• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New BIOSHOCK 2 Teaser Site Launches

MirageDwarf said:
Site updated with new content. One blurry photo of big sister is in there.
That's two updates in one day. I hope this Mark Meltzer guy is in the game: it'd provide a unique view of how an average person (or close to "average") would react to Rapture and the state it is in.

this guy

I'm really intrigued by what's in these last few updates. It sounds like the U.S. government knows of Rapture's existence, or at least suspects it. I hope that this gets fleshed out in the game somehow.

this guy said:
I'm really intrigued by what's in these last few updates. It sounds like the U.S. government knows of Rapture's existence, or at least suspects it. I hope that this gets fleshed out in the game somehow.

That's what's been on my mind during all this. Remember that Ryan's first suspicions of Jack were that he was CIA. It would have been impossible for such large-scale activities of a business tycoon with strong political opinions, to have escaped government notice.

The government may have stepped back and allowed it to continue to see what would happen, or maybe Ryan's trail went cold. It's possible that the plane crash and Jack's surfacing and return to the outside world may have lead them to Rapture's exact location.

Maybe the higher-ups are trying to avoid taking action about Rapture until they can enact their own plans to exploit it, or maybe to prevent attracting the attention of Soviet spies to an undersea trove of advanced technology?

Sounds good, but I'm really annoyed with the decision just to tack on co-op which would ruin the feeling of Bioshock. I'd rather they built the game around it (if they were going to include it) and give us something that we'd never seen before.

pringles

Spirit of Jazz said:
Sounds good, but I'm really annoyed with the decision just to tack on co-op which would ruin the feeling of Bioshock. I'd rather they built the game around it (if they were going to include it) and give us something that we'd never seen before.
So far only "multiplayer" is confirmed. We don't know if it will be co-op, deathmatch or both.

Mau ®

Sound good. Although Im not thrilled with a return to rapture. I was hoping it woul take place on mainland for 1/4 of the game before going to Rapture.

But the Big Sister looks damn creepy. I believe the battles will be intense. At least it'll be more horror-oriented :D

FLEABttn

Banned
The urban decay that's taken place in the duration between the last game and this game could lead to some very cool environments.

I hope 2K Marin has taken that into consideration.

pringles said:
So far only "multiplayer" is confirmed. We don't know if it will be co-op, deathmatch or both.

Sorry, must of missed all the details of the leaks. I guess that might be better, death match could work pretty well if the plasmids are handled correctly.

Hopefully this guy is humanized, I don't want to play a big dumb lunk. I guess it's a comment on the state of the fps protagonist and he's as simple minded as Jack was but still, how revelatory can a story be and how scary can it be when you're a big dumb juggernaut?

Spoo

Yeah, just to be more specific so people know what's in the mag. I don't consider these spoilers, but read at your own will:

You're a big daddy, the original, a renegade, and your weapon set will be completely unique. You can have your weapons out and available while using your other hand for plasmids (I assume you can mix and match now; we'll see!).

Full-body awareness is in. Like in Mirror's Edge you can look down, see your feet, etc. You're not as large as the other bid daddys, so I assume you'll move at a similar pace that you're used to.

The Big Sister is, confirmed, a little sister who came back to Rapture. She'll be a huge part of the story and the primary "bad guy."

That's the only info that I haven't seen widely available. It all looks fucking great, and I hate myself for doubting even slightly the team at work here. There's no mention as to whether or not you get "prequel" segments in the game. My bet is that you'll pick up radio shit to learn about yourself as a character. In general, it all sounds fucking fantastic. It sounds a little like you'll move from level to level by walking on the ocean floor, but that's just a guess. You'll definately be able to go out into the ocean though.

I hope that we hear more about the Meltzer guy some how. I hope he's a main character in the game or something.

A brief segment in the article described the arrival of a Big Sister. You see a glowing red light, and the Big Sister can literally jump around from one side of the room to another, hit you with her "Adam Stinger", etc. She sounds fucked up and awesome.

Time to replay BioShock.

Robut said:
Hopefully this guy is humanized, I don't want to play a big dumb lunk. I guess it's a comment on the state of the fps protagonist and he's as simple minded as Jack was but still, how revelatory can a story be and how scary can it be when you're a big dumb juggernaut?

You have nothing to fear. From the sound of things in the article, you're basically a big mistake. A big daddy who has access to plasmids, is more agile, etc. You're just like the character in the first game, really: a creation of Rapture's scientists who went wrong, and you're "smart." You're out there, taking out Big Daddys, perhaps the Big Sister. Yes, you're a big daddy, but there's a story here to tell, and being a Big Daddy -- the original -- is as good as any a device to tell it.

It's difficult to control something that's not "dumb", and so, I assume the Big Daddy you're playing as is something that maintains some of its humanity. It obviously has goals -- afterall, there's a game to beat here ;)

Today ladies and gentleman, I am going to lay forth the case that the mysterious Big Sister is none other than Masha Lutz, daughter of Sam and Mariska Lutz from the first game.

Fact: Big Sister is targeting girls with shoulder length brunette hair between the ages of 5-7.

Fact: Masha also has shoulder length brunette hair and looks very similar to the girls kidnapped. In fact, her picture could well have been one of the girls featured on the site. He picture can be found in her parent's room in the Fighting Mcdonagh.

Fact: Masha was the ONLY little sister to be named in the first game.

(Mostly) Fact: The girl in the teaser trailer has a Big Daddy doll and included on the doll is the bottle cap of a coffee/cola native to Rapture, so clearly she is a former Rapturian. Also, we can assume that the trailer would have chosen to focus on this saved Little Sister only if she is the one to later become Big Sister.

Fact: Assuming the girl in question is Big Sister, she ALSO has the same shoulder length brunette hair that Masha and the kidnapped girls possess.

Therefore, I believe it is likely that Big Sister is in fact, Masha Lutz who is targeting young girls that look similar to her at that age for unknown reasons

Just remember you heard it here first folks. :D

KGKK

Banned
"Call me sister....Big Sister"
Fuck can't wait. Hopefully there will be more of a variety of splicers this time and more scripted fucked up events like in the beginning of Bioshock where you see the splicer shadow with the stroller.

Scarecrow said:
Sounds super plausible to me.

Thank you!

On a side note, the trailer is really seen in a dramatically different, more sinister light if you view it with the notion that the mysterious girl is Masha/Big Sister. Like one thing people debated about was what the city being created out of sand represented. One of the things i have read is that Big Sister will use a telekinesis attack on you if she finds you. So with that knowledge, we can view the sand city literally being created out of telekinesis, which would also explain her jerky head movements while this was going on.

Another interesting possibility is that the blue butterfly at the end of the trailer represents her transformation from gatherer to protector.

Azzwanker

Banned
monkspider said:
Today ladies and gentleman, I am going to lay forth the case that the mysterious Big Sister is none other than Masha Lutz, daughter of Sam and Mariska Lutz from the first game.

Fact: Big Sister is targeting girls with shoulder length brunette hair between the ages of 5-7.

Fact: Masha also has shoulder length brunette hair and looks very similar to the girls kidnapped. In fact, her picture could well have been one of the girls featured on the site. He picture can be found in her parent's room in the Fighting Mcdonagh.

(Mostly) Fact: The girl in the teaser trailer has a Big Daddy doll and included on the doll is the bottle cap of a coffee/cola native to Rapture, so clearly she is a former Rapturian. Also, we can assume that the trailer would have chosen to focus on this saved Little Sister only if she is the one to later become Big Sister.

Fact: Assuming the girl in question is Big Sister, she ALSO has the same shoulder length brunette hair that Masha and the kidnapped girls possess.

Therefore, I believe it is likely that Big Sister is in fact, Masha Lutz who is targeting young girls that look similar to her at that age for unknown reasons

Sounds about right :) nice theory

Feindflug

Well I'm not a big fan of the new story details that were unveiled but I still have faith in the new director as he was the creator of the best level in the first game so I guess there is still hope for a special game...hopefully they also improved their custom UE2.5/3(?) engine.

Can't wait to see a gameplay video.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
So I saw this
315fxu0.png

And now I made this with my gf
25irgbs.png

2cx6ik5.png

I will change the thingy on the back a soon I find something better.

bottles

monkspider said:

Yeah, it could be Masha. But even if so, the fact that she’s the only Little Sister to be named in BioShock isn’t so much a clue to her eventually becoming the Big Sister (I don’t think Levine ever intended for her to become evil – she was just a plot device), it would be the sole reason why. She’d be an easy pick for 2K Marin, but I’d rather see something, you know, more thought out than a former Little Sister smoldering with generic rage.

edit: kamorra that is awesome.

Spoo
Awesome stuff

Great to hear that any doubts are quietened after reading the article.

I'm just really interested to see how Bioshock 2 comes together.

I'm glad to see that it's not simply going to be a rehash, which is probably the thing I was most worried about.

More emphasis on horror / scares with the Big Sister looking like a potent nemesis, is great to me - I think the original lacked in that area.

Spoo:
I noticed a quote on some scans that hint that Tenenbaum has at least something to do with the Big Sister? Can you shed anything else on that?

monkspider
Cool theory
However it pans out, it will be great to see how the story is integrated with the originals

Are there factions / point of views that we haven't seen yet?

Continuity is going to be key I think, and the more little touches and nods to elements of the original are crucial. That's why I was never sold on the fact that Rapture was a once only deal - it has so much more to offer I think.

Fireflu

kamorra said:
So I saw this
315fxu0.png

And now I made this with my gf
25irgbs.png

2cx6ik5.png

I will change the thingy on the back a soon I find something better.
That is fantastic! excellent job! if they were ever to package a big daddy fig with the collectors edition of the next game (like they did with the first) i would want it to look just like this :O

monkspider said:
She very well might be. Poor, poor Masha; you got to feel sorry for her parents. The actors in the original BioShock were so good.

Spoo said:
Yeah, just to be more specific so people know what's in the mag. I don't consider these spoilers, but read at your own will:
So will we be getting regular weapons like the shotgun and such? Or, at least, a Big Daddy version of the shotgun?

@ kamorra, FANTASTIC job. You and your GF should be proud.

Blueblur1

I must say that this is all fantastic news. I'm glad they went with something original and unique. I'm really looking forward to revisiting Rapture again. :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sounds like the very opposite of a cash-in. a well thought out concept that is wholly different from the original game, and will perhaps deliver on some of the promise of the first game's segment during which you got to "become a big daddy."

it's sounding very impressive thus far, and the big sister dynamic sounds almost analogous to the nemesis threat in r.e.3, which was very effective.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
gollumsluvslave said:
+1

I got that vibe and called t a few pages back.

quick to the punch! good call, sir.

i think that'll probably be made even more freaky by the fact that it's going to be presented in the first person.

very impressed with 2k marin conceptually thus far. i'll be interested to see if they can prove their talents go beyond porting.

beelzebozo said:
quick to the punch! good call, sir.

i think that'll probably be made even more freaky by the fact that it's going to be presented in the first person.

very impressed with 2k marin conceptually thus far. i'll be interested to see if they can prove their talents go beyond porting.
A DS9 fan and a BioShock fan?

I love you.

Spoo

gollumsluvslave said:
Spoo:
I noticed a quote on some scans that hint that Tenenbaum has at least something to do with the Big Sister? Can you shed anything else on that?

Well, there's a quote where Tenenbaum is speaking about the Big Sister and how she's come back to turn all the girls into monsters like herself. Tenenbaum says "this... is all my fault." I take it there's a more interesting history behind her relationship with the girl; we'll see.

Dax01 said:
So will we be getting regular weapons like the shotgun and such? Or, at least, a Big Daddy version of the shotgun?

Big Daddy versions; but Jordan made a point to say in the article that nobody really wants just a "shotgun" or a "pistol" -- the big daddy weapons will be big, mean, and powerful. Stuff like that boltgun from the first game will be available for sure (the one that explodes on impact).

Also, no specifics were mentioned, but the author says that the team hinted heavily at being able to mix your weapons with your plasmids -- this makes a lot of sense since you can have your left hand use plasmids, and your right use your weapon. I expect things like being able to imbue projectiles with plasmid or something.

Puck

Banned
Going to look amazing on the UT3 (or UT4, i wish) engine instead of a heavily modded UT2. Bioshock 1 looked amazing, but 2 can look a lot better.

Final update to something in the sea will fill in the gap probably, wonder when it's coming up.

Hey guys, my issue arrived today too! Here are a few choice quotes.

"Things about Rapture are sustaining themselves. It's been ten years and it feels like it's found this kind of equilibrium. The ecology is working in this cycle, whereas before, you got the idea that in six months no one was going to be left."

In regards to Bioshock's philosophical ideas and critique of objectivism: "We're using what players understand of Bioshock 1 and what they understand about Rapture to spring into other ideas. It wouldn't really be Bioshock if you dont' end up thinking about it and the ideas behind the environment you're standing in."

Also the ocean floor sequences are intended to give the player a relaxing breather and a chance to appreciate the beauty of the city. They won't encounter any enemies and you can sometimes see old areas you are famillar with. It mentions that you can look into a window at one point and see the Welcome Center from the start of the first game.

Bioshock 2 will be scarier than Bioshock 1.

It will feature interesting new characters on the level of Sander Cohen or Frank Fontaine.

Big Sister is "someone with history in Rapture".

There new upgrade paths for plasmids/tonics that will let you specialize in different things and upgrade your character in radically different ways. They really want to improve this aspect of the game compared to Bioshock 1. There will be all sorts of different gameplay and tactical choices, both for offense and defense.

There will be "iconic landmarks" to anchor you to the first game.

Big Sister views the Rapture ideal as when Little Sisters are with their Big Daddies.

The moral choices in the game will have much more of an impact on the environment than in Bioshock 1.

They realize players are going to be keeping an eye out for a twist, and they are designing the game with this in mind.

eshwaaz

soldat7 said:
Multiplayer has been confirmed; To that I say "Why bother?"

Because no matter what kind of game you're making, people will always bitch about the lack of multiplayer, whether it fits the design, tone or aesthetic of the game or not. Focused single-player experiences are apparently not good enough anymore.

soldat7

speculawyer said:
Is this a pre-quel? I want more Sander Cohen.

I need more Sander Cohen.

Bioshock 2 takes place 10 years after the events of Bioshock 1. The devs say there will be other similarly colorful characters...although can anyone really match up to old Sander Cohen? :)

eshwaaz said:
Because no matter what kind of game you're making, people will always bitch about the lack of multiplayer, whether it fits the design, tone or aesthetic of the game or not. Focused single-player experiences are apparently not good enough anymore.

Lemme guess...these are the same people that will probably never fire it up and retreat back to Halo and Call of Duty...

Multiplayer is a waste of time developers, a big waste of time.

eshwaaz said:
??? I though it was the other way around. Any game that has muliplayer, babies just bitch and say it's ruining the SP and they refuse to even attempt to judge MP fairly on it's merits. There are already people here damning something they don't know anything about. One game with MP one without, seems like a decnt idea

pringles

speculawyer said:
Is this a pre-quel? I want more Sander Cohen.

I need more Sander Cohen.
It's not a prequel, but since you are apparantly controlling the original Big Daddy, I could definitely see how they could get some flashback stuff in there. I hope they do, it would be great to get to see more of Rapture before it turned crazy.

I was seriously concerned about the original (fake) leaked details... but it really does sound great. Can't wait to see it in action.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The story details sound really great. I'm just concerned about the
BD/LS
relationship and its impact on gameplay.

Top Bottom