• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 3 SNES remake fan translation released

Aeana

UPDATE, 8/21/09: The final 1.0 release is now available:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,8929.0.html
http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1323/

http://www.dqtranslations.com/downloads/DQ3 English Translation RC1.zip

153w3dw.jpg
2f03kvl.jpg
ekjcqb.jpg

20h3tl0.jpg
o94sif.jpg
33mlt75.jpg

As the title says, the fan translation of Dragon Quest 3 SNES has finally been released. This has been a long time coming, so I hope everybody who hasn't played this version will finally give it a shot!

I intended to make this a "GAF Plays" thread, but I think the majority of people who would be interested in this are currently in the middle of other games (Dragon Quest 5 DS, Retro Game Challenge, Star Ocean 4), and so I didn't do that. Feel free to use this thread for that means, though!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
YES.
Gonna test it on my PSP forthwith. Still pissed that I could never get the FE3 translation working on the PSP.

lyre

My replay of the game with just the hero and a jester may prompt me to fire up this version after my current GBC play.

JayDubya

Banned
Hells yeah. This is one I haven't done yet, actually.

I first played through II when the DQ I&II SNES remake patch came out, and that was just before I tackled the V fan translation. I imagine that would have been a frustrating game at NES speeds.

Like IV, I had only ever played it at a friend's house, though; like IV, I'd buy a I-III DS compilation in a heartbeat.

Oh shit, V is out on DS, too. I need to read Gaming more often. :lol

Mejilan

Ah, looks like it's not yet the final, bug-free patch. Still, it's good to see it out and about.

Mejilan

Didn't get very far, since I'm in the middle of other portable goodies at the moment. I only went so far as to see if it booted up, and if it was, in fact, in English. I picked my name and gender, then started answering the start-up questions, before shutting down. Didn't notice anything looking, feeling, or sounding off, but then again, DQIII isn't a game that works the SNES in any fashion, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Sah-weet! Cannot wait

I definitely would be down for a gaf plays thread.

Aeana

Mejilan said:
Ah, looks like it's not yet the final, bug-free patch. Still, it's good to see it out and about.
No, but it's pretty much done. They just want to do a final revision and see if anybody comes across any weird bugs (despite it being beta tested by several people) before declaring it final.

It's too bad they didn't go through with their plans to release two versions of the patch, though, for the classic Dragon Warrior spell names and the new official ones. Oh well.

ElFly

Aeana said:
No, but it's pretty much done. They just want to do a final revision and see if anybody comes across any weird bugs (despite it being beta tested by several people) before declaring it final.

It's too bad they didn't go through with their plans to release two versions of the patch, though, for the classic Dragon Warrior spell names and the new official ones. Oh well.

Which nomenclature are they using? Not that I care a lot.

I will probably be on this once I finish with a couple of games I've going on (DQVI SNES since the remake is taking forever).

Aeana said:

What set did they end up using? While I'm fine with the old DW iterations, I do like the new official spell names more.

Mejilan

Aeana said:

Fine by me, so long as they went with the new names. :)
Did they?

I was a bit annoyed to learn that the DQM3 Caravan Heart translation waffled back and forth between new and old conventions. I read the readme and understand the sentiment behind it, but still think it was stupid.

Aeana

ElFly said:
Which nomenclature are they using? Not that I care a lot.

I will probably be on this once I finish with a couple of games I've going on (DQVI SNES since the remake is taking forever).
The old Dragon Warrior names, probably because they're already made for the length restrictions and fit into the menus.

Also, thanks KurowaSan!

john tv

A few years ago I'd have been more excited about this, but considering how good the recent DQ localizations have been (and how awful the fan ones usually are), it's kinda hard to go back at this point. :/

Aeana

I know what you mean, John. I'm just glad that my friends can finally enjoy this version of the remake, though. It's so much more enjoyable than the GBC version.
I can't speak for the quality of this particular translation, although my scans through the script at the wiki showed a pretty competent job. I'll probably give it a play myself eventually.

And hey, the DQ5 fan translation was really quite good. :O

Mejilan

Yeah, after finding out that they went the DW route over DQ, I can definitely wait until the thing goes final. I've been meaning to replay the GBC game for a couple of years now, but with DQV here, it's back on the shelf, so to speak. I'll definitely give this version a go once the patch goes final, however.

Mejilan

Should work fine on that, though I see no reason why you'd want to stick with such an obsolete CFW.

pje122

Mejilan said:
Should work fine on that, though I see no reason why you'd want to stick with such an obsolete CFW.

I do plan on updating eventually (maybe sometime this year), but I'm currently sticking with this because its stable. Sort of a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. Am I really missing out on much?

Mejilan

3.90 M33-x was stable. 4.01 M33-x was stable. 5.00 M33-6 is stable (and awesome).
Yes, you're missing out on the new dual-wave look. You're missing out on PSN access. You're missing out on the new POPSLoader. You're missing out on the M33 Network Update (which makes future updates painless and easy.)

You're missing out.

pje122

Mejilan said:
3.90 M33-x was stable. 4.01 M33-x was stable. 5.00 M33-6 is stable (and awesome).
Yes, you're missing out on the new dual-wave look. You're missing out on PSN access. You're missing out on the new POPSLoader. You're missing out on the M33 Network Update (which makes future updates painless and easy.)

You're missing out.

Well OK; I used to follow your CFW thread but I stopped about 8-10 months ago because things were moving too fast for me and I couldn't keep up. I'll have to pop in there again soon.

xSL4INx

Been waiting for this, just started DQ3 on the GBC, but I'd rather play the SFC version. Starting tonight! Thanks OP!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Awesome! Will check it out!

JayDubya

Banned
Woah. It asks MY name, my DoB, and personality questions now... what gives?

Game is different... :lol

Edit: So, I'm Macho? Man, I need to know what this does before I get started.

JayDubya said:
So what does Personality do?
Each of the personalities give different multipliers to various stats when you level up. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll have ample opportunities to modify the personality as you go.

As an example, with "Macho", on level up your strength bonus is 115% of what it would normally be, but your INT bonus will be 90% of what it would have been and your luck bonus will be 60%.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
About time. I had heard they were going to release it on the 28th but was still a bit apprehensive due to some of the major bullshit that does go on in the hacking/trans scene.

Cheerilee

JayDubya said:
Woah. It asks MY name, my DoB, and personality questions now... what gives?

Game is different... :lol

Edit: So, I'm Macho? Man, I need to know what this does before I get started.
You can answer the yes/no questions randomly, they just determine which "final test" scenario you're given. How you act in your final test determines which personality you're given.

To be a sexy girl, and get the highest overall stat gains, you have to...

A) Play as a girl.
B) Be given the test with the
King going to war on his Queen's false word
C)
Tell the guy in the side room that the King is always right (even though he's wrong)

Cheerilee

Oh and, just to head off a question that's bound to get asked sooner or later, as the readme says, you have to apply this patch to an unheadered ROM. Here's how you do that.

First, have a ROM of DQIII. I won't ask where it came from, so don't tell me. Next, have the patch. It's in the OP. Now I suggest you get Snes Tool, if you don't have it already. It's ancient. Zophar's Domain has it, among many other places.

Unzip Snes Tool to a folder, extract the ROM (if it's zipped) and toss it into the Snes Tool folder, doing the same with the patch. Now launch Snes Tool, and you should see this.

2wrhum9.png

Press the "D" key for "Delete header" and use your up and down arrows to select the ROM (it should be the one with a .smc file extension). Hit enter. Once that's done, you want to hit "U" for Use IPS. There should only be one patch in your folder, so hit enter. Now it says to select your game, so use the arrow keys and the enter button. It should say "IPS patched ok." That means you're done. Take your patched ROM and go play.

farnham said:
is there any difference to the DQ 3 game on GBC ??

(outside of the graphics)
Audio. :lol

Top Bottom