• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia |OT| When Death is on the Line

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
Day 1 is always awkward because everyone is settling into their roles and all that.

I think we have the votes for the day to end now, but the question comes down to the two no-posts. Were they just slackers who didn't bother to show up, or do we suspect something more ... sinister ... behind their silence?

I guess we could probably go with Hanlon's razor on that one, but who knows...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
(reposting so it doesn't get lost at the bottom of the page)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Vote Count |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No Lynch: 14 / 14 [Amir0x, nin1000, pants, johnnyquicknives, irfaanator, traube, kingkitty, Zippedpinhead, RobotNinjaHornets, El Topo, Karkador, Lord of Castamere, QuantumBro, Palmer_v1]

Day 1 has ended with a result of No Lynch.

Night 1 has begun. Night 1 will end on Sunday 11th January at approximately 15:00 GMT.

Please do not post in this thread until Night 1 has finished.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Somewhat frustratingly, the next Day will have to be delayed slightly while we wait for prod responses from Xpike, ultron_87, egruntz and tomakasatnav. Sorry to all of you who've turned up on time reliably.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There have been three swift prod responses from ultron_87, egruntz and tomakasatnavl so thank you to those players. We're just waiting on Xpike.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Xpike has had to drop out. I am looking for a replacement, so fingers crossed this will go much faster than last time.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We have a replacement! A warm welcome to StayDead, who'll be taking over from Xpike. The next day will start tomorrow morning when I've had a chance to sleep and then go over everything. :p Hopefully we don't get any more drop-outs and can stick to schedule in the future.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
'twas bright and sunny the next morn, the cheery disposition of the day at odds with the amassed crowd. There were clear signs of poor sleep, as everyone eyed each other up with reddened gazes. After congregating in the restaurant to begin with breakfast - one of the few advantageous of being trapped in a Sicilian hotel with psychotic mafia - the tourists then adjourned to the swimming pool to at the very least relax before beginning the next gruelling voting session.

The only problem was, it's not really normal for swimming pools to be coloured a deep shade of red. In fact, it's even less normal for them to have an assortment of severed body parts scattered around - part of a leg there, an arm there, and there, in the centre, bobbing up and down without a care in the world, the head of Barrylocke, the Old Colonel.

Night 1 has ended. During the night, Barrylocke was killed.

Old Colonel
Welcome!

You are the Old Colonel.

You are aligned with the Tourists.

An old war-hardened retiree, you command respect from all your peers, and the other tourists are more than willing to bow to your authority. Once in this game, you may over-ride any other existing votes to establish an automatic lynch on another player. To do so, post the command OVERRIDE: Crab in the game thread.

You win when only Tourist-aligned players remain.

The game thread is here.

Day 1 has begun. Day 1 will end on Monday 19th January at approximately 14:00 GMT.

You may now resume posting.

Palmer_v1

Ok, that took awhile to get together (or rather took time to actually look at the posts and finish collecting my thoughts) but here's what I'm looking at. I'd like to point out two characters, and a couple of general observations for now.

Nin1000 was Timeasis's most suspicious person in his thoughts post, but personally, I'm not really suspicious of him right now. Nin1000 has two things that appeal to me at this stage of the game, being gungho, and being consistent. The entire time his main focus has been on the game accelerating forward (likely to the juicy bits), and while his flipflop on no vote to vote was kinda weird, he keeps it all with his MO of wanting to move the game into the more interesting days. While I'm not the biggest fan of blazing ahead blindly, I do note his singlemindedness to make him look ok in my eyes.

Foshy was another person that I noted. His posts kind of came off as vaguely helpful to me. He was unsure as to what could be done early on, and slowly leaned to not lynching when it seemed like that was how the town was leaning. He ultimately voted in the middle of the pack for the no lynch. In addition, he was the first to unvote when I made my plea to hold off on voting so soon. This last bit is minor, but I was already somewhat suspicious of him before hand, and this made it stick out even more. To me this all feels potentially scummy. It seems like a player that is trying to stay in good graces so they don't come off as suspicious, something that mafia needs more than anyone else (as others aren't suspicious and generally have an easier time proving how not suspicious they are)

Another thing worth noting, starting with johnnyquicknives and going forward for the next 7 minutes, there's 5 votes for No Lynch. Generally, Mafia like to vote along with the pack when they aren't voting with specific goals in mind, so that they don't seem suspicious. I feel like there's at least 1 mafia member within this dogpile, possibly more.

Finally, I'll point out that Duress, ultron_87, and Xpike have still not checked in the pregame or in day 1. I would definitely love for those beloved vacationers to catch up on the conversation and lay down whatever thoughts they may have on it all.

That's all from me. I was really hoping to hear what nin1000's thoughts were since they promised having some, but it seems like that may not happen tonight at least.

Barry's last words, in case we can learn anything from them. R.I.P.

ultron87

*stretches* Oh dear. I probably shouldn't have slept through our entire first day here at this lovely resort. Time to check out the breakfast bar!

Hmm, everyone I pass in the halls seems in a bad mood. That's odd. Hope I didn't miss anything important!

Oh god, there are corpses and we seem to be trapped in some sort of death game. Well, this is awkward. Ahem.

I could claim that staying silent the entire first day was some brilliant tactical maneuver on my part. But it really isn't from basically any perspective. If I was Mafia that'd just cast some suspicion on me that I wouldn't want and if I was a tourist, which is, naturally, the truth, it doesn't help the good guys for me to not chime in, even during the first day when no one has any valuable information at all. This was pointed out by the poor departed Barry. So yeah, it was just a total cock up on my part based on not subscribing to the thread.

I do agree with you all not killing anyone yesterday. Odds are it would have just knocked out an innocent for no actual gain. So initially that makes me suspicious of anyone who supported the opposite plan.

This first Mafia target seems like a pretty obvious "kill one of the people talking a lot" play. We could look closer at the people that Barry was suspicious of, but killing someone because they mentioned a name just seems like way too obvious a move for the Mafia to consider seriously at this point of the game with this many people. Especially in forum mafia where we have a record of everything someone said AND the mafia has some time to consider and debate their moves instead of the in-person mafia night period of frantic pointing and silent arguing facial expressions.

I think I need some time to process this.

It makes me wonder if the mafia chose this kill at random, an educated kill (based on the fact that Barry wanted to slow down yesterday before we all turned in) or if they have some way of telling what our occupations are?

pants

Well Barry clearly said something that set the cat among the pigeons. The GOOD NEWS - one person died so they dont have an assassin.

Kalor

It's a shame that we've lost Barry so early. His ability had the opportunity to be useful. I can think of possible three reasons for his death.

1. He pointed the blame at one or more of the mafia members and if he connected the dots once he could do it again.
2. It was a random kill.
3. They killed the one who was talking the most.

If the mafia does have special roles, we won't see that influence kills until Night 2 or todays lynching round since they should only be getting information now.

Foshy

This sucks. RIP Barry. I mean the people who talk the most and try to do the detective work are obvious targets, but it would've been better if the mafia killed some afk people.

I don't think the kill was random. I doubt they knew his role already, just getting pesky people out of the way.

Well Barry clearly said something that set the cat among the pigeons. The GOOD NEWS - one person died so they dont have an assassin.

I wouldn't exclude that possibility yet, it could also be that we had a doc/bodyguard who prevented a second kill. Let's see what happens in Night 2.

Palmer_v1

Do we know that for certain? Say we had the witch equivalent. Someone who could save someone's life at night. Would we know that had happened in this version of the game?

Zatoth

Do we know that for certain? Say we had the witch equivalent. Someone who could save someone's life at night. Would we know that had happened in this version of the game?

I think that would be a Doctor, right?
"A Doctor is a role that targets a player at Night to protect that player from a single kill made during that Night. They are not told if their protection was successful. Protection from a single kill means that if multiple players try to kill someone, they will not be saved by one Doctor's protection."
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Doctor

So unless the Doctor tells us about it, we wouldn't know. And I highly doubt the Doctor would tell is.

RIP Barry

I doubt this was a reactionary kill. The Mafia likely choose someone they thought was the strongest player out of everyone who posted yesterday. Lynching someone from Barry's post could easily end with either a quick Mafia lynch or a play right into their hands. Then again I may be giving them too much credit. They could have just have picked a name out of a hat.

The GOOD NEWS - one person died so they dont have an assassin.

or a third party serial killer, but we might still have a Joker. We must stay vigilant, considering Crab mentioned the third party role in the recruitment thread, it's entirely possible that there's a third party role of some kind.

The Mafia my not be our only enemy.

As others said a doc may have saved someone though.

Palmer_v1

"A Doctor is a role that targets a player at Night to protect that player from a single kill made during that Night. They are not told if their protection was successful. Protection from a single kill means that if multiple players try to kill someone, they will not be saved by one Doctor's protection."

So unless the Doctor tells us about it, we wouldn't know. And I highly doubt the Doctor would tell is.

Oh, so the doctor is more like the town guard in werewolf. There's usually a witch doctor in werewolf games that has two single-use abilities. Once a game, they can revive someone who died that night, and once a game, they can kill someone with poison.

Foshy

Yup, that's it. And the doctor should definitely stay quiet. I have some ideas about what we could try though.

1) If we have a cop (or equivalent role) and he discovered a mafia member, they could come out and say it and we'll have the doctor protect them at night.

The catch: When the doc dies, we're fucked because the cop will die the next night too.

2) Otherwise, if the cop discovered someone to be innocent, we could have them act as a mouthpiece. In that case, the cop would write them a PM and they could post the results of the investigations here in topic for all to see. In that case, the cop wouldn't have to reveal themselves to everyone.

The catch: The cop isn't protected from random mafia kills. Also, if he contacts a godfather, he's dead.

I think we should assume there's a Doctor, since it's a basic role. The Doctor shouldn't announce who they are though.

If there's a cop, they should announce themselves and let us know what they learned last night. That way the Doctor will also know who to protect.

Anyone want to start pointing fingers for a lynch?

2) Otherwise, if the cop discovered someone to be innocent, we could have them act as a mouthpiece. In that case, the cop would write them a PM and they could post the results of the investigations here in topic for all to see. In that case, the cop wouldn't have to reveal themselves to everyone.

All discussion is restricted to this thread, so that's not a possibility.

Unless the cop is specifically allowed to send PMs, Rule 2 would make that impossible.

*Yawn*

Apologies for sleeping through all of yesterday everyone, I think someone slipped something into my drink! Probably those darn mafia.

Timeaisis

Dammit, Barry. RIP. Lost a strong player, for sure.

It's a shame that we've lost Barry so early. His ability had the opportunity to be useful. I can think of possible three reasons for his death.

1. He pointed the blame at one or more of the mafia members and if he connected the dots once he could do it again.
2. It was a random kill.
3. They killed the one who was talking the most.

If the mafia does have special roles, we won't see that influence kills until Night 2 or todays lynching round since they should only be getting information now.

Yup, pretty much this. Although I'd possibly alter 3 to "killed the one that had strong analysis". Not necessarily talking the most, but potentially having reasoned skills to point out threats in the future. Basically, a kill to prevent him from causing trouble for them in the future.

I'll ad a 4th though, and that's to through us off. Barry did name someone before dying: Foshy. His death could be a mafia ploy to get us to bandwagon against Foshy, as he was the prime suspect of Barry. This, I think, is a too obvious a ploy, though. Mafia would never be that obvious. Or maybe they would.

So not only have they got us stuck out here fearing for our lives but now they've fucked up my morning swim. gutted.

RIP Barry.

Are there any common roles that might counter a doctors protection? I'l need to go back over the first day and see if I can glean anything from the posts.

Timeaisis

I will say I'm much less suspicious of Foshy at this point based on instinct. I don't think mafia would risk killing someone who clearly pointed the finger at them before the person died.

So, Foshy, you are alright in my eyes for now. Sorry for being suspicious of you before.

Also a cop definitely shouldn't unveil themselves unless they have uncovered a mafia player. Doing it earlier seems like an unnecessary risk, even if a doctor was likely able to protect them.

Palmer_v1

Aside from his suspicions about Foshy, I did think there was some merit to what Barry pointed out about voting patterns. Particularly, that 7 minute cluster of No Lynch votes from the following, in order:

johnnyquicknives
Foshy
irfaanator
traube
kingkitty

I had another rough night last night
I sleepwalk when drunk
, so it'll be a while before I go through to see if they did anything else odd. Any other opinions about that?

kingkitty

nin1000 said I was suspicious for voting no-lynch without a reason/disappearing after voting.

but if you read through the thread, I already gave my reason here:

i have but usually there was only like 2 mafia.

if mafia can only kill one person, then it's a different matter, and I would learn closer to no lynch.

and that's connected to a longer discussion over the mechanics of the game.

nin1000

Banned
Yeah, sorry about ignoring your post kingkitty. Was not my intention. I was much more interested in everyone just chiming in into the discussion or giving some comments on the 1st day.

Zatoth

Aside from his suspicions about Foshy, I did think there was some merit to what Barry pointed out about voting patterns. Particularly, that 7 minute cluster of No Lynch votes from the following, in order:

johnnyquicknives
Foshy
irfaanator
traube
kingkitty

I had another rough night last night
I sleepwalk when drunk
, so it'll be a while before I go through to see if they did anything else odd. Any other opinions about that?

My reason for just was voting, as already said, was that I was going to bed and I thought we were already agreeing to go with no lynch on the first.

For me the only alternative would have been to go with one of the inactive players. As was suggested by Kalor.

I've been between the two crowds but we could vote for an inactive person. We could wait until the weekend and select from a list of whoever hasn't posted from the start.

pants

Crab, can you clear something up for me please: Will doctor, cop, assassination events be hinted at in the text? In the games I used to play the game master would put in the text that someone was blocked, someone was healed etc without names.

Can we assume that if you dont mention an action in the flavour text it didnt happen?

Dammit, Barry. RIP. Lost a strong player, for sure.

Yup, pretty much this. Although I'd possibly alter 3 to "killed the one that had strong analysis". Not necessarily talking the most, but potentially having reasoned skills to point out threats in the future. Basically, a kill to prevent him from causing trouble for them in the future.

I'll ad a 4th though, and that's to through us off. Barry did name someone before dying: Foshy. His death could be a mafia ploy to get us to bandwagon against Foshy, as he was the prime suspect of Barry. This, I think, is a too obvious a ploy, though. Mafia would never be that obvious. Or maybe they would.

Another question to ask is why did the Mafia kill Barry instead of you. In my opinion, you and Barry were the two biggest targets for the Mafia last night.

pants

nin1000 said I was suspicious for voting no-lynch without a reason/disappearing after voting.

but if you read through the thread, I already gave my reason here:

nin1000 pulled the same thing on me. I get the impression he was just trying to stir the pot to see what comes loose so I'm not paying too much attention to it

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Crab, can you clear something up for me please: Will doctor, cop, assassination events be hinted at in the text? In the games I used to play the game master would put in the text that someone was blocked, someone was healed etc without names.

Can we assume that if you dont mention an action in the flavour text it didnt happen?

The flavour text is irrelevant, it exists only to spice things up and will reveal no information other than what game mechanics already reveal. Other people may have been or may not have been targeted tonight, but no-one will be able tell unless they have a specific mechanical reason to.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As per rule 20;

Some of the other tourists have the excellent idea of searching Barrylocke's room for clues. After rifling through one of the draws, a folded parchment covered in rather rough, draftsmanlike writing is found. It reads:

'Dear Hotel Guests:

If you're reading this message, then it looks like the Mafia decided that I was a threat and did me in. To be honest I suspected things would go this way, but I was ready for it. I'm an old man whose seen experiences like this, and while I may not have been the best of the best in those scenarios, I know I've picked up a few tools of the trade. When this sad event began and I realized that many of the folks here may not have been so lucky to have been blessed with years of experience, I figured that it was time to pass a little of my thoughts down.

The mafia is a dangerous ruthless group that wants nothing more than total control, as I'm sure you all are realizing (assuming didn't already know this...I know you Mafioso are also reading this). My death will likely not be the last innocent one, but even still, don't be discouraged. You all need to move forward and finish them off so that you can move back to a life of peace.

I'm certain my spirit will be watching over you all in hopes that things turn out alright in the end. Don't let me down, crew. Take down the malignant forces and end this nightmare for good.

Signed,

An Old Colonel... Barrylocke'.

There's a drawing attached:

bill-left4dead-jpg.jpg

(hope we see you next game, Barry! :)

Timeaisis

Another question to ask is why did the Mafia kill Barry instead of you. In my opinion, you and Barry were the two biggest targets for the Mafia last night.

Agreed on that. Possibly because Barry should potential of organization to the rest of the group? It was all him who single-handedly staved off a no-lynch vote at the last second. Of course, it came to pass anyway, but it possibly showed the Mafia that Barry could potential lead the group in coming days and they didn't want any of that?

Duress

It seems interesting to me they killed the most vocal of us. It is also unfortunate that they killed one of the tourists, with a role ability.

For those who find me suspect. I didn't do it. I know I said to judge people by their username. In some views, It might of been some ploy to hide in the open. I only offered this advice as a starting point, given that we didn't know much to begin with on the first day.

I have no excuse for not voting. I didn't take in account time zones, and the vote ended. It's not a solid reason.

Zatoth

Agreed on that. Possibly because Barry should potential of organization to the rest of the group? It was all him who single-handedly staved off a no-lynch vote at the last second. Of course, it came to pass anyway, but it possibly showed the Mafia that Barry could potential lead the group in coming days and they didn't want any of that?

Funny thing is, that I had Barry high on my list of suspects because he was so active in trying to affect the group. Would have been a great disguise to be the "leader" of the tourists.

But makes sense that the Mafia picked him first for the same reason.

People may become less vocal from now on. To decrease the risk of becoming a target.

El Topo

I don't have anything to say on the current events since I haven't had the time to process them and read through the thread much, but I just wanted to say that you're doing a great job, Crab.

The no vote on the first day was the right thing to do - absolutely nothing to go on of course. Shame we've lost one of our power players and won't have much to go on again today.

Hopefully one of the tourists can spot something before they get killed off too.

Point about being vocal on forum games is really funny, someone might be in a meeting and not able to participate, while the forum can go on and create something massive in their heads.

It's a bad 9gag image, so I'll just post the link but this sums up how the thread can go down: http://img-9gag-ftw.9cache.com/photo/2104915_700b.jpg

Timeaisis

Funny thing is, that I had Barry high on my list of suspects because he was so active in trying to affect the group. Would have been a great disguise to be the "leader" of the tourists.

But makes sense that the Mafia picked him first for the same reason.

People may become less vocal from now on. To decrease the risk of becoming a target.

Eh, I don't have an issue being vocal. There's a good chance many of us are going to get killed off anyway, and winning after dying is better than not winning at all.

Top Bottom