• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wikipedia bans editors over GamerGate controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryulong

Neo Member
The GG article is an embarrassment to Wikipedia. It reads like something from fucking RationalWiki.

I'm no gator but that article is insane. At least the worst offender has gotten his due ;)
Where is the report button on mobile because this is uncalled for. "Not a gator" my ass. No one but gators know that exists and they won't stop harassing me about it.

I regret every god damn day I used chan speak on a bunch of holier than thou 4chan rejects because they will not let it down or leave me alone.

Every GGer I talked to said to me that it was about journalism ethics, but the more I talked to them the more I saw they are more worried about feminism in videogames than journalism.
Yup and also against opinions or different perspectives in reviews. Pro-GG people didn't bring up anything about youtuber gaming paid deals scandals, actual unethical shit.

Dryk

Yup and also against opinions or different perspectives in reviews. Pro-GG people didn't bring up anything about youtuber gaming paid deals scandals, actual unethical shit.
That's not true, that stuff did get play for KiA. Not much play, it got buried pretty quickly under scores of shitting on people they didn't like and misunderstandings of basic journalistic ethics, but I have to be fair to them they did notice it.

Addi

First time I write in a gamer gate thread, just want to say GG is sad, overcomplicated and really pathetic.

CLEEK

Where is the report button on mobile because this is uncalled for. "Not a gator" my ass. No one but gators know that exists and they won't stop harassing me about it.

I regret every god damn day I used chan speak on a bunch of holier than thou 4chan rejects because they will not let it down or leave me alone.

I don't know who you are or what history you have in this. But based on that posted Twitter conversation, fuck downplaying your bigoted slurs on publicly open social media is 'chan speak'. It's homophobia, pure and simple. There are zero acceptable reasons for calling someone a faggot. If you have finally learned a life lesson around this, then so be it.

Ryulong

Neo Member
I don't know who you are or what history you have in this. But based on that posted Twitter conversation, fuck downplaying your bigoted slurs on publicly open social media is 'chan speak'. It's homophobia, pure and simple. There are zero acceptable reasons for calling someone a faggot. If you have finally learned a life lesson around this, the so be it.
I'm gay and that tweet is deleted and led to me getting dog piled to no end by Gamergate. It taught me that Gamergate is full of a bunch of hypocrites who will badger you into silence while they constantly throw around the same garbage they attempt to call you out for on their own personal forums.

acolyn

Banned
I have no problems with these particular editors receiving bans. The neutrality of Wikipedia remains its biggest asset. The editors in question were overly invested in the topic.

I found the section on #Notyourshield especially concerning. Regardless of what Quinn or the 4chan chat rooms showed there was a huge amount of ‘real’ people who contributed to that cause. Describing it as being pushed largely by sock puppets is utterly dehumanising to those involved.

For what its worth I consider myself a gamergater or ‘gator’ or whatever name people are choosing to mock we with. I’ve never harassed anyone. I don’t visit the chan sites. In fact the only board I visit is Gaf as I have done for the past ten years.

I grew disenchanted with game journalism several years ago. While I do not feel all games journalists are corrupt I do think many of them are inept. Some of the issues I’m concerned with; the failure to hold major publishers responsible for their shoddy actions, failing to disclose relationships with content makers, preview articles being indistinguishable from PR releases.

I believe a movement to improve ethics and accountability within the industry is something to support and I will continue to do so.

CLEEK

Then you're a massive fucking idiot and should have known better. Why would you promote the use of homophobic slurs?

There is the argument - not one I agree with with - that the use of 'fag' within the confines of 4chan is OK as it is effectively meaningless there. But that one flimsy excuse has no weight when it's used outside of that website.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The GG article is an embarrassment to Wikipedia. It reads like something from fucking RationalWiki.

I'm no gator but that article is insane. At least the worst offender has gotten his due ;)

:D Yeah right. Just asking questioh wait, you know Ryulong, RationalWiki and have an GG archive link handy.

Dude. There's nothing wrong with discussion but don't play pretend. It's not helping anything.

They are actually against the unfair tactics of journalism, actually talking about journalism, rather than feminism. They also support #Notyourshield, which I don't see a lot on NeoGaf.

Recently, one of Anti-GG bigger supporters basically said every negative thing he said about gamergate wasn't all true, and that he only said it to show how gamers are monsters. I don't see how purposely provoking people makes you less of a troll than said people. Not to mention not your shield is still being considered fake. Some Anti-GG people over tumblr still claim that there are no women or people of color are Pro-GG.
Is that really the best example you can find about pro-GG bringing up journalism ethics which is some insular GG drama and not anything about journalism, tkscz?

Ryulong

Neo Member
Then you're a massive fucking idiot and should have known better. Why would you promote the use of homophobic slurs?

There is the argument - not one I agree with with - that the use of 'fag' within the confines of 4chan is OK as it is effectively meaningless there. But that one flimsy excuse has no weight when it's used outside of that website.
I edited my post after you did this but yes, I learned that using a slur that has traditionally been thrown at me and people like me for the past God knows how many years and using it in the same fashion as the people who have been harassing me nonstop since then is still hypocritical on them but I was wrong for having tried. I really do not want to have to get into this same argument again. I fucked up royally. Gamergators have already made me pay for that by making me one of their targets. I fell prey to sea lioning before it was known by that name. I don't want to have to keep dealing with this garbage in a forum where I had such a warm welcome before just because a gator has crawled out from the sewer.

Edit: I just found someone trying to impersonate me on Twitter.

That's not true, that stuff did get play for KiA. Not much play, it got buried pretty quickly under scores of shitting on people they didn't like and misunderstandings of basic journalistic ethics, but I have to be fair to them they did notice it.

Which is just another one of the awful results of GG. Actual ethics issues that deserve serious discussion get flooded out by nonsense. In a sense, GGers are like the SJWs (In the original sense of the term) of gaming journalism ethics.

jstripes

Banned
It was only a matter of time. I thought I was safe here in OT.

They're hiding under every rock, just waiting.

Vv6Icuql.jpg

revimack

Banned
:D Yeah right. Just asking questioh wait, you know Ryulong, RationalWiki and have an GG archive link handy.

Dude. There's nothing wrong with discussion but don't play pretend. It's not helping anything.

I'm ex-GG. I'm definitely still a conservative on the internet, though, so call me what you like.

Where is the report button on mobile because this is uncalled for.

Calling people
fags
because you dislike them is uncalled for. It's good to see you apologize, but this isn't outside the realm of acceptable discussion.

Pimpwerx

Who cares? They should just ban everyone associated with the topic. The whole lot are wankers who take a hobby way too seriously. Get over yourselves. PEACE.

pants

It's a pity people weren't so passionate about the mountain dew and doritos version of gaming ethics as they are a movement heavily tied to harassment

RM8

It's a pity people weren't so passionate about the mountain dew and doritos version of gaming ethics as they are a movement heavily tied to harassment
That was funny and meme-worthy because it involved a male. Let's focus on the real threats to gaming like the previously widely unknown Zoe Quinn and her free game, or Intel ads, apparently. Oh, what would we gamers do without the invaluable help of GG.

My trust in Wikipedia has raised a little bit more after this.

I read the wiki entry just a few weeks ago for
The first time and yes, it was extremely biased towards the anti GG side (the rational side if you ask me), poorly quoted and with superficial, incomplete and a lot, lot of opinion-ish descriptions of the events.

Having the accurate, more rational opinion in a social debate like GG doesn't exclude you from being biased and to show malicious behavior like the banned editors did. I don't know how punishing this behavior is "siding" with GG.

daegan

I have no problems with these particular editors receiving bans. The neutrality of Wikipedia remains its biggest asset. The editors in question were overly invested in the topic.

I found the section on #Notyourshield especially concerning. Regardless of what Quinn or the 4chan chat rooms showed there was a huge amount of ‘real’ people who contributed to that cause. Describing it as being pushed largely by sock puppets is utterly dehumanising to those involved.

For what its worth I consider myself a gamergater or ‘gator’ or whatever name people are choosing to mock we with. I’ve never harassed anyone. I don’t visit the chan sites. In fact the only board I visit is Gaf as I have done for the past ten years.

I grew disenchanted with game journalism several years ago. While I do not feel all games journalists are corrupt I do think many of them are inept. Some of the issues I’m concerned with; the failure to hold major publishers responsible for their shoddy actions, failing to disclose relationships with content makers, preview articles being indistinguishable from PR releases.

I believe a movement to improve ethics and accountability within the industry is something to support and I will continue to do so.

Go ahead and start one then, because despite your best wishes, GG isn't that. I'm honestly surprised that you claim that's important to you, as while some actual scandals around games writing & journalism surfaced and were discussed here on NeoGAF over the past six years, this is the one post you've made. 'Sok though. The info and threads are out there.

Kinyou

They would clear things up a lot if they just made that statement.
From what I understand did the various editors break certain guidelines. That's just the rules. If people are trying to misconstrue this as Wikipedia supporting GG then they're mistaken.

Go ahead and start one then, because despite your best wishes, GG isn't that. I'm honestly surprised that you claim that's important to you, as while some actual scandals around games writing & journalism surfaced and were discussed here on NeoGAF over the past six years, this is the one post you've made. 'Sok though. The info and threads are out there.

I would join your cause of making game journalists hold themselves more accountable if your group held themselves just as accountable.

It's hard to find game journalism being unethical when we keep seeing reports of GG members acting far less ethical. Nobody will listen to your movement as long as your worst members keep harassing people they don't agree with.

When you have big creative celebrities like Joss Whedon, Pendleton Ward, Notch, JonTron and people in the game industry calling you out, it's really hard to deny that GG goofed up.

Ryulong

Neo Member
My trust in Wikipedia has raised a little bit more after this.

I read the wiki entry just a few weeks ago for
The first time and yes, it was extremely biased towards the anti GG side (the rational side if you ask me), poorly quoted and with superficial, incomplete and a lot, lot of opinion-ish descriptions of the events.

Having the accurate, more rational opinion in a social debate like GG doesn't exclude you from being biased and to show malicious behavior like the banned editors did. I don't know how punishing this behavior is "siding" with GG.
The page isn't magically going to become pro-GG though because it still has to be based in what the mainstream media says and Nightline didn't do GG any good.

Also why are you all still using "anti-GG"? That's really the sign of a gator because GG is a harassment campaign and hate group and doesn't know shit about ethics in journalism to make a valid point that people can oppose.

The page isn't magically going to become pro-GG though because it still has to be based in what the mainstream media says and Nightline didn't do GG any good.

Also why are you all still using "anti-GG"? That's really the sign of a gator because GG is a harassment campaign and hate group and doesn't know shit about ethics in journalism to make a valid point that people can oppose.
If that's your takeaway from and response to the quoted post you definitely shouldn't be editing wiki pages on this subject.

RM8

Lol, pretty much. I don't understand why some people need to associate with a hashtag created by a nutty c-grade celebrity, as if that's the only way we have to denounce bad gaming journalism.

jstripes

Banned
From what I understand did the various editors break certain guidelines. That's just the rules. If people are trying to misconstrue this as Wikipedia supporting GG then they're mistaken.

Misconstruing things as supporting GG is one of their greatest talents.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This thread has taught me a bunch about how Wikipedia moderates itself, and has been very interesting.

Given that knowledge, I have to say that them banning these editors isn't nearly as cynical and troubling as I initially thought.

While there is no evidence to support that GamerGate goaded these editors into being banned for war editing, the playbook on how to do it is now public knowledge and could potentially be used by anyone who wants to censor a page they don't agree with.

It brings to light how the Wiki system can potentially be gamed, and I hope there is some solution that can be put in place by their administrators to prevent this in the future.

While there is no evidence to support that GamerGate goaded these editors into being banned for war editing, the playbook on how to do it is now public knowledge and could potentially be used by anyone who wants to censor a page they don't agree with.

It's known but it doesn't work. The Arbitration process is somewhat more subtle than may appear from outside. It will now be much, much harder for people to attempt to subvert the articles in this topic. By bringing in Discretionary Sanctions, they've basically given every administrator _carte blanche_ to handle disruptive editors, and it's easier to bring an administrator's attention to bear on bad behaviour. If Gamergate was fighting for the soul of Wikipedia, it lost big.

The editors named in topic bans weren't doing Wikipedia any favours through their treatment of Wikipedia as a battleground. If they'd kept their cool they would still be allowed to edit in that topic area.

TedNindo

Honestly. I've been following Wikipedia. And the process they go through is correct. Biases on any topic should not be part of an encyclopedia which should strive for objectivity. Not some dumb editing battle between different ideoligies.

It should strive for posting facts or offer different points of view if fact isn't straightforward.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Honestly. I've been following Wikipedia. And the process they go through is correct. Biases on any topic should not be part of an encyclopedia which should strive for objectivity. Not some dumb editing battle between different ideoligies.

It should strive for posting facts or offer different points of view if fact isn't straightforward.

I'm confused. These editors were banned because of war editing, not because they were putting in anti-gamergate bias.

You seem to be saying that biased editors should be banned, but not editors who over-edit a page... Yet you say Wikipedia did the right thing?

Ryulong

Neo Member
If that's your takeaway from and response to the quoted post you definitely shouldn't be editing wiki pages on this subject.

Maybe you should educate yourself more on what's been going on. It doesn't matter if I think GG is full of shit. I wasn't actively pushing an "anti-GG" agenda on the page. Myself, and the other "Horsemen" that 8chan singled out, were working to prevent the page from being filled with Gamergate's completely debunked and indefensible talking points because that does not comply with Wikipedia's content policies.

I went over this in an earlier post in this thread. We stopped Gators from using the "Five Guys Burgers and Fries" narrative because it's an egregious and unsourced ad hominem attack on Zoe Quinn. We told Gators that a 50/50 split on pro and anti is impossible because reputable news agencies across the world were only covering the negative shit that got attributed to Gamergate and there really has been nothing positive that can be attributed to them. Their point of view on matters is included, but it is a fringe point of view held by what is effectively a bunch of conspiracy theorists and it is heavily debunked like the Wikipedia articles on the moon landing denialists, Holocaust denialists, Obama birthers, global warming denialists, 9/11 conspiracists, etc. The fact that "misogyny" and "false allegations" are on the page are enough to drive them insane.

Simply because I can possess my own opinion on this subject is not any reason I should be barred from a page. Anyone can edit Wikipedia regardless of their own personal biases. It only becomes a problem if their personal biases affect their article writing. Like once a week you can go to the incident reporting board and see that someone is accusing other editors of being biased and not letting them post what they know is the truth about whatever highly controversial subject they came on Wikipedia to advocate for. Sometimes it's homeopathy (Chinese traditional medicine is a popular target), sometimes it's some burgeoning cult that doesn't like to be called as such, while other times it's people working for some company in some fashion and presenting themselves as someone who totally isn't an employee of whatever they always exactly name according to the company's standards. Those are the people that should be banned from pages. You don't want someone who sincerely thinks Obama set up a spy laser on the moon to control his hamster's thoughts to be allowed to post that very sentence in the Obama article.

But this takes me away from the original point I set out to make: there is no such thing as "anti-Gamergate". Gamergate is a hate movement against women's presence in the video game industry in any fashion that puts up a thin veil of being a consumer movement for more objectivity in video game journalism which has been proven to just be "we don't care about the story tell us if it plays well and how well the latest AMD processor handles it because fuck Intel for giving that
[use your imagination]
Sarkeesian $300 million". Being "anti-Gamergate" is being anti-harassment and not at all being anti-"ethics in video game journalism" because most of the people who want to show Gamergate for what it is know that video game journalism needs work because the AAA publishers are the ones who are causing problems and not singular women like Zoe Quinn who learned how to design a video game with Twine or RPG maker. And because of their defense of anyone who does shit for them it means that "anti-Gamergate" also is anti-rape apologists and anti-pedo apologists considering all the shit that Gamergate went through to tear down the guy who wrote an article on how much indefensible child porn gets posted to 8chan and isn't immediately taken down by the mods.

well I was mostly amused that you accused someone who considered those who are 'anti-gamergate' as the rational side of the controversy as a being a gator simply because of the terminology used.

Also why are you all still using "anti-GG"? That's really the sign of a gator

I'd say you're simply to invested in the issue.

Ryulong

Neo Member
well I was mostly amused that you accused someone who considered those who are 'anti-gamergate' as the rational side of the controversy as a being a gator simply because of the terminology used.

That may be, but I still stand by the fact that it's only gotten to this point because of initial harassment by Gamergate in September because I didn't automatically believe their shit when I started telling the ones showing up on Wikipedia that the article cannot be changed to fit their narrative because no one reputable was treating their narrative seriously. I was a victim of sealioning before it was given that name and I responded in a way that only made shit worse for me and I acknowledge the mistake I made but it's not going to take away the last 4 months of being accused of having a bias when I haven't participated even in discussions on the main page without threat of a thread showing up on KotakuInAction claiming I'm colluding with others when working together is the whole point of Wikipedia.

Ryu, are you one of the banned editors from the article in the OP?

Yes, I am one of the people being discussed in the news. But the "ban" is a bit more complex. As of right now I am
  • Banned from the Gamergate page, pages of people affected by Gamergate, pages affected by Gamergate, and pages on or about people involved in any gender-based controversy (whatever that means)
  • Have been given a "final warning" that future transgressions may result in a complete ban from Wikipedia
  • Restricted to one revert per page per day unless it's an obvious exemption to the normal multiple revert restrictions
But the voting is still going on so people can change their minds, but it rarely if ever happens.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Rui, can you give an idea of how exactly this all went down? Would you say that the gamergate people were purposefully trying to bait you into war editing? Or Was it just the constant vitriol in the talk sections that got out of hand and went against Wiki policy?

Edit: also, are you the editor mentioned in the article who admitted to false-flagging the Bradley discussions? I'm not trying to call you out, but in my opinion that gives whoever that was a huge lack of credibility. As you can tell from the OP, I'm definitely against the GG hate group, but those kind of shenanigans don't fly with me.

bonercop

He's right about the concept of "antiGG" being a load of crap, though. Look at it this way:

A bunch of manchildren organized around a banner called #gamergate and used it to harass, threaten, intimidate, doxx and bully women working in the tech industry for months on end. Anyone who disapproves of this is labeled "anti-gamergate".

Treating that as two sides fighting it out is bullshit. There is no #anti-gamergate community. There are no forums where #antiGG plan and share doxxings and discuss who they're going to be harassing next.

Ryulong

Neo Member
Rui, can you give an idea of how exactly this all went down? Would you say that the gamergate people were purposefully trying to bait you into war editing? Or Was it just the constant vitriol in the talk sections that got out of hand and went against Wiki policy?

Edit: also, are you the editor mentioned in the article who admitted to false-flagging the Bradley discussions? I'm not trying to call you out, but in my opinion that gives whoever that was a huge lack of credibility. As you can tell from the OP, I'm definitely against the GG hate group, but those kind of shenanigans don't fly with me.

Edit: to get it out of the way first, Tarc is the "false-flagger". I went over this in another post in the thread.

This is the earliest version of the Gamergate page I can find. There was apparently a whole block of Internet Aristocrat videos deleted shortly before this version but the edits were expunged from public view. So I urge everyone to take a look at that first. Then look at the first version of the page that ever got protected after apparently 48 hours of Gators and the first non-gator editors to show up.

My participation in the article was like my participation in any other article. I read stuff online or on the talk page, looked at the news that came out, and then tried to incorporate it. Then any Wikipedia editor who was sincerely not a gator responded to the gators showing up on the talk page who constantly cried foul. I went over the general things I saw go on in a previous post so I'll repost it here:
The thing is that "anti-GG" behavior was just trying to keep the pages in line with Wikipedia's policies. I know that's all I was trying to do (and also add information from new articles when it was still sort of boiling over in the media). The issue was that sea lions ending up at Wikipedia were constantly crying foul over a perceived "anti-GG" bias. If you go through any of the two prior Gamergate threads on GAF you'll see the exact same behavior. Brand new accounts appearing out of nowhere parroting the same discussion points as every account that came before it that got banned. Here's the rundown of what I saw before I stepped away from everything in November and only checked in a few times when shit hit the fan (or I read a post on Reddit by someone who documented it in a parodic way):

• The Gamergators who went to Wikipedia intended to change the page so it presented their side of the story in a 50/50 split when such a 50/50 split does not exist in anything Wikipedia considers reliable sources (see Wikipedia:Identifying reliable sources for more).
  • Arguments were made constantly that the Wikipedia pages on Adolf Hitler and the Ku Klux Klan (as was linked in here earlier in the thread) didn't malign the subjects as much as the Gamergate page does, completely ignoring the fact that the page isn't about their unorganized movement but the controversy it caused, like the 9/11 conspiracy theorists and the Obama birth certificate deniers which both go "these people think this but they're fucking nuts for doing so".
  • They constantly complained that the word "misogyny" appeared in the first sentence.
  • They constantly complained that the allegations that Zoe Quinn had sex for good reviews were labeled as "false allegations".
  • They would post links blindly without any sort of inkling as to what anyone else was supposed to gather from them. If you've already done the research, then provide the information and use it as a source for your new opinion and tell others instead of forcing them to do the leg work you already did.
  • They complained that I had added free photos of all of the major figures, and it just so happens that there are more free photos of the harassment targets (or in their words "anti-GG") than there are of the pro-GG ones.
  • They cried foul when someone discovered that the photo of Christina Hoff Sommers wasn't actually free and couldn't be hosted on Wikipedia or the Wikimedia Commons (a central file repository for all Wikimedia projects).
  • They cried foul when people independently decided that the section about Christina Hoff Sommers' "Gamer boys will be gamer boys" video was deemed irrelevant and got removed.
  • They cried foul when I messaged someone else and said "Hey, I found all these grammatical errors. Could you fix them because if I touch the page after I said I'd not touch the page they'd lose their shit" and they did indeed lose their shit (on Reddit at least).
  • They fought tooth and nail when someone (I think it was Tarc) messaged Zoe Quinn on Reddit and asked her if she could provide photographs to the Wikimedia Commons because the one photograph someone did find she disliked as it was constantly being distributed by newspapers who just took the photo off of her Wikipedia page.
  • They went apeshit when I tried to suggest that we use one of those photographs over the one that was already on the page.
  • They constantly tried to push Breitbart, KnowYourMeme, Gamergate.me, Techraptor, TheRalphRetort, etc. as sources (not sure if it's still going on).
  • They made new pages on pro-Gamergate subjects to content fork away from all the negative shit they can't possibly fix because their PR is awful. That's why 8chan and 8chan's owner Fredrick Brennan have their own pages.
  • In the last 24 hours, they were maligning people peripheral to Gamergate that happen to have articles. Brianna Wu's husband Frank Wu has his own page because he's notable in his own right and Wikipedia had to expunge contributions to it because of how vile it was.
  • An established editor proposed that some long rambling pro-Gamergate website whose authorship was attributed to "Gurney Halleck" (Patrick Stewart's character in the 80s Dune movie) to be added to the page and was so insensed when he got shot down that he added the refusal to add the link as evidence of a "house POV" to the arbitration case. It wasn't until weeks later that the evidence was removed because everyone with a working sense of morality knew it violated a central policy of Wikipedia not to post anything that could remotely malign someone unless it's from a impeccably reputable source considering it pushed the "Five Guys" narrative.
  • Someone tried to add a disclaimer to the top of the page saying "This is not what Gamergate supporters believe, go to Know Your Meme".
This is the shit that all of the editors on Wikipedia have had to deal with since August. And because it's the "encyclopedia anyone can edit" it takes so much red tape to get rid of anyone who isn't being an obvious tool.

Also to add to this list I just remembered that Gators went apeshit when their "Based Mom" complained that her Wiki page had been edited to say she wasn't a feminist and that the lengthy review of her book was cut down. And they went crazy when Brianna Wu complained on Facebook that gators were brigading the new Wikipedia page that was recently created on her video game and that Ian Miles Cheong suggested she get in touch with me, and that I only found out about this fact because their screenshot of this discussion was circulating online for hours until I got tagged into some Twitter thread about it.

So because we are not emotionless machines and had been harassed by external forces throughout, it did make our comments a little less sugar coated as time went on. Wikipedia user "The Devil's Advocate" (hereon TDA) used this, and the fact that administrators showing up to clean up after the gator garbage by banning and blocking the worst Gator accounts that there was an imbalance in treatment in the pages which led to the arbitration case. TDA spent most of the evidentiary phase presenting as many diffs as he could that presented actions on the article itself and the talk page as completely out of context to paint everyone in a bad light. He constantly linked to content I had added to the page that was from reputable sources that depicted Gamergate negatively and comments I made that explained how anything from Gamergate's figureheads (e.g. Milo Yiannopoulos) could not be used on the page because of the reputations for never fact checking. They also used the one time I tried to list every "zombie account" I had found over a month long observation period and the request that they be banned from the site for obvious advocacy because I had accidentally included two admins who to me were spouting pro-GG statements. TDA has apparently been involved in a lot of other right-wing conspiracy theory pages. Someone on KotakuInAction even posted that he had been banned from 9/11 articles for pushing the conspiracy theories there before he became involved in the Gamergate shit.

Most of the people who have been brought forward for bans in this mess are not strangers to the arbitration committee. I was previously de-adminned by them in 2009 after I reacted poorly to one person's incessant actions in my favored topic area and also a couple of years of harsh blocks on users and IPs. I also have been blocked multiple times for edit warring, although in some of these cases it was later revealed to be editors who would later be banned for the shit I was reverting them for or I had unknowningly uncovered a banned user who had been sockpuppeting for years already. I should have done more work into getting administrative help, but often people wanted nothing to do with me, regardless of which method I went about to contact an administrator for help, nor did I want to be the type to constantly go to the incident board where people were already rolling their eyes when I was mentioned. I went into the IRC channel a couple weeks ago to get some help with something, and one of the chat members who is an admin on the site told me off and hoped that I would be banned from the site because he allegedly gets complaints about my behavior so often that he'd rather I be gone already.

I'm finding it rare to enjoy doing anything on Wikipedia lately. I'm absolutely hated by a fandom I am a part of because they don't like how I spell things according to the official trademarks rather than the "corrected" fansubs and I've gotten into petty arguments over including something in a section header because of a TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom