• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skate 2 releasing in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

hie

RiotPelaaja said:
Playing the game now, there is no Custom soundtracks on the PS3, but you can edit the song lists to your liking and McRad's Weakness is in there, so just put that on repeat.

:D

Chris R

Framerate is choppy in the PS3 version, at least for me :| 360 was much smoother

Might just have to go with the 360 version, even though I prefer the PS3 controls :(

rass

from the skate forums:
Scott Blackwood said:
Totally correct. The game can run at 1080, but 720P looks better to most. Sometimes too sharp is well... too sharp.

And yes you should leave visual settings at default for the best look. RGB Range to LOW and White Correcter OFF. The game was tuned for default settings and they're definitely the way to play.

Lastly - PS3 never drops below 30fps - ever. But in the demo it can drop down to 30 from 60 at times which can make it feel similar to a slow down. We put in an optimization to make this much better after the demo was finished. So that's why the GT comparison video (using the final products) came out a tie pretty much.

- Scott

edit:
I know that any drop from 60 is pretty lame, but i would get drops into single digit frame rates in OG skate whnever i tried to session downtown. I am prepared to buy a 360 if the difference is that severe again, especially if i get another 200 or so hours out of this one

Dragnet

sprocket said:
cool now lets see if the all the "well i was getting the ps3 version.." retract their statements.

Oh no, how fucking dare a game drop below 30fps!

Fuck that, people with that attitude need to grow up and realise almost every game this generation has been 30fps or less.

PS3 version, represent!

Dragnet said:
Oh no, how fucking dare a game drop below 30fps!

Fuck that, people with that attitude need to grow up and realise almost every game this generation has been 30fps or less.

PS3 version, represent!

The framerate in the demo for the PS3 version does get annoying. I didn't think it was that bad at first until I played it some more. Much like the PS3 demo of the original it'll slowdown at times for no apparently reason. A good example of that is that when you clear the gap after learning how to walk the framerate will start chugging for no reason. You're in a mostly enclosed space and yet the framerate is bouncing around. And when you get air after the drop in at Slappy's it starts to chug there.

I hope it's better in the retail version, otherwise i'll just skip it this year.

Flunkie

Banned
Gekko87 said:
So wait, the demo drops to 30fps but the retail doesn't? Getting PS3 ver no matter what, just want to know.
The framerate in the demo of both versions has framerate drops - the full game is said to be much more stable on both consoles.

From personal experience, the PS3 demo runs a little better for me.

Dragnet

Gekko87 said:
So wait, the demo drops to 30fps but the retail doesn't? Getting PS3 ver no matter what, just want to know.

Apparently so. I guess this magic optimization (2gb install?) helps sort it out. He did have a point though, the GT video showed them being identical, even when they game was in HoM mode at it's worst framerate.

zeloe326

Just finished playing the Skate Demo. Very nice, I really like it. I'm kinda immune when it comes to Frame rate drops, and I did noticed some hiccups but it didn't bother me at all.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Demo is available for XBL silver now. I've been playing it for the last 4 hours :lol

And for the most part it feels really good. The time limit is so incredibly short and annoying. 9 minutes of freeskate after all the bullshit challenges is simply not enough time. Oh well. I really like the more weighty feel, that's probably my favorite improvement so far. Most of the new tricks feel pretty good and are simple enough to pull off. Moving objects around is fantastic and really adds a lot to the game. Walking controls don't feel very good, but I can live with them. It's also a bit confusing what he can and can't run up. It seems like they should have spent a little more time with the walking. I'm still a bit confused why it's so hard to do 360s off of kickers. I like that he turns much slower, but he just kind of stops after the 180 and doesn't seem to want to turn after that - that's kind of odd. I also found it nearly impossible to do no comply 180s, which are pretty easy in real life.

I found Slappy's park to be pretty well designed, and the movable objects made it really fun to mess around in. The video editor is definitely better than the first game, but it's still kind of limiting. I'm hoping that video editor download makes it a lot better. Character creation was alright. I couldn't make a woman that looked like a woman though. The men looked fine. It's nice that you don't slide as far on rails, but I still think he pops out of grinds too much. Liptricks are still pretty random, which is both good and bad. I'm a little disappointed that all of the tricks still look the same(wallrides and boardslides/lipslides are the main tricks that bug me, plus no impossibles still). But those aren't a huge deal. I know I sound like I'm being overly critical of this game, but I really liked the demo and the skating definitely feels a lot better than Skate 1, which was already incredible. I'm just a huge skate nerd and so I'm overly picky.

vpance

The framerate is so jumpy on the PS3 demo. Seems worse than I can recall from the first game. Not amazed by the 60fps at all if it still hitches like mad.

Dante

Meh, pretty disappointed overall.

Basic stuff that I wanted fixed from the first hasn't been addressed. Why cant I easily transition over from a five-o to a tailslide without popping an ollie, nobody ollies into that in real life. Same with lip trivks on transition why can't I easily pop in smoothly and naturally without popping an ollie back into the tranny?

I don't like the lighting at all, it just looks ugly.

I knew the off the board segments would be janky.

Prob still getting, but I'm pretty disappointed being that the first brought so much innovation to the table. This really just feels like Skate 1.5 :/

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Since it's the holidays I will be getting this. It seems like a good holiday game; kinda like a Summer popcorn flick but for games. Buy, then sell to friend for me.

dfyb

Banned
might have been answered earlier, but can you disable the hall of meat crap that comes up and stops the game?

dfyb said:
might have been answered earlier, but can you disable the hall of meat crap that comes up and stops the game?

Wasn't an option in the first one, so I doubt it.

That aside, I am loving this game.

dfyb

Banned
disappeared said:
Wasn't an option in the first one, so I doubt it.

That aside, I am loving this game.
i don't remember the first one bringing you to an entirely different screen and showing a replay of it happening, requiring you to press a button to continue playing...

dfyb said:
i don't remember the first one bringing you to an entirely different screen and showing a replay of it happening, requiring you to press a button to continue playing...

I don't know how Hall of Meat works in Skate 2 beyond the demo. It seemed to me that it was similar to Skate 1.

What they're talking about in the video is the Hall of Meat gameplay mode. It's a separate mode entirely and I assume they're using the video replay editor for the clips.

Don't know for sure though, but that was my impression.

And yeah even Skate 1's hall of meat stuff was pretty annoying, lets hope it's not worse.

dfyb

Banned
Buckethead said:
I don't know how Hall of Meat works in Skate 2 beyond the demo. It seemed to me that it was similar to Skate 1.

What they're talking about in the video is the Hall of Meat gameplay mode. It's a separate mode entirely and I assume they're using the video replay editor for the clips.

Don't know for sure though, but that was my impression.

And yeah even Skate 1's hall of meat stuff was pretty annoying, lets hope it's not worse.
the demo has what i'm referring to. screen is black and shows your bones etc.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
There will always be freeskate, I'm sure there'll be no HoM shit there.

And it appears that a lot of people enjoy HoM, it's just that those who oppose such stuff are a vocal minority..

One thing I hope is that I can disable the HUD when playing freeskate online, any word on that?

rass

had about 6 runs through the demo so far
first reaction was glee haha. i loved it. you guys all freaked me out. i did panic when i couldnt do a 360 on flat though, one of my favourite stylish trick is backside flip then use the legs for the last 180. figured that out though.
loving the weightier feel on banks and down stairs/rails.
not loving the 20 foot of air out of tranny from 3 pushes but what are ya gonna do, easy enough to go slower.
All in all, love the demo, more pumped than i was before i played it.
my biggest disappointment is that the legs go the opposite way to how i like to see airwalks, but im picky like that :lol

roMonster

Is there anyway to turn off the vignetting (or whatever it's called) in the corners? I know it's suppose to emulate a camera and it usually doesn't bother me (it was alright in Pure) but the edges are so freaking hard.

Other than that--fun game.

wmat said:
There will always be freeskate, I'm sure there'll be no HoM shit there.

And it appears that a lot of people enjoy HoM, it's just that those who oppose such stuff are a vocal minority..

One thing I hope is that I can disable the HUD when playing freeskate online, any word on that?

I gotcha, but at the same time I don't dislike HoM. When your hanging out with your boys and you crash you're like "oh snappppp....10 bones broken" but it takes like 10 seconds in and out of the menu or something like that so after awhile it's like "uh....I was trying to do this infuriating video line....go away...k thx".

It mocks you. Haha.

Hyoushi

wmat said:
Well, in the online dev interview vid they showed that you can jump into online freeskate from the regular freeskate mode seemingly at any time, so theoretically the same settings would apply. Not sure of course.

Jeff-DSA

Buckethead said:
I would too, it gets annoying after awhile and interrupts the flow.
Let's hope there's some option to make it more minimalist.

It becomes less and less of an occurrence as you play, as it only pops up when you set a new HoM high score. After a while you'll have pushed that score to such a high level that only your biggest bails will bring up the screen, and by that point you definitely want to see all the damage you took. I played for about 8 hours straight at a community day event and by the end I was rarely seeing the screen pop up at all, even when I was trying to bail hard.

HiResDes

Okay so I went back and played Skate again for around 3 hours, and played the demo for around 3 hours also...Must have restarted the damn thing at least 50 times.

Anyway I've come to a couple of conclusions:

Spinning

Spinning in Skate 2 is unarguably harder than it is in the original no matter how you set your trucks...In the original Skate pulling off full cabs and 360s on flatground was fairly easy, but in Skate 2 it is nearly impossible. The truth is, this is coming from a skater of the last 6 years, it isn't all that impossible to do flatground 360s in real life. So, why should spinning be harder on a video game than it is in real life?

Ollieing

The next thing is flatground ollieing, again you can jump higher in the original than you can in Skate 2. And before people talk about settings or the camera height, I've taken both into account and tried skating with many different settings. A concrete example are picnic tables, in the original it is not all that hard to jump over a picnic table, but in the sequel it is damn near impossible to clear one. The truth is that most professional skateboarders can jump picnic tables with ease, so why should it be so hard in the game.

Speed
Speed is the next topic I'll cover, and it is considerably more complex than the previous topics were. In the original Skate three pushes will give you considerably more speed than in the sequel. The overall sense of speed, speed wobbles and all have all been considerably reduced in Skate 2 even when playing with the truck settings set to their loosest. On the flipside, the speed you gather from ramps, especially when pumping has been increased in Skate 2 and more accurately reflects where it should be. However, as I stated before other transition speeds have not been as greatly increased as they should been, banks will net you more speed than in Skate 1, but are a ways off from simulating the actual physics.

Grinding
Finally, grinding is more successful in Skate 2, it is easier to lock into grinds...Grinding still slows you down but the decrease has been nurfed a bit, to more accurately reflect real skating. It is also easier to lock into grinds, which is a good thing, because smiths/feebles were way too hard to pull off than they should have been in the original game...As they are actually two of the easier grinds to execute in real life.

Conclusion

Some improvements have been made in Skate 2 to the basics, but not nearly enough, especially given that in some cases things have worsened. The features of Skate 2 that they tried to improve upon all have their failings as well. The replay editor is now entirely too complex and cumbersome, and the hall of meat pop up has become even more annoying and intrusive than it was in the last game. The lighting in the game is more realistic, but maybe that is its failing, it seems to have an uglier grittier look to it with the colors being more desaturated than in the original. So much that, the original Skate is arguably the nicer looking of the two.

McLovin

DS3 definitely feels better.. the only differences I noticed in the demo was that the 360 version had a smoother frame-rate during the cut-scenes but it dipped once in a while. The PS3 version had a constant choppy frame-rate during the cut-scenes. Frame-rate during gameplay was about even but both stuttered when I fell off the board. I'll probably get the PS3 version since I prefer the DS3.

HiResDes

McLovin said:
DS3 definitely feels better.. the only differences I noticed in the demo was that the 360 version had a smoother frame-rate during the cut-scenes but it dipped once in a while. The PS3 version had a constant choppy frame-rate during the cut-scenes. Frame-rate during gameplay was about even but both stuttered when I fell off the board. I'll probably get the PS3 version since I prefer the DS3.
You guys need to all cut out this talk about the controller, as they both have their failings, and are arguably the most similar that two concurrent competing systems have ever offered.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I agree a lot with you HiResDes, although I think grinds were easy enough in Skate and they lock too easily in the demo of skate2.

And that Hall of Meat shit is annoying as hell. In the first game it popped up as a window and lasted like a second if you just pushed passed it, but here it fills the entire screen and has a little intro animation and all the text fills in gradually, and it's just slow as hell.

The camera man is annoying as fuck(!) too. He was bad in the first game but he shut up for the most part, hopefully he'll be less intrusive in the rest of the game than the intro section.

As for the replay editor, it's pretty much worse off in my opinion. The camera movement is pretty unintuitive and when I try to just slow down something I thought looked awesome the trigger is way too sensitive compared to the first game, which again in my my opinion had the sensitivity locked down right. There are some animations that loses out a bit to those in Skate, especially when pulling your front trucks in position after landing your back trucks somewhat sketchy. In the first game that had a great animation, but I've yet to see that happen properly in skate2.

Overall it seems to be a great game though, although it's somewhat disappointing in some ways were they've revised shit that didn't need it.

McLovin

HiResDes said:
You guys need to all cut out this talk about the controller, as they both have their failings, and are arguably the most similar that two concurrent competing systems have ever offered.
Well sorry but I've been playing PlayStation since ps1. Those buttons are burned into my brain. Every time it says hit a or b or x or y I have to look to see what it is. In fact I mentally say "it says to hit a so that means hit X" Plus I don't like the left analog stick being at the top. Besides.. I said that's my preference. Why should it bother you?

McLovin said:
Well sorry but I've been playing PlayStation since ps1. Those buttons are burned into my brain. Every time it says hit a or b or x or y I have to look to see what it is. In fact I mentally say "it says to hit a so that means hit X" Plus I don't like the left analog stick being at the top. Besides.. I said that's my preference. Why should it bother you?

Learn to use color coordination, and the xbox buttons become second nature. X blue, A green, B red, Y yellow.

McLovin

RiskyChris said:
Learn to use color coordination, and the xbox buttons become second nature. X blue, A green, B red, Y yellow.
I'm sure it will be second nature in time.. I just got my 360 last month.

Dante

HiResDes said:

Actually Manuals are considerably easier with the PS3 sticks, although this is one instance where the 360 stick layout makes more logical sense being offset given that your feet are lower than your body.

.nimrod

HiResDes said:
Spinning
Spinning in Skate 2 is unarguably harder than it is in the original no matter how you set your trucks...In the original Skate pulling off full cabs and 360s on flatground was fairly easy, but in Skate 2 it is nearly impossible. The truth is, this is coming from a skater of the last 6 years, it isn't all that impossible to do flatground 360s in real life. So, why should spinning be harder on a video game than it is in real life?

Try pushing both sticks in the same direction, makes 360 ollies/flips a cakewalk.
<3 that, it gives me more control and looks more realistic

Dandy

HiResDes said:
Okay so I went back and played Skate again for around 3 hours, and played the demo for around 3 hours also...Must have restarted the damn thing at least 50 times.

Anyway I've come to a couple of conclusions:
Spinning
Ollieing
Speed
Grinding
Conclusion
Some improvements have been made in Skate 2 to the basics, but not nearly enough, especially given that in some cases things have worsened. The features of Skate 2 that they tried to improve upon all have their failings as well. The replay editor is now entirely too complex and cumbersome, and the hall of meat pop up has become even more annoying and intrusive than it was in the last game. The lighting in the game is more realistic, but maybe that is its failing, it seems to have an uglier grittier look to it with the colors being more desaturated than in the original. So much that, the original Skate is arguably the nicer looking of the two.

Completely disagree on some points:

Spinning has been made more realistic not harder. Just like real life; where the shoulders go, the legs will follow. Spinning in the first game was bullshit, no one can do waist high flatground 540s.

Ollies have also been fixed, because lol, no pro can "jump picnic tables with ease" (except maybe Brophy and Huf).

You're definitely right about the sensation of speed, but I think the actual speed on the ground and through transitions is spot on. Banks are fucked because you can't shift the characters weight, so yeah, that should be addressed somehow and since we can walk around now they should let us drop in properly as well.

I had no problems locking into any grinds in the first game (funnily enough smiths and feebles were my go-to grinds in Skate), but grinding definitely feels and looks better in the sequel. I was hoping that the friction would change depending on the material of the ledge or rail, but I guess it doesn't. It's non-issue though, I'll just pretend that rollerbladers have had a pass through the city and waxed the shit out of everything.

I reckon Skate 2 is one of those rare sequels that is 100% better than the original in every possible way, like Sonic 1 -> Sonic 2. No downgrades at all.

About the pads, I prefer the DS3 because the sticks are looser and the stalks are higher which makes the flick-it movements more pronounced. I find it a lot more comfortable like that, but I have no issues doing tricks with the 360 sticks either.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
HiResDes said:
It is also easier to lock into grinds, which is a good thing, because smiths/feebles were way too hard to pull off than they should have been in the original game...As they are actually two of the easier grinds to execute in real life.
No they aren't, especially not backside. They're freaking hard.

hie

Dante said:
Meh, pretty disappointed overall.

Basic stuff that I wanted fixed from the first hasn't been addressed. Why cant I easily transition over from a five-o to a tailslide without popping an ollie, nobody ollies into that in real life. Same with lip trivks on transition why can't I easily pop in smoothly and naturally without popping an ollie back into the tranny?

you could do both of these in Skate 1.

5-0 to tail: just rotate your body then push towards the ledge/rail to lock in. it's not that hard.

pop back into tranny from a liptrick? push one of the face buttons. same way you smoothly get off of a rail without having to ollie out.

Flunkie

Banned
HiResDes said:
So people aren't allowed to have opinions about what controller they prefer? :lol

It's normal to base a multiplatform purchase off of things like the controller, friends list, or graphics.

HiResDes

Flunkie said:
So people aren't allowed to have opinions about what controller they prefer? :lol

It's normal to base a multiplatform purchase off of things like the controller, friends list, or graphics.
I just think its fruitless if not backed up by some kind of reasoning, I've seen examples of both today, however...So I'm fine with it, not that anybody should care whether I'm fine with it or not...Whatever I'm tired of trying to avoid being flamed. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom