• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rendition said:
Is the $80 SF IV Fightstick that much better than the $60 Hori Soul Calibur stick I can buy from Amazon today?
Supposedly.

Markman claimed they utilize quick disconnects. Meaning modding for real arcade parts is much easier than the SC4 sticks.

robot

Preordered the SF4 deluxe stick. I've wanted a quality stick for awhile now but don't have the patience to mod one. The Hori stick is nice but it's tough going back to after a few rounds on the Seimitsus' in my cab.

Also snagged a controller. Hope those are good too, I've yet to use a decent fighting pad since the Japanese Saturn one.

Draft said:
Is there any decent arcade stick that works on both the Xbox and the PS3?
no, and there never will be.

your best bet is to buy a 360 or PS3 stick and get it modded for dual compatibility. you can DIY it if you're soldering-inclined.

I bought a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 (PS3) stick and had a poster at shoruyken.net add a 360 PCB inside it. it has a nice toggle switch to go between the 2 PCBs. works perfectly.

I'd be glad to refer you if you like. PM me.

but again, that's the only way. It is expected that for those that want a TE stick that works on both, the best approach is to pre-order a 360 TE stick, as going from 360 to PS3 is easier.

Dreams-Visions said:
the best approach is to pre-order a 360 TE stick, as going from 360 to PS3 is easier.
Only if the 360 pcb is common ground - but yeah, it's madcatz so it probably is!

but buying an HRAP EX with intend to daul mod would be counterproductive for example, because the 360 PCB in there isn't common ground and you'd have to get a whole new one. HRAP3 would be a better starting point.

Rendition

What's the big difference between the $80 and the $150 Street Fighter IV arcade sticks? Will there be a difference in giving a player an advantage during games?

Linkhero1

Rendition said:
What's the big difference between the $80 and the $150 Street Fighter IV arcade sticks? Will there be a difference in giving a player an advantage during games?
I'm guessing the parts they used in each build. Does it matter if I get the $80 one over the $150? I'm pretty much an arcade stick noob.

CPS2

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that besides MarkMan at this point, but I think I remember him saying that on the stock SFIV stick, you can still swap the buttons over easily. Not sure about the stick itself.

PSGames said:
Are there any wireless 360 arcade sticks out there? If so what's the best one?
The only wireless peripherals on 360 are rock band and guitar hero controllers

i don't think there will be any wireless retail sticks because of the hefty MS licensing fee and the undesired input lag that goes with wireless devices

some people choose to hack their existing wireless controllers into sticks though.

robot

Linkhero1 said:
I'm guessing the parts they used in each build. Does it matter if I get the $80 one over the $150? I'm pretty much an arcade stick noob.

From what I've read (on here) it's authentic arcade buttons/stick (sanwa) for the Tournament Edition versus average buttons/stick in the Regular Edition. If you're just getting into sticks and don't want to dump a ton of money into something you're not sure of, I'm thinking the regular stick would do just fine. I own the Hori 360 stick and am banking on the Tournament Stick being a nice upgrade. Not to discredit the Hori Stick though, I use it all the time.

Draft said:
Is there any decent arcade stick that works on both the Xbox and the PS3?

I can't believe everyone is saying no...

Arcade in a box

They have ones that work for 360/PS3. They aren't cheap, but they do exist.

Edit: Fair enough, Teknopathetic, I just thought I should mention that in case Draft wasn't aware of that option. I wouldn't be without this thread. Also, I always thought your name was Teknopathic until I just looked to make sure I spelled it correctly.

"They have ones that work for 360/PS3. They aren't cheap, but they do exist."

I think most people were assuming non-custom sticks. If you wanna go the non-custom route, there's tons of options, including Arcade-in-a-box.

mm04

Teknopathetic said:
"They have ones that work for 360/PS3. They aren't cheap, but they do exist."

I think most people were assuming non-custom sticks. If you wanna go the non-custom route, there's tons of options, including Arcade-in-a-box.

Yep, I'm thinking of throwing down $450+ for a pair. My brother still has a custom double stick setup that we bought for $250 from a local shop just for SNES SF2 and it was worth every penny. The great thing is learning with that on the SNES translated perfectly to the arcade. Back then I was a broke college student, now I have just a little more money to spend so I can stomach the cost.

Linkhero1

robot said:
From what I've read (on here) it's authentic arcade buttons/stick (sanwa) for the Tournament Edition versus average buttons/stick in the Regular Edition. If you're just getting into sticks and don't want to dump a ton of money into something you're not sure of, I'm thinking the regular stick would do just fine. I own the Hori 360 stick and am banking on the Tournament Stick being a nice upgrade. Not to discredit the Hori Stick though, I use it all the time.
Thanks for the input. I'll consider what you've told me when I decide to make my purchase.

Momar

aka Ryder
Any GAF impressions of Arcade-in-a-Box?

Man, I really can't make up my mind anymore :lol Since I've decided to lay down some cash for a decent stick, and I'm gonna be patient, I've ruled out the HRAP for now. So it's either: PS3 or 360 SF4 TE stick OR an Arcade-in-a-box for both.

KdoubleA

Ryder said:
Any GAF impressions of Arcade-in-a-Box?

Man, I really can't make up my mind anymore :lol Since I've decided to lay down some cash for a decent stick, and I'm gonna be patient, I've ruled out the HRAP for now. So it's either: PS3 or 360 SF4 TE stick OR an Arcade-in-a-box for both.

It's fantastic and really well built...Only downside is that it was really expensive (it's PS3/360 compatible). Here's the post I made a while ago...excuse my shitty cam quality; it looks amazing in reality:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13711189&postcount=1491

Momar

aka Ryder
KdoubleA said:
It's fantastic and really well built...Only downside is that it was really expensive (it's PS3/360 compatible). Here's the post I made a while ago...excuse my shitty cam quality; it looks amazing in reality:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13711189&postcount=1491

Honestly, at this point, price is no longer a problem. I freaking want an arcade stick already!

Few questions:

1.) How long did it take to arrive? Their site says it's taking up to 6 weeks to fulfill orders :[

2.) Resolution of the image to submit, any specifics?

3.) How does it stack up to other sticks on the market (HRAPs, etc.)? Maybe MarkMan can chime in on how they compare to the SF4 sticks? :]

4.) Should I go Slim or no?

I'd normally assume more expensive => better product, but X-Arcade sorta negates that proposition, so I'd like to be super sure going in.

KdoubleA

Ryder said:
Honestly, at this point, price is no longer a problem. I freaking want an arcade stick already!

Few questions:

1.) How long did it take to arrive? Their site says it's taking up to 6 weeks to fulfill orders :[

2.) Resolution of the image to submit, any specifics?

3.) How does it stack up to other sticks on the market (HRAPs, etc.)? Maybe MarkMan can chime in on how they compare to the SF4 sticks? :]

4.) Should I go Slim or no?

I'd normally assume more expensive => better product, but X-Arcade sorta negates that proposition, so I'd like to be super sure going in.

Answers:

1) It took about 7 weeks because AIAB were experiencing delays with orders on parts (it usually takes 2-4 weeks max but I think it's their busiest time now).

2) Dunno about the images since I used one of their custom artwork but they have really great customer service so if you have any inquiries you can simply email them or call them...they reply really quick and are very friendly.

3) Haven't tried the HRAP but I have tried the VSHG, and that's usually considered better...The AIAB stick I found more comfortable than the VSHG (but that is still a great stick). I also have a Hori EX2 for 360 and ofcourse, the AIAB stick is a lot better.

4) I chose the True Arcade not the slim because I use a table and I don't like my stick to move at all while playing...However, I did try it on my lap and it's not that large, so it's possible to play it on your lap but not a good choice lol...Anyway, here's IGN's review of the slim version:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/909/909396p1.html

Ryu1999

Draft said:
What's a TE stick?

And what did you pay for the solder job, if you don't mind me asking?

Per Markman's recommendation, (and because no one else had any idea how to do it), I sent mine to akuma001. He charged me 100 total. 30 bucks for the 360 PCB + 50 for labor + 20 shipping since we're on opposite coasts. It may seem like a lot, but I'm trying to save space by going the one-stick route, and 100 bucks wasn't going to get me a standalone 360 stick anyways

Cmagus

I am currently at home and do not have my Hori Xbox 360 arcade stick on me but does someone know the measurements or the faceplate area, Id like to make a custom one or is there a template for it floating around somewhere?

Momar

aka Ryder
KdoubleA said:
Answers:

1) It took about 7 weeks because AIAB were experiencing delays with orders on parts (it usually takes 2-4 weeks max but I think it's their busiest time now).

2) Dunno about the images since I used one of their custom artwork but they have really great customer service so if you have any inquiries you can simply email them or call them...they reply really quick and are very friendly.

3) Haven't tried the HRAP but I have tried the VSHG, and that's usually considered better...The AIAB stick I found more comfortable than the VSHG (but that is still a great stick). I also have a Hori EX2 for 360 and ofcourse, the AIAB stick is a lot better.

4) I chose the True Arcade not the slim because I use a table and I don't like my stick to move at all while playing...However, I did try it on my lap and it's not that large, so it's possible to play it on your lap but not a good choice lol...Anyway, here's IGN's review of the slim version:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/909/909396p1.html

Thanks for the info man, much appreciated! I'd really like to see how this thing compares to the HRAP3, though :( Anyone else on GAF have an idea? Also, MarkMan, how does it stack up to the SF sticks?

514MjrpK%2BHL._SS400_.jpg

So guess the HRAP3 is coming to the states the end of the month!?

I'm wanting to jump into the genre with the right tools and I am indeed a noob with only minimal SFII experience ...is this the recommended tool of choice at this point? I'd rather have an all purpose stick rather than wait for the SFIV dropping in Feb.

Is it wireless?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
AgentOtaku said:

I'm wanting to jump into the genre with the right tools and I am indeed a noob with only minimal SFII experience ...is this the recommended tool of choice at this point? I'd rather have an all purpose stick rather than wait for the SFIV dropping in Feb.

Is it wireless?

Read my review here: (old review though)...

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/ps3-hrap3/hori-real-arcade-pro-3-review/

Also, the SFIV stick is as much all purpose as the HRAP3 is... ;)

Not wireless.

Currently there are no wireless PS3 arcade sticks.

AgentOtaku said:

I'm wanting to jump into the genre with the right tools and I am indeed a noob with only minimal SFII experience ...is this the recommended tool of choice at this point?
Yes, it's a fine alternative if you don't want to go all out with the TE stick. HRAP3 uses the JLF lever from japanese arcade cabs, but the buttons are lower quality Hori clone parts. If at a later point you wish to swap them out for real arcade buttons, you can. It's easy and takes about 10 mins.

AgentOtaku said:
Is it wireless?
no

4 months ago, I started out on a journey to rectify the clear and obvious need I found in Soul Calibur IV: an inability to pull off serious moves with precision. It was a simple issue of the imperfections inherent to a controller. Buttons are small and hard to push combos of easily. DPads are questionable...particularly on the 360. So I decided I needed an arcade stick and began researching them. One thing lead to another and I found myself searching for a PS3/360 arcade stick (or one that could be made to work with both). I found some people who could create what I needed...and now it's here. All tricked out and ready for the world to see.

How it came, straight from Japan:

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

HRAP 3, fresh out of the box and sitting next to my (now deceased) Hori DOA4 fighting stick:

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

Needless to say, it absolutely dwarfs the DOA4 stick. It's also noticeably heavier and sturdier.

Insides:

hrap3addualguts.jpg

hrap3aedualguts.jpg

close-up of the 360 controller PCB. all his work was done very well upon close inspection and hot-glued down to make sure it lasts:

a7.jpg

Mode switch installed (inside is PS3/PC, outside is for 360)

a8.jpg

...and I also ordered some better buttons (Semietsu), an octogonal restrictor and a bat top from a different store in Japan. those came today and I finished the work. final stick results are below:

a9.jpg

a10.jpg

a11.jpg

Stick impressions: The stick is excellent. A huge leap up from the loose, imprecise stick found in the DOA4 stick (and similar HORI sticks under $60). I did the "Ultimate JLF Mod" (youtube it), and it made it even more responsive and tight, which is a wonderful thing indeed.

Button impressions: The buttons the HRAP3 comes with are servicable and fine for beginners, I think. But for those that want to get a bit more precision, consistency and strength in their game will want to upgrade to Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons. They will make a noticeable difference and are available from a couple of good online stores. I love my new Semietsu buttons and wouldn't trade them for anything. They get the job done.

360/PS3 switch impressions: Operates as advertised. Simple as flipping the switch to go from 360 mode to PS3 mode...or visa versa.

Compatibility testing: Works flawlessly on SC4 (PS3), TekkenR (PS3), Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PC), Capcom vs SNK 2 (PC), DoA4 (360), Street Fighter 2:HF (360), Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix (360), everything GGPO allows you to play (PC), Xbox 360 menus and PS3 menus. No complaints or issues to speak of. Home button doubles as the guide button when the switch is flipped. All works as expected. Flawless victory.

Size impressions: Looks large to the eye. Perhaps it just IS large. It stands 3" tall at its highest (in the back) and 2.75" in the front. Maybe 15.5" wide in the back and ~14.8" in the front. But it doesn't feel cumbersome in your lap, so it's cool with me. The more space for your hands to rest and that makes it feel more comfortable, IMO.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the new stick. It puts the Hori DOA4 stick I had to shame. and that was before the new buttons. now, it's just exquisite. I couldn't have asked for an easier setup for switching between the two console.

HRAP 3 is easy to recommend to anyone if you can find one (they're tough to catch in stock) and are willing to pay the price for one ($110-$150 online, depending). The fact that it works for the 360 now means the exact same quality of stick no matter what I want to hook it up to. They're not easy to modify for 360 compatibility, but there are a few people out there who do the work for a somewhat reasonable price. All buttons have quick disconnects allowing for easy swapping, should you chose to buy some new ones. And I DO recommend subbing out the buttons for better ones.

In the end, I give this thing a 9.7/10 because of the price.

It'd be a 10/10 if it wasn't so damn expensive. lol. So if price isn't an issue for you, then this is a 10/10 stick. High build quality. Long lasting. exceptional control. For those of you who don't want to wait 2 or 3 months to get a SF4 TE stick or in your soul can't conflate "MadKatz" with "Quality" (I think the PCB would be the only point of concern, if there really is any)...the HRAP 3 is calling your name. Answer him, damn it!

If you want the information of the guy I got the HRAP 3 from...or the guy that modded the stick for me...or the guy that I bought the buttons, restrictor and bat top from, just PM me and I'll send you that information. Doing business with them was great.

The journey that started a month ago has finally been completed. I feel ready for SF4, BlazBlue, Tekken and whatever else is coming over the next few years. See you boys and girls online. :D

~Dreams

Baron

Dreams-Visions said:
ultimate JLF mod

That "Ultimate JLF mod" you refer to is nothing more than wrapping a ball of tape around the base of the actuator - that sounds horrifyingly short-lived and lo-tech for my tastes. I would never do such a thing to a perfectly good Sanwa stick. If you want a stick with a shorter throw it seems like it is a much better idea to just switch it out for a Seimitsu.

Nice stick you have there - I have the same one, PS3 only, modded with all-Sanwa white buttons. I liked the all-white aesthetic of the colors and wanted to keep it.

Also, a lot of people harp on the top panel of that HRAP3 model, saying it is vinyl covered and not as nice as some other HRAPs - I heartily disagree. I have a HRAP2 SA as well with a cooler looking top panel, but it is already scratched from only six months of use while the HRAP3 is still pristine. The metal/vinyl top panel of the HRAP3 resists scratches with a great deal more fortitude than the HRAP2 clear plasticy top.

Baron said:
That "Ultimate JLF mod" you refer to is nothing more than wrapping a ball of tape around the base of the actuator. that sounds horrifyingly short-lived and lo-tech for my tastes. I would never do such a thing to a perfectly good Sanwa stick. If you want a stick with a shorter throw it seems like it is a much better idea to just switch it out for a Seimitsu.
that's only part of it. and not the biggest part. the biggest part is the spring. I wound up using half as much tape and none of the paper to make the switches more sensitive. Major upgrade from how it is stock. if nothing else, I highly recommend the second spring.

Baron said:
that sounds horrifyingly short-lived and lo-tech for my tastes. I would never do such a thing to a perfectly good Sanwa stick. If you want a stick with a shorter throw it seems like it is a much better idea to just switch it out for a Seimitsu.

and I don't know about "short lived", as the tape isn't going anywhere, nor is the second spring. and "horrifying"? "low-taste"? what the hell does that even mean? :lol I mean, really?

really3.gif

really? rather melodramatic of you. you speak as if this is a BMW or a Rolex watch that just moonlights as a $25 stick.

Baron said:
Nice stick you have there - I have the same one, PS3 only, modded with all-Sanwa white buttons. I liked the all-white aesthetic of the colors and wanted to keep it.

Also, a lot of people harp on the top panel of that HRAP3 model, saying it is vinyl covered and not as nice as some other HRAPs - I heartily disagree. I have a HRAP2 SA as well with a cooler looking top panel, but it is already scratched from only six months of use while the HRAP3 is still pristine. The metal/vinyl top panel of the HRAP3 resists scratches with a great deal more fortitude than the HRAP2 clear plasticy top.

I agree the cover is fine. and I might try Sawna buttons one day. I just really like the look, and the feel hasn't cost me any matches that I can remember. :D

And I do recommend getting it modded if you have a 360. It's the only reason I bought it, to be honest.

Baron

Dreams-Visions said:
and I don't know about "short lived", as the tape isn't going anywhere, nor is the second spring. and "horrifying"? "low-taste"? what the hell does that even mean? :lol I mean, really?

Actually I forgot about the spring involved in that - just remembered the tape wrapping, and that struck me as a bit odd when you can just replace the stick with a more tensile one for $20 or so. Not low-taste, damn you, but low-tech - instead of just tape, why not use something a bit more permanent - a bulb of rubber or foam? It just seems that after a fair amount of use the wad of tape would get nasty.

Dreams-Visions said:
really? rather melodramatic of you. you speak as if this is a BMW or a Rolex watch that just moonlights as a $25 stick.

Well, adding shipping and new buttons it's close to $200 I've spent on one single videogame accessory in its entirety - some in the "outside" world (read: non-gamers) would argue that's a bit on the high side for such a thing. ;)

Spiderjericho said:
What tool did you use to open the HRAP? I want to replace the buttons for Sanwas and install a bat top w the little thing. I hate ball tops.
shit, I'm trying to remember...I know the base was a basic phillips head, but I think I used....oh I remember. You'll need a socket wrench for the inside.

istockphoto_3443537_socket_wrench_blue_tone.jpg

the way the HRAP is made, there screws on the top of the arcade stick face DOWN inside the stick. so in order to get the top off to get to the buttons and stick, you have to take the bottom cover off, then use a wrench to take the nuts off of the 6 screws that hold top screws to the casing. then you can just pull the screws out and open the case.

Might take about 5 minutes to do. and be careful with the top. it's made of sharp ass sheet metal. I did cut my hand pretty good just moving it off.

Baron said:
Actually I forgot about the spring involved in that - just remembered the tape wrapping, and that struck me as a bit odd when you can just replace the stick with a more tensile one for $20 or so. Not low-taste, damn you, but low-tech - instead of just tape, why not use something a bit more permanent - a bulb of rubber or foam? It just seems that after a fair amount of use the wad of tape would get nasty.

Well, adding shipping and new buttons it's close to $200 I've spent on one single videogame accessory in its entirety - some in the "outside" world (read: non-gamers) would argue that's a bit on the high side for such a thing. ;)
good enough.

Opus Angelorum said:
That is a thing of beauty, Dreams-Visions.
thanks, Opus. :D

Guymelef

I think i must take a photo inside of my HRAP 3 with PSX PCB one of this days, is the most awful mod ever (aesthetic) , works perfect.

Even has some of those.
istockphoto_2488634_pinzas_de_la_ropa.jpg

Baron

Dreams-Visions said:
You'll need a socket wrench for the inside.

the way the HRAP is made, there screws on the top of the arcade stick face DOWN inside the stick. so in order to get the top off to get to the buttons and stick, you have to take the bottom cover off, then use a wrench to take the nuts off of the 6 screws that hold top screws to the casing. then you can just pull the screws out and open the case.

I used a "socket screwdriver" instead of one of those wrenches you posted an image of. It's just like a screwdriver but you can use interchangeable sockets on the end. The bolts you need to loosen are sunken into the joystick enclosure and it seems like it would be more difficult to use one of those angled socket wrenches.

It's the screwdriver-looking thingy in this set:
34800.jpg

Dreams-Visions said:
be careful with the top. it's made of sharp ass sheet metal. I did cut my hand pretty good just moving it off.

This is very true - be careful with that metal top panel. I also sliced myself good trying to hold it.

Thanks Baron. Your approach seems a little less difficult than the wrench. When I get back to Cali, I'll order the buttons, bat top plus adaptor and give it a wirl. I have two HRAP3s just lying around not doing anything, so I'll experiment on one.

Arcade in a Box looks pretty good too, since you can have them include a competition 360, which is what I'm used to playing with in the U.S. Arcades. I don't like that you can't include copyrighted artwork for the cover.

robot

that stick is BAD ASS dv. sounds like it was worth whoevers kidney you had to sell for it.

almost tempted to investigate that route instead of the sf4 stick but it sounds time consuming going through so many channels to get it done. someone should do it for me.

Went ahead with the HRAP3 stick via Amazon ...if I so desire I'll swap out the buttons for the sanwas at a later date

Can't fooking wait! :D

...oh this is my very first arcade stick btw!
I'm 25 years old and a bit nervous =/

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Amazon says the PS3 HRAP3 is shipping on Dec. 29th? Is that right? Any other place to get it earlier? First arcade stick too :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom