• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Imageepoch is possibly closing down

Clov

lol Ignition was really the worst. damn their localizations were so bad.

While I can't defend Ignition at all (they really were just plain terrible) they at least did do one good thing in bringing us Deadly Premonition.

Oh, and I liked El Shaddai too. So I guess that's two. Still, terrible company overall.

Takao

Banned
It's always sad to see a studio go, but they didn't have a good track record. They peaked with their publisher owned titles and subsequently ruined their name with some poor self-published efforts.

I just saw the link like 3 or 5 minutes ago too.

Stella Glow/Luminous Arc Infinity status looks shaky now.

Luminous Arc Infinity is being developed by Felistella. As far as we know, Imageepoch isn't involved.

The only game of theirs I have played is Sands of Destruction, which was very disappointing given the staff that worked on it. In fact, while I did slog my way through most of the game I did not bother to finish it. And man, those dungeon mazes were some of the most tedious I have ever seen.

mao2

They were happy with the sales of all 3 games, they didn't set the chart on fire, but it turn a little profit, too bad they focused on the PSP where they thought they had more audience and failed horribly.

Did anyone play Black Rock Shooter? Was it any good?
Their PSP titles actually did well, at least in Japan. Last Ranker, Black Rock Shooter, 7th Dragon 2020, 7th Dragon 2020-II, Fate/Extra, Fate/Extra CCC all sold over 100K copies. It was only after that they began to go downhill.

Sad...I wish we could've gotten their good output localized instead of the one we got --- namely Fate Extra and Criminal Girls.

If it makes you feel any better, Final Promise Story and Sol Trigger are both bad games.

The reality is that their best games were publisher owned titles. Stuff like The Last Ranker et all.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think the only game I wanted to try from them was Luminous Arc. That's about it.I played the demo of Sol Trigger. Presentation actually looked nice, but it didn't feel too fun. Oh, I guess I did want to try out Fate/Extra.

If the rumor ends up being true, nothing was really lost for me.

RyoonZ

Banned
Well at least I got to play this game

jD3eg5u1zWXlF.jpg

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It's always sad to see a studio go, but they didn't have a good track record. They peaked with their publisher owned titles and subsequently ruined their name with some poor self-published efforts.

Luminous Arc Infinity is being developed by Felistella. As far as we know, Imageepoch isn't involved.

then there's no need to get excited for LAI now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They released a game that was the winner of my worst best soundtrack of the year 2013!!!

WOOOOO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQn0FVmyrcI

Seriously, though. Gotta agree: IE had a lot of things going for them before. Last Ranker was good. Arc Rise Fantasia was pretty good and had some Tales staff on it and a pretty decent soundtrack with tracks composed by some newer composers who did a better job than Mitsuda on it. 7th Dragon was fun. The two Luminous Arc games I'd played were okay. World Destruction had some good ideas.

...then shit happened, they proclaimed that they were a saviour of Japanese-developed RPGs which didn't need saving in the first place and released a funny trailer about it, and they started pumping out crappy game after crappy game.

I don't particularly think, if the rumour proves to be true, that we are losing anything significant right now since the staff that worked on the good games they released years ago likely left.

Clov said:
Oh, and I liked El Shaddai too. So I guess that's two. Still, terrible company overall.
The funniest thing to me in retrospect is that El Shaddai managed to be their best localization pursuit. Talk about goin' out with a bang!

(though to be fair, Ignition Tokyo worked on it and they released a lot of merch and art books and jeans and whatever alongside it so the pressure was on to get the localization right from the get-go)

Bad voice acting don't bother me, or is it the music? Both?
You can actually toggle the voices off. The soundtrack is pretty good.

Horrendous voice acting. Not just bad, but ruinsome.

I think the only game I wanted to try from them was Luminous Arc. That's about it.I played the demo of Sol Trigger. Presentation actually looked nice, but it didn't feel too fun. Oh, I guess I did want to try out Fate/Extra.

If the rumor ends up being true, nothing was really lost for me.
Luminous Arc was pretty unremarkable. Standard anime RPG fare.

Haven't played a game of there's yet but I do have Arc Rise Fantasia and am excited to play it.

Love they got the Eureka character designer and I will enjoy the horrific voice acting.

I also Time and Eternity digitally for like $7 last year.

Some day I will experience that horror.

Terrell

Worst voice acting in the history of voice acting. It made me literally shut off the game about 20 minutes in and walk away from the console, I literally could not even.

I considered selling it before I had even played through 10 bloody minutes.

It's that fucking terrible. Worse than anything you could imagine.

But then you turn the sound/voices off, and it becomes pretty awesome. The game is unplayable otherwise, and shows how there is truly a reason to want better English dubbing in games.

Their PSP titles actually did well, at least in Japan. Last Ranker, Black Rock Shooter, 7th Dragon 2020, 7th Dragon 2020-II, Fate/Extra, Fate/Extra CCC all sold over 100K copies. It was only after that they began to go downhill.

Probably, some of them needed more than barely crack the 100k mark to break even. At some point, imageepoch was seriously investing in their games.

TriBlade

nah.

i'm all for hyperbole and all, but nah bro.

Definitely would recommend turning the voices off if you care that much though, or just playing it with the Japanese undub. There are probably like 1-2 decent VAs in the English version but lol, the first 1-5 hours of voice acting in the game are pretty bad!

Hahaha....my favorite is #3 and #7. I've seen this before and forgotten about. This make me want to hear it even more.

Terrell

The fact that this game isn't even listed on this website, let alone in the top 5, when nearly every single review ever written about this game mentions how terrible the voice acting is, tells me that this website means nothing. #3 on their Top 5 Worst is Resident Evil Director's Cut, which by comparison sounds like angels heard on high reciting poetry to the tune of a harp (albeit poetry about sandwiches and mastering the locksmith trade).

The example you cited was literally the publisher didn't even hire voice actors because they were so out of money that they couldn't (hence their closure the same year that game was published).

They HIRED people to be as bad as they are in Arc Rise Fantasia.
Nothing will trump this absolute madness. EVER.

Durante

Always sad to see a dev close down, but I can't say I'll miss them. I think World Destruction was considered one of their better games, and I found even that mediocre at best.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Not sure how I feel about this. They made some real stinkers lately, but they also made some games I liked like Black Rock Shooter and Luminous Arc. They're no Hit Maker.

Maybe if I got to play a localised copy of 7th Dragon I'd care. That's kind of the only worthwhile looking game they published and/or developed.

mao2

Probably, some of them needed more than barely crack the 100k mark to break even. At some point, imageepoch was seriously investing in their games.
Do you have a source for this?

Even so, their later titles on PS3 and 3DS sold way less; Time and Eternity 34K, Toushin Toshi 22K, Sonipro 6K. Surely they did the most damage.

TGMIII

It's a shame to see a lot of the smaller Japanese devs slowly dying off but I've always found Imageepoch to be hit and miss and when they miss they're miles off. Going to be interesting to see who's left standing at the end of this generation.

Do you have a source for this?

Even so, their later titles on PS3 and 3DS sold way less; Time and Eternity 34K, Toushin Toshi 22K, Sonipro 6K. Surely they did the most damage.

No, that's why I wrote probably. Considering how much they pushed those games, 100k units on a sales monster as PSP might have been disappointing.

duckroll

Always sad to see a dev close down, but I can't say I'll miss them. I think World Destruction was considered one of their better games, and I found even that mediocre at best.

Not even close. I think those who are actually familiar with their output would mostly agree that was the game which first soured expectations of what the company was. Overhyping and building expectations based on contracted art/music/scenario staff with good portfolios, only to deliver a shittastic game with no balance or proper game design. It was a poorly managed project which got really bad word of mouth.

I would say the games people consider better are the 7th Dragon series and Last Ranker, which sold the most and actually has positive post-release buzz, but Arc Rise Fantasia has fans too, if anyone bothered to play it.

The sad history of Imageepoch is that they really only had one or two good directors who could actually lead projects and game design and ship a game which wasn't totally mediocre or worse. Hiroyuki Kanemaru was from Tales Studio, and Kazuya Niinou was from Atlus. Eventually Niinou left and joined S-E (he's now the quest director for FFXIV 2.0), and it was all downhill from there. IIRC there was one planner who worked under all of Niinou's games who was promoted to director for 7D 2020 and 2020-II, but beyond that the studio didn't really seem to have any promising talent at all.

No, that's why I wrote probably. Considering how much they pushed those games, 100k units on a sales monster as PSP might have been disappointing.

Actually, back when he was still happily talking about the progress of the company, the Imageepoch head had very good things to say about the sales of their games up until Black Rock Shooter at least. Being able to attain over 100k for almost every title they had released on portables was consistent progress. Their sales completely fell off after that, and they've been having problems getting more publisher work to support their own publishing deals in the last couple of years, and seems to have contributed to the company going into radio silence and possibly total demise.

koutoru

It's a shame we'll probably never see a Arc Rise Fantasia 2 from them, for me it was a good game ruined by a bad dub.

In fact, it is my favorite Imageepoch game, its production value outmatches a lot of the other stuff they did.

Oregano

Actually, back when he was still happily talking about the progress of the company, the Imageepoch head had very good things to say about the sales of their games up until Black Rock Shooter at least. Being able to attain over 100k for almost every title they had released on portables was consistent progress. Their sales completely fell off after that, and they've been having problems getting more publisher work to support their own publishing deals in the last couple of years, and seems to have contributed to the company going into radio silence and possibly total demise.

Yeah as I pointed out the fact that publishers didn't hire them even for the sequels to their games shows something was going wrong. It might also be worth pointing out that Imageepoch originally announced their SRPG on 3DS for a 2012 release. Even if it does release it will be three years late.

As for self-published games, only Black Rock Shooter was able to crack the 100k mark- Both Final Promise Story and Sol Trigger failed to do so. Those published by Capcom and Sega sold better.

mao2

Ehh, their titles didn't fare much better on the more popular DS at that time. It's funny how you consider over 100K on PSP to be disappointing, especially without any source, yet totally ignoring the bombs on PS3 and 3DS which are more likely to be the cause of their situation right now.

PsionBolt

Sad news.

Their hearts were in the right place. 7th Dragon is legitimately well-designed. Black Rock Shooter and the Fate/Extra series were flawed, but they had some of the most interesting and unique combat systems I've played in a JRPG in years, and I really appreciated them. All joking about "saving JRPGs" aside, the genre really does benefit from games like those.

pastrami

Ehh, their titles didn't fare much better on the more popular DS at that time. It's funny how you consider over 100K on PSP to be disappointing, especially without any source, yet totally ignoring the bombs on PS3 and 3DS which are more likely to be the cause of their situation right now.

But imagine if they were focused on the DS. They would have probably sold a million each. Probably.

duckroll

As for self-published games, only Black Rock Shooter was able to crack the 100k mark- Both Final Promise Story and Sol Trigger failed to do so. Those published by Capcom and Sega sold better.

The games published by Sega and Capcom were also the games where they put their best staff, and had the most buzz. ARF and their Fate games were also published by Marvelous. As a publisher, Imageepoch was never really successful, but as a small developer they had a pretty decent run in the first few years of developing their own titles.

wrowa

I remember being really excited for Imageepoch around the time they announced Arc Rise Fantasia, 7th Dragon and World Destruction. All of those games looked so promising, but all of them ended up being disappointments for me due to various reasons. World Destruction just didn't live up to the promises and turned out to be pretty mediocre, Arc Rise Fantasia might have been a good game - I seriously don't know -, but I never managed to play it for more than a couple hours thanks to the horrendous localization and 7th Dragon never released around here, which of course isn't their fault, but was still a disappointment. After that I never really paid attention to them anymore. With the exception of Last Ranker - which was again JP-only - everything they've put out looked mediocre at best, downright embarassing at worst.

Can't say that I'll miss the output of the company. It's sad to think what could have been, though.

mao2

That's right, but those are the only 2 titles on PSP which didn't break 100K. Still, Final Promise Story did 91K, and Sol Trigger did 51K. Toushin Toshi did 22K, and Sonipro did 6K. I'm sure you can tell which are worse.

But imagine if they were focused on the DS. They would have probably sold a million each. Probably.
I may be mistaken but I believe their best selling title on DS was 7th Dragon which sold 137K copies. Not sure if 1 million is possible.

208 PSP Final Promise Story 57,023 / 91,376 Imageepoch 2011-04-28

132 PSP Black Rock Shooter: The Game 108,716 / 135,951 Imageepoch 2011-08-25

274 PSP Sol Trigger 38,69 / 61,320 Imageepoch 2012-10-04

200 3DS Toushin Toshi 22,423 / 23,684 Imageepoch 2014-01-30

280 3DS SoniPro 6,032 / 6,032 Imageepoch 2014-07-31

Are we really singling out their PSP output as the culprit here? Especially considering the date we're hearing this news.

I'm sure there are a range of factors which have led to this, not least a general decline in sales of their stuff beginning on the PSP, but still...

I assume any losses from publisher-led titles like 7th Dragon or Time & Eternity would've been eaten by the publisher rather than Imageepoch.

And I'd guess that's been more of the problem for them. Less publisher-led titles for them in general these days unless you get in good with Bamco and make licenced stuff for them. The kind of output that helped them on PSP (bigger publisher original IP's) doesn't seem to be getting made anymore.

monpiece

Banned
Sad if they close doors. Luminous games were among the best DS games I have played. Black Rock Shooter was pretty interesting as well.

And I liked Time and Eternity. Apart from some repetition, it was okay, and the battle system was better than many turn-based rpgs.

Top Bottom