• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Trasher said:
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but if you look at the blue base it appears there is a lower level of the base. I didn't notice it until I looked at the larger version of the screenshot.
Yeah, I see it now, too.

basebeneath.jpg

Dirtbag

Mr Vociferous said:
I would not be disappointed if this is the map we got and that's it. Looks sweet. Bundled with Assembly and Orbital, it easily looks like the full $10 worth for me -- specifically for the reasons I stated above. Blue grid or not, the map looks like a lot of fun for someone who loved Halo 2's multiplayer environments.

That being the case, let's think about this logically. We know it's a Forge-centric map. We also know that the lighting looks peculiar here (sun is crossing the horizon 160 degrees, but the light flow drops vertically onto the map at 90 degrees like its high noon, but only on the center of the map only). We also know that the playable area here is just a fraction of the traversable area. There's a ton of cool stuff going on here. Regardless if Forge doesn't let us toggle amongst preset skyboxes, lighting or landscapes, there's a lot of really cool possibilities on this map. My Sanctuary conclusions about Cold Storage yay those many months ago might finally be vindicated! I will make it so!

Perhaps the spotlight we saw in Luke's sketch is shining directly onto the map from above and is not seen from our perspective?

Trasher said:
Btw, Wu, I think I found another one of those weird objects. This one looks like a sniper. :lol It's on one of the 4 stones (that make up the blue base's right wall).

If I am looking at what you are talking about I think it is rockets.

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
Ghal, you disappoint me.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2570xah.jpg[img]

[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/28002c.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Yep, they're just decorative.

Good detective work, Dax!

Trasher

GM Bullfrog said:
If I am looking at what you are talking about I think it is rockets.
Haha, you are right. I initially thought that the angle of the screen was distorting the sniper, but now that I look at it again it definitely appears to be the outline of the rockets.

Trasher said:
Look at the blocks to the right of the ramp going up. It looks like this ramp is sitting on top of one of the bigger blocks. My eyes might be pulling a trick on me, but I swear it looks like there is a bottom level there.

Yeah, I had to zoom in on it in GIMP to see it. There is deff space underneath it.

Edit: Damn I can't wait to get my hands on this map.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Those objects you guys are finding are just standard weapons being affected by an LOD algorithm.

Dirtbag said:
Perhaps the spotlight we saw in Luke's sketch is shining directly onto the map from above and is not seen from our perspective?
Maybe, but I think you can see the area that Luke sketched from, if I'm not mistaken. Either way, the tower shines down at about 140, maybe 130 degrees at best. The light in the image is dropping down at almost 90 degrees exactly.

Now I'm not saying that the lighting will be alterable, but I think it's an interesting default setup given the Forge-ability of the map itself. I mean if the lighting doesn't sync with the skybox perfectly, what does that tell us about the exclusivity of the skybox? Just thinking aloud here, like everyone else of course.

EazyB

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
sandyBRzzzzzzz.jpg

Check it out... That half-shelter is made from two pieces. You can see a fully assembled one in the center of the map, using four pieces.
I noticed this first, dummy.
EazyB said:
You can see some of the forge objects look like parts taken from Sandtrap including a half bunker in front of the hog on the bottom right. Seems like the bases have interiors which is nice. There seems to be a healthy variety of forge objects but I really hope they went all out (I hate how many objects are locked out of random maps).
Dax01 said:
I'm sometimes amazed by how you (and Voc -- AJ says more than enough), sometimes Ghal, and other people like you are able to notice the small things.

I am glad there are people like you. Forge on.
Gimme credit, I want to sometimes amaze you.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Edit: Dax, never noticed that before. Not sure they're the same, but could be.
They're exactly the same, except one's glowing in the dark, and one isn't. It's the same design, at least. They could be lego connectors, but we've already been over the power of could.

EazyB said:
Gimme credit, I want to sometimes amaze you.
Instead of using Flight, use Baby Sinclair (for like pictures and .gifs and stuff).
He's way more awesome than Flight.
Edit:
I must have skipped over your post by accident. Hadn't noticed that either, thanks.

Dirtbag

Mr Vociferous said:
Maybe, but I think you can see the area that Luke sketched from, if I'm not mistaken. Either way, the tower shines down at about 140, maybe 130 degrees at best. The light in the image is dropping down at almost 90 degrees exactly.

Now I'm not saying that the lighting will be alterable, but I think it's an interesting default setup given the Forge-ability of the map itself. I mean if the lighting doesn't sync with the skybox perfectly, what does that tell us about the exclusivity of the skybox? Just thinking aloud here, like everyone else of course.

Did you catch this post Cocop pointed out earlier (I actually couldn't find it in the thread to link to, not sure where it's from but):

Falagard said:
Everyone's living in a dream world.

World geometry uses baked lightmaps. We haven't seen any examples of fully dynamically lit world geometry (terrain and non forge geometry) yet in Halo 3, we're not going to see it now.

There's also no way that they added a full terrain editor into Forge in the last title update.

The reason why Foundry and Sandbox are in dark lighting conditions is because Forge objects don't cast shadows, and when you have large objects such as structures that don't cast shadows it looks horrible in a fully lit environment.

I don't think you'll be seeing different skybox options because of the lighting problems.

I think this explains more about the lighting coming straight down than anything else.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Dax01 said:
Instead of using Flight, use Baby Sinclair (for like pictures and .gifs and stuff).
He's way more awesome than Flight.
Edit:
I must have skipped over your post by accident. Hadn't noticed that either, thanks.

Were you even alive when Dinosaurs was on TV, or did you find some Netflix iron pyrite?

I hope that ther eis away to delete the ground and create abysses so that we can make Lockout and Ascension. This would also make creating a barrier much easier than placing walls.
Changing the enviroment and the skins of the blocks would be awesome, but I doubt that will happen. Snow, grass, Forerunner, Human, Covenant skins would be awesome. Current sand theme is a bit boring.

The light filters look awesome, let's pray for more complicated ones in the release.

Trasher

Shishka said:
Were you even alive when Dinosaurs was on TV, or did you find some Netflix iron pyrite?
:lol :lol
I just looked it up. Came out in 1991, and Dax was born in 1992. So he and the baby are probably the exact same age.

Shishka said:
The show ran from '91 to '94: I was born in '92, so, yeah. I remember my mom and dad letting me rent some of the episodes on VHS from the local videostore.

Fast forward to now. It's been years since I thought of the show. Then the recent NeoGAF dinosaur thread appears, somebody posts a picture of the show, I remember, I go to youtube, and it's still awesome. I'm trying to save enough money to buy the complete series on DVD.

Dax01 said:
The show ran from '91 to '94: I was born in '92, so, yeah. I remember my mom and dad letting me rent some of the episodes on VHS from the local videostore.

Fast forward to now. It's been years since I thought of the show. Then the recent NeoGAF dinosaur thread appears, somebody posts a picture of the show, I remember, I go to youtube, and it's still awesome. I'm trying to save enough money to buy the complete series on DVD.

Dax that piggy bank is for college, I don't think your parents would be happy. ;)

EazyB

Banned
Even if the mine-triggering barrier posts can be moved to decrease and increase the area of the map, the hills of sand make for really poor terrain to build on. Unless forge will allow you to set an object to a specific height and freely merge those objects into the hilly environment there's not much forgers will be able to make out there.

Ways around this could be forcing objects to merge with the environment much like forgers do now but it'll be even more difficult to pull off on the hills. You could also build above the hills but that too would be a painstaking process without a flat ground to build off of.

A cool idea though: maybe you could build above the outside minefield so that falling off would ensure one's death (much like an infinite abyss would). And if the minefield barriers can be moved you wouldn't have to build over the hills (which is hard, I've tried building a level above Avalanche's outside cliff) but could instead build off the flat ground and delete the bottom layer, creating a floating level.

Captain Blood said:
Dax that piggy bank is for college, I don't think your parents would be happy. ;)
Haha.

Speaking of a piggy bank, I have something similar: a coin jar. It's been at least six years (wow, six) since I started saving change. Last time I counted, there was $458 in it, give or take a couple of dollars. With the economy the way it is, I may have to resort to spending it soon, especially with KZ2 and Halo Wars coming up. I'm also hooked on 'The West Wing" (love it, I'm on the second season and I will be purchasing more season), and I want all episodes of "Dinosaurs" on DVD. =(

Very glad we finally got to see a picture of Sandbox; an awesome surprise for today. Thank you, Domino, for finding it. =)

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Dax01 said:
I'm also hooked on 'The West Wing" (love it, I'm on the second season and I will be purchasing more season), and I want all episodes of "Dinosaurs" on DVD. =(

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you: The West Wing and Dinosaurs referenced in the same breath.

EazyB

Banned
Shishka said:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you: The West Wing and Dinosaurs referenced in the same breath.
:lol

It's stuff like that which makes it impossible for me to put Dax on ignore.

Shishka said:
Have you seen "The West Wing?" It's an amazing show. More amazing than Dinosaurs, but Dinosaurs is still awesome.

EazyB said:
:lol

It's stuff like that which makes it impossible for me to put Dax on ignore.
Aw. <3

GhaleonEB

Shishka said:
The transition from Dinosaurs to The West Wing. If there's a better summation of puberty, I don't know what it is.

Hang in there Dax. Manhood is coming.

t4ng0

Dax01 said:
Haha.

Speaking of a piggy bank, I have something similar: a coin jar. It's been at least six years (wow, six) since I started saving change. Last time I counted, there was $458 in it, give or take a couple of dollars. With the economy the way it is, I may have to resort to spending it soon, especially with KZ2 and Halo Wars coming up. I'm also hooked on 'The West Wing" (love it, I'm on the second season and I will be purchasing more season), and I want all episodes of "Dinosaurs" on DVD. =(

Very glad we finally got to see a picture of Sandbox; an awesome surprise for today. Thank you, Domino, for finding it. =)
I hate to nitpick - but from some of the pics you've posted on here, I don't think you'll be too affected by this.

The current layout of Sandbox looks ok, the possibilities are amazing though - no more bullshit edges to deal with all the time on Foundry.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I tried to watch Dinosaurs again a few weeks ago. The show doesn't hold up at all. In fact, I don't know how I liked it back in the day. It's awful.

vhfive

hey guess what
i dont give a fuck about dinosaurs the tv show
what i do care about is making sanctuary and microsoft can go fuck itself for making me wait

the only dinosaurs you should care about are ones surfing on squids
4h2kux.jpg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Apparently not. We got a shit hot new sandbox image to drool over but we get dino and west wing talk.

They are awesome, but not Halo awesome.

Blueblur1

Dani said:
Apparently not. We got a shit hot new sandbox image to drool over but we get dino and west wing talk.

They are awesome, but not Halo awesome.
I'm not excited much to be honest. I'd like to see what Sandbox is capable of before I get all hot and bothered. It would help if Shiska hit 'print screen' and showed us the result.

We go pretty OT in this joint but Dinosaurs......really?
Velociraptor is the best Dinosaur ever. Not the one that really existed, but the one from Jurassic Park.

EDIT: I also find it amusing that everyone continues to spells Shishka's name wrong even though he has posted on this page. Is it some kind of passive aggressive tactic?

Kuroyume

Banned
I would be excited if it was Snowbox or something we haven't seen before with the same idea. It looks like Sandtrap so it doesn't feel new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom