• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NEC Console Appreciation Thread (with HD video)

Hi Gaffers,
I wanted to start up this NEC console appreciation thread to bring to light a short film which for the first time really captures the passion and spirit of the NEC line of consoles (PC Engine, TurboGrafx, PC-FX). I don't think there has been a production of this magnitude ever done for any console by a end-user (if there has, I'd love to see them!)

Remembrance: A NEC Console Legacy Film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA_zP7z7GlE
(HD streaming available & highly recommended)

Capturing the majestic beauty and form of an experience never to be forgotten, Remembrance brings you into the world of the NEC console legacy in a way never done before. Featuring the PC Engine, CD-ROM2, Shuttle, DUO-R, TurboGrafx-16, Turbo-CD, TurboDuo, TurboExpress and other related hardware & games.

Screen captures from the film:
471909841_pLHw7-L.jpg

471909840_kqrCv-L.jpg

471909853_pBwSU-L.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nice video, I love the NEC consoles and their industrial design.. very retro-futuristic and unlike any other system on the market.

kazuo

Hi Aaron!

it is nice to see that you are bringing your PCE love to GAF, to show these guys what PCE is all about.

Great video! Love the epic music.

Rufus

kazuo said:
it is nice to see that you are bringing your PCE love to GAF, to show these guys what PCE is all about.
Too bad the video doesn't do anything in that direction.

Nice fetishistic look at the console design. The NEC stuff besides the Shuttle and the Super was really beautiful for the time.

zmet

I got into PCE gaming a year and a half ago (PCE Duo-RX) and I've been loving it. It's good to see an appreciation thread finally pop up -- gonna check out the video now.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Very cool! I wanted a PC Engine badly back when I was a youngster. Very nice looking machines. Killer library. First machine that sold me on the benefits of CD ROM technology.

Thanks for all of your comments - it is much appreciated. To clarify, "Remembrance" was created to show off for the first time the various console design iterations, accessories and games (however the focus was on hardware/accessories).

This week I will be releasing a "remix" of this film adding short snippets of gameplay from various TurboGrafx-16 games, but again in the vein of "remembering" the console (not to educate specifically).

If you would like to see another NEC-related film (and this time to educate), I have an equally-impressive PC-FX film here:

The PC-FX: A Devotional Film
http://vimeo.com/2520066 (HD streaming available)
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3CxCqXb0g4 (HQ streaming available)

Now this film was made to educate a person on the console, accessories and most importantly the games for this lesser known 32-bit console.

Ninja Dom

I used to own a PC Engine Duo. I thought that was an incredible machine at the time, must have been around 1993.

Only bad thing was it only had one controller port.

I remember reading that the former Nintendo President, Hiroshi Yamauchi, said that the only time he was ever worried about the games industry was when NEC decided to make a console!!

mr stroke

nice!

loved my TG16 at the time. Sad I never had the money as a kid to get the CD or Duo

and NEC wins for having the best console box art of all time-

NECTG16Box.jpg

Wow, that video was annoying. Anyway, I still have a TG16 in a bin in storage... it only has one surviving game, which happened to be left in the slot... BONK. :lol

I still remember the good old days when it was still new, seeing the TG16 in action at the mall Radio Shack made me drool.

Top Bottom