• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Holographic Announced - beyond virtual worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
microsoft-windows-10-live-verge-_1360.jpg

Just announced on stream

Some points:
It's a mixture of augmented reality using holograms and this headset. We're back to Kipman to get a full explanation.
"This afternoon every single person will experience Holograms for themselves in our labs." (media peeps there)
Holographic APIs are enabled in all Windows 10 builds.
No wires, no phone required, no connection to a PC needed.
"HoloLens enables holographical computing natively."

Wired Exclusive:
http://www.wired.com/2015/01/microsoft-hands-on/?mbid=social_twitter

b-660x495.jpg

I know it'll be janky for the first few years, and tons of applications won't use it, but that said...

FUCK YEAH

I'm ready to work like this:

tumblr_m9y3r6Lrxq1qfilswo2_500.gif

Guevara

This is the kind of thing that sounds really impressive, and the screenshots look cool. But I bet if you actually use it, you'd rather just slump lazily on the couch, controller in hand (nothing on your head), looking at a regular TV.

Jacobi

Banned
This is the kind of thing that sounds really impressive, and the screenshots look cool. But I bet if you actually use it, you'd rather just slump lazily on the couch, controller in hand (nothing on your head), looking at a regular TV.

When I read something like this, I always have to think of the people that were like "No one needs an iPad!!"

In the initial stages, there are specific applications for this tech would be amazing

ampere

A VR device of sorts. I still think this whole set of gadgets is too gimmicky in present-day, but I'd also be interested in playing around with one. Probably could be fun with the right software.

Fucking HYPE.

Another scenario lands me on a virtual Mars-scape. Kipman developed it in close collaboration with NASA rocket scientist Jeff Norris, who spent much of the first half of 2014 flying back and forth between Seattle and his Southern California home to help develop the scenario. With a quick upward gesture, I toggle from computer screens that monitor the Curiosity rover’s progress across the planet’s surface to the virtual experience of being on the planet. The ground is a parched, dusty sandstone, and so realistic that as I take a step, my legs begin to quiver. They don’t trust what my eyes are showing them. Behind me, the rover towers seven feet tall, its metal arm reaching out from its body like a tentacle. The sun shines brightly over the rover, creating short black shadows on the ground beneath its legs.

Norris joins me virtually, appearing as a three-dimensional human-shaped golden orb in the Mars-scape. (In reality, he’s in the room next door.) A dotted line extends from his eyes toward what he is looking at. “Check that out,” he says, and I squat down to see a rock shard up close. With an upward right-hand gesture, I bring up a series of controls. I choose the middle of three options, which drops a flag there, theoretically a signal to the rover to collect sediment.

After exploring Mars, I don’t want to remove the headset, which has provided a glimpse of a combination of computing tools that make the unimaginable feel real. NASA felt the same way. Norris will roll out Project HoloLens this summer so that agency scientists can use it to collaborate on a mission.

venne

So awesome. I would love one of these for home.

I could never wear something like this in public, but holy shit when it becomes the size of normal glasses. I can't wait for adblock in real life.

RexNovis

Banned
Just gonna quote my reaction from the other thread:

Watching the sales pitch for this in the stream is just painful. So many meaningless buzzwords and conceptual nonsense with literally zero technical explanation. Apparently this shut runs on magic because it's "beyond GPUs and CPUs in order to render Holograms." The call it the "HPU." Riiiight. I wish everyone could see how hard I am rolling my eyes right now. Oh Microsoft. I'll believe it when I see it but I'm not holding my breath.

Ri'Orius

So it sounds like there are a lot of specific demos, but have they said anything about whether it will interface with my PC?

I've been looking forward to augmented reality for a while, and an obvious/easy thing I'd like it to be able to do is basically give me infinite monitors. No voice or motion nonsense required, just hook up to my desktop and let me drag and drop windows anywhere around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom