• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Good news! Saw my Dr today and she knows her shit, runs a crossfit center, so I refer to her for injuries. Said that I can squat through the pain just not max effort weight. Said to stretch the shit out of it, which I've been doing, but that I'll need deep tissue massage to accelerate recovery.

With that good news and 4hrs of sleep, I just went a bit heavier than 275 today. Did 150-225-275-315-325-335-345-365x5 and 225x20 after for a stretch. There was decent pain on the top sets but it also felt good for the rest of my body. Two months off and a groin tear and there's still some strenf left in my legs lol. I'll reevaluate after each session and see where I should go from there

Nice!

This post needs a food pic though

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Good news! Saw my Dr today and she knows her shit, runs a crossfit center, so I refer to her for injuries. Said that I can squat through the pain just not max effort weight. Said to stretch the shit out of it, which I've been doing, but that I'll need deep tissue massage to accelerate recovery.

With that good news and 4hrs of sleep, I just went a bit heavier than 275 today. Did 150-225-275-315-325-335-345-365x5 and 225x20 after for a stretch. There was decent pain on the top sets but it also felt good for the rest of my body. Two months off and a groin tear and there's still some strenf left in my legs lol. I'll reevaluate after each session and see where I should go from there

Awesome bro, great to hear, damn near scanned past this post with the lack of food in it.

Today seems to be a good news day!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'll try and report as soon as I can, sir!

so, what about this..

PLAN A (all 3x15)
Treadmill - 10 min (warm-up)
Barbell bench press
Incline Barbell bench press
Machine Fly
Dips
Squats
Seated calf raise
Dumbbell lateral raise/holding
Plank
Stationary bike - 10 min.

PLAN B (all 3x15)
Treadmill - 10 min (warm-up)
Pullups
T bar lying row
Cable seated row
Dumbbell bicep curl
Dumbbell Hammer curl
DL
Lying leg curls
Thigh adductor
Dumbbell shoulder press
Crunches
Stationary bike - 10 min.

Still needs a bunch of trimming as there's way too much on there, but I'm headed out the door. Make sure deadlift is 1x5, not 3 sets. It should sap your soul in a good way.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Alright just got a bunch of proper form videos to look at and i think im ready to do things properly. I guess the biggest revelation was the small number of reps accompanied by the constant increase in weight along with the methodical executions. I had some bad form on some exercises using momentum to help me get up to 15 reps etc

grumble

Would you say exercising is just for gaining muscle?

Absolutely not. Exercise is good for many other things. Resistance training is critical because what people are almost always trying to do is lose fat, not lose raw pounds. People want to keep their muscle and lose their fat. Dieting with no exercise, especially no resistance exercise is a great way to end up with no muscle mass and a little more fat than you'd like.

Plus, most people want to lose fat to look better... which is frankly much easier when you have a bigger chest / arms / legs etc making your waist look even smaller. :)

So are Romanian Deadlifts worth doing? I have been doing them because it seems to be easier to keep my back straight, but it seems like no one here actually does them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So are Romanian Deadlifts worth doing? I have been doing them because it seems to be easier to keep my back straight, but it seems like no one here actually does them.

I posted a video about a week ago doing them. Yes they are worth doing, if you do them for the right reason/know why you're doing them.

Hahah maybe next time.

Had a few A&W burgers and the calories helped big time.

Some pizza pockets and beef is my reward.

And nice FS!

Thanks bud!

Sadetar

New awesome people! Yay! Welcome! <3

And holy hell. Today was my Nordic walking day which meant I was around two hours outside walking. It was -22 Celcius / - 8 Fahrenheits. My hair was totally white when I got in since the breathing air froze on it. I guess it is winter.

IM BACK BABY! So happy to not get any more blood drawn and eating right and fucking LIFTING again!
That is absolutely brilliant news! I am so very happy for you! :D

Took about 12 days off from lifting over the holiday season. Bad choice for sure and I regret it now. Day two back at the gym today after a solid workout yesterday. Shoveled a shit ton of snow this morning though which is bad timing since today is deadlift day. So far so good though.

Also that lostsupper guy needs to get the hell our of here.
I was three weeks out of the gym. I went back to gym yesterday as well and I don't honestly remember my muscles being this sore in ages. If I can do anything about it, I will never ever again have this long break.

Thanks! I appreciate that. :3

I've been going on and off for years. I hadn't gone in 1 year and now I've gone back for a month. I'm pretty sure I'm between an ectomorph and a mesomorph body type. Probably a bit more of an ectomorph.
You are very welcome! ^_^

Well, you seem to get a good muscle definition easily, if you have been going again only a month. I am a bit jealous at the moment, since I am totally a true endomorph - short and round.

Lol guy at work said the same thing. While another guy said he doesn't "get me" because I could look jacked if I ate right. Lol.
I am actually now curious that have you ever worked out for aesthetics or always for strenght? I have hard time imagining that you would have ever been particularly small to be honest. You are built like a tank (in the best way possible).

I posted a video about a week ago doing them. Yes they are worth doing, if you do them for the right reason/know why you're doing them.
Yeah been doing them with lighter weights to try to get used of the back straight positions and hip moment, seems to be slowly helping. Maybe one day in the near future I can get my dead lift posture right.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

And holy hell. Today was my Nordic walking day which meant I was around two hours outside walking. It was -22 Celcius / - 8 Fahrenheits. My hair was totally white when I got in since the breathing air froze on it. I guess it is winter.

That is absolutely brilliant news! I am so very happy for you! :D

I was three weeks out of the gym. I went back to gym yesterday as well and I don't honestly remember my muscles being this sore in ages. If I can do anything about it, I will never ever again have this long break.

You are very welcome! ^_^

Well, you seem to get a good muscle definition easily, if you have been going again only a month. I am a bit jealous at the moment, since I am totally a true endomorph - short and round.

I am actually now curious that have you ever worked out for aesthetics or always for strenght? I have hard time imagining that you would have ever been particularly small to be honest. You are built like a tank (in the best way possible).

I posted a picture a while back of me when I was small and did calisthenics and a shit load of running. I did it because I was army infantry. The cool thing is I know how to train for both, so it's funny when people think I don't and just assume I'm a fat powerlifter and know nothing else.

Today was my Nordic walking day which meant I was around two hours outside walking. It was -22 Celcius / - 8 Fahrenheits. My hair was totally white when I got in since the breathing air froze on it. I guess it is winter.

Proper cold, no messing around. The missus loves Nordic walking, but sadly pretty much no-one does it in the UK.

Weights question for the thread. Am I right in thinking that if I don't use olympic weights / bar for deadlifts then I'll need to (or rather should) put the weights on some sort of a platform to start with? I'm assuming the bar will be too low otherwise.

Running HITS during the winter weekends during cold days are usually my favorite thing, I love cold weather running much more then summer running. Two hours in that low of a tempature seems insane though good job.

Yes. I do them and love them. I believe they have helped my DL.
Yeah I see no one at the gym do them and no one seems to talk about them too much, I have been trying to try out different deadlifts types to try to get more normal deadlift form up to par. (still having trouble getting that right)

Sadetar

I posted a picture a while back of me when I was small and did calisthenics and a shit load of running. I didn't because I was army infantry. The cool thing is I know how to train for both, so it's funny when people think I don't and just assume I'm a fat powerlifter and know nothing else.
I think the thing is that you look like you would have been doing heavy lifts for a very long time. I need to add that I wasn't assuming you wouldn't know about anything else - this far you have been able to help everybody what comes to form and different work outs so I actually assumed you must be at least on some level been doing numerous kind of things (I have just hard time actually imagining you to look any smaller than you do). I might need to hunt down that post.

Chipotle!! Extra steak!!!!

Edit: holy shit!!!! I'm no longer a junior!!! Wooooot!!
Congratulations!

You are officially a big boy now. *pat pat*

Proper cold, no messing around. The missus loves Nordic walking, but sadly pretty much no-one does it in the UK.
In here it is quite much non-existing as well. Only me and couple old ladies seem to be doing it. It always makes me feel like a granny. :D

And it was cold! Thank gods I checked the temperature before heading out and was wearing layers on top of layers.

Running HITS during the winter weekends during cold days are usually my favorite thing, I love cold weather running much more then summer running. Two hours in that low of a tempature seems insane though good job.
I couldn't have even imagined of running on that weather! Props for you!

I am with you though - I like cold weather more than ridiculously hot weather. It is easier to add clothes but after some point you can't take off any more.

And thank you! I wasn't actually feeling cold since I had good clothes for being out, but my cheecks were totally red when I was ready to come in.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Pics from when I was an infantry sergeant, could knock out 100 push-ups in 2 min +80 sit-ups in the same time. Had a 5:15 1 mile and 13:02 2 mile time.

tumblr_lxye28Z5861rn03iko1_500.jpg

tumblr_lxye33uckn1rn03iko1_500.jpg

tumblr_lxx47g7Zsg1rn03iko1_500.jpg

tumblr_lxx47rESOx1rn03iko1_500.jpg

I think the thing is that you look like you would have been doing heavy lifts for a very long time. I need to add that I wasn't assuming you wouldn't know about anything else - this far you have been able to help everybody what comes to form and different work outs so I actually assumed you must be at least on some level been doing numerous kind of things (I have just hard time actually imagining you to look any smaller than you do). I might need to hunt down that post.

Well, I've been doing it for going on 6 years right now. So I've kinda been doing it a while, but not as long as some here.

_Isaac

Does anybody ever get slight pain (very very slight) on their inner ankles when you squat? Man, if it's not the ankles it's the hips. Christ, I hate this lift.

Sadetar

Pics from when I was an infantry sergeant, could knock out 100 push-ups in 2 min +80 sit-ups in the same time. Had a 5:15 1 mile and 13:02 2 mile time.
I am looking at the photos and yet I have hard time believing that that is actually you. :D I must be so used to your current looks even if I wouldn't say you were small even back then. How long ago that was? It must have taken a long time to build your current muscle mass.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I am looking at the photos and yet I have hard time believing that that is actually you. :D I must be so used to your current looks even if I wouldn't say you were small even back then. How long ago that was? It must have taken a long time to build your current muscle mass.

Edited the top, but I got out of the army in 2008 (March) and I did it for 5 years (2003-2008)

I've been doing this for about 6 years. (Strength training started In 2009).

Ha, I wouldn't have called you small then either.

Compared to now I was tiny. I was no where near this strong, but I could run for days.

Sadetar

Edited the top, but I got out of the army in 2008 (March) and I did it for 5 years (2003-2008)

I've been doing this for about 6 years. (Strength training started In 2009).
Well yeah, six years is a long time but not that long. I actually thought you would have been doing it for longer when thinking about your built and numbers.

All in all you have been working out for more years than I have been in months. Again I feel like a totaly baby. Thank gods I can use the knowledge of people in here any time I need help.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well yeah, six years is a long time but not that long. I actually thought you would have been doing it for longer when thinking about your built and numbers.

All in all you have been working out for more years than I have been in months. Again I feel like a totaly baby. Thank gods I can use the knowledge of people in here any time I need help.

Yeah, your line of reasoning has lead me to be accused of using steroids once or twice. Both online and in person. Never touched em though, not even a pro hormone or Test of any kind. I guess I just have good genetics. The only sups I take are Creatine, D, ZMA on occasion, fishoil and a multivitamin. And obviously whey

I also got lucky In That I found this thread off the bat and was introduced to Elitefts, and rippetoe very early on. That lead me to other sources of information and got me on the right track right off the bat.

Chocobro

I just saw the most dangerous shit at the gym earlier. A dude picked up his phone in his pocket IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS FUCKING SQUAT. What in the holy fuck

Holy crap. I wouldn't even have my phone in my pockets or answer the phone at all.
But if the person is like Coach Wu Chuanfu, then sure he can answer his phone while squatting lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVFeMgyx8zo

Side-note: Haven't been lifting since before Christmas :( University gym closed during the holidays and I moved to the other side of the US a few days ago. Still settling in and getting used to working and cooking my own meals. I should be able to start lifting again next week.

Didn't want to deal with January gym and I've been running hills the past week so decided to do tabata pushups this evening. I used to do different exercises with the tabata protocol every day after work when I didn't go to the gym, but haven't done them in years.

I used to do 30 seconds on, 30 off with a timer, but I couldn't find one, so found an online program that defaulted to 20 seconds on, 10 off. I figured ok, haven't done them in years, let's start with that.

Holy fucking shit balls am I glad I didn't try 30/30. I went full blast AMRAP for the first 3 sets, and then on the 4th set I could barely get 1 pushup in and then could barely hold myself up for the rest of the 20 seconds. I think I squeezed out 2 pushups in each of the last sets and failed to keep myself upright through the entire work times, but tried my best. The last half was a blur, after every buzzer, I thought shit this has to be the last one right?

Ya, I need to bring this back into my life at least once a week. Will figure out when to fit it in somewhere.

Sadetar

I am doing a cross-post from Real Pic -thread, but since I actually took a recent pic today of my legs, I thought to post it in here as well. This far I am most satisfied with how my legs look like, but they were quite alright to begin with. Upper body needs a whole lot of work still. I will most likely post proper comparison pics on March, when it would be a whole year of going to gym. Ah, still need to be on a cut.

20150107_030408pieni.jpg

Yeah, your line of reasoning has lead me to be accused of using steroids once or twice. Both online and in person. Never touched em though, not even a pro hormone or Test of any kind. I guess I just have good genetics. The only sups I take are Creatine, D, ZMA on occasion, fishoil and a multivitamin. And obviously whey

I also got lucky In That I found this thread off the bat and was introduced to Elitefts, and rippetoe very early on. That lead me to other sources of information and got me on the right track right off the bat.
You are seriously built for strength gains, but you also must have been working your ass off and it is showing! :D

I think I have been also extremely lucky. This thread and my physiotherapist has helped a whole lot. I think I haven't waisted time with fucking around but I have had very clear idea of what I need to be doing at certain times. Also motivation has been high thanks to this thread and awesome people in here. :)

I am doing a cross-post from Real Pic -thread, but since I actually took a recent pic today of my legs, I thought to post it in here as well. This far I am most satisfied with how my legs look like, but they were quite alright to begin with. Upper body needs a whole lot of work still. I will most likely post proper comparison pics on March, when it would be a whole year of going to gym. Ah, still need to be on a cut.

20150107_030408pieni.jpg

You are seriously built for strength gains, but you also must have been working your ass off and it is showing! :D

I think I have been also extremely lucky. This thread and my physiotherapist has helped a whole lot. I think I haven't waisted time with fucking around but I have had very clear idea of what I need to be doing at certain times. Also motivation has been high thanks to this thread and awesome people in here. :)

Your legs aren't the only things to be proud of.....damn

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

20150107_030408pieni.jpg

I appreciate it. Your progress has been pretty good as well. This thread continues to do good things and the people in it, prove it.

Sadetar

Your legs aren't the only things to be proud of.....damn
Thank you! After all Christmas food and forced break I am back on track and promise to work my ass off (again). :D

I appreciate it. Your progress has been pretty good as well. This thread continues to do good things and the people in it, prove it.
Damn, that coming from you means so lot to me! Thank you! ^_^

This thread is absolutely golden. FitGAF is hands down the best GAF.

So yeah, Sadetar. Lovely, um...boots. Looking good!
Hahahah, thank you.

In here I can admit that I am totally flexing and the pose is really flattering. :p But hey, at least I can now look like that in a photo with no make up or anything.

Oh and I by the way do love those boots as well. ;)

Leeness

Sadly he left the city already today and went back to UK. It was entertaining and educating to talk with him though.

My gym opened today so I am back on my normal work out schedules. Feels so good! :D Good to hear that you are continuing as well! We can do this!

Sucks to be poor. Healthy and good food is so much more expensive than the carbonhydrate trash is. Soups are delicious though in my books! :p

Aww. Try to keep in touch with the guy! :D

I'm glad you're back to regularly scheduled work out! Just take it slow with your back.

Pretty much... I'm going to try to keep carbs to soup and fruit though. And the occasional Kraft Dinner... Lol. It was super cheap the other day, I get two servings from a box... I won't eat it more than once a week at least.

Running and plyometrics remind you very quickly who runs the show.

Yep... And I don't even do those (I do ~cardio kickboxing~).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom