• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Tales of Hearts thread

Firestorm

So it's like the Sands of Kogorh in Tales of Vesperia? When you hit the border you're given the option to just travel like you're on the world map or go into the dungeon. The first time you're forced to play through it like a dungeon.

duckroll

Firestorm said:
So it's like the Sands of Kogorh in Tales of Vesperia? When you hit the border you're given the option to just travel like you're on the world map or go into the dungeon. The first time you're forced to play through it like a dungeon.

Yeah I think that's a good way to put it. It should be like that, except the entire game will be filled with these transitional dungeons on the field. The world map in ToH looks rather small, so they're probably trying to get the most bang for their buck in terms of content for the player without having to make a huge world map which the DS might not be able to handle? Who knows.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
john tv said:
You really didn't miss that much, honestly. Innocence reminds me a lot of Legendia -- pretty exterior, shallow interior. IMO.
Maybe Namco has just been protecting us from ourselves :lol

Proven

I'm curious as to what the hell sort of multiplayer option they put in. I saw the OP say 1 player, but then multiplayer for some side thing, but that side thing wasn't explained afterward.

Edit: Ah, I see it now. I started skimming the sections right about it.

duckroll

Proven said:
I'm curious as to what the hell sort of multiplayer option they put in. I saw the OP say 1 player, but then multiplayer for some side thing, but that side thing wasn't explained afterward.

The multiplayer component is in the Spir Mazes. They're optional mazes that you can enter when you encounter certain NPCs. Their hopes, desires and mind creates a dungeon within their soul, and within these dungeons you can find rare items and what not. It's both a sidequest element and a multiplayer dungeon crawling element I suppose. No online, so I don't really care. :(

Rpgmonkey

Site update. More videos.

Support attacks and more skits.

Proven said:
Actually, if it's going to be a dungeon, how does battling and encounters work out?

The Spir Mazes? They're similar to normal dungeons in that regard. There are enemies around and you start a fight when you touch them.

Manaka

BluWacky said:
KUREEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

It had to be said. Also - peach pie is the cure for racism.

Although Rebirth is probably my favourite Tales game, it sure does have a stupid script...

Yeah- this was the first time I really didn't care about the story/characters being bad because its battle system was brilliant.

I imagine with the CG version we'll see an almost immediate Tempest-like price drop and then poor people like me will have to import that one :lol

Manaka said:
Yeah- this was the first time I really didn't care about the story/characters being bad because its battle system was brilliant.
I thought the skits were cool, and I liked characters like Tytree, Mao and Annie, but yeah the plot was lololololol bad in ToR.

Still my favourite Tales though. Nothing will probably match the fine tuned balance of its battle system and the three line system is genius (it was one of the better things about Tempest infact, lulz).

duckroll

I hate to nitpick again, but the OP has left out that the CG Opening is also on the preorder bonus disc for the CG Edition of the game. Also, doesn't it sound better to call it "Design Material Collection" rather than "Collection of Setup Data?" :/

Rpgmonkey

duckroll said:
I hate to nitpick again, but the OP has left out that the CG Opening is also on the preorder bonus disc for the CG Edition of the game. Also, doesn't it sound better to call it "Design Material Collection" rather than "Collection of Setup Data?" :/

Should've spent another day to review the thread...thanks!

*starts editing*

Proven

Rpgmonkey said:
Site update. More videos.

Support attacks and more skits.

The Spir Mazes? They're similar to normal dungeons in that regard. There are enemies around and you start a fight when you touch them.

I meant the fact that it's multiplayer with a friend. Do only one of you get to move around the map? How do you decide who controls who? Which player's stats are going to be dependent?

Rpgmonkey

Proven said:
I meant the fact that it's multiplayer with a friend. Do only one of you get to move around the map? How do you decide who controls who? Which player's stats are going to be dependent?

Oh, don't know about any of that. Maybe it's a race type thing or something and you both explore it together but in separate parties?

Don't think they elaborated on the multiplayer aspect of it much, though I could've missed it.

Link1110

Battle theme is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9HQmBEMISY

It's not the one in the battle videos, but I think ToR previews had the last dungeon battle theme, so maybe the one in the videos is later in the game as well.

Oh, and that version of Eien no Ashit ais different from the older trailers, so maybe that'll be the one in the game. I know the single came with a DVD that has the two openings on it, can anyone confirm?

kiryogi

Banned
Link1110 said:

It's not the one in the battle videos, but I think ToR previews had the last dungeon battle theme, so maybe the one in the videos is later in the game as well.

Oh, and that version of Eien no Ashit ais different from the older trailers, so maybe that'll be the one in the game. I know the single came with a DVD that has the two openings on it, can anyone confirm?

This def sounds like one of the final ones or something. I think the first battle theme is the one demonstrated in the dungeon video is probably the first one.

Rpgmonkey

Link1110 said:

If this is actually one of the battle themes in the game, it's definitely one of the better ones I've heard of the series in years imo. :p

Does sound like it'd be one of the later ones though (that or a boss song).

Hive

Banned
Llyranor said:
I like.

Anyway, did they ever fix the running animation?

the running animation is just fine~ instead of having amnesia, the writers gave the characters hemorrhoids

Azure J

Fuck, this is the first time I'm really reading up on Hearts and already I want it. Japan always gets the fun stuff. :(

The art is fucking gorgeous on the animated version.

Rpgmonkey

It appears we won't have to wait for the 18th to see the trailer for the new Tales.

Someone got the game early. Seems the video didn't give a title for the game though apparently. :/

Battle system's 3D as well it seems.

698090.jpg

Rpgmonkey said:
It appears we won't have to wait for the 18th to see the trailer for the new Tales.

Someone got the game early. Seems the video didn't give a title for the game though apparently. :/

698090.jpg
:0
Link?

Rpgmonkey said:
It's from 2ch (Japanese message board).

This is the only pic that was given (so far), besides some pics the person took of ToH (mostly the box/manual).
ok :) HYPE UP :) Look like TOS:DONW(high speed combat) mix with TOV(balance and not too easy) ........... good?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The newest TV CM's only mention the cg part at the end in like small text with a little box. It's pretty clear they aren't happy with the results of it, lol.

Rpgmonkey said:

698090.jpg
Hmm, I want to know more, more, MORE! :D
Link1110 said:

Wow, sounds great :O Sakuraba's back at his best :D

JaMarco

Rpgmonkey said:

698090.jpg
no circle shadows :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ugh, that battle theme is horrible.

Sakuraba is pretty hit and miss with his music. It's either awesome or shit, unfortunatley this falls into the latter.

There is some cool in it but there's just too much going on in the song, scale off a few layers of instruments and it could probably be good.

Edit: :lol Actually listening to it in stereo makes it sound better :lol :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Rpgmonkey said:

I'm guessing it's the Nintendo October trailer then. Maybe they'll really unveil it next week..

john tv

The soundtrack for TOH was pretty forgettable to be honest. Don't expect too much. :p

That said, I liked TOV's soundtrack for the most part, and it seems like many of you didn't?

kiryogi said:
Oh, and a fun note I ran by last night discussing with Duckroll. Apparently the assistant producer is Kutaragi's son.
Hayato Kutaragi? The only other Kutaragi on MobyGames, and his one credit is for a Namco Bandai game; albeit in the "Promotion" section rather than as a producer.

Rpgmonkey said:

698090.jpg

WOW!!!

I'm really getting a Vesperia vibe here! :D

And no circle shadows! I'm sure it runs in 60 frames in battle at least as that's a Tales tradition isn't it?

Rpgmonkey said:

698090.jpg

Ohh.....MOAR PLZ:D
not to go off topic, but looking at that Wii screen it really looks like Alfa System is developing it.

Is this a good or a bad thing?

Firestorm

Well that's just great. On my phone and won't have access to my computer for 10 more hours. Someone YouTube. I can stream that on here at least.

Top Bottom