• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazushige Nojima is writing the scenario for Dragon's Dogma Online

duckroll

NbJdAJx.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201502/16071622.html

This week's Famitsu will have a preview on the story of the game, introducing the world and setting, the characters, the base of operations for the Awakened player characters, and so on. There will also be an interview with Nojima and the producer.

Edit: I guess not everyone knows writers by name so I'll add some background info. Nojima worked on the scenario for FF7-8 and 10, and KH1-2. He also worked on the scenario for Versus XIII (which has turned into XV). He has previously worked with Capcom before on the Imaegepoch developed RPG The Last Ranker, which was also produced by the DDO producer.

Dragon's Dogma's scenario was led by Makoto Ikehara, who was previously the series director for Breath of Fire. I guess this means he probably isn't involved in the story this time.

dtKpwWf.jpg

CB12Y2Z.jpg

aravuus

Googled his name and turns out he's been the scenario writer for a bunch of Final Fantasies and KH games? Everything about DD's story and scenario was so bad it's good but damn, I guess DDO's could actually be good

Golnei

It could be a lot worse. At least people's expectations for DDO's story shouldn't be too high considering its predecessor.

Googled his name and turns out he's been the scenario writer for a bunch of Final Fantasies and KH games? Everything about DD's story and scenario was so bad it's good but damn, I guess DDO's could actually be good
Eh. People often blame Tetsuya Nomura for changing the tone and feel of Square's output, but convolution-era Square seems to line up perfectly with the prevalence of both Nojima and Toriyama. The latter gets his fair share of flack, but Kazushige "kicking exploding blitzballs" Nojima has slipped under a lot of radars. I don't even know why, because there is so much overlap between their projects that it's hard to judge where one's meandering rambles end and the other's begin.

I also still remember when this guy was asked to pitch a story for Smash Bros Brawl's single player mode, and his grand idea was "all the characters met up one day because they took the same bus." At least, like you said, Dragon's Dogma never put the bar too high to begin with.

I do wonder what the guy's workload is like right now though. I'm not sure how far in advance a game's script needs to be ready, and how late into the development it can still be subjected to changes. FFXV is quite a big endeavour that's still a long way off.

Riposte

Dragon's Dogma actually had a very interesting narrative, but it's pretty much completely back-loaded. In one sense this works if
you consider the game based on videogame words, which becomes mostly interesting once you "break" out of it.

ODDI

:/ I'm okay with this...I guess, it's not like the original DD strong point was it's story.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yikes, this actually stands a good chance of being even worse than the first game, story-wise.

I guess this might force people to realize how much of a hack he is.
I play Dragon's Dogma for its plot and characters. - said nobody ever
Well you are wrong, stranger. That is what I did.

It is not a good idea to make sweeping declaration for a wide and diverse population.

DDO plot summary...

They were all in an orphanage together, but they also had amnesia, and didn't realize they were already dead, as a result of the darkness in their hearts even though they were heartless themselves, but they came back to sing j-pop like angeals quoting poetry from the book of Genesis. Starring Gackt.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I guess this might force people to realize how much of a hack he is.

Pfftt. FF7, 8 and 10 are pretty highly regarded by a lot of people. And let's face it they are all far better written than the shambling mess that is FF9.

DDO plot summary...

They were all in an orphanage together, but they also had amnesia, and didn't realize they were already dead, as a result of the darkness in their hearts even though they were heartless themselves, but they came back to sing j-pop like angeals quoting poetry from the book of Genesis. Starring Gackt.

hmm. now i want to see that. i mean relive that.

Wow I can't believe i missed this.

I'm not familiar with the old FF games but judging from the responses, this won't be that big of a change in quality from the original game?

Eusis

I have to admit Dragon's Dogma has an interesting bigger picture setup that gives the endgame a novel vibe, but most of the actual story was crap.

Well, as stated the bar wasn't high to begin with.

xtradi

Banned
This week's Famitsu will have a preview on the story of the game, introducing the world and setting, the characters, the base of operations for the Awakened player characters, and so on. There will also be an interview with Nojima and the producer.

Is the awakened different from the Arisen? In The original dragon dogma, all NPC call the player the Arisen.

Still i like more being called Lethallin or Inquisitor hehehe

Pooya

this project is turning out quite good, who would have thought? there must be a catch somewhere...

Nojima's stories are many things but they are rarely ever boring, DD story was already madness, this is gonna be good :)

Rojo

this project is turning out quite good, who would have thought? there must be a catch somewhere...

Nojima's stories are many things but they are rarely ever boring, DD story was already madness, this is gonna be good :)

yup shit is gonna be crazy like the epilogue.

duckroll

Is the awakened different from the Arisen? In The original dragon dogma, all NPC call the player the Arisen.

Still i like more being called Lethallin or Inquisitor hehehe

No, it's the same term. Sorry, for some reason I thought it was Awakened. Lol.

Top Bottom