• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To: Delete All Your Facebook Timeline Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to start cleaning up the crap that's been left on their Facebook timeline over the years. Since I'm no longer in college/university anymore, I've found myself needing to clean up all the inappropriate jokes and whatnot on my timeline as co-workers and other professionals have friended me on Facebook.

The only way I've been able to automate this is by using Firefox.

1. Open Firefox
2. Download iMacros extension
3. Restart Firefox
4. Go to any page and just record and save a random macro
5. Edit the macro you just saved and replace its contents with:

Code:
VERSION BUILD=8881205 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
URL GOTO=https://www.facebook.com/[YOUR FACEBOOK ID HERE]/allactivity?privacy_source=activity_log&log_filter=cluster_11
WAIT SECONDS=5
URL GOTO=javascript:window.scrollBy(0,40000)
TAG POS=1 TYPE=A ATTR=aria-label:"Allowed on Timeline"
TAG POS=2 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:Delete
WAIT SECONDS=1
TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON FORM=class:_s ATTR=TXT:Delete<SP>Post
WAIT SECONDS=2

6. Run the macro and set it to loop 1,000 times or whatever you need. This will take a LONG time so I recommend just leaving it to run overnight.

Also, before anyone says I can just delete my account, I still use Facebook for messenger, events, and as my login for services like Spotify.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Instead of nuking your entire history, had you considered any of the other million options like changing your privacy settings or maybe just NOT FRIENDING COWORKERS ON FACEBOOK which is basically the most awful idea ever

Instead of nuking your entire history, had you considered any of the other million options like changing your privacy settings or maybe just NOT FRIENDING COWORKERS ON FACEBOOK which is basically the most awful idea ever

Is there a way of setting the privacy of ALL my timeline posts to the "only me" setting?

Paskil

Is there a way of setting the privacy of ALL my timeline posts to the "only me" setting?

You can change the entire history so only friends can see. Not sure about the just me option.

Also, you might still have other posts on peoples statuses just floating around.

Crud

Banned
I'm about 90% done with deleting all my FB post posted by me. I let my girlfriend and friends post on my wall and tag me in pictures still. But I want my post to be 100% gone. I don't need to post on FB I don't even use FB for chat. I use it for music downloads rsvp's (SXSW) and parties.

Other than that Facebook is hella lame.

Krejlooc

Banned

The problem with facebook in general is that just because it's locked down on your end, doesn't mean it's locked down on every end. Example: You set your profile to private, but someone has you tagged in an image you technically "don't own." If that person is a co-worker, even if you don't give them permission, they can still follow the rabbit hole down and find said photo without your permission.

Of course, nuking your posts won't fix that either.

Paskil

You could always move the account to another country and abandon it. Erase all ties to you and deny the old account was you, lol.

i turned off my facebook account, i hope nothing's strange going on with it... i never did post all that much even though wouldn't mind deleting everything in it

Dalek

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to start cleaning up the crap that's been left on their Facebook timeline over the years. Since I'm no longer in college/university anymore, I've found myself needing to clean up all the inappropriate jokes and whatnot on my timeline as co-workers and other professionals have friended me on Facebook.

The only way I've been able to automate this is by using Firefox.

1. Open Firefox
2. Download iMacros extension
3. Restart Firefox
4. Go to any page and just record and save a random macro
5. Edit the macro you just saved and replace its contents with:

Code:
VERSION BUILD=8881205 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
URL GOTO=https://www.facebook.com/[YOUR FACEBOOK ID HERE]/allactivity?privacy_source=activity_log&log_filter=cluster_11
WAIT SECONDS=5
URL GOTO=javascript:window.scrollBy(0,40000)
TAG POS=1 TYPE=A ATTR=aria-label:"Allowed on Timeline"
TAG POS=2 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:Delete
WAIT SECONDS=1
TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON FORM=class:_s ATTR=TXT:Delete<SP>Post
WAIT SECONDS=2

6. Run the macro and set it to loop 1,000 times or whatever you need. This will take a LONG time so I recommend just leaving it to run overnight.

Also, before anyone says I can just delete my account, I still use Facebook for messenger, events, and as my login for services like Spotify.

Nice! Thanks for this-much appreciated. I wanted to clean up my old dumb posts anyways.

TxdoHawk

I need one of these that un-likes everything. I hate how social networks intentionally make it so easy to add and so hard to remove.

How can I modify the script to skip 3 posts then delete everything else? I seem to have hit a roadblock where I'm not allowed to delete these 3 specific posts in a row.

Alphahawk

People should always post on Facebook as if was a public forum. If somebody posts something inappropriate delete it and explain that you'd rather not have future employers see it.

now for one that nukes the pages you liked

so many pages liked by my stupid young self..sigh.

I spent a good couple hours undoing what highschool me thought was hilarious. Definitely worth it as 99.999999999% of them turned into the meme of the day or "1 like = 1 respect" bullshit or even just fronts to get more data on you and your friends.

Guiberu

Delete it.

And don't smear your wretched shit over the internet; like the vast majority of the population do these days.

pislit

Amazing solution, but I have a question, how about cleansing the photos or at least the tagged photos? I believe this can be done by changing some of the lines? I don't know shit about coding so...

(I hope I'm not breaking some rules by reviving this thread, this is the only actual solution I found all over the Internet).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is silly. Just change your privacy to not allow anyone except yourself see stuff.

And this will probably be locked. Bumped threads usually are.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just use the "limit old posts" feature (makes everything you ever posted Friends only) and ONLY add co-workers as acquaintances unless you really, really trust them.

So easy.

bjork

I used to just clean out my wall periodically, every couple of weeks. Then I finally decided to just wipe the account entirely. That was probably a year or so ago? Feels good, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom