• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order getting terrible reviews is a good thing for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palocca

If a big budget product fails, start with a clean slate instead of supporting expensive mediocrity. So I hope Sony leaves The Order franchise behind and starts something new. The whole game looks beatifull, but the gameplay seems to be so bland.

That won't happen until postmortem though. If The Order performs somewhat decently, the message Sony gets is that there's an audience that enjoys it.

This is the worst use of this tired pic yet. It has nothing to do with the OP.

It has everything to do with OP. Because it's a selfish line of thinking. One game does not equate setting an example to all games. If that's the case then Every single game would be like Pong, or Mario or whatever but they aren't.

They all coexist in their own bubbles. That's why they are called GENRES. Because they are different in different ways.

If OP doesn't like the game. Fine. But to sit here and say, "Well I'm glad because other devs better watch carefully and screw over the ones who do like that genre because I don't like it and neither does the gaming press." Is ugly.

It's basically trying to force out the voices who like these experiences and want them for what it is.

beril

I have to agree to some extent, though I can't comment on the Order itself yet, reviewers being harsher can be a positive. A lot of the time it seems reviewers think that if a game isn't fundamentally broken and somewhat well polished it "deserves" at least a 7. But we really should expect more from games by now. It's ok to say that a game isn't very good even if it's well put together and pretty and has all the expected features. If you're not enjoying it and it's not offering anything special the massive production values don't mean much.

entremet

People really have some vendetta with this game. It was poorly received by critics so far, but why do people jump for joy when fellow purveyors of the hobby do poorly?

I want all these companies to succeed and find an audience. No one sets to release a mediocre title and game development seems very very hard.

The Valves, Nintendos, NDs, sure make it look easy, but this stuff seems difficult.

asmudge

Banned
QTEs seem universally despised on the internet and yet they still exist.

Doubt anything will change. Theres always going people thinking they can make bad design good.

Majestad

Banned
There is a difference between "I don't personally like this game" and "I want to salt the earth so that this game dies and games like it struggle to be made ever again."

I see what you are saying, but the way I see it is that I don't necessarily dislike " cinematic" games. Uncharted is one of my favorite franchises, and that can be considered cinematic too. Yet the difference with that game and a product like the order, is that uncharted does have a lot of gaming in it, and is fun, with solid replay value, and even multiplayer features. That's one way to make a good cinematic game, which wants to tell a story, but doesn't let that be its only focus. And I can't wait for Uncharted 4.

Nabbis

OP isn't being critical of the order, he's actively saying he hopes this means no more of these games get made regardless of the fact that plenty of people like them.

I don't see why it's a controversial stance. Resources are finite after all and a success in the opposite direction of someones taste might mean that the whole genre is homogenized due to a single game. (Like Call of Duty) Yes, it's selfish, but given the current state of the market it's also understandable.

KooopaKid

Banned
He deserved it. OP isn't criticizing a game. He is literally saying he hopes games like this don't ever get made anymore (games I enjoy) because he doesn't like them.

He did criticize it :

"if your game is embarrassingly short, has average gameplay mechanics, etc."

I agree with OP. Shallowness shouldn't be encouraged. I struggle to find a non-technical quality in The Order.

Choomp

Banned
I was thinking it's just a good thing because, it's a lackluster game, that's all. I obviously don't know for sure, but it seems very possible that it's not good. I don't think however that people's expectations of the game should affect the scores.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
I think its a good thing as well. The game has problems and I am glad the reviews didn't get swept up by the hype. I know I will get flak for this but so many users here were buying into the hype and defending the developers mainly because it was a PS4 exclusive or had pretty graphics. If anyone looked at this game objectively and past the graphics it was quite clear, it was going to fail. (Yes, 6/10 in the gaming community is considered like a D grade) I got laughed at in the impressions thread for suggesting that this game would flop for the very same reasons most of the reviewers say.

In the long run, The Order game sales will definitely be hurt by these reviews and Sony will have to learn from this and invest their money more carefully in better exclusives. Live and learn.

Trust me I am too waiting for a PS exclusive worth buying.

Lime

I completely agree, OP. Calling out generic, trite factory-produced fluff with little to no ambitions is something this industry has sorely needed for so long.

YRuafraid

Banned
But I like cinematic single player experiences with good atmosphere and graphics.

I rarely play online so co-op/multiplayer is useless to me. I'm only in it for the single player experience... and unless this game has god-awful gameplay.. it still has my interest despite the reviews. So I disagree with you OP

I completely agree, OP. Calling out generic, trite factory-produced fluff with little to no ambitions is something this industry has sorely needed for so long.

This game was ambitious in terms of detail, atmosphere and graphics..... you are probably the same type of gamer who hates GTA5 and then complains that other games aren't "ambitious"

parasky

Neo Member
How are average reviews now becoming terrible in the eyes of people. In a few years time any games with any kind of hype behind them not getting perfect scores will be worst game of the year material.

I was recently on a website where they gave a game 6.5/10 and called it mediocre. Are you shitting me? 6.5/10 is a pretty good score, not a game to sing the praises of, but a solid and fun game imo. Calling it mediocre is stupidly harsh.

I understand that The Order is one of the most anticipated ps4 titles of the year overall, but it getting above average, but not great reviews, and acting like it's going to be a WGOTY contender is really snobby.

Sorry, just needed to get that off of my chest. -_-

RoKKeR

While I don't agree necessarily with the claim in the OP, the general trend of reviewers this gen of being harsher on game's that deserve it is certainly refreshing. Maybe it's a face perception and there have just been worse games across the board, but it seems that they are willing to hand out lower scores more now than they were in the past.

Probably off the mark, just something I've picked up on.

Rembrandt

Banned
QTEs seem universally despised on the internet and yet they still exist.

Doubt anything will change. Theres always going people thinking they can make bad design good.

lol, I love QTEs, tbh. not all the time, but I don't hate them all like the internet seemingly does.

DevilFox

Hopefully people will agree with this, as it will force developers to go back to having gameplay and video-game related features as a priority first.

I disagree. There's room for every kind of game, you're not going to get another game like The Order anytime soon as well as we're not getting Cage's game every year. However, these reviews read a lot like "nope, there's no room for this shit.. and it doesn't even have multyplayer so it's even worse". And so a TPS must be the same TPS as always, cinematic stuff is a taboo etc.
I always state my interest to see what kind of forms a game can assume, therefore I support every kind of idea from the gameplay centric games like our loved Bayonetta to the visual novel. It doesn't mean to praise them, but at least not to bash them for their own nature. I'd like to see more openess from reviewers but it's not happening for most.
If anything, I hope the bad scores will not influence the fate of this IP.

Zedox

Reviews should do one thing for game developers, make them realize where they could be better at and what they did good. Those two things are thing where the developer can learn to make something that may be more appealing in areas where they fall, and enhance what they do great at.

In the eyes of a developer, that's where I would look. Now also, you, as a developer have to also look at the stance of, what type of game am I making? Stay true to your belief but also be conscious of what people who may play the game, may want.

Foffy

Banned
Dana Jan, who is the game director on The Order, was recently asked in an interview with CVG what the team was most focused on between visuals, gameplay, and story, and this is how he responded:

“I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that… it’s a game, we make games, we can’t get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it’s what we start with. It’s at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it’d be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay’s sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.”
This quote says it all for me. A lot of devs would rather be making movies, or anything but games.

It's funny how now it looks that emphasizing the story over gameplay actually compromised the gameplay, which is what most reviews are stating. Which, surprise surprise, has been what has lead to overly cinematic games being criticized. Max Payne 3 and Metroid: Other M are perfect examples of this compromise hindering the full playing experience.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
There may be a time in the future when we can have this conversation, but it's not at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom