• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom sales data as of 12/31/08 (3rd Quarter Results)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How about some more info?

http://www.edge-online.com/news/capcom-reports-net-income-fall-of‭-‬95

Capcom Reports Net Income Fall of‭ ‬95%

Publisher reports declines,‭ ‬claims‭ ‬Japan’s handheld market has‭ “‬fully disseminated.‭”

Capcom listed a string of heavy losses for the nine months ended Dec‭ ‬31‭ ‬2008.‭ ‬Measured against the same period in‭ ‬2007,‭ ‬Capcom found operating profits were down‭ ‬57‭ ‬percent,‭ ‬sales fell‭ ‬8.6‭ ‬percent and net income tumbled a striking‭ ‬95‭ ‬percent.

And yet capcom totally neglects the wii in terms of high profile releases. Spyborgs? hehe
But who cares when we get to play RESIDENT EVIL 5 and SFIV soon :D
You can't blame them as not wii-only dude.

Q&A :
http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/data/pdf/fy2009_3rd_quarter_b.pdf

An interesting excerpt from the Q&A :

Q.
I would like to know Capcom’s forecasts for the entire game software market for the next term by region,
as well as your concrete platform strategy based on market trends.

A.
First of all, concerning the market overview, it is in line with our forecasts. Although sales of each platform
in Japan are facing something of an uphill battle, I am told that sales of Wii are brisk in the European and
North American markets, which are the major market for the industry, and sales of Xbox 360 are also quite
favorable—mainly driven by price-cuts. We also recognize that sales of Nintendo DS and PSP are generally
within the expected levels.
There is no significant change in Capcom’s strategy, and we will primarily release game titles for PS3,
Xbox 360 and Wii. In addition, we plan to release our leading titles overseas to acquire game users, as the
overseas market for Wii is extensive. One of our leading titles is “Monster Hunter 3 (tri-).” If we can gain
recognition of this product in the European and North American markets, our market strategy will see a
noticeable change. Meanwhile, we are reviewing the possibility of releasing new titles besides “Ace
Attorney” for Nintendo DS.

Looks like they are pretty serious about releasing MH3 in the West. It will be interesting to see what's their strategy they have for that (online pricing if any, release window, etc).
Also, do they really intend to make some other so-called "leading" titles on the Wii besides MH3 ? Seems obvious enough, but I guess we shall see about that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mh Tri worldwide release this holiday season + big marketing campaign.

Come on capcom - u can do it.

DarkMehm

cw_sasuke said:
Mh Tri worldwide release this holiday season + big marketing campaign.

Come on capcom - u can do it.

Why should they? MH is even less popular than Dragon Quest in the west and a big marketing campaign would be nothing more than a waste of money. The core gamers would buy it anyway and a marketing campaign wouldn't spark much interest to the casuals.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DarkMehm said:
Why should they? MH is even less popular than Dragon Quest in the west and a big marketing campaign would be nothing more than a waste of money. The core gamers would buy it anyway and a marketing campaign wouldn't spark much interest to the casuals.

Less popular and less known aren't the same thing, if Sega can advertise games like madworld and conduit 4for wii, why shouldn`t capcom be able to do the same with monster hunter ?
Wii is the perfect opportunity to reboot the perception of the franchise in western markets. Capcom would be stupid no to at least try it, maybe Nintendo will support the marketing just like MS did for capcom when Lost Planet launched on 360.

And what does that have to do with Dragon Quest ?

DarkMehm

cw_sasuke said:
Less popular and less known aren't the same thing, if Sega can advertise games like madworld and conduit 4for wii, why shouldn`t capcom be able to do the same with monster hunter ?
Wii is the perfect opportunity to reboot the perception of the franchise in western markets. Capcom would be stupid no to at least try it, maybe Nintendo will support the marketing just like MS did for capcom when Lost Planet launched on 360.

And what does that have to do with Dragon Quest ?

I'm not saying they shouldn't advertise. But a big campaign isn't really necessary. I only mentioned DQ to show how low the popularity of MH really is, nothing more.

DarkMehm said:
Shit I don't know, why should they?

"One of our leading titles is “Monster Hunter 3 (tri-).” If we can gain
recognition of this product in the European and North American markets, our market strategy will see a
noticeable change."

Doesn't sound like a title they'll market world wide, besides promoting is a waste of money. Core gamers will buy it anyway and a marketing campaign wouldn't spark much interest in the casuals, trust me I'm an expert.

DarkMehm

SimpleDesign said:
Doesn't sound like a title they'll market world wide, besides promoting is a waste of money. Core gamers will buy it anyway and a marketing campaign wouldn't spark much interest in the casuals, trust me I'm an expert.

Again, I only adressed the "big campaign" part. Of course they will promote it, but a huge campaign would be a big risk.

bttb

http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/news/html/e090316.html

Capcom’s First Shipment of “Resident Evil 5” Breaks Four Million Copies!
- The biggest launch of any title in the series acts as a major boost
to Capcom’s performance -

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) is proud to announce that the first shipment of “Resident Evil 5,” the newest title in one of Capcom’s most popular series, has shipped more than 4 million copies worldwide.

“Resident Evil 5” combines powerful visuals only capable on today’s generation of video game consoles with Hollywood’s film-making skills and technology to create a new sense of fear that arises from the contrast between light and darkness. Thanks to the company’s proprietary engine, the MT Framework, Capcom was able to make “Resident Evil 5” a multi-platform title(PLAYSTATION®3/Xbox 360™), giving a vast number of players the opportunity to enjoy the game. Many players’ expectations were raised by playing through the demo, which was downloaded over 4 million times. This all culminated in the largest first shipment of any title for the series to date.

The “Resident Evil” series is extremely popular, having shipped over 40 million copies worldwide since the first title was released in 1996 (as of March 16, 2009). The series paved the pathway for a new genre, Survival Horror, and even after ten years, the “Resident Evil” series is renowned as one of the most popular video game franchises in the world.

t3nmilez

They deserved it, RE5 is probably one of the best experiences I've had this gen. Hopefully they'll keep supporting it through DLC or whatever.

mintylurb

and the CG film, “Resident Evil: Degeneration,” has now shipped over 1.5 million copies.
0ug26.gif

Anony

looks like re5 is gonna beat previous re titles
i still dont get how sequels can beat out in terms of copies sold of previous iterations
especially on more critical with its plot as the driving force

literally most of the people who bought/is going to buy re5 would not know the back story, for all they know it's some high profile (3rd person) shooter
hence they are not going to be playing it for the 're'

jibblypop

Banned
That is a big first shipment. I wonder if it will keep selling because the word of mouth among my friends that normally love Res Evil has been pretty poor.. especially in comparison to how I remember them talking when RE4 came out. However even if no one buys another copy, 4 million would already be a super atom bomb smash hit.

Guled

Anony said:
looks like re5 is gonna beat previous re titles
i still dont get how sequels can beat out in terms of copies sold of previous iterations
especially on more critical with its plot as the driving force

literally most of the people who bought/is going to buy re5 would not know the back story, for all they know it's some high profile (3rd person) shooter
hence they are not going to be playing it for the 're'
the thing is, the RE4 # don't really account for stuff like used games and borrowing from friends, so more people played it then shows. Plus I don't think that meny people play RE5 for the story

donny2112

ccbfan said:
I think the sales of RE4 Wii and RE5 show how horrendous of an idea it was to make RE exclusive for the Gamecube.

I think at the time, it wasn't a great idea, but it was Mikami's push to do so. In retrospect, it was a great idea, though, as it gave them a mindshare presence on what would be the biggest console userbase for the next generation. Not that they've done much with that advantage (two original spinoff light-gun games and three remakes
need more RE4:Wii-type games
), though.

Top Bottom