• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

Rad-

Looks damn good. I hope it's fun to play.

SimCity 2013 was very good other than the major fact that it had horrible city limits. Ugh they really fucked up with that engine.

Pandemic

It looks pretty solid. I'm tempted to pre-order, and will eventually do so, but the latest SimCity game has put doubt in my mind!

Pre-ordering, and getting hyped for that game was a mistake, eh. If only the cities weren't so limited..

Munin

There's something about this game's desaturated art style that makes it look incredibly dull and lifeless, like it was some sort of CAD program. A shame because mechanically it looks great.

MrBali

Neo Member
So I had pre-ordered cities XXL. I didn't get a chance to play it yet, but this thread is making me sad.

SimCity 2013 map size. 2km squared.

Skylines map, size. 36km squared.

Whether 36km2 is bigger or smaller than other games in history or not, I'm just happy as hell to have 48x more space than I got in SC2013.

Oh and you can make bus lines that buses will actually stick to. YOU HEAR THAT MAXIS???? NOT BUSES THAT TRAVEL RANDOMLY CORNER TOMCORNER ON THE MAP TO PICK UP ONE GUY, ACTUAL BUS LINES..

And you can highlight an area, give it a name and set certain rules. For instance you highlight an industrial zone, call it "Farmington" and set policies that only allow agricultural industries to operate there. You can also use this district highlighting tool to locally set 'ordinances' like smoke detector mandates etch.

And you can build dams that can change water levels next to rivers......

And citizens don't magically appear and disappear. They have persistent homes and jobs.

And you have to make sure there are sufficient cemeteries for when citizens die.

And you can edit and designs parkwith props.

And roundabouts.

Its like someone took the good parts of SimCity 4, Cities XL, SimCity 2013 and cities in motion, and made an potentially awesome game with it.

Ive seen some months ago the devs playing a city on this game and doing some interesting things, and it was really amazing.
I really liked Cities in Motion, so im there probably day one if all works correctly at the end.

Seems something similar is going to happen to the theme park simulation genre. Some devs are going in the race of making the best Roller Coaster Tycoon spiritual successor, while Atari is doing a shitfest with RCTWorld (just read the official forums and devblogs). I really hope Frontier makes the RCT3 spiritual successor I need in my life, with things that didnt work fixed (basically the economics simulations and peep behaviour aspect), and with every good aspect the game had and then some. I think they are the only one that knows how to make it, after making a great one with RCT3. You can also play a RCT1 clone by some indie devs, and a theme park builder simulator (not game) with Theme Park Studio.

Darklord

Banned
So true.

Even though Simcity is fundamentally broken with many of its gameplay mechanics, it still carried me for 30 hours just on the feeling alone of building out a city. The music, the sound effects, the animations of buildings rising out of the ground, the feeling of having stuff respond under your mouse cursor was all sublime.

I couldn't even play it for 30 hours because I could never log on. My biggest issue with Sim City is while everything looks pretty and stylish you quickly realize things are completely hollow and broken. The AI is horrendous, the population numbers are fake, even the basic water, plumbing, and electricity was broken. You could also break it in your favour a bunch of ways making the whole thing feel pointless.

After Cities XXL I'm on a holding pattern. I don't need to buy another full priced simulator that I don't play because its hopelessly whacked.

Qassim

The data views look like they're taken from SimCity, but that's a great thing.

SimCity2013 nailed quite a few things. A surprising amount, in fact, but fell down in very fundamental ways after a certain point. I think that's what made that game all the more disappointing. So many cool ideas, some cool implementations, but you hit a wall quite early on due to many broken mechanics and design limitations.

I think SimCity2013 wasn't too far away from being a very good game. Hopefully this game can take it beyond that wall SimCity put up after a few hours.

jtb

Banned

Whether 36km2 is bigger or smaller than other games in history or not, I'm just happy as hell to have 48x more space than I got in SC2013.

Oh and you can make bus lines that buses will actually stick to. YOU HEAR THAT MAXIS???? NOT BUSES THAT TRAVEL RANDOMLY CORNER TOMCORNER ON THE MAP TO PICK UP ONE GUY, ACTUAL BUS LINES..

And you can highlight an area, give it a name and set certain rules. For instance you highlight an industrial zone, call it "Farmington" and set policies that only allow agricultural industries to operate there. You can also use this district highlighting tool to locally set 'ordinances' like smoke detector mandates etch.

And citizens don't magically appear and disappear. They have persistent homes and jobs.

And you have to make sure there are sufficient cemeteries for when citizens die.

And roundabouts.

Its like someone took the good parts of SimCity 4, Cities XL, SimCity 2013 and cities in motion, and made an potentially awesome game with it.

Mass transit is my favorite part of any city builder. It's the number one thing you can control, anyways, (road building) so when games don't give you the option to fuck with that... I mean, you're taking away basically the most important part of any city builder. Cities in Motion is great. More I read about this game, more hyped I get.

mj1108

502.gif

I guess I'm in. I'm just not sure if retail or steam only :) Does anyone already know if they use steam as their copy protection? if so, that would be great. edit: according to the newly arrived and incomplete german amazon page it does use steam as copy protection.

Keasar

I'm still curious how they got away with calling their game "Cities".

I have had friends going at me "Hey you know that new Sim City like game? It just got released!" *points at Cities XXL* and I have had to explain to them that it isnt the same game.

Soph

They'll be streaming and talking about the game later today from their PDXCON event starting at 15:00 CET.

www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Where did you get that they would talk about this as well? Colour me excited if so.

The Grand livestream schedule:

Where?
http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

When?

Thursday the 12th of February at 14:00 CET
Crusader Kings II with game director and creator of CK2 Henrik ”Doomdark” Fåhreus together with Arumba.

Friday the 13th of February 15:00 CET
Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado expansion with project lead Martin ”Wiz” Anward together with Arumba, Quill18 & Mathas

Friday the 13th of February 17:30 CET
Hearts of Iron IV with project lead Dan ”podcat” Lind together with Arumba & Quill18.

Rosur

And roundabouts.

Those details sound cool I might have to buy this Day One, been thinking I'll wait for the steam summer sale though...

bjaelke

Where did you get that they would talk about this as well? Colour me excited if so.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?834934-PDXCON-Stream-12-2-15-00-CET&
This is a heads up that we're going to livestream Cities: Skylines from our annual event, ParadoxCon, this week. We'll go live at 15:00 CET featuring the ever so lovely CO CEO Mariina and a surprise guest.

You can find the stream at www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

We'll be showing live gameplay and talk about, well, the game.

The post you're referring to only talks about internal game projects:
So, do you want to know more about Paradox Development Studio upcoming games and expansion?

MrGlass

As these guys work on the Cities in Motion series, hopefully there'll be some decent transportation management as well. The last time i played Cities XL it just didn't seem to have too much depth in terms of some of the micromanagement, i'm not sure if that's changed since but it put me off that series.

Hopefully this will be a proper successor to Simcity 4 + Rush Hour.

I just noticed that the developer's "home" is in the city I live in...

BEST GAME EVER!

But seriously I'm very interested how this will turn up, also it's only 28€. I might actually pull the trigger early on this one. Hopefully this will be a replacement for SimCity 4.

Please be good

zeox

After Cities XXL I'm on a holding pattern. I don't need to buy another full priced simulator that I don't play because its hopelessly whacked.
Not in the same series nor the same developer, and it is $30. That being said, I totally understand you being sceptic towards any city builder after the XXL train wreck ;(

Dryk

Cities: Skylines and Cities XXL coming out near each other when they're unrelated is so confusing. I didn't even realise until this thread pointed it out that it's because it's tangential to the Cities in Motion series :\

Cities in Motion was a game I (and maybe only me) have been waiting for my whole life. This looks to serve a specific niche too.
Good news! It's the same developer!

Also Cities in Motion really scratched an itch (I sort of didn't know I had) for me too, so you're not alone. Even though the simulation was really arcadey I kind of liked it for that.

Pandemic

And roundabouts.

What makes this even more impressive is that this is a pretty small team developing the game yet offers a lot of detail.

According to reddit, the map size can be nodded to a size of 100km2.

Compared with SimCity 2013s 4km2...

WNvViLr.jpg

What makes this even more impressive is that this is a pretty small team developing the game yet offers a lot of detail.

Yeah apparently there are only 13 people or so working on the game 0_0

samn

I couldn't even play it for 30 hours because I could never log on. My biggest issue with Sim City is while everything looks pretty and stylish you quickly realize things are completely hollow and broken. The AI is horrendous, the population numbers are fake, even the basic water, plumbing, and electricity was broken. You could also break it in your favour a bunch of ways making the whole thing feel pointless.

I completely agree, which is why I'm not yet sold on this game. Reviewers rarely spend enough time with strategy games to figure out whether they've got enough depth under the hood so I'll have to wait and see what the community thinks.

Seanspeed

Banned
From the video I saw, it already had a highway running through the map at the start. Is this a standard feature of all the maps? Optional?

mnemovore

What about all those issues with agents not actually doing what they said they'd do?

Really, after all the bald-faced lies they told before the release of the last game, anyone who trusts that they got it THIS TIME might as well have kickstarted Godus.

Edit: I am an idiot.

dex3108

What about all those issues with agents not actually doing what they said they'd do?

Really, after all the bald-faced lies they told before the release of the last game, anyone who trusts that they got it THIS TIME might as well have kickstarted Godus.

What lies?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
XL in everything but the name

That's a different game from a different company.

You talking about SimCity? That's a different game than this one.

Seanspeed

Banned

You might want to read a bit more before commenting.

Waikis

Thats... Sim city. This is Cities skylines, different developer.

From the video I saw, it already had a highway running through the map at the start. Is this a standard feature of all the maps? Optional?

Apparently maps can be nodded. I guess you could just create your own maps with or without preinstalled highways.

I'm just guessing as I haven't really paid much attention to mod in this game, but it would make sense.

Are you talking about Cities XL? Or XXL? If somthat game was made by Monte cristo, a different studio.

I think the games both use the unity engine as a base for their simulation, but it isn't the same people.

Top Bottom