• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA IV: The Lost and Damned - Hands-On Previews Out Today

Embargo for hands-on previews is lifted at 18:00 UK time, 13:00 Eastern.

The usual roster of Rockstar's choice sites will be publishing. They're usually listed out first on some of the GTA sites like gta4.net. Some previews are typically more detailed than others. (Here's a Chinatown Wars thread from earlier this week, for reference). Clealry I have an interest since I hope people will check out our preview - our Chinatown one received good feedback.

A whole set of wicked new screenshots are going to hit at the same time.

All I'll say about the episode for now is, it's meaty, there are plenty of surprises and new details, and you'll like it. :)

Edit: here they are.

http://games.kikizo.com/features/gta-iv-the-lost-and-damned-hands-on-p1.asp

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-theft-auto-iv-the-lost-and-damned-hands-on

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/LostandDamned.aspx

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=206492

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/947/947252p1.html

http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/947/947267p1.html

http://kotaku.com/5137087/hands+on-with-grand-theft-auto-iv-the-lost-and-damned

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/g.../a-20090122153825218073/g-2006051014323586065

Cool, I'll look forward to seeing what additions to the gameplay (if any) Rockstar have implemented

*please let there be more activities please let there be more activities activities let them be more*

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. I'm looking forward to getting some sense of scale from a gameplay perspective (how long is it? mission variety? etc).

soqquatto

"wicked new screenshot" often aren't, since rockstar is fond of those they call beauty shot where you don't have any interface, depth of field is altered and there's often a good deal of photoshop deftness in terms of color. I was astonished at seeing the chinatown screen with interface et al, but I guess there's no much to "beautify" in a ds game (praise the lord).

also, given the kind of freedom rockstar gives to "journalists" I don't really care for these features. I still somewhat like their products but reading about them beforehand is officially useless.

of course I worked in the field, for a long, long time.

Rez>You said:
Interesting. I'm looking forward to getting some sense of scale from a gameplay perspective (how long is it? mission variety? etc).

Yeah, the achievements didn't tell us a whole lot. Looking forward to the bike races though, closest we'll get to a free roaming Road Rash for a while.

mandiller

I don't much care for the missions but if there are a ton of new weapons, vehicles and cheats then I'm all in. There needs to be more fun stuff to do in the city.

Jetpacks, parachutes, flamethrowers, tanks?

FrankT

mandiller said:
I don't much care for the missions but if there are a ton of new weapons, vehicles and cheats then I'm all in. There needs to be more fun stuff to do in the city.

Jetpacks, parachutes, flamethrowers, tanks?

Yes, yes, yes, but will they really go that direction, who knows. I hope it is meaty like the OP says, but all that stuff would be icing on the cake.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
The Euphoria physics engine is amazing and I would really like R* to add some elements which rely on it and nothing but it.

Don't care about thinks like Tanks and over the top wackiness.

Do care about a good decently lengthy story and a more diverse mission variety than GTA 4.

Also would be nice to hear that the bikes physics and control have been re-tooled a bit because they were a bit wonky in the original.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
shuri said:
Sorry, Rockstar's PR departement's antics don't make me trust any of those previews, even reviews.

This. It surprises me people continue to forget how shady these mofos are.

AndyD

aka andydumi
shuri said:
Sorry, Rockstar's PR departement's antics don't make me trust any of those previews, even reviews.

This.

It needs to add a lot of activities and a decent amount of missions that aren't just stupid chases. Plus improve some of the engine issues. A few weapons, a few new bike and car models and a few new character skins wont do.

If anything I'm excited to ramrod around Liberty as a potentially badass biker. IMO this should've been the main game! I definitely hope they've added some new things/locations/activities. Let me buy property! Or build a bike or something!! And man, the Euphoria engine. My favorite part of the game!!

*As a side note, some ex-Rockstar devs are developing a game called "Ride to Hell". Not sure if it's been discussed on here, but 1960's + Hell's Angels-esque biker gang sounds pretty sweet to me.

Tobor

Guled said:
after GTA4, I wouldn't trust VG sites on their opinion of this DLC

After GTA4, I won't trust most GAFfers on their opinion of the DLC either.

EDIT to be more clear: GTA4 = A great game, Majority of GAFfers = Lousy opinions

Jesus are people still playing the review card? GTA4 was still named GOTY by several outlets, months after initial reviews. It was a phenomenal game deserving of its reviews. Just because you were disappointed by it doesn't mean that there were not adequate qualities within the game to be found and praised by reviewers.

MacBosse

Damn some of you people really seem to hate GTAIV. Sure, it was hyped to hell but it was, in the end, a damn fine game. Seems to be the cool thing to do going around and trashtalk GTAIV ... avoid the mainsteam opinion at all cost my emo children!

guise

Has it been talked about whether you are forced into using bikes for the expansion?

I hated the bikes in GTA4.

FrankT

Kafel said:
expected.

Aye, although looks like I will be picking up more of those $18 1600pt cards from Amazon again. Sure would be nice if Target ran another one of those sales before then.

FrankT

The Lost and Damned to take anywhere from 12-20 hours to complete. And that's just the single-player story. For $20 (1,600 MSP), L&D offers a full-fledged campaign, new locations, new mini-games (arm wrestling!), refined gameplay mechanics, new vehicles, new weapons, a hefty new soundtrack, new DJs, new TV shows, new Internet sites, and new multiplayer. One thing's for certain: Rockstar isn't dicking around with horse armor.

GTA IV: The Lost and the Damned is looking like one of the best deals around. You're essentially getting a full game for just 20 bucks. While we haven't been given any details on the multiplayer, we're told it's as robust an offering as the single-player. Oh, and if you've noticed L&D listed for sale at a retail outlet such as GameStop, know that this is not a disc. It's just a card with a code you can enter on Xbox Live to download the DLC.

12-20 hours? Damn that is like a new game. Don't play Hilary.

Smokey

Tobor said:
After GTA4, I won't trust most GAFfers on their opinion of the DLC either.

EDIT to be more clear: GTA4 = A great game, Majority of GAFfers = Lousy opinions

THIS

fucking sick of the gta4 hate. it's like it's the cool thing to do nowadays so why not!!?
The Lost and Damned to take anywhere from 12-20 hours to complete. And that's just the single-player story. For $20 (1,600 MSP), L&D offers a full-fledged campaign, new locations, new mini-games (arm wrestling!), refined gameplay mechanics, new vehicles, new weapons, a hefty new soundtrack, new DJs, new TV shows, new Internet sites, and new multiplayer. One thing's for certain: Rockstar isn't dicking around with horse armor.

yessir!!

It sounds like I thought it would, fucking excellent. Can't wait to hear about the multiplayer, I would bet Road Rash style racing is a definite but I would love to see co-op missions with teams hijacking trucks full of expensive gear.

Not sure about riding in the logo to hear more dialogue, going to need to see that in action. I hope they didn't tweak the handling too much because of the bitches that couldn't handle them in vanilla GTA4 :lol

Top Bottom