For both sticks? I always thought the 360 one was coming out early February and the PS3 one was coming out later this month? Just looking at the release dates and they appear to be the same unless im missing something here.

haunts said:
For both sticks? I always thought the 360 one was coming out early February and the PS3 one was coming out later this month? Just looking at the release dates and they appear to be the same unless im missing something here.
Nah, both were scheduled for December 29th originally.

I was playing ST last night on PSN using my 'new old stock' Virtua Stick High Grade...wow, amazing stick, smooth like buttah =) Easily the best stick I've ever used at home! A nice, huge (not quite as huge as the HRAP though), bulky, heavy mass of plastic and metal with great Sanwa controls =)

A friend of mine bought two of these sticks early last year, he used one for PC/MAME and realized he didn't need the other stick...he kept that one in storage, holding it for me for the time I can take it off his hands whenever I was ready...that day finally arrived =)

Anyways, as good as it already is, I'm gonna mod it with that JLF 8-way octagonal gate and a matching bat top. I find myself doing too many diagonal moves with the stock square gate due to the crazy responsiveness of the JLF stick, hopefully the octagonal gate can help it. Also, Lizard Lick says I'd need an adapter screw to fit their bat top on a JLF stick, can anyone else confirm it?

I have a couple of joysticks I'm thinking of putting up for sale soon, such as an old Hori Fighting Stick PS (looks kinda Neo-Geo-ish, plays pretty well for a budget stick though), the original HRAP for the PS1/2, and maybe my Asciii/Agetec Dreamcast stick as well (unless I'm tempted to play MvC2 again).

I also have the Hori Fighting Stick 3 that will be the 'guest stick' and an Hori 360 DOA4 stick that I've lent to my buddy so he can play ST 'properly' on XBox Live.

All that said...with the VSHG I'm still playing like crap on PSN lol =P

haunts said:
I dunno, the HRAP EX has been listed as February for as long as I can remember now so not sure what the deal is there.
Some users in this thread waiting on their orders through Arcadeshock were going to cancel and order through Amazon because they were coming in December.
Are you sure you weren't thinking about the Madcatz sticks? Those were always February.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Hmmm.. I remember having a conversation with akuma001 over a week ago about the HRAP EX coming out in Feb and the PS3 one coming out in December. I dunno, not a big deal I just didnt think it was anything new.

Glix

Arcade Shock just sent out an email saying the sticks will be in for sure, the first week of Jan, and then will be sent out to the peeps who have pre ordered.

HRAP EX's and 3's

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I want to get a 360 stick when SF4 comes and I'd like to know what makes the $150 SF4 stick superior to the $80 one and if it is worth the extra cash if I am not overly hardcore. I'd use the stick for SF4, HD Remix and KOF 12. The last stick I owned was the Agetec Dreamcast stick a long time ago so I am pretty ignorant as to what makes a quality arcade stick.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Preview:

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/arcade-stick-ranking/

Not 100% done. I'm putting together a grid/chart that shows which parts are used, PCB info, and build info.

Not many changes will be made ranking wise, but if anyone has any opinions/arguments they'd like to bring up, I would like to hear it. And no, this post is not for me to spill out reasoning/info on why I think the SF4 sticks are ranked so high -_-

Also, I don't know where I should put MAS sticks... There are so many different types/builds. But I do agree a Happ MAS is equivalent to that of a HAPP anniversary stick. Not to mention the deteriorating quality of parts used for those sticks over the years... -_- ... Oh well. I'll probably put the MAS at A or A+. Cuz I don't know if anyone is old enough to remember way back... there WERE definite issues...

---

For people who are lazy to click:

SDTEKKEN.COM said:
I’m going to tier the recent sticks that are available(or coming out soon) for PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii… Also included are long time contenders such as the Namco arcade stick and Dreamcast Agetec stick. This listing is just based on my knowledge/experience and opinion. The ranking is based on:

* Quality
* Parts Used
* How easy it is to modify
* Performance
* Features

Customs do not qualify in this ranking. Please note that pricing is not taken into consideration in this list. Why? Quality is the more important issue here.
RANK - SS

* Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition (PS3, 360) *

RANK - S

* Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SA (PS2)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 SA (PS3) *
* Hori Real Arcade Pro SA (PS2)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro SE (PS2)
* Nubytech Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Arcade Stick - Happ Edition (PS2/Xbox)

RANK - A+

* SEGA Virtua Stick High Grade (PS3)

RANK - A

* Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 (PS2)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro Ver. A (PS2)

RANK - A-

* Hori Real Arcade Pro EX (360)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro Amazon Japan (PS2)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 (PS3)
* Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 Amazon.co.jp Edition (PS3)
* Hori Street Fighter IV Arcade Stick (PS3; Same as Hori Real Arcade Pro 3) *
* Hori Real Arcade Pro Ver. B (PS2)

RANK - B+

* Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick (PS3, 360) *
* Nubytech Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Arcade Stick (PS2/Xbox)
* Hori Tekken 5 Real Arcade Pro (PS2; Japan only)
* Hori Soul Calibur II Real Arcade Pro (PS2)
* Hori Namco Arcade Stick (PS1)
* Agetec Dreamcast Arcade Stick (DC)

RANK - B

* Hori Fighting Stick EX2 (360)
* Hori Dead or Alive 4 Arcade Stick (360; Same as Hori Fighting Stick EX2)
* Hori Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arcade Stick (360; Same as Hori Fighting Stick EX2)
* Hori Soulcalibur IV Arcade Stick (360; Same as Hori Fighting Stick EX2)
* Hori Street Fighter IV Arcade Stick (360; Same as Hori Fighting Stick EX2)
* Hori Fighting Stick Wii (Wii)
* Hori Tekken 5 Anniversary Arcade Stick (PS2)

RANK - C

* Hori Fighting Stick 3 (PS3)
* Hori Soulcalibur IV Arcade Stick (PS3; Same as Hori Fighting Stick 3)
* Saulabi 4K Arcade Stick (PS3)
* Exar Tatsunoko vs Capcom Fighting Stick (Wii)
* Exar Neo Geo Arcade Fighting Stick (Wii)

RANK - D

* Elecom Arcade Fighting Stick (PS3)
* Mayflash Arcade Fighting Stick (PS3; Same as Elecom Arcade Fighting Stick)

* - Not yet released.
If anyone has any other arcade sticks that you think should be added, let me know. Again this is just from my experience. And I’ve used them ALL… lol.

"Holy crapola. I wasn't expecting that rank for the Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition Fight-Stick."

Looking at the rankings, sticks with all sanwa/happ/seimitsu are all A+ at a minimum. I'm guessing the only reason the High Grade didn't get S is because it supposedly has input problems with certain games and I've read some complain about the stick/button distance. The Tournament Edition is all Sanwa and apparently still has some features we haven't heard about yet, so...

(Where does X-arcade rank? Just curious.)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Teknopathetic said:
(Where does X-arcade rank? Just curious.)

I haven't decided yet. There are at least 5 versions of the X-Arcade. They used to make a Happ version, but that was so long ago.

Yes Boss!

MarkMan,

Dying to get one of the Tournament sticks! As if SFIV wasn't an event already the stick is just gonna make the game's release sublime. Awesome that US finally gets something special.

Where would the Otomedius stick fall? I just use it for my shmups but it definitely feels better than my HRAP 3.

Momar

aka Ryder
Hmm... I'm torn :( HRAP3 or HRAP Ex? I'm playing SF2 HDR on PSN right now and not liking the constant lag online, and I'm hearing XBL is better in that regard. At the same time, should I ever want to not use an arcade stick, if I go for a 360 stick, I'm stuck with a dpad from hell.

What do you think GAF? I'm leaning towards just going for the HRAP3. It's cheaper, anyway :)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yes Boss! said:
MarkMan,

Dying to get one of the Tournament sticks! As if SFIV wasn't an event already the stick is just gonna make the game's release sublime. Awesome that US finally gets something special.

Where would the Otomedius stick fall? I just use it for my shmups but it definitely feels better than my HRAP 3.

Hi again, I made the ranking with fighting games in mind... and while the Otomedius stick definitely has quality build/parts. I don't think it would be fair to list it in there as that stick was specifically made for use with Otomedius G. Not to say you can't use it with other games, but games that require more buttons, it would not work out too well.

I'm not going to add it, but if I were to. It would be where the HRAP3 is. A- !

ZeMMiK

416WQGG2oeL._SS500_.jpg

D pad looks nice.

Ryder said:
Hmm... I'm torn :( HRAP3 or HRAP Ex? I'm playing SF2 HDR on PSN right now and not liking the constant lag online, and I'm hearing XBL is better in that regard. At the same time, should I ever want to not use an arcade stick, if I go for a 360 stick, I'm stuck with a dpad from hell.

What do you think GAF? I'm leaning towards just going for the HRAP3. It's cheaper, anyway :)
HRAP3.

Worse case scenario, you can mod it for both consoles.

ZeMMiK said:
D pad looks nice.

_dementia said:
HRAP3.

I wonder if a HRAP3SA is moddable for both? How would you go about modding a HRAP3 like that?

Also, you've got to admit, that D-PAD does look a whole lot better than the defaults.

Momar

aka Ryder
_dementia said:
HRAP3.

Sounds good, thanks for making my life $30 cheaper :)

Any links/info on modding it, btw? I know my way around a circuit board, so it shouldn't be too much trouble, but some info would be nice :D

edit: As far as modding an HRAP3 goes, I'm thinking I'd like to do the following 3 things:

a.) changing out the buttons (if they actually are a problem, but I doubt I'll notice)
b.) getting a bat top
c.) square gates bug me, so putting in an octagonal gate

Whatever info you guys can provide would be a great help. I'm checking out Lizard Lick's website right now, getting a bit lost though ><

Linkhero1

I'm a noob when it comes to playing at the arcades but today was the first time I played SFIV and I loved playing it with the arcade stick. I was wondering if the SFIV Arcade Sticks coming out around SFIV would be similar?

thanks

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Linkhero1 said:
I'm a noob when it comes to playing at the arcades but today was the first time I played SFIV and I loved playing it with the arcade stick. I was wondering if the SFIV Arcade Sticks coming out around SFIV would be similar?

thanks

Depends on what kind of arcade stick was installed in the SF4 machine you played on!

The SFIV arcade sticks are closest to the official SF4 arcade machine.

Guymelef

Ryder said:
Sounds good, thanks for making my life $30 cheaper :)

Any links/info on modding it, btw? I know my way around a circuit board, so it shouldn't be too much trouble, but some info would be nice :D

edit: As far as modding an HRAP3 goes, I'm thinking I'd like to do the following 3 things:

a.) changing out the buttons (if they actually are a problem, but I doubt I'll notice)
b.) getting a bat top
c.) square gates bug me, so putting in an octagonal gate

Whatever info you guys can provide would be a great help. I'm checking out Lizard Lick's website right now, getting a bit lost though ><

a) Any Seimitsu or Sanwa 30mm works perfectly, Snap-in is more easy to change.
Seimitsu PS-14-KN or Sanwa OBSF-30.
Seimitsu PS-14-D for Select/Start.

b) Sanwa LB-30-N

c)Sanwa GT-Y.

Linkhero1

MarkMan said:
Depends on what kind of arcade stick was installed in the SF4 machine you played on!

The SFIV arcade sticks are closest to the official SF4 arcade machine.
I'm not sure what it was, but it was the one at San Francisco State University. Maybe someone else might know.

Momar

aka Ryder
Guymelef said:
a) Any Seimitsu or Sanwa 30mm works perfectly, Snap-in is more easy to change.
Seimitsu PS-14-KN or Sanwa OBSF-30.
Seimitsu PS-14-D for Select/Start.

b) Sanwa LB-30-N

c)Sanwa GT-Y.

You are a god, thank you!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Linkhero1 said:
I'm not sure what it was, but it was the one at San Francisco State University. Maybe someone else might know.

Those are perfect 360s, so the SFIV MadCatz sticks are more like the stick in the Tekken 6 machine right next to it.

Linkhero1

haunts said:
Those are perfect 360s, so the SFIV MadCatz sticks are more like the stick in the Tekken 6 machine right next to it.
Hmm. The Tekken ones were ok but I had problems dashing with them. Is there anyway I can find similar sticks and mod any arcade stick for the 360? If not I'll just stick with the official SFIV ones.

Momar

aka Ryder
May have been answered already, but are the new SF4 tournament sticks PC-compatible? I know they're USB, but just wasn't sure.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Ryder said:
May have been answered already, but are the new SF4 tournament sticks PC-compatible? I know they're USB, but just wasn't sure.

The PS3 one should be plug & play. The Xbox 360 one will need the official Microsoft controller driver installed.

Momar

aka Ryder
Burai said:
The PS3 one should be plug & play. The Xbox 360 one will need the official Microsoft controller driver installed.

Good thing I'm going PS3 then. Do you know if this applies to both the tournament stick and the cheaper one? I'm still a bit iffy between those two. While I definitely think it's worth $150 for a quality stick, I'm not sure I'm good enough to really notice the difference, since I've never really used a high end stick before (best I had was a T5 ps2 stick).

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Linkhero1 said:
Hmm. The Tekken ones were ok but I had problems dashing with them. Is there anyway I can find similar sticks and mod any arcade stick for the 360? If not I'll just stick with the official SFIV ones.

Hmm yeah I am not sure. I had a perfect 360 stick at one time but it was built by a friend from the ground up. It was basically a wooden box with a joystick in it. :D

Other than that Ive always preferred japanese sticks.

Ryder said:
yeah they're PC compatible

M.M., maybe a mod should edit the title for you

"NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread - (Yes SF4 Sticks are PC-compatible)"

leehom

Anyone know if Lizard Lick provide order confirmation/tracking? Been twiddling my thumbs waiting for a day now. I'm not expecting Newegg type of service, but I don't want my tracking/order confirmation by the time the product is at my door.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
We had the Mad Catz visit our christmas party with their prototype SFIV licensed arcade controllers and 6 button pads and I've got to say, they were pretty awesome. The sticks worked great with SFIV. Very sturdy. Reminded of the old VF controller I had for Saturn.

The SFIV pads remind me of the old Saturn 6 button pads.

jetjevons said:
We had the Mad Catz visit our christmas party with their prototype SFIV licensed arcade controllers and 6 button pads and I've got to say, they were pretty awesome. The sticks worked great with SFIV. Very sturdy. Reminded of the old VF controller I had for Saturn.

nice! so do you recommend them to Saturn pad lovers?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
FoxSpirit said:
Hey MarkMan, what makes the SF4 stick god tier compared to, let's say, the HRAP2 SA?

I -personally- prefer the button layout on the MadCats SFIV stick compared to the HORIs. Also he is basing the review on ease of being able to mod each stick so I think that has something to do with it as well.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
jetjevons said:

Glad you enjoyed using them! What did you like specifically about each one?

haunts said:
I -personally- prefer the button layout on the MadCats SFIV stick compared to the HORIs. Also he is basing the review on ease of being able to mod each stick so I think that has something to do with it as well.

Word!

I also base the review/ranking on my OVERALL opinion on the stick.... !

---

oh yea you can preorder the SFIV TE stick at Lizard Lick now!

http://www.lizardlick.com/pages/madcatz.shtml

Also!

Markman, I have a question about the SF4 pads that I don't think has been asked ITT.

How well do you think they would work for retro games? Stuff like Pac-Man CE, shmups, N+ and other 2D games?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just ordered the SF4 Official Tournament Uberness Blah Blah Blah stick, on the condition that I can tie Markman to some railroad tracks if it sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom