• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Amir0x

Banned
It'll be really interesting to see where hardware sales go from here. I figured early 2015 would be a runaway for Sony since the XBO lineup is rather sparse but now I'm not sure.

Depends on price after holidays, whether XBO has games packed-in at that price, how they both perform in December, and how Sony markets their game releases during the first 6 months of the year, where they could potentially put back some distance between themselves and MS depending on various strategic options from the other side.

MepH-

Neo Member
1240k and 840k actually.

From where came the 1240K and 840K actually?

using shinra angles on the pie chart and Wii U at 242K meant XB1 was 1223K and PS4 was 828K no? (though it's pretty much the same, I just don't want to save false numbers!)

thuway

I wonder how Sony will respond (will they respond?). I could see a price drop to $350 after the holidays and a 1TB SKU for $399. Although I think that a game included is more appealing than a bigger hard drive.

They need to start digitally bundling games in. Knack and Killzone aren't exactly lighting any fires these days.

Awntawn

I think The Order is going to bomb too with the way Sony is handling the PR for the game.

Sony sure makes some bizarre choices in terms of their software, as brilliant as they can otherwise sometimes be :p

Too much Destiny. Waaaaay too much Destiny.

I wonder how Sony will respond (will they respond?). I could see a price drop to $350 after the holidays and a 1TB SKU for $399. Although I think that a game included is more appealing than a bigger hard drive.

They wont do anything right now, even though they "lost" they still shifted a ton of units at 400$. They still have a 700k lead in the US. No need to do anything drastic.

PTV LTD < 39K

f7v2r.jpg

It's super effective!

Bgamer90

Banned
A bit of a stretch. A lot of people think the XB1 still can't play used games, Kinect is watching etc. Not to mention the technical performance of nearly all games being better on PS4. Oh, and XB1 has nearly no games planned for 2015 while the PS4 is starting strong with Bloodborne.

Heh, some here are going to eat crow in a few months. I understand why it's easy to say due to PSX and MS not having much exclusive wise for the first half of 2015 but this isn't true at all.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This was a pretty expected result, imho. Microsoft had a ton of factors in their favor this month with Halo, huge price drops, and bundled games. Still, while decent, a 400K increase isn't a whole lot to crow about given the circumstances. They had to pull out all their big guns for that result and they're still down LTD by nearly a million.

After the new year I suspect sales will be roughly even (or slightly in Sony's favor) if MS keeps the price drop permanent. Sony has a pretty strong 1st quarter release schedule and Microsoft doesn't have a whole lot.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
LBP seems to have bombed. Not sure what they expected releasing it on that date with little fanfare.

Not sure how to feel about Dragon Age numbers. Probably low?

LBP bomba yes.

Dragon Age had a huge hill to climb with the reception of Dragon Age 2; those are fine numbers, it's going to do ok, if it has a long tail.

The response from Sony will be keep calm and carry on. Without taking away from the spectacular XBO result, 840k is a very good second November.

I'm curious whether the promotion becomes permanent though. This seems to be the value sweet spot for the XBO.

Anion

I keep hearing about people getting/planning to get an xbox one at college, I know anecdotal, but I think it symbolizes people finally jumping to next gen - which should be good for everyone lol.

Anyways, so...Cboat? Anyone going to trust him/her as readily next time?

BokehKing

Banned
I find it slightly disturbing that people wanted Sony to sell their console at a discount just to win November, because now they may get picked on by Xbox fans for the next 30 days.

We need to congratulate Microsoft, let them have their moment, it's far from the end of the world

What just happened to cboat? He always has the inside scoop on Microsoft right?

Also, crazy that Microsoft won this month, I contributed to that number, but dang, that price cut really helped them out. Congrats.

Lemondish

This is a significant victory for MS. I wonder how December results are going to look like...
It also seems that the first two weeks of November (Correct me if I'm wrong) are what sealed the deal. I have never seen a company be so much aggressive with the bundles and price cuts, but they are in a position to take the hit, financially...
The American market will be interesting to follow from now on. :)

It will only be interesting if they continue with the $350 SKU with several free games. With no games coming in the first half of 2015, they'll need the fire sale mentality to last six more months.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
We don't have official sales numbers but the leaderboards in the game have around 650k people registered. Safe to assume it sold close to a half million, at least.

My friend at least as far as the U.S. concerned, DC has been the exact opposite end of "well"

Rembrandt

Banned
Heh, some here are going to eat crow in a few months. I understand why it's easy to say due to PSX and MS not having much exclusive wise for the first half of 2015 but this isn't true at all.

People are really overhyping Bloodborne's potential. The Order will easily outsell it.

Same. PS2 dominating was also the best generation in video games of all time. Even for Xbox and GameCube games.

You know the PS2 dominating doesn't mean there was no competition, right? For some reason, people use that as a defense when people say competition is good like the PS2 was the sole console that gen.

orochi91

I'm in the dark as well, to be honest, regarding XB1 titles in the first half of 2015.

I know possibly Halo 5 and Tomb Raider in the fall.

Along with potentially QB and Forza 6.

Odah

Banned
I keep hearing about people getting/planning to get an xbox one at college, I know anecdotal, but I think it symbolizes people finally jumping to next gen - which should be good for everyone lol.

Anyways, so...Cboat? Anyone going to trust him/her as readily next time?

If its xbox news...probably biased and should be taken with a grain of salt. Anything else he was always on point.

woodypop

“We are committed to making Xbox the best place to play, with this year’s best games, the best community of gamers to play with, and terrific value. And we are amazed by the excitement Xbox fans have shown to start off this holiday. November set a new record for sales of Xbox One, and Xbox One was the best-selling console in the US and UK.* Response to the holiday lineup of games on Xbox One was incredible, with Xbox One fans buying more games in November in the U.S. than any other gen eight platform and enjoying over 357 million hours of gameplay globally. In fact, more fans logged into Xbox Live across Xbox One and Xbox 360, and enjoyed more entertainment, than any other month in the history of Xbox. We love to see the excitement from our fans and are grateful for their passion, support and contributions to the Xbox community.” – Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President, Xbox Marketing.
Was the asterisk ever explained?

TI82

Banned

Well what do they have? I was just looking at the 2015 Xbox one games thread and it looked pretty barren. I figured they would have at least set up a Gears of War game or something.

Fehyd

Banned
Sony still has a lot of Destiny PS4's in-stores, and people don't want to buy that for 450 when the regular PS4 is 400.

I wouldn't be surprised if that bundle gets a price drop when it gets discontinued as a way to test the waters, most of the stores I work-in are drowning in the things.

vpance

It'll be really interesting to see where hardware sales go from here. I figured early 2015 would be a runaway for Sony since the XBO lineup is rather sparse but now I'm not sure.

Tbf, these Xbone sales could be as front loaded as much as launch sales were. MS effectively brought 2 price drops worth of new customers to the table. Dec NPD will give us more insight but it could be too soon to call 2015 a lock for MS at a presumed $349.

Amir0x

Banned
How come when people thought I was way off with my xbox wins by 400k to 500k prediction my posts got called out. But now that it turns out to have been pretty accurate nobody points it out?

I didn't know what your prediction was, but I made a similar gap prediction and had a multipage debate with people over how much I was overestimating.

I think people just were skeptical after how frequently XBO was still beat by PS4, despite multiple big events on the calendar (drop Kinect in June, Titanfall release, August deals, etc).

Duxxy3

The response from Sony will be keep calm and carry on. Without taking away from the spectacular XBO result, 840k is a very good second November.

I'm curious whether the promotion becomes permanent though. This seems to be the value sweet spot for the XBO.

Exactly. No reason to change anything.

Top Bottom