• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Camjo-Z

Finally, all levels, objectives, and challenge times complete!

Except for..... THAT FINAL LEVEL... I've only gotten halfway through so far. So... easy... to slip up...

I suppose Captain Toad: Headache Tracker has that unique blend of spinning and zooming that just makes my head feel like it's spinning and zooming. ;)

Well that sucks. Just wondering, did you have the same problem with the original Captain Toad levels in 3D World, or were their simpler nature more easy to handle?

hatchx

Banned
Any ideas on what amiibo might do?

Seems like they'd need to patch it for amiibos anyhow, so maybe some of the camera concerns will be addressed - adding a mid-zoom length and ability to turn gyro off shouldnt be too hard.

Seems like they'd need to patch it for amiibos anyhow, so maybe some of the camera concerns will be addressed - adding a mid-zoom length and ability to turn gyro off shouldnt be too hard.
Another skin for Toad? Can't imagine anything substantial.

Penguin

I am expecting nothing fancy

You know those bonus chapters where you get coins?

Yeah, I see em unlocking those daily... not that you really need coins and lives in this game

MattyG

Banned

Nothing too big probably. I'm hoping it's something cool, like a themed level for each figurine (Link gives a Hyrule themed level, Samus give a Metroid themed level, etc), but that seems like I'm hoping for way too much.

hatchx

Banned
I am expecting nothing fancy

You know those bonus chapters where you get coins?

Yeah, I see em unlocking those daily... not that you really need coins and lives in this game

I was hoping they might unlock levels or something. Scan the samus amiibo and get a metroid-themed captain toad level...

Choomp

Banned
toadbird.gif

My god how lovely. Christmas can't come quicker for me.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'd be a little pissed off if substantial DLC was locked behind toys that I have no interest in buying.

Vena

I'd be a little pissed off if substantial DLC was locked behind toys that I have no interest in buying.

They did say they have plans to release cheapo card equivalents for people who don't want the toys. I wonder if/when that might happen. Easy for them to keep such things in stock in stores too.

MoosiferX

Just finished up 100%-ing the main story and started playing through the bonus stuffs. The Mummy-Me levels stress me out too much at the moment... lol

I'll save those for a rainy day.

Such a charming and satisfying game!

zlCfzSuw0ZEAlAqX6W

AdanVC

Just played the first 5 levels and I'm already in love of how charming and freaking cute this game is. Definitely looks sharper and colorful than Super Mario 3D World. Controls are good except for gyroscope wich is unfortunate that you can turn it off. Also, don't know if it was mentioned earlier on this thread but if you press the right stick the camera will snap into an ortographic view or "home" of the whole level. That should come handy when you accidentally move the camera with the gyroscope.

atbigelow

Finished episode 2 earlier. Hadn't realized there was a time for each level! I'll have to go back in.

This game is amazingly beautiful. I want to play a new Super Mario RPG with these graphics. The worlds they would make...

I hope the Amiibos add levels that represent the Series of each Amiibo,
Link = puzzle in Zelda series setting
Shulk = puzzle in Xenoblade series setting

gogojira

Picked this up tonight, fun level game so far but the viewing angles get a bit funky at times. Incredibly enjoyable still.

So I picked up my preorder for $28 after all was said and done. I'm still not sold on the game with how short it seemed to be. People who have finished or have seen most of the content. Are you satisfied?

I would usual just keep it but with all the anime deals on Rightstuf.com if I can save some money and put it towards there it would be nice.

Finally, all levels, objectives, and challenge times complete!

Except for..... THAT FINAL LEVEL... I've only gotten halfway through so far. So... easy... to slip up...

Well that sucks. Just wondering, did you have the same problem with the original Captain Toad levels in 3D World, or were their simpler nature more easy to handle?

Just finished up 100%-ing the main story and started playing through the bonus stuffs. The Mummy-Me levels stress me out too much at the moment... lol

I'll save those for a rainy day.

Such a charming and satisfying game!

zlCfzSuw0ZEAlAqX6W

Do you have an idea how long it took you?

So I picked up my preorder for $28 after all was said and done. I'm still not sold on the game with how short it seemed to be. People who have finished or have seen most of the content. Are you satisfied?
I enjoyed it despite the slow start and control issues. It is a weekend playthrough though, even for 100%.
Best to buy it on a weekend with nothing to do.

Camjo-Z

LEVEL 49 AND I GOT REKTED BY A FIRE PIRANHA JUST BEFORE THE BOX AAAAAAA

Do you have an idea how long it took you?

The Activity Log gives me a combined total of 19 hours, 42 minutes. Subtracting time I probably spent with the game paused or just sitting on the title screen while I read GAF, that's still at least a good 18 hours to 100% everything. I'm definitely satisfied with the game, tons of fun throughout.

This would make me hate the Amiibo line.
Well Amiibo is a business afterall and to make them relevant and more worthy to own and collect Nintendo needs to increase their value so investing in an Amiibo is worth it unlike some other of Nintendo's peripherals that are used once or twice.

Well Amiibo is a business afterall and to make them relevant and more worthy to own and collect Nintendo needs to increase their value so investing in an Amiibo is worth it unlike some other of Nintendo's peripherals that are used once or twice.

If Amiibo figures become easier to find, maybe I'll agree but for now, I'm not too fond of purchasing these figures in order to unlock meaningful content, like new levels. A number of these things are already tough to locate, unless you want to pay double or triple their MSRP.

If Nintendo ever goes down this path, they need to make it so any Amiibo will unlock the new stages, not gate them behind specific characters.

Anyway, back to Captain Toad. I don't want to derail this thread for others.

Joei

I want to play this game so bad. But I just got Hyrule Warriors and MK8 and am enjoying them so much. What do I do??

Is this game hard? Im gonna gamefly it over the weekend for my gf and I to play here and there since she doesnt like hard games and this seemed like a pretty relaxing and cute little game for us to play.

Vena

While I see your point, and I can see the merit of the idea from a business point of view, they've as of so far made them entirely superfluous by design. Even in their debut game they are nothing more than a glorified NPC that has a bunch of useful perks (like making them grind stuff for you) but that also serve little no actual purpose.

In Hyrule, their biggest other application, they are a single weapon that is also equally superfluous to the game (its not a different element for link, same damage potential, its just a different means of combo), or random item/drop. In MK8 its just Mii skins and, again, doesn't actually add anything to the game that wasn't there before from a gameplay perspective.

Can't see much special use coming to Toad, all above considered.

Just picked this up today along with a copy of Kingdom Hearts 2.5 at toys r us. Took advantage of their buy 1, get 1 item 40% off deal. The majority of my Wii U games are digital, but this seemed like a good deal.

Seems easy and kinda simple at first, but is overflowing with that Nintendo charm, which makes it already worth it for me.

When did Toad become so adorable? Feel like I never really thought so before. lol

Malus

This final level is a lot more daunting than Champions Road. Don't know if I can beat it. It's like the Cave of Ordeals: Longer and Harder Captain Toad Edition.

We went to play Chapters 15 and 16 this evening and I have to say we really tried to be extra-careful with not rotating, spinning or zooming too much, but we're both sitting here with absolutely awful migraines and my wife has said that she will not be able to play the game anymore. 3DW is one of our favorites ever and we were both really looking forward to this and planning to spend a lot of time over the week I'm taking off of work for Christmas playing this on our staycation, so it is a great disappointment to her to not be able to play it.

Even with getting headaches I know I will still play the game, because I get moderately bad headaches near-daily anyway, but my wife's migraines have been much better controlled (with some intensive regular treatment interventions; she gets 32 Botox injections in her head and neck from her neurologist every few months), so we do not want her to have worsened headaches again. Sigh. I don't mean to go on about this, but it really sucks. I feel like if the camera was a bit less sensitive + you could turn gyro off (although holding the GamePad steady helps this not to move by accident) + there was a mid-zoom option, all of that would help a good amount. As it is, I'm trying to think of what game will feel special for us to play together instead because she'd be so looking forward to playing this together, we both had.

As I said, I don't mean to go on about this, but it is pretty disappointing.

that sucks to hear, fingers crossed they spend 5 minutes on making on patch to give an option for switching off gyro camera.
For a game that relies on it's camera so much I'm amazed that they didn't include an option.

ryushe

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of them revealing the secret task only after you complete a level. I don't mind replaying a level, hell, I get joy in doing so, but I feel like it's a way to artificially pad the game.

That said, I am happy you don't have to collect the gems you already received.

Malus

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of them revealing the secret task only after you complete a level. I don't mind replaying a level, hell, I get joy in doing so, but I feel like it's a way to artificially pad the game.

That said, I am happy you don't have to collect the gems you already received.

I like it in the sense that it encourages you to do as much as you can within a level. I'd find myself collecting all the coins, beating as many enemies as possible, trying to find any golden mushrooms in the event that it'd be a part of a challenge. There are also challenges that change the way you play the level upon replay, like stealth missions or limited chances at tapping moving platforms.

There are a few silly ones though that don't add much, like the challenge to not break the bridge in an early book 1 level.

I remember the Galaxy games having particularly noticeable examples of padding. Like playing the whole game again as Luigi in Galaxy 1 and finding the green stars in galaxy 2. Nintendo's slowly getting better with this in Mario games I think.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

maxcriden

You know, I don't think I had this issue in the original CT levels, no. I think the camera setup was slightly different there; they were a bit more zoomed in by default but not ultra-zoomed as they are in this game, and the spinning was less sensitive.

Just played the first 5 levels and I'm already in love of how charming and freaking cute this game is. Definitely looks sharper and colorful than Super Mario 3D World. Controls are good except for gyroscope wich is unfortunate that you can turn it off. Also, don't know if it was mentioned earlier on this thread but if you press the right stick the camera will snap into an ortographic view or "home" of the whole level. That should come handy when you accidentally move the camera with the gyroscope.

That is a helpful tip, thank you! (Also, ortographic, wow, that is a good word.)

that sucks to hear, fingers crossed they spend 5 minutes on making on patch to give an option for switching off gyro camera.
For a game that relies on it's camera so much I'm amazed that they didn't include an option.

Thanks papercan! Here's hoping they do so, I think that could only be helpful.

Top Bottom