• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
This makes absolutely zero sense. Games don't download any faster on PSN than XBL. And the big complaint about the Xbox One is how slowly games install from disc, which given your logic means they would see more digital sales.

Also EA Access on Xbox One.

Derpyduck

Banned
Xbox had the better bundles and the better price. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone

Well, they had the better price. GTA5+TLOU is imo a much much better bundle. I also think the bundle where you got to choose a free game from 4 is better than getting Black Flag and Unity.

They don't need to look beyond NPD really.

The holiday numbers have been healthy. They're selling software at a good click. They're selling subscriptions.

It doesn't matter much if the Xbox One has been even better.

I agree.
With TLOU bundle, and exclusive games comming for the spring, they will remain very competitive in the US & continue to dominate worldwide all while turning a profit, and building up their PS+ subscriber base.

There is not reason to panic because X1 sold better for the holiday because the PS4 still sold very well.
I don't think they need to drop the price until the fall.

They can get by easy by doing bundles with new games to boost their system sales if they start to drop a bit.

Dragon Age didn't chart in either November or December right?

I wonder if EA is satisfied enough with the numbers to continue the IP? Dead Space is pretty much dead and I don't think it sold that badly.
EA tracks it's own numbers internally in other ways as well. From discussions I've had, they're happy with the numbers.

AniHawk

Aggregate was weirdly low this month. I thought I was being pretty conservative at 500K, I don't think 550K was really that out there.

The 100 grand bar trailed off from a quote referring to December 2012 though (460K), so if I'm reading it right the number will probably be closer to your estimate than 600K.

i was thinking it would be weird if the wii u would do considerably less in what is traditionally nintendo's biggest month, and in the last two years, the wii u's biggest month in a year it has been growing yoy.

NateDrake

Nintendo PR:

Wii U established new benchmarks for hardware and software sales in a single month in December. This helped total hardware and software sales in 2014 increase by more than 29 percent and more than 75 percent, respectively, over sales in 2013.

Nintendo 3DS also had a strong December, including its largest month ever for first-party software sales. This was primarily fueled by Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, which has already surpassed 2 million combined physical and digital units sold in a little more than three months, and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, which have combined to sell over 2.6 million physical and digital units in their first six weeks.

“Wii U had its strongest year yet thanks to the highly anticipated software lineup and the introduction of the amiibo platform,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Fans can anticipate another strong year for 2015, especially with more highly anticipated games like Splatoon and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D, as well as New Nintendo 3DS XL, arriving in the first half of 2015.”

Other Nintendo highlights from the full 2014 year include:

Wii U:

Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U sold over 1.7 million physical and digital units and 1.3 million physical and digital units, respectively, in 2014.
Total sales of amiibo figures in 2014 are nearly twice the sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Nintendo 3DS:

In 2014, 16 Nintendo 3DS titles sold at least 250,000 units. Of those titles, eight sold more than 500,000 units and three sold over 1 million units.
In 2014, the top 15 best-selling hand-held titles were all released on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

Nintendo is looking to ride the wave of momentum into 2015, with the launches of Splatoon, Yoshi’s Woolly World, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Mario Party 10. On Feb. 13, Nintendo will also launch the New Nintendo 3DS XL in the United States alongside The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D.

I posted a long time ago Bone victory but by a narrower percentage margin then November. Would just like confirmation.
Same. I'm guessing it's by less than 150k.

Anyhow....gotta give MS credit where it's due. It may only be one market of many but they're going full tilt for the holiday seasons. I'm honestly thinking they don't care if they hit 360s NA install numbers IF they get even more revenue from subscriptions, apps and whatnot. And game sales, of course.

Sony doesn't need to do anything; they had a record December in NA even in spite of MS's moves plus their sales are generally more spread out throughout the year. If anything this all just pushes MS to put everything into the holidays and give nary a damn about the months in-between.

If they didn't have so much money, this strategy would kill them. But you do what you can do, 'ya know?

ACU not in the top 10. I suppose not counting sales of Rogue split the total, but that has to be disappointing for Ubisoft.

Microsoft's holiday promotions paid off, even if Halo seems to have underperformed.

Not suprising to me. They were shipped broken(and 1 is a remaster) and every game listed is on 4-5 platforms except Smash 4. Also, AC Unity is bundled with almost every XB1 and no one buys physical PC games in the US.

That basically only leaves the PS4 version with any decent figures. If you included bundles I'm pretty sure it would've made the top 10 pretty easily.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
NINTY PRESS NIROLAK :)

Wii U established new benchmarks for hardware and software sales in a single month in December. This helped total hardware and software sales in 2014 increase by more than 29 percent and more than 75 percent, respectively, over sales in 2013.

Nintendo 3DS also had a strong December, including its largest month ever for first-party software sales. This was primarily fueled by Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, which has already surpassed 2 million combined physical and digital units sold in a little more than three months, and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, which have combined to sell over 2.6 million physical and digital units in their first six weeks.

“Wii U had its strongest year yet thanks to the highly anticipated software lineup and the introduction of the amiibo platform,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Fans can anticipate another strong year for 2015, especially with more highly anticipated games like Splatoon and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D, as well as New Nintendo 3DS XL, arriving in the first half of 2015.”

Other Nintendo highlights from the full 2014 year include:
Wii U

Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U sold over 1.7 million physical and digital units and 1.3 million physical and digital units, respectively, in 2014.
Total sales of amiibo figures in 2014 are nearly twice the sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
Nintendo 3DS

In 2014, 16 Nintendo 3DS titles sold at least 250,000 units. Of those titles, eight sold more than 500,000 units and three sold over 1 million units.
In 2014, the top 15 best-selling hand-held titles were all released on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
Nintendo is looking to ride the wave of momentum into 2015, with the launches of Splatoon, Yoshi’s Woolly World, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Mario Party 10. On Feb. 13, Nintendo will also launch the New Nintendo 3DS XL in the United States alongside The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=42411

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sounds like the year panned out as I expected after last months results. Early 2015 will be interesting to see if the XBO can keep some momentum. $350 XBO versus $400 PS4 with TLoUR is going to be fascinating.

I don't think Sony needs to drop price, but I do think they need to do something a little aggressive to keep attention on them. The whole reason they are so far ahead right now is not only because MS made dummy decisions, but because Sony rubbed their noses in it. MS has pretty much wiped away most ill will, and is by all accounts a competitive piece of hardware, so Sony should figure something out to stay the good guys.

I wouldn't be so fast to say that they have wiped away all the ill will.
A lot of this will not be fixed until next gen. (assuming that they actually make the right moves next gen.)

Remembering the old times:

Top-Selling Console Gaming Software
December 2000 NPD

1. Pokemon Gold Nintendo
2. Pokemon Silver Nintendo
3. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 Activision
4. Driver 2 Infogrames
5. WWF Smackdown 2 THQ Inc.
6. Final Fantasy IX SquareEA
7. WWF No Mercy THQ Inc.
8. Donkey Kong Country Nintendo
9. Banjo-Tooie Nintendo
10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Nintendo

It really is no better. 2 Pokemon games, 2 wrestling games and 2 Tony Hawk games, not much variety going on in here either.

Cipherr

Legit shocked, and a round of applause to Microsoft for managing to make a go of this gen. I figured the PS4 would curb stomp them handily, but that clearly isn't happening. They have some fucking fight in them.

Wowza.

What? So the difference is only 100k?

If the difference this month is only 100,000, then between November and December XB1 made up about a half million of the million gap (400,000 in November and 100,000 in December)... This still puts the ps4 at 500,000 above the XB1 in LTD sales in the US, right?

Wellllllllp

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/15/7554153/xbox-one-price-drop-349-dollars
The new price, which Microsoft refers to as a "new promotion," sees the console return to the lower price that Microsoft instituted temporarily over the holiday season. Microsoft confirmed to Polygon that the newest price drop is not permanent, but that the company doesn't have an end date set for the promotion.

Looks like a more permanent price drop than we thought

Enosh

man I love the AC series even if I didn't get to play ACU yet due to waiting for a new pc

hope it sold decent enough with the bundles

Kathian

Banned

Oh wow for Amiibo.

Top Bottom