• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive" (PlayStation Blog)

Amazing box cover
15774215657_dbc508b182_b.jpg

That's some nice art. Ryu arm's are fucking huge. XD
Does anyone know who did it?

Sweet cover. 'Only on PlayStation' is a lie tho. I guess they are pulling the same thing Microsoft did last gen with games that were on the 360 and PC only, claiming exclusivity.

Of course. Companies don't let little things like that get in the way of good promotion.

Mr Moose

Sweet cover. 'Only on PlayStation' is a lie tho. I guess they are pulling the same thing Microsoft did last gen with games that were on the 360 and PC only, claiming exclusivity.

Where is the image from? It's probably not the final one and just a mock-up. Or it might be a "PlayStation version only on PlayStation" thing (lol).

Trago

For a console gamer, it is "exclusive".

The platforms you play on is irrelevant. The game is on multiple platforms. It's not exclusive. We didn't call multiplatform games that were only on PS3 and 360 exclusives at all. PC is still a platform that you can play this game.

nded

Really?
I remember Gears of War constantly getting shit about its characters being roided up meat heads (despite the fact that it made sense from a design perspective since they were sliders fighting a physical war against hulking monsters).

But Ryu, who is a martial artist, is roided up to high haven to the point where his fucking forearms are probably bigger than the average Gaffers thighs and everyone is cool with it?

Ryu can jump ten feet high from a standstill, use his legs like helicopter blades and lift boulders several times his size. I would kind of expect him to be more muscular than some guys that are really good at shooting guns and hiding.

LXwhRsZ.png

MavFan619

Banned
I think they might be even more upset when they realize this extends to any Super/Ultra/Champion editions too, if Sony's funded and helped out the way they are w/ Bloodborn or MS did w/ DR3.

This is what I've been thinking of late too. There is the off-chance MS could get another SF series like Alpha/Zero or a different Capcom fighter like Cyberbots (hey, I just want another Cyberbots sequel) or Darkstalkers and have the KI team help out on it, but this SFV deal pretty much locks vanilla and other versions to PS4+PC.

The main reason I'm thinking this now is b/c if Sony approached Ono on the collab, Sony must be fronting the tech side of things and a lot of the costs. I don't think Capcom themselves have a lot of hands-on w/ this one; they've just at least given permission for use of the SF license.
KI team help on Dark Stalkers? Ewww stop.

_Ryo_

I don't think any version of this is going to Xbox.

For example, I also don't think if they created a Super Titanfall Mega-Mech Edition of Titanfall 1 that it'd come to PS4. As only as it's an upgrade to the same game, it's exclusive on PS4 I think, until Street Fighter VI. Same as Titanfall is exclusive until Titanfall 2.

gngf123

For a console gamer, it is "exclusive".

In today's market, the idea of someone adamant about only playing on one of a couple of consoles is ridiculous.

Ignoring all the benefits to PC gaming, and the fact that it isn't expensive or complicated like people think. You can connect it up to a TV and use it like a console if you wish. Hell, some modern PC's are even designed with it in mind.

And anyway, that's like saying that to a PS4 player the PS4 version of FIFA is exclusive. Of course it is. That's not the point. The platforms you arbitrarily decide to play on are irrelevant. It's on multiple platforms, that is all what counts.

Salex_

And you have evidence saying that this game was never going to be made without the help of Sony?

If so, id be happy to read it.
sf55xset.png

There's another tweet saying he didn't have the resources to port USF4 to current gen, which was true. Sony's 3rd party production team is porting it to PS4.

There isn't enough information to 100% confirm the SFV "wouldn't be made without Sony (or wouldn't come out anytime soon w/o them" right now.

Capcom's current/upcoming console/PC output it shows a common theme though. They needed MS to make Dead Rising 3, teaming up with Sony for Deep Down/Panta Rhei engine, and upcoming Resident Evil game is being split into parts. It really seems like they're struggling.

StuBurns

Banned
The tag on the cover is clearly bullshit. There's no objective argument for it being accurate. I think people just don't care particularly, and that's fine.

I can't actually imagine that tag has any impact on sales. I'd be surprised if someone would only want or not want SF5 if it's exclusive.

_Ryo_

I don't think any version of this is going to Xbox.

For example, I also don't think if Respawn created a Super Titanfall Mega-Mech Edition of Titanfall 1 that it'd come to PS4

As long as it's an upgrade to the same game, I'd assume that Street Fighter V would be exclusive on PS4.

But Street Fighter VI could be multi-platform same as Titanfall 2 could be but not any version before those sequels will be multi-platform I would assume.

joe2187

Banned
Yeah, I got a TE SFIV 360 stick, and it works great on PC. If I pick this up, it'll most definitely be on PC. Cross Platform play sealed the deal.

Yep I have the same stick with a mod for PS3 compatibility that doesn't work on PS4. I'm not ready to be bothered with trying to make a new mod or a 3rd PCB work, and without a decent converter yet, this being on PC saves me some money for now.

Based Skullgirls crew to the rescue http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/oct/22/ps3-fightsticks-will-be-compatible-skullgirls-ps4/

Hopefully the other fighting game Devs actually use this for there games.

Karuyag

Are you telling me all that money that Sony made on all those consoles they've been selling are being used to fund exclusives?!

Momentary

Banned
Really?
I remember Gears of War constantly getting shit about its characters being roided up meat heads (despite the fact that it made sense from a design perspective since they were sliders fighting a physical war against hulking monsters).

But Ryu, who is a martial artist, is roided up to high haven to the point where his fucking forearms are probably bigger than the average Gaffers thighs and everyone is cool with it?

The art style in this game is fucking ridiculous.

I'd rather him look like this than some of the spaghetti armed characters in other fighting games. But yes, He could lose a little size on the arms.... and feet.

yeah the label is incorrect but average casual joe dont care about pc and more to the point nor do retailers, some retailers ditched the physical pc release seen entirely, (I refer to highstreet here, not online webstores)

at that point, in that store, that game is only on X console as PC stuff just isnt there.

JP

I wonder if this Street Fighter deal is anything to do with why this casually happened back in October?
Eurogamer said:
The PlayStation 4 version of 2D fighting game Skullgirls Encore will support PlayStation 3 fight sticks, developer Lab Zero Games has revealed.

The studio created a custom USB driver that means any stick that reads as a generic USB gamepad or joystick will work with the PS4 version of the game - and it's making the driver available to other developers free of charge.

It seems Sony has given Lab Zero Games' work its blessing: the driver will be tested at an upcoming official PlayStation event in December. In fact Naughty Dog programmer John "Cowboy" Bellomy wrote the driver in his spare time.

Skullgirls on PS4 supports some PS3 fight sticks - Eurogamer

StuBurns

Banned
You should. It's always been a marketing term for the simple-minded. It's like saying Titanfall is exclusive. No the fuck it isn't. Unless my PC is a Playstation, the game isn't exclusive and the label needs to be more specific.
I was surprised to see the SF5 trailer change the tag at PSX. Why remove the reference to PC? Especially when you're going to let Tim talk about PC, Mac, Linux SKUs of his games.

Based Skullgirls crew to the rescue http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/oct/22/ps3-fightsticks-will-be-compatible-skullgirls-ps4/

Hopefully the other fighting game Devs actually use this for there games.
Fuck yea! But I worry that if the big fighting games wanted backwards compatibility with the PS3 sticks, they would have done something like this already. My assumption has been that they have some sort of agreement with hardware manufacturers like Madcatz to make sure console owners have to buy a new stick every gen by conveniently leaving out the code/drivers necessary to make our older sticks work. It would be good business for them.
We'll see. Until then, I'll keep my eyes open for PS4 adapters. I really want to play Guilty Gear with my stick.

Skilletor

It would be extremely smart for Capcom to use lab zero's driver. Would make the move to PS4 as tourney standard quicker and easier.

sf55xset.png

There's another tweet saying he didn't have the resources to port USF4 to current gen, which was true. Sony's 3rd party production team is porting it to PS4.

There isn't enough information to 100% confirm the SFV "wouldn't be made without Sony (or wouldn't come out anytime soon w/o them" right now.

Capcom's current/upcoming console/PC output it shows a common theme though. They needed MS to make Dead Rising 3, teaming up with Sony for Deep Down/Panta Rhei engine, and upcoming Resident Evil game is being split into parts. It really seems like they're struggling.

Pretty much this is what's happening.

It would be extremely smart for Capcom to use lab zero's driver. Would make the move to PS4 as tourney standard quicker and easier.
If they're getting a cut of stick sales from Madcatz (I just sort of assumed they were; deal seems like a natural fit though not in the best interests of gamers), I can't see them doing it. If they don't have some sort of arrangement with Madcatz and Hori, then maybe we'll see it.
So If we can expect Super Street Fighter V on XBO... can we expect Bayonetta 2 GOTY Edition on Vita?
If Capcom is becoming a gun for hire, the former is infinitely more likely than the later.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I'd rather him look like this than some of the spaghetti armed characters in other fighting games. But yes, He could lose a little size on the arms.... and feet.

You might as well ask them to tone down Chun-Li's thnderthighs. It ain't gonna happen...

Hate the Ryu cover, it looks like a boxing game at first glance (I get that he's making a V). I personally prefer roster composite artwork like the old classic WW and Turbo images.

I still wonder if console exclusivity is just for the first iteration of the game, and future updates will be mutli-platform. I also think it's awesome to finally have cross-platform matchmaking in SF, this is big news to me.

I feel like we're going to be getting the best possible SFV because of the fact that it's PS4 exclusive.

As an exclusive, the developers can concentrate on taking advantage of the hardware without worry, and fortunately PS4 is already the easiest to develop for, and also the most powerful to develop for.

As PS4 owners, we don't have to worry about forced parity with the lowest common denominator that is XO, when a game is exclusive to PS4.

PS4 should be, quite simply, the home of all exclusives, where the full potential of games can be realized.
What does that last bit mean? All exclusives should only come out on Ps4? How would that work?

joe2187

Banned
If they're getting a cut of stick sales from Madcatz (I just sort of assumed they were; deal seems like a natural fit though not in the best interests of gamers), I can't see them doing it. If they don't have some sort of arrangement with Madcatz and Hori, then maybe we'll see it.

If Capcom is becoming a gun for hire, the former is infinitely more likely than the later.

Madcatz is in full support of the driver

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-23-skullgirls-on-ps4-supports-some-ps3-fight-sticks

"Lots of love to the Skullgirls team for making this happen!" he said. "I've already seen a few comments online where people mentioned that myself or Mad Catz are probably angry because we can't sell you a new $200 PS4 stick. This is so far from the truth. We are glad that you can continue to use your FightStick & hope more developers follow suit so that our products can become your weapons for more years to come. Happy gaming!"

Neoxon

Here's the thing, since AE & USF4 did well, Capcom will most likely make Super a DLC upgrade that's also available in physical form for those who missed the hype train early on. Unless Sony allows the assets they helped make to be on XB1 or Capcom has the money & resources to replace said assets, I wouldn't expect future versions to be on XB1. Plus there's cross-system online play to consider.

Rising_Hei

I'm just happy about the whole cross play thing, it's one of the things i ever wanted from games to have, but MS was preventing this from happening, imo.

Jburton

Banned
Right, but they will, and Sony/Capcom will already know if they're going to be exclusive or not.

There is no practical difference between a one year exclusivity window on a game and an eternal exclusivity on a game that will be replaced in one year.

Unless MS are going to fund the development then there is no chance, simple.

Hexa

They mentioned the PC version and cross play on stage. They were pretty clear about what console exclusive meant.

Frog-fu

Banned
So basically the same thing that happened to Tomb Raider is now happening to Street Fighter? Established multiplatform IPs secured to exclude specific platforms. Nice.

Jburton

Banned
So basically the same thing that happened to Tomb Raider is now happening to Street Fighter? Established multiplatform IPs secured to exclude specific platforms. Nice.

Try reading ffs ..... No game without Sony funding it.

It was not in development until Sony co funded

Well kinda, Sony didnt try to hide a PC version like MS did, and we arent sure if Tomb Raider is a full exclusive while this is. As for Square Enix this explains why that happened http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=927634&highlight=square+enix Though TR was still happening, unlike this so thats a key difference. Street Fighter V as it is now wouldnt exist without Sony, where as Tomb Raider would. This is closer to Dead Rising 3.

Top Bottom