• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2014 (Dec 15 - Dec 21)

Vena

A price cut or redesign could result in increased sales, but I doubt it would be enough to be worthwhile in terms of reduced margin or hardware design human capital opportunity cost. They're just gonna ride it out another year and a half.

It doesn't make much sense for them to run production runs on the old model and its prohibitive build costs. The amount spent on R&D for the smaller, streamlined GamePad would probably run less than firing up the old facilities and building new-old GamePads, especially if they plan to sell more than the initial 10 million deal...

We're not talking about a WiiU redesign, the console is already streamlined sans expandable storage or more USB ports.

Here's hoping that NCL and many others take note and do something worthwhile or it's going to be very grim for a lot of people...

This has been Nintendo's strategy for decades, they don't need to take note of what they have already been doing, lol. They have high-hitters, and they fund off-shoots like Splatoon or Xenoblade to expand viable markets. Neither of those is a "safe project".

Hmm...I don't know. Myabe it's just me but it seems more like a "Damn! Check out those Western PS4 sales! Quick, get something out that we can at least publish in the West for some of that money!" I may be very wrong though...

I think this may be at the root of the mindset. There is a huge western PS4 market and possible fledgling Japanese PS4 market. So they throw their chips behind the big beast even if the idea of selling to that western audience is... highly improbable. A huge chunk of the PS4/X1 market is FIFA/COD and nothing more.

Of course, I think many are throwing their chips in for other more-$$$ related reasons. The Vita/3DS are better bets locally for titles that will likely never leave Japan, and the 3DS is better globally.

sörine

Banned
I think that is one reason but I was thinking back to Yuji Horii's comments about trying to expand the core gamers audience in Japan and how consoles will be top dog after the Smartphone boom. I can imagine that is a sentiment other share despite it seeming farfetched.
Brands like Dragon Quest, Yakuza, Miku, God Eater and Musou aren't for taking a crack at the west. Neither are studios like NIS, Falcom, Gust or Idea Factory.

PS4 seems to be absorbing a lot of local support that's expressly targeting Japan primarily or exclusively. Support that arguably might've been better served invested in building audiences on Vita and/or 3DS.

You think that they couldnt sell more systems if the console was cheaper and that it isnt desirable for a company to lower productions cost in the 3rd year ?

No one is saying it will sell like the Wii because of a cheaper price, but its a basic step they will take next year. No matter how bad the situation is the system will be Nintendo home console for the next 2 years and they wont keep the price at 300€ just because some Gaffers think that price isnt an issue. Price is always an issue, its just that the system has a bunch of other issues as well.
People that typically posts in this thread are beyond that level of naivety or senselessness. The cheaper = potentially more sales is so obvious it shouldn't be discussed.

The point is that the Wii U fate as a product has been sealed for quite some time. And bringing up the "2nd console arguement" is nonsensical when we have a mirror like precedent with the GC, a console that undercut the competition by 100 dollars and had better 3rd party support, yet failed to gain any important momentum to the point of ending up with the lower installed base.

Just look some of the other replies that aline with some of my views to get an isea of what im talking about.
I'd say that Nintendo should try and make more new IP games like Splatoon to reach an audience outside the Ninty-faithful, but given the Wii-Wii U transition and the Wii U being what it is, it probably wouldn't be worth it
It could be worth it if Nintendo's next console can support the Wii U games. Not necessarily sugesting backward compatibility but at least easy asset and code migration, due to a more forward thinking and integrated development practices.
A price cut or redesign could result in increased sales, but I doubt it would be enough to be worthwhile in terms of reduced margin or hardware design human capital opportunity cost. They're just gonna ride it out another year and a half.With the domestic market spiralling down I would only surmise that the choice is aimed at trying to crack the western markets.
A Gamepad redesign is almost mandatory due to a number of reasons we have been discussed since various pages ago. It just makes too much sense not to do it. i know Nintendo and sense don't always go hand to hand, but this time i feel they' ll cease to the pressure XD

Take a look at the game, SE probably expected 100k tops lol.
I don't think so. They wouldn't have bothered calling it Final Fantasy: Explorers if they didn't have any big plans for this one. They could have easily called it a new IP. The timing of the release also coincides with holidays.

I wonder if they are going to bother localizing it for the west now.

TBH, I had no idea the game and demo ended up being mediocre. Probably the same case as PSN. Although there were some people here predicting it was going to sell more because it was the only alternative to monster hunter on 3DS :lol

It doesn't make much sense for them to run production runs on the old model and its prohibitive build costs. The amount spent on R&D for the smaller, streamlined GamePad would probably run less than firing up the old facilities and building new-old GamePads, especially if they plan to sell more than the initial 10 million deal...

We're not talking about a WiiU redesign, the console is already streamlined sans expandable storage or more USB ports.
They're only going to need maybe 4 million of these controllers to ride out the remaining life span. If it's prohibitively expensive to produce that little more, then they'd be better served simply dropping it and patching the OS to work without it than to invest in spending hardware team time, when they should be working on new system releases (plural) for 2016, on it any further and setting up production of a different controller design.

It's a dead concept. It's throwing good money after bad.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The system is "dead" not by default. Did the redesign address the reasons that made it unpopular out of its niche? Did the first party efforts after the launch address people complaints about the lack of appealing software?

It is easy to say that Sony must have something to do with some third party games their system get, when every company does the same. It is similar to saying that they are trying because they send promotional material to stores and run some generic ads in gaming magazines. Did they work to get big titles that could make a difference? We don't know. Did they run massive campaigns to present their product to new and meaning audiences? Doesn't seem likely, since we only hear initiatives towards niches or audiences already on Vita.

I don't buy the argument that there is no market anymore for products like Vita. Maybe there is no market for Vita as it stands, but that is Sony fault. For example, if they can't convince a 3DS owner that Vita offers more than replacing their 3DS for a new 3DS, it is incompetence, not fate, bad luck or something inevitable.

Let's not pretend people always own only one of the available handhelds. They may have difficulties in breaking into some sections of the market, but others are by sheer incompetence. They haven't sold 20 million PSPs in Japan only because Monster Hunter.

This are very simple. There is no market anymore for products like Vita and of course it's Sony's fault since it's a product that was DOA before it even launched. Nothing could save it in west, maybe something aka Monster Hunter happened again in Japan and things were better there.

As for Monster Hunter I've had this argument numerous times before. There wasn't any magic plan for PSP's turnaround that Sony had prepared and and Vita is the biggest proof of that. No matter how much Sony would try PSP wouldn't sell 20 million in Japan without Monster Hunter simply because there wouldn't be the PSP we know without Monster Hunter.

I don't think so. They wouldn't have bothered calling it Final Fantasy: Explorers if they didn't have any big plans for this one. They could have easily called it a new IP. The timing of the release also coincides with holidays.

TBH, I had no idea the game and demo ended up being mediocre. Probably the same case as PSN. Although there were some people here predicting it was going to sell more because it was the only alternative to monster hunter on 3DS :lol

Looking at what this game looks and plays I'm sure SE had big plans for this title.

All I was reading here was that it was going to bomb hard.

Is the game really mediocre?

sörine

Banned
They're only going to need maybe 4 million of these controllers to ride out the remaining life span. If it's prohibitively expensive to produce that little more, then they'd be better served simply dropping it and patching the OS to work without it than to invest in spending hardware team time, when they should be working on new system releases (plural) for 2016, on it any further and setting up production of a different controller design.

By all accounts they already have a healthy backlog of 2m+ Gamepads. They should still go ahead and decouple it from the system OS/Shop though, that way they could sell a low cost core SKU with a Pro Controller and offer Gamepads separately.

Vena

I don't see a console in 2016, nor do I see a slightly redesigned GamePad as a huge cost in either money or manhours. We're not talking about trying to streamline a console from brick to slick or redesign to accommodate die-shrinks or other large hardware changes. We're talking about cutting down on the screen size, the plastic, and the otherwise moving the guts from one form-factor to another.

Four million units built on the old, prohibitive GamePad could be a 100$ cheaper and sell a few more than four million. Nintendo's going to ride out this disaster on strong software sales for the WiiU and they have a line-up that, given any one purchase of the WiiU, will net them a pretty high attach rate.

Not to mention that, as I said, they can sell the new GamePad as an extra accessory to previous WiiU owners.... which is what the GamePad really should have always been. Even if they don't follow the redesign aspect, they should just decouple the GamePad as a whole and sell it as an accessory. Ship the WiiU itself + a Pro Controller for <150$ and call it a day.

Looking at what this game looks and plays I'm sure SE had big plans for this title.

All I was reading here was that it was going to bomb hard.
Because you don't use the name of Final Fantasy on every second product (mobile excluded here since SE is quite bad with it). Bravely Default was also supposed to be a FF spin-off AFAIK. If they just wanted to launch a new IP, they could have gone for a different name like they did with Bravely Default.

I know that some people talk doom and gloom about the FF in Japan, but it is still one of the most popular and 'consistent' IP in Japan. The recent example of a succesful FF is the re-release of X|X-2 HD on PS3/PSV. It is the best selling HD remaster in Japan.

Is the game really mediocre?
I am just talking about what I read earlier regarding some people saying the demo was bad. I have no idea how it actually is. I was never a fan of the art style.

You are not considering a very important thing, where a lot of money rides:

A substantial part of the Wii U exclusive library has some sort of Gamepad functionality implemented, patching all that will take a substantial amount of time, development muscle and in the end costs.

Not to mention already announced future software that will use the Gamepad heavily (Mario Maker, Kirby, Splatoon).

So in the end, it makes a ton more sense from a monetary and practical point of view to redesign the Gamepad than get rid of it XD

Then we don't know what further role a touch screen will play in future Nintendo Handhelds and home consoles.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Because you don't use the name of Final Fantasy on every second product (mobile excluded here since SE is quite bad with it). Bravely Default was also supposed to be a FF spin-off AFAIK. If they just wanted to launch a new IP, they could have gone for a different name like they did with Bravely Default.

I know that some people talk doom and gloom about the FF in Japan, but it is still one of the most popular and 'consistent' IP in Japan. The recent example of a succesful FF is the re-release of X|X-2 HD on PS3/PSV. It is the best selling HD remaster in Japan.

And how much Lighting Returns sold which was an AAA product?

Not to mention that, as I said, they can sell the new GamePad as an extra accessory to previous WiiU owners.

This is a bad idea. Unless there is a much higher failure rate than I thought, than no one is going to buy 2nd gamepads unless they put out a game that supports it. They would languish in stores like the uPads that lost THQ so much money.

Vena

This is a bad idea. Unless there is a much higher failure rate than I thought, than no one is going to buy 2nd gamepads unless they put out a game that supports it. They would languish in stores like the uPads that lost THQ so much money.

People buy redesigns and streamlines all the time. And, no, GamePads don't have high failure rates outside of people breaking them of their own actions.

And I never said to ship them to stores. Sell them on the Nintendo store and nothing more, that way they can literally be produced to demand.

And how much Lighting Returns sold which was an AAA product?
First of all, Lightning Returns being an AAA release? :lol

ibeNIa9UwTYU8R.jpeg

Secondly, How is Lightning Returns sales an indication of the popularity of the series when a 'HD remaster' outsold it single handily? As a die hard FF fan, even I knew better that SE were just releasing a game that no one asked for. I am surprised it still managed to sell 300k in its first week despite the absolute mess of the sequels of FF: XIII.

My point is that don't use the sales of FF XIII trilogy to gauge the interest of FF as a whole. XIII is the most hated game of the series with sequels that no one asked for.

Oregano

I am just talking about what I read earlier regarding some people saying the demo was bad. I have no idea how it actually is. I was never a fan of the art style.

I could post a list of every FF labelled game from the DS but suffice to say SE is perfectly comfortable using the FF name on every second product. Not to mention half the point of the game is that you use classic FF jobs and hunt classic FF summons.

SE already has a non-FF hunting action game and it's already been pointed out that FF Explorers did quite a bit better than it too. In fact it has had one of the stronger debuts of games in its genre this gen.

sörine

Banned
You are not considering a very important thing, where a lot of money rides:

A substantial part of the Wii U exclusive library has some sort of Gamepad functionality, patching all that will take a substantial amount of time, developments muscle and in the end costs.

Not to mention already announced future software that will use the Gamepad.

So in the end, it makes a ton more sense to redesign the Gamepad than get rid of it XD
Most 1st party games are fully playable with just a Pro Controller. For those that aren't like Nintendo Land or Mario Maker you could just slap a "Wii U Gamepad required" sticker on the box or a banner in the shop page. And many games would add extra features with a Gamepad like NSMBU or the new Zelda. There'd be an incentive there for core system owners to maybe upgrade at some point too.

I don't think a Gamepad redesign's a bad (or costly) idea either but I do think decoupling it could work and help ensure the system can move enough to keep retailers from dropping it. It's the surest way to get the system to $199 quickly.

LOCK

I find all the numbers to be disappointing.

Nintendo should have priced dropped the Wii U along the MK8 bundle. Nintendo always takes into account Japan first when it comes to their products, so I expect some major news come the quarterly meeting in January.

NOt a problem. You put the Gamepads in limited quantities. This is not an estraneous procedure for NIntendo.

That company that puts the ancient GC controller with an USB adapter contraption and a game in a box for the moderate price of a 100. All that for a very specific segment within a segement no less XD
sörine;144682732 said:
Most 1st party games are fully playable with just a Pro Controller. For those that aren't like Nintendo Land or Mario Maker you could just slap a "Wii U Gamepad required" sticker on the box or a banner in the shop page. And many games would add extra features with a Gamepad like NSMBU or the new Zelda. There'd be an incentive there for core system owners to maybe upgrade at some point too.

I don't think a Gamepad redesign's a bad (or costly) idea either but I do think decoupling it could work and help ensure the system can move enough to keep retailers from dropping it. It's the surest way to get the system to $199 quickly.
You think is that straight forward but it is not. Else we would see this by now or at most starting early next year. Think about it, even a game like Smash that has something like the level maker will need patching to account for a non existing Wii U SKU. And there's plenty of games with some sort of minor Wii U functionality even if is a taked on one.

Imagine having to invest resources in adress all of that.

90% of ast year's FF were low-budget / low-profile games, mobile or not. The last big FF spin-off was Type-0, and before that Dissidia.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

ibeNIa9UwTYU8R.jpeg

Secondly, How is Lightning Returns sales an indication of the popularity of the series when a 'HD remaster' outsold it single handily? As a die hard FF fan, even I knew better that SE were just releasing a game that no one asked for. I am surprised it still managed to sell 300k in its first week despite the absolute mess of the sequels of FF: XIII.

My point is that don't use the sales of FF XIII trilogy to gauge the interest of FF as a whole. XIII is the most hated game of the series with sequels that no one asked for.

SE seriously considered AAA. I'm not joking.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

ibeNIa9UwTYU8R.jpeg

So XIII-3 is AA/A/B product, XIII-3 sold more than it deserved, Square Enix doesn't use Final Fantasy name at secondary games but we must not count XIII trilogy into that rule because it's not representative of FF power and you post pictures of XIII-3 to prove that point when you have seen pictures of Explorers.

Counting all these Final Fantasy Explorers bombed.

NDS : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate ( Square Enix ) { 2007-08-23 } - 206,439 / 389,845
NGC : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles ( Square Enix ) { 2003-08-08 } - 191,602 / 354,991
NDS : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time ( Square Enix ) { 2009-01-29 } - 101,989 / 259,705
3DS : Final Fantasy Explorers ( Square Enix ) { 2014-12-18 } - 163,844 / 163,844
WII : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers ( Square Enix ) { 2009-11-12 } - 34,860 / 68,160
WII : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time ( Square Enix ) { 2009-01-29 } - 22,876 / 56,992

Ring of Fates shall not be dethroned by this shitty mobile reject.

One day, Square Enix will revive the CC lore! *waiting for Final Fantasy Tactics: Crystal Chronicles*

sörine

Banned
You think is that straight forward but it is not. Else we would see this by now or at most starting early next year. Think about it, even a game like Smash that has something like the level maker will need patching to account for a non existing Wii U SKU. And there's plenty of games with some sort of minor Wii U functionality even if is a taked on one.

Imagine having to invest resources in adress all of that.
In your example the level creator would just be inaccessible without a Gamepad. Smash is still playable with a Pro Controller but the level creator would be the sort of additional content a core owner might want to upgrade for.

I can't see how they get $100 in cost reduction from a GamePad redesign, and what sorine said would solve any software compatibility issues.

And I really can't see a substantial market for additional pads.

In any event I don't see any of these manoeuvres doing much more than preventing complete collapse. I.e. they need to drop the price, but I don't think it will increase sales or prevent decline simply reduce the extent of YoY decline. The system is still destined for lifetime topping out at about 15M.

sörine

Banned
I can't see how they get $100 in cost reduction from a GamePad redesign, and what sorine said would solve any software compatibility issues.

In any event I don't see any of these manoeuvres doing much more than preventing complete collapse. I.e. they need to drop the price, but I don't think it will increase sales or prevent decline simply reduce the extent of YoY decline. The system is still destined for lifetime topping out at about 15M.
Preventing complete collapse is basically the goal here. They need to keep a US Vita situation from happening worldwide and they're already at that point in at least one major market (UK).

BriBri

November digital numbers
Minecraft Vita 79,756
Pokémon ORAS 33,524
Kirby Fighters Z 15,974
Minecraft PS3 14,921
Monster Hunter 4G 7,591
Smash Bros. 3DS 6,499

Kandinsky

Why wouldnt mobile count tho, hell theres plenty of low effort/budget FF spinoff games that sell in the 200ks. This game probably costed 1/2 of Bravely Default (tales of my ass), just look at the intro ffs, a mess lol.

Takao

Banned

One day, Square Enix will revive the CC lore! *waiting for Final Fantasy Tactics: Crystal Chronicles*

Hmm, you're giving them top ideas!

November digital numbers
Minecraft Vita 79,756
Pokémon ORAS 33,524
Kirby Fighters Z 15,974
Minecraft PS3 14,921
Monster Hunter 4G 7,591
Smash Bros. 3DS 6,499

When did that tracking period for that report end? Hiskakun said Famitsu had Minecraft Vita at 76k on the 23rd.

liger05

Speaking for Vita I don't see this sudden death for Vita next year many see here, especially for sw. Some months ago it was supposed to outsell 3DS in 2015, now we have the opposite, that it will completely crater.

Who are these crazy people?

BlackJace

NDS : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate ( Square Enix ) { 2007-08-23 } - 206,439 / 389,845
NGC : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles ( Square Enix ) { 2003-08-08 } - 191,602 / 354,991
NDS : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time ( Square Enix ) { 2009-01-29 } - 101,989 / 259,705
3DS : Final Fantasy Explorers ( Square Enix ) { 2014-12-18 } - 163,844 / 163,844
WII : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers ( Square Enix ) { 2009-11-12 } - 34,860 / 68,160
WII : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time ( Square Enix ) { 2009-01-29 } - 22,876 / 56,992

Sigh, what I'd give for a new Crystal Chronicles...

hiska-kun

November digital numbers
Minecraft Vita 79,756
Pokémon ORAS 33,524
Kirby Fighters Z 15,974
Minecraft PS3 14,921
Monster Hunter 4G 7,591
Smash Bros. 3DS 6,499

Famitsu is not including week 48 in November's chart? Why? -.-

Anyway, I'm in holidays, not in Japan at the moment. Until next week i won't be able to post digital numbers.

BriBri

Famitsu is not including week 48 in November's chart? Why? -.-

Anyway, I'm in holidays, not in Japan at the moment. Until next week i won't be able to post digital numbers.
I can send scans if somebody wishes to translate? Obviously I won't post them here!

E-phonk

Banned

I see nobody arguing against that. 15 million in 2017 would be +/- the target for nintendo, but they'll need a serious price reduction to achieve that knowing 2012 (Q4) - 2013 - 2014 gave them 8-8.5 million.

Takao

Banned
Famitsu Top 10 Digital Sales (October 27th through November 23rd)

01. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang) - 79.576 (100%)
02. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon Company) - 33.524 (2.1%)
03. [3DS] Kirby Fighters Z (Nintendo) - 15.974 (93.5%)
04. [PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition (Mojang) - 14.921 (100%)
05. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4G (Capcom) - 7.591 (3.7%)
06. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) - 6.499 (7.2%)
07. [PS4] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Subtitled Edition (Square Enix) - 5.971 (6.9%)
08. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 (Konami) - 4.151 (8.8%)
09. [PS3] Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (Sega) - 3.553 (8.6%)
10. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 (Konami) -3.528 (12.3%)

Legend:
Sales Rank - Platform - Game Title - Publisher - Estimated Digital Sales - Percentage of total sales (physical+digital) in the tracking period sold digitally

how long until minecraft gets crossover dlc with vita's hunting action games

sörine;144685531 said:
In your example the level creator would just be inaccessible without a Gamepad. Smash is still playable with a Pro Controller but the level creator would be the sort of additional content a core owner might want to upgrade for.
This is not a fair response. You are constructing your entire argument out of one example i gave among many that exist. Is not humanly possible for me to cite every single game that would need to be patched, nor i can't be bullet proving every single post i make, because i assume one will infere from the example.

But let me try this again. This is a list of retail games (leaving eShop for simplicity) out of memory that would be practically imcomplete or umplayable:

Wii Fit, Zombi U, Nintendo Land, Wario Ware, Rayman Legends, Wii Party, Mario 3D World, Wii Sports, Captain Toad, NSMBU.

Future ones:
Splatoon (map shortcut although not quite clear yet), Mario Maker, Kirby Canvas, Star Fox and the 2 Miyamoto Projects if they come to fruition.

For a company that has been losing money for several quarters and for a CEO which head is under the guillotine if dropping the Gamepad was a viable solution the measures would have been taken promptly.

Also bear in mind my conclusions are drawn from a vast stream of posts i' ve been making in the thread. Is not reasonable to throw down all those arguments by replaying how trivial would be to take the Gamepad out of Smah Bros.

Edit: And to clarify, the above is not meant to be an agressive response XD

Would really, really love that for once the costs discussions of the Wii U involved more than the token asumptions we always end up doing withouth any solid base.

The culprit of the costs is always the Gamepad. What i do know is that the expert that did the CPU and GPU disection estimated the costs of the MCM at the 90 price range. That is the most expensive component in the device that i know of. And that decision was one with little benefits outside of the NIntendo comfort bubble.

With the above aside:

You don't see the redesign for the Gamepad happening?

Top Bottom