• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure Thread: Mega Man+Puzzle League

Firestorm

2j198r9.png

Title: Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Genre: Hybrid (Platformer / Beat 'em Up / Puzzle)
Platform: Nintendo DS
Players: Single Player
Developer: Electronic Arts (EA Tiburon)
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Release Date:
- North America: March 17th, 2009
- Europe: March 20th, 2009

Hatsworthcover.png

What is it?
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure is a hybrid that's a little hard to explain. On the top screen you play it like a Castlevania-esque game where you platform and kill enemies. On the bottom screen, you have a Puzzle League style game going on very slowly. When you want to play the puzzle game, you pause the upper screen and play it on the lower screen. Enemies you kill in the platformer become puzzle pieces and puzzle pieces you clear in the puzzle game help you in the platforming game. Enemy pieces in the puzzle game that reach the top respawn in the platformer.

Specific pieces also need to be cleared to get past specific obstacles in the platforming segments. Check out videos for more insights into this bizarre game.

Check out some videos for a better idea.

Videos
First Trailer
Puzzle Enemy Trailer (Check this for how the gameplay works)

Images
2a5ja1e.jpg
148d4p3.jpg
157zoyq.jpg
2hs1y80.jpg

Reviews
Nate Ralph (Game|Life): 9/10
Nate Ralph said:
On their own, the adventure and puzzle segments of Henry Hatsworth would not be especially interesting videogames. But this experiment succeeds because of how well the two genres play off one another. While certain level elements can feel monotonous, the core experience is sound, delivering controlled chaos into the palms of your achy, sweating hands.

Mark Bozon (IGN): 9.0/10
Mark Bozon said:
There isn’t much more that can be said about Hatsworth without coming right out and telling you to buy it, which is exactly what I’m doing. The game blends the action/patforming genre with traditional puzzle gaming very well, the music, visuals, character design, and story is all completely over the top, and the action elements are a total love letter to dozens of different games spanning a handful of different schools of design. The pop-up combat feels great, and is a perfect way to hide more hardcore elements into an easily accessible game, while upgrades, mobility, level design, and game progression (the introduction of new enemy types, repeating anti-hero “rival” battles, new mechanics, and the like) show just how much detail went into making Hatsworth a game for the ages. There’s a bit of a “been there, done that” feeling with some of the platformer elements, but those are easily outshined by an impressive and unique blending of two screens, two genres, and two fully-realized mechanics running in tandem.

Ellie Gibson (Eurogamer): 7/10
Ellie Gibson said:
However, while the platformer and the puzzler in Henry Hatsworth are perfectly competent, they're nothing special. Neither could be described as classic examples of their genre, and neither offer anything new. The switching mechanic does add interest, but not quite enough to make Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure a great game. If you just can't get enough Bejeweled and don't mind a decent 2D platformer now and again though, it's fun.

Alice Liang (1UP): B/A+
Alice Liang said:
When I say Henry Hatsworth is a platform-puzzler, does that mean anything to you? Calling it that seems pretty self-explanatory; it's one part platformer, with you jumping around 2D levels and killing monsters, and one part puzzle game, of the now-standard match-three variety. But that's simplifying things a bit. The expert blending of those two game types is what really defines this DS adventure. The top screen contains the "real world," wherein the safari-suited Hatsworth leaps from ledge to ledge, swatting away at baddies that've leaked into his reality from the puzzle world, represented on the bottom screen by an ever-rising grid of colored blocks. As separate games, the two sections are mundane takes on their respective genres. But put together, and, more importantly, integrated in such a way that inextricably links the worlds to one another, the two pieces fit like hot tea and crumpets. It's a shame, then, that little missteps keep this game from being entirely enjoyable.

If I wasn't knee deep in Dragon Quest V and hadn't just purchased Fire Emblem I would totally buy this day one. It looks so compellingly weird.

Hive

Banned
TheEastonator said:
efaufaeo
I don't know whether to buy this or Retro Game Challenge first :(

if u don't mind me suggesting, get RGC first, because we are all hoping for the sequel!

Hatsworth has Nintendo backing it, so I think it will do fine in the long run~

Firestorm

markot said:
Ummmmm... The Wired review wasnt by Kohler >.>!
Crap. Had only companies up but remembered how much I hated reviews being attributed to outlets rather than individuals, then forgot to change the placeholder for Wired. Thanks.

markot

Banned
Also, since you started this thread, you must know the answer to my question!

When is this coming out in Australia ^_~?

Balb

It seems interesting but I hope it's not one of those gaming industry darlings that get a ton of respect, only to fall short of the hype once I actually play the game.

Infernal Monkey said:
The game's not showing up on any Aussie online retailers. :( Might look into importing this.
I'll send you a copy of Henry Hatsworth if you send me a copy of Giana Sisters DS, lol.

edit: Multiple typos in one sentence... time for bed methinks.

JEKKI

his name is henry and he's a dood.

he goes on adventures and eats sum food.

and he wears a hat, and he fights a bat.

how do u like that?

he likes to play a puzzle and drink sum tea.

he drink so much that he has to pee

so he takes a break, and he eats sum cake,

and he sees a pretty girl and says "good day mate!"

I'm throwing my wad of sweat-soaked bills at Amazon for preorder. Thank you, sound track (got me at "Cake or Death"), for helping me decide.

Median said:
GTA on Tuesday, this on Wednesday...it's a good week to have a DS :D

Understatement of the century.

My DS-heavy week:

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Suikoden Tierkreis
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Valkyrie Profile
TrackMania DS
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time

Vyse The Legend said:

My DS-heavy week:

Suikoden Tierkreis
Valkyrie Profile
TrackMania DS
Good lord the ds is a monster

abstract alien said:
Good lord the ds is a monster
That's the understatement of the month. Anyway, everyone must download the epic soundtrack. It's got banjo and that tooth-pickin' instrument in it.

Hive

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:

My DS-heavy week:

Suikoden Tierkreis
Valkyrie Profile
TrackMania DS

yea, i'm getting all of those, too~ Not sure which one I'll be playing first

Tendo

in stores tomorrow or ship tomorrow? i'm leaving on a jet plane 6 am wednesday. please say in stores tomorrow.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wait, what is the puzzle aspect of the game similar to again? It says "Puzzle League" in the thread title (yay) but "Bejeweled" (eh) in the Eurogamer review?

Firestorm

Kiriku said:
Wait, what is the puzzle aspect of the game similar to again? It says "Puzzle League" in the thread title (yay) but "Bejeweled" (eh) in the Eurogamer review?
Puzzle League. About 17 seconds into this video you'll see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UKTVW2SHN0

Block switching games seem to just have that "It's like Bejewelled" moniker now sort of like open ended games are "like Grand Theft Auto".

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hatsworth is an amazing, amazing premise for a game.

It's like someone reached deep into my subconscious and asked it "WHAT DO YOU WANT OUT OF YOUR DREAM VIDEOGAME???" and it spewed out the premise for Henry Hatsworth. A premise so awesome, yet so seemingly ridiculous and unworkable that I wouldn't have dared think of it, or speak of it out loud.

I feel like it's a game made just for me.

Tobor

Too. Many. Awesome. DS. Games.

I have a stack of must play titles rising and I just keep on buying. I bought Peggle and GTA today, and I would have picked HH up as well. I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

colinp

Banned
Hmm, looks like GAF might ignore this game in favor of OMGWTFBBQ GTA on DS. Bad GAF!

Picked up my copy today. Had to have them dig it out of the box as it had not been opened yet, but it looked like there were another three copies available.

stuminus3

Stupid DS and it's overwhelming amounts of awesome.

I don't think the launch of Pokemon and GTA this week will matter much to the sales of this game in the long run, it never had a chance at big front-loaded sales in the first place. EA are probably hoping it'll do a Boom Blox and pick up over time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i can't decide whether to buy this day one or wait and have it and Rhythm Heaven as my DSi launch games.

... on the other hand, i need to keep up with Mejilan, so I should probably buy it ASAP.

beelzebozo said:
i finally understand the gameplay after i watched that second trailer :lol

so this is out? i want to buy it.

today!

colinp

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
... on the other hand, i need to keep up with Mejilan, so I should probably buy it ASAP.

:lol That is definitely a fool's game- there is no way you can win!
I picked up FF: Chocobo Tales before he did way back when and decided that was good enough. =p

Top Bottom