• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Amused

Pretty sure x1 will be even closer come january. The question is, will word of mouth and newfound mindshare be enough when Sony first parties start to drop?

With a continued price drop i expect it will.

Looks like ps4 and X1 might be neck in neck In the US for a long time, while PS4 continues to destroy X1 world wide. MS should be happy considering what happened the last year, Sony should be happy period. 13 months ago PS4 being on equal footing with the X1 in the US would have been considered a big win i think.

Good time to play video games :)

Why? They sold over 800 without taking a huge hit to profits. When European sales start to dip, that's when you'll see a price cut.

Yeah. I really don't get the price drop argument. While Xbone sold more PS4 still did very well and about two times more than PS3 did back in 2007. Why should they drop the price and hurt their profit margins if PS4 is still selling just fine? You drop the price when your notice that your product is selling below expectations. Not just because competition sells more.

Biker19

Banned
So we can say that the gap is closing non-sarcastically now? :)

This is a landslide victory for Microsoft and it supports the opinion that I have been maintaining for the past few months. It's all about price. The X1 wasn't suffering because of the DRM fallout or the weaker specs or the resolution stuff. It was simply more expensive. As soon as the price dropped and the machine became equal or better value than the PS4 it stopped the Playstation's momentum dead in its tracks.

You really believe that?

Even when the price was at $400, Sony kept outselling Xbox One.

Feichaw

Ok, now let's go back to more important things...

How much did Dragon Age sell? Can we have the numbers, or do we already know them?

So what's the gap now?

800k or so seems to be what most people come out with.

MS brought it down about 1/3rd. Anyone expecting the same type of thing in December?

To use MS terms 2014 was pre-season for the PS4, 2015 is when it starts to get a ton of software from the beginning of the year and throughout the year. Whereas the MS lineup is pretty barren for atleast the first half of the year.

But this time around in 2015 the PS4 will have some huge titles for the holidays like Uncharted 4 and No Mans Sky.

So the question becomes, can MS hold the momentum or is this a one shot thing.

B1HSKg0.gif

JABEE

And if you notice I never once acknowledged those number as real. I had doubts and maybe I should have called his bluff but I did not see an NPD report and didn't want to start spouting fake nonsense.

I also called out Abdiel when he was saying Playstation was outselling MS shortly after the price drop. If these insiders are gonna give info they need to message hard numbers to the mods like I typically do if I'm going to make a public statement.

Has CBOAT been banned yet?
When did he ever say he had the NPD numbers? He just said those fake results matched what he saw at the Best Buys in his area.

Did he make up his info? I'm not sure. Any of you guys could be making this shit up. You included. Regional information for one store was never supposed to represent the whole picture.

Davey Cakes

More proof that NA is pretty solid for Wii U. Much different than Japan.

Which means NINTENDO should ramp up their NA focus. Build some development teams here. Not only that but actually try to improve the Virtual Console and even things like Club Nintendo. Stop treating Japan so great when your console's success comes mostly from other regions like France and NA.

And if you notice I never once acknowledged those number as real. I had doubts and maybe I should have called his bluff but I did not see an NPD report and didn't want to start spouting fake nonsense.

I also called out Abdiel when he was saying Playstation was outselling MS shortly after the price drop. If these insiders are gonna give info they need to message hard numbers to the mods like I typically do if I'm going to make a public statement.

This comes across as rather rude and bitter. How do you go from not knowing about other stores and only speaking for your company, to practically aluding to others lying?

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;142924021 said:
Y'all are silly if you truly think the Xbox One will be able to make up for a 4 million deficit.

it's like 700k in the US now....

nah I'm sure his observations are accurate for his district, but just for his district only; had people been paying close attention they would have noticed his reports generally didn't pick up Xbox One upswings (February, August, PS4 catching up in sales rate by the 7th day of the price cut)

orochi91

MS brought it down about 1/3rd. Anyone expecting the same type of thing in December?

Definitely.

Price was the only thing holding the XB1 back.

If they can keep at the current price, then by E3 2015 they will be leading the NA market.

FrankT

If QB needs until later in the year it should get it. Halo MCC is what happens when you launch when its not ready, if it needs the extra time it needs it. MS have a lot announced on the AAA side and they have more to come. Hopefully 2016 will be a lot more spread out

I agree but I'm not a fan of going near a year without some quality retail exclusive. They have done it before and still not a fan.

Welfare

I have to say the Xbox One being in the realm of my prediction is good. It's good that it got so high.

PS4 however :/

I guess I expected a bit too much.

I think the December numbers will be a lot closer. There was probably a lot of people on the fence about XB1 that jumped in that first week when the price went down. Now that they got the people who were holding out for a good sale, they need to keep sustaining that momentum.

You going after Abdiel is disgusting.

I'm not going after anyone. He shouldn't be banned. The thing is vett your shit. I believe Abdiel is a quality poster.

That said I thought he was off base all month with what he was saying.

EDIT: Let me be clear Im not stating GO AFTER Abdiel. I think my tone was completely lost by posting on the internet

EDIT: LTD gap is 730K roughly.

Actually with such a minor increase Y/Y, Wii U shipment forecast will be harder to hit, although December still remains to be seen.

System is actually down quite a bit in Japan Y/Y.
Greenberg just tweeted a down to earth tweet.
Is such a thing even possible?

Who needs all these so-called insiders when one groovy dude called all this way back in May '13 in a thread titled "Xbox One will be Number One in Sales"... *whistles*
All of this has only coalesced for a single month since nearly a year ago though.

People seem to forget there were holiday months N64 crushed PS1 too, but that didn't mean much for sales at large.

There were even months OG Xbox outsold the PS2...still didn't mean much overall. We'll see how it all holds together six months from now.

Seriously impressive.

So MS only has a 700k gap to contend with.

Should be gone by the end of February.

Phil Spencer with that whole pre-season commentary was on the mark.

They're not going to just start winning every month once these deals end, they succeeded in holding off the gap but the gap is inevitable, it shall return, and this time, with a vengeance

Madness

Whats the world wide sales numbers looking like regarding the X1 and PS4?

Probably a few million still. Microsoft is closing the gap in NA(US/Canada), UK and Australia which last generation were heavily weighted toward X360. But Sony has locked up Japan, and most of Europe still. But like last generation, Microsoft just needs to be competitive in Europe and North America to be successful.

Loakum

Banned
GOOD! Gotta give credit where it's due! Microsoft listened to their gamer base and made a lot of positive changes! They lowered the price of the Xbox One, and put forth some amazing exclusives. Sony kept their price and put forth some very lackluster exclusives (DriveClub, Little Big Planet 3, InfamousSS, Killzone SF). This is the first time I ever took back the majority of Sony's exclusives back to gamestop after beating them once.The PS4's exclusives has been so pathetic that their best selling bundle was remaster of last year games (GTAV, The Last of Us Remaster). I'm a PS4 owner, but arrogant Sony reared it's ugly head again, so I'm glad this occurred to show them, things can turn around quite quickly.

Top Bottom