• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Biker19

Banned
Rather than build their own first party studio and IP. This is the reason I don't have much respect for MS. Their MS is to dump a fuckton of money on short-term gains rather than invest in the long-term.

Sarcasm? Big companies with lots of money forcing others out of a market in order to dominate it is, you know, illegal and really shitty for consumers.

Exactly. And that's been their main strategy since the Original Xbox & Xbox 360: Throw a lot of money around to buy out the competition & to win their way out of it, rather than working hard to win it.

3rd party software accounts for 38.9% of Wii U total software revenue? Am I reading this right? Seems really high considering Wii U 3rd party games never charts.

To supplement Creamsugar:

Wii U total software:

November 2013 was +40% YOY from November 2012

November 2014 was +108% YOY from November 2013

Nintendo publisher revenues:

2013 = 17% Wii U

2014 YTD = 38% Wii U (+190% YOY)

And just for fun...(Sorry SmokyDave)

Sony publisher revenues:

2012 = 76% PS3

2013 = 92% PS3 + PS4

2014 YTD = 94% PS3 + PS4

This just shows how much SCEA has abandoned Vita.

Faustek

Well the software really did manage to come this year and next year looks to be an absolute darling as well.
Money will be made.

Game Guru

I guess the only non-13-35 y.o. male games I see in charts are Nintendo games and Minecraft. So it appears that nobody is making retail console games for families aside from Nintendo; or if they do, they aren't being purchased.

Of games not for 13-35 year old males, LEGO games, as well as Skylanders and Disney Infinity also chart and they've generally sold best on Xbox 360 in recent years. We also should not discount the fact that PS3 and Xbox 360 have not yet hit the $100 price point and may never hit it as well as both PS4 and XB1 being $100 outside the norm for consoles at launch prices.

If you look at Apple's demographic, women and children often buy very early (As in within 3 months of the release of a new phone). They aren't exclusive early adopters, of course, but they aren't an enormous minority the way they are with, say, a new Xbox.

I believe there to be an inherent difference between mobile devices and a device meant for the television. A mobile device is one that everyone in the family is going to buy, especially one with the major purpose of communicating with other people like a smartphone does and especially when they can get one every few years for cheap with a two-year contract. Conversely a device meant for the television is something a family buys once every few years. I believe part of the reason why things like the Ouya and the Fire TV are not successful is because people can see that PS4 and XB1 are quality hardware and worth the $400 much as people see the iPhone and iPad as quality hardware worth its asking price.

I am however willing to entertain the possibility that people want mobile devices now and don't want a device that would be stuck in a single place, but that is a much larger issue that would affect entire segments of media industries.

Amused

And just for fun...(Sorry SmokyDave)

Sony publisher revenues:

2012 = 76% PS3

2013 = 92% PS3 + PS4

2014 YTD = 94% PS3 + PS4

This just shows how much SCEA has abandoned Vita.

I guess it does show that to some extent, but it also shows Sony had a brand new $399 console on the market that made up most of its sales in the US in 2013 and 2014?

Or is this software only?

Sorry, I'm probably reading this wrong.

I guess it does show that to some extent, but it also shows Sony had a brand new $399 console on the market that made up most of its sales in the US in 2013 and 2014?

Or is this software only?

Sorry, I'm probably reading this wrong.

It's software only. It basically shows that Sony isn't really releasing anything at retail for the Vita software wise, and we should all know that retail software is, for the most part, the biggest driver of console sales outside of launch.

Amused

It's software only. It basically shows that Sony isn't really releasing anything at retail for the Vita software wise, and we should all know that retail software is, for the most part, the biggest driver of console sales outside of launch.

Ok, thanks, makes more sense in that perspective.

Not good for the Vita. Still on the fence about buying one (time issue), and no support doesn't help.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
3rd party software accounts for 38.9% of Wii U total software revenue? Am I reading this right? Seems really high considering Wii U 3rd party games never charts.

Yeh I'm actually surprised by this too... Exactly what titles are contributing to this? Just Dance, Skylanders, Lego and Disney?

IIRC, the "missing" ones were 360, 3DS, Vita, Wii, and PS3. But I think we already have the 3DS and 360 numbers, so the other three should be relatively easy.
If the largest segment corresponds to the 3DS, using JH's approx as base, then the three smallest segments would be around 89K, 33K and 25K.

That seems a terrible showing relative to the 360 for the PS3, so I don't know if that's the appropriate assignment.

AniHawk

i will assume it's the ps vita that sold 25k, just off the basis of using warm colors = handhelds, cool colors = consoles. that's less than half of what it did last year.

either way, that puts the vita at around 225k-233k for the year. i'm seeing systems in stock at retailers for the first time in months, so maybe the system can crack 300k for the year if it actually sold 33k in november.

Faustek

i will assume it's the ps vita that sold 25k, just off the basis of using warm colors = handhelds, cool colors = consoles. that's less than half of what it did last year.

either way, that puts the vita at around 225k-233k for the year. i'm seeing systems in stock at retailers for the first time in months, so maybe the system can crack 300k for the year if it actually sold 33k in november.

Word on the street is that SCEA took a leaf from SCEE and is doing a push* again for the Vita.

*Not ignoring it but not giving it more than the just-starting-to-rot meat.

Rather than build their own first party studio and IP. This is the reason I don't have much respect for MS. Their MS is to dump a fuckton of money on short-term gains rather than invest in the long-term.

Sarcasm? Big companies with lots of money forcing others out of a market in order to dominate it is, you know, illegal and really shitty for consumers.
I'm really not here do defend MS but ...Come on now. Sony bought Naughty Dog, Zipper, Evolution, Bigbig, Media Molecule, Guerrilla.

Why can't MS buy studios too?

Exactly. And that's been their main strategy since the Original Xbox & Xbox 360: Throw a lot of money around to buy out the competition & to win their way out of it, rather than working hard to win it.
Buy the competition? Are you serious?

I know you don't like MS but damn, buying studios is buying your competition?

EGM1966

Conclusions from numbers leaked / read in the thread so far for 2014:

• PS4 will likely sell the most in US for full year by a relatively small margin assuming XB1 takes December with a similar or lower margin
  • To sell the most in US for full year XB1 needs to outperform the PS4 by more in December than November
  • PS4 took Jan through October
  • XB1 took November and will likely take December
  • So far it's actually very close in US now we have more of a full year to view
Key things to watch for:

• will PS4 resume outselling XB1 from January as seasonal profiles change to its favour?
  • will MS be able to keep XB1 selling this well from Janurary onwards?
  • will MS raise price or keep it lower (I'm guessing keep it lower)?
  • will Sony react if sales are closer from January onwards?
Or am I miss-reading the data somehow?

jrDev

Unified software line. With two pieces of hardware. One designed for on the go play, and the other for home play.

That's all I can think of that would allow them to have vibrant software support for both, but that also means a consolidation of both play styles, and Visual output. So, not likely to have a 3D screen, and touch seems less likely as well.
I say still provide all the useful unique features for each hardware while providing the unified software; so still use touch screen and 3D features etc but remove them from the hardware that doesn't match. Something like cross buy. Still provide unique experiences too...

JaggedSac

I did not. My bad.

But then I ask, what hardware innovation? What have I missed?
Are you talking about things like turf wars? Using the GPS to overtake a map and lose some weight at the same time?

Of course not, he is talking about needing to purchase in game currency using real world currency in order to speed up the time it takes for actions to complete in game.

abadguy

Banned
Except they have been building studios and IPs so that's inaccurate.

damisa

Why would parents buy their kids expensive consoles with $60 games, when they already own a ton of smartphones, tablets, and old computers/laptops with free/cheap games? They also have free online.

From what I have seen from my young cousins, they are having plenty of fun playing clash of clans, minecraft, etc on these devices.

QaaQer

Of games not for 13-35 year old males, LEGO games, as well as Skylanders and Disney Infinity also chart and they've generally sold best on Xbox 360 in recent years. We also should not discount the fact that PS3 and Xbox 360 have not yet hit the $100 price point and may never hit it as well as both PS4 and XB1 being $100 outside the norm for consoles at launch prices.

Could creme or aqua give the percentages of 2014 software sales of family titles (esrb rated early-childhood, everyone, and eveeryone 10+) vs mature titles (teen, mature, adults only) on x1, ps4, and wiiu? I'd buy you a dry aged steak & a snifter of cognac if you're ever in Calgary.

Well, the year before was pretty spot on too, right?

It was impossible to tell. They said XBO sold more then PS4 but then PS4 sold more then XBO for the whole month. Due to it being launch month and thanks supply strains it's difficult to say if it's accurate or not.

QaaQer

I'm really not here do defend MS but ...Come on now. Sony bought Naughty Dog, Zipper, Evolution, Bigbig, Media Molecule, Guerrilla.

Simply because MS is the Standard Oil chaebol in this tale and the number of quality studios capable of making AAA retail games is tiny in 2014. Although, my reading of The Race for A New Game Machine and being alive during MS' predatory heyday has colored my view of that company. They might be a bunch of nice guys now.

Does anyone actually think XBO will sell less in December than in November?

I think people are more worried they're gonna Rare/343 'em. There's a slight stigma there.

Javin98

Banned
Does anyone actually think XBO will sell less in December than in November?
It's possible because the price cut started in November so most people who wanted an XB1 could have purchased one in that month, but I doubt it. I think the bigger question is will the XB1 outsell the PS4 again in December? If so, will the gap be bigger or smaller than in November?

FordGTGuy

Banned
I don't know why people keep putting up this idea of Microsoft buying all their studios.

Turn 10 - built by Microsoft.
343 Studios - built by Microsoft
Black Tusk Studios - built by Microsoft.
Mojang - bought by Microsoft.
Rare - bought by Microsoft.
Lion head Studios - bought by Microsoft.
Insomniac - not owned by Microsoft.
Crystal Dynamics - not owned by Microsoft.
Crytek - not owned by Microsoft.
Iron Galaxy - not owned by Microsoft.
Double Helix Studios - not owned by Microsoft.
Playground Games - not owned by Microsoft.
Capcom Vancouver - not owned by Microsoft.
Cloudgine - not owned by Microsoft.
Remedy Entertainment - not owned by Microsoft.

These are all studios that have released exclusives or announced them for Xbox One.

The studios that were bought by Microsoft happened way back except for Mojang which currently has a supported game on every platform except for Nintendo.

Top Bottom