• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2014 (Dec 15 - Dec 21)

Busaiku

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised it took so long for Super Smash Bros for 3DS to outdo the weeklies for Super Smash Bros for Wii U (assuming that happened last week).
I thought the streams would've crossed by the 3rd week.

Amiibo start getting rare in Japan too?

Zelda, Falcon and Villager sold-out

SEGA 3D Archives and Magic High School sold-out

home were destroyed by handhelds, handhelds were destroyed by smartphones/tablet, will this thing destroy everything ???

Ladies and Gentlemen, Youkai Pad is approaching to Japan...

Darius

Banned
http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html
3HaWoXX.jpg

Final Fantasy Explorers seems to have a decent second week. It´s quite interesting to see how it managed to easily outsell Phantasy Star Nova by quite a margin even (1st week and it also looks to track quite better in its second week as well).

FFEX seems to be popular across Amazon preorders and Tsutaya rankings, but let's how much it'll drop. A 70% drop would put it at around 50.000 units.

Oregano

Judging from the walkthrough it seems they shipped 250K of FFEX. It's good to see it might actually get through it.

monpiece

Banned
Nintendo's financials have been bad for a while. They may post some profit instead of loss this time, but I wouldn't say that is rolling on money like some people assume they do just because they have lots of games in Japanese charts.

Nintendo's financials have been bad for a while. They may post some profit instead of loss this time, but I wouldn't say that is rolling on money like some people assume they do just because they have lots of games in Japanese charts.

That surely doesn't hurt. Traditional console industry is carried by 3DS alone.

They already posted profit in the last quarter.

As hiska already pointed out, they Yen is quite weak these days and Nintendo generates most of their revenue outside of Japan, so this is already a plus.

They'll probably sell more software than last year and their biggest benefit is that they probably reduced their hardware production costs even more.

If nothing wen't really wrong they should be quite fine for this quarter.

Edit: Yes, is it's not comparable to the profitable years from Wii/NDS-era, but they should concentrate to get back generating ongoing profits.

L~A

They already posted profit in the last quarter.

As hiska already pointed out, they Yen is quite weak these days and Nintendo generates most of their revenue outside of Japan, so this is already a plus.

They'll probably sell more software than last year and their biggest benefit is that they probably reduced their hardware production costs even more.

If nothing wen't really wrong they should be quite fine for this quarter.

Edit: Yes, is it's not comparable to the profitable years from Wii/NDS, but they should concentrate to get back generating ongoing profits.

What's more, they've already "paid" the loss on the Wii U units sold (the one due to the price drop last year), meaning they're not losing that much money anymore (still not enough to make a profit, sadly).

It's pretty clear what he meant with "rolling on money man" .

Spoiler: It wasn't meant to herald the great return of Wii-era profits.

L~A

You guys are forgetting the fat stacks of cash from themes, stickers and Amiibos.

Yeah, amiibo should generate some nice cash, indeed. Not nearly as much as Skylanders / DI, but still nothing to sneeze at.

I wish they'll share concrete numbers on January 29 (investor meeting).

Edit: abou theme and stickers, I presume it falls in their "digital sales" category, but I'd like some concret numbers too.

Right. There's far more money to be made in the West in the console space but due to Nintendo's situation in the West, Japanese charts and figures may prove to be even more vital. Thats what I think.

It would be disastrous if they did not make a profit in the holiday quarter though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Nintendo posted profit not loss last quarter.

Final Fantasy Explorers seems to have a decent second week. It´s quite interesting to see how it managed to easily outsell Phantasy Star Nova by quite a margin even (1st week and it also looks to track quite better in its second week as well).

It's only interesting in the sense of inspecting the complete collapse of the Phantasy Star Nova sales. Just 4 months ago Sony had a strong selling monster-hunting game on Vita in Freedom Wars; now Square-Enix have a strong selling monster-hunting game on 3DS in Final Fantasy Explorers.

It's really pointing to the fact that the Phantasy Star underperformance was down to the game/IP itself rather than anything else.

Oregano

It's only interesting in the sense of inspecting the complete collapse of the Phantasy Star Nova sales. Just 4 months ago Sony had a strong selling monster-hunting game on Vita in Freedom Wars; now Square-Enix have a strong selling monster-hunting game on 3DS in Final Fantasy Explorers.

It's really pointing to the fact that the Phantasy Star underperformance was down to the game/IP itself rather than anything else.

We've yet to see FFEX's second week sales so lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

I think people are getting way over defensive about Phantasy Star Nova's performance as well. It wasn't a badly received game at all, especially not when comparing it to FFEX and Freedom Wars. It likely just wasn't appealing enough on a system where PSO2 is available for free.

EDIT:
Did it erase the bad results of the last years?

If you're playing that game then those bad results were barely a blip compared to the few years beforehand.

Scum

We've yet to see FFEX's second week sales so lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

I think people are getting way over defensive about Phantasy Star Nova's performance as well. It wasn't a badly received game at all, especially not when comparing it to FFEX and Freedom Wars. It likely just wasn't appealing enough on a system where PSO2 is available for free.

EDIT:

If you're playing that game then those bad results were barely a blip compared to the few years beforehand.

Good ol' Sega.

F2P REALLY is a risky business. A lot could just also be fit with just playing the free base game and not pay a single dime, so why would they play PSN? Have we heard of PSO2's revenue to judge?

Darius

Banned

Considering the sales trajectory has declined considerably compared to the 1st Half (or to be more precise the first 2/3) of the year despite the second half generally beeing the far more lucrative period, I doubt that´s the major reason.

You are just blaming the game/IP. Are you implying that this game in particular wouldn´t have sold more on 3DS? I think the general market situation in favour and also a not established spin-off in the same genre performing considerably better suggest otherwise. Since there really doesn´t seem to be such a huge difference in quality between FFEX and PSN in favour of the former.

monpiece

Banned
There is a large difference between posting many years of one kind of result and one quarter of another kind. You can't say there is a trend unless you have enough data to support there is a trend.

But Nintendo is so well that they will buy Japan by 2017 and US by 2021.

guit3457

There is a large difference between posting many years of one kind of result and one quarter of another kind. You can't say there is a trend unless you have enough data to support there is a trend.

Stop.

You're exaggerating this discussion to a nonsensical point.

Everyone knows they made losses in the last years. Fact is also, they're going to make money now.

Votron said they're rolling on money. disclaimer: this is a hyperbolic joke, but true

You said: Until they release their financials

Fact is, they're going to release their financials with a plus, their past losses won't change this.

As great as it's to see Nintendo back in a profits I just don't know how long they will manage to cut the costs and monetize their shrinking market share. We will probably see another decline in their revenue yoy this quarter and considering the outlooks of WiiU and 3DS for next year there is going to be another decline. They will also probably see rise in their R&D costs as 4DS can't be that far way (2016). Well maybe they will prove me wrong.

Darius

Banned

What have past fiscal years to do with your comment "Till they release their financials."

Don´t tell me that you didn´t refer to the upcoming reports, before your remark backfired.

monpiece

Banned
You're exaggerating this discussion to a nonsensical point.

Everyone knows they made losses in the last years. Fact is also, they're going to make money now.

Votron said they're rolling on money. disclaimer: this is a hyperbolic joke, but true

You said: Until they release their financials

Fact is, they're going to release their financials with a plus, their past losses won't change this.

We don't know yet their financials (yearly, for the record) to say the problems that they faced in the last few years are a thing of the past. Sony has posted profits in some quarters, but their results have been bad for many years. They may have tons of money to burn from the past, but it doesn't change the fact that things are not fine on Sony.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
We don't know yet their financials (yearly, for the record) to say the problems that they faced in the last few years are a thing of the past. Sony has posted profits in some quarters, but their results have been bad for many years. They may have tons of money to burn from the past, but it doesn't change the fact that things are not fine on Sony.

You change goalposts at every post you make trying to prove yourself right when it's so easy to admit you had no idea Nintendo made profit last quarter.

Spiegel

Considering the sales trajectory has declined considerably compared to the 1st Half (or to be more precise the first 2/3) of the year despite the second half generally beeing the far more lucrative period, I doubt that´s the major reason.

You are just blaming the game/IP. Are you implying that this game in particular wouldn´t have sold more on 3DS? I think the general market situation in favour and also a not established spin-off in the same genre performing considerably better suggest otherwise. Since there really doesn´t seem to be such a huge difference in quality between FFEX and PSN in favour of the former.

Can't it be just as likely that FF Explorers has the novelty of being the first FF MH clone and the quality of the game matters very little? + ~Christmas release helping with softer drops.

It has happened in the past
http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/3446

Then the sequel tanked badly and only hit those numbers thanks to bomba bins
http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/3908

It's not like Explorers is a massive seller. And Phantasy Star Nova underperformed (by a lot) compared to the initial expectations when everyone was expecting the game to be Phantasy Star Portable 3. It happens.

You are talking like Final Fantasy is a niche brand in Japan and miraculously the game is selling by the power of the 3DS.

Was 3DS a bad platform for MH clones because the one with One Piece underperformed compared to other One Piece games? No. It simply didn't click with people at that time.

As great as it's to see Nintendo back in a profits I just don't know how long they will manage to cut the costs and monetize their shrinking market share. We will probably see another decline in their revenue yoy this quarter and considering the outlooks of WiiU and 3DS for next year there is going to be another decline. They will also probably see rise in their R&D costs as 4DS can't be that far way (2016). Well maybe they will prove me wrong.
They forecasted a decrease in R&D (as well as marketing) cost for this year.

4DS research started with the release of the 3DS, home console research with the release of the Wii U, the largest part about the Research is probably already done.

Revenue will go down because of decreased hardware sales (though, the weak Yen could help), but they should achieve decent profits regardless.

We probably won't see much change because the 3DS hardware sales are going down and Wii U doesn't sell well either way, they can only maximize their profits until their next generation launches & QOL.

Oregano

Was 3DS a bad platform for MH clones because the one with One Piece underperformed compared to other One Piece games? No. It simply didn't click with people at that time.

I'm not disagreeing with you but One Piece: Unlimited Red wasn't any more of a MonHun clone than the Unlimited games that came before it.

I think this being the first FF spin-off on 3DS also contributed to some extent. (Unless I am missing some other game?)

monpiece

Banned
You change goalposts at every post you make trying to prove yourself right when it's so easy to admit you had no idea Nintendo made profit last quarter.

It was you that invented a goalpost. Who said that I was talking about a quarter at the beginning? Nintendo has always show strong sales on holidays, but it didn't change the fact that the last few years' financials were not good.

I don't see any importance in using the most recent quarter for any kind of analysis. The country I live in has been on recession, but the last quarter had a growth of 0.1%. The only people claiming it was a good result was the people discussing politics, trying to defend one political party. I am not here to discuss politics of game market, defending Nintendo or Sony.

I think this being the first FF spin-off on 3DS also contributed to some extent. (Unless I am missing some other game?)

Well, there is Theathrhythm, but it is from an unrelated genre. And there is the "unnoficial" FF too, Bravely Default.

test_account

XP-39C²
Can't it be just as likely that FF Explorers has the novelty of being the first FF MH clone and the quality of the game matters very little? + ~Christmas release helping with softer drops.

It has happened in the past
http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/3446

Then the sequel tanked badly and only hit those numbers thanks to bomba bins
http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/3908

It's not like Explorers is a massive seller. And Phantasy Star Nova underperformed (by a lot) compared to the initial expectations when everyone was expecting the game to be Phantasy Star Portable 3. It happens.

You are talking like Final Fantasy is a niche brand in Japan and miraculously the game is selling by the power of the 3DS.

I didnt think about the novelty factor. I think that can be a reason for it indeed. I just thought that Final Fantasy is one of the biggest IP, and being on the 3DS (which has sold like ~14 million more units compared to 3DS), it had a bigger sales potential. Personally, i didnt see anything else to take from it other than those factors to why Final Fantasy Explorer sold more than Phantasy Star Nova.

Crom

You have a problem? They will have a profitable quarter. Before that they had a few quarters with losses. Guess what? Before that they had dozens of quarters with profits. Don't know what you are trying to prove.

Oregano

Having the FF name slapped on a game doesn't make it magically sell well. There's a reason Bravely Default wasn't Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light 2.

Top Bottom