• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 is free for use now

CamHostage

No Vita support :(

This is gonna mean fewer indie Vita games.

I am sad.

I always fear for what certain paradigm shifts in gaming might mean to platforms like my beloved Vita (it's becoming the only gaming device I use these days, though I want to make a concerted effort to get back into 3DS too,) but Unity still has a lot of momentum and backing behind it. I imagine they'll have to come up with a pricing scheme of their own to combat this change in UE4 cost, but Unity has been aggressive in the past. And UE4 still has support limitations that, while dwindling in priority every year gaming platforms evolve, still leave a chunk of the market unavailable to game designers who chose that engine.

That being said, Unity has only meant so much to my Vita (and consoles in general) so far, it still seems to be the mobile designers' plaything. Unreal has always been the "non-Indie" preferred solution, and now that pricing scales have tipped, it might make inroads in the indie circuit as well.

Minamu

I made an account finally and downloaded a 60mb installer, how do I download the rest? Silly question maybe.

R_Deckard

I've spent 15 years using C++, and 5 years professionally working on a C++ compiler (written in C++), and I still discover new things about it.

I was making a joke about the complexity and nuances of the language.

I know I was joking also, :-D

Coding is always a learning game!

Even when it was $20 a month, I already found it to be an amazing deal. Now it's free!?

Makes me wonder why people bother even using Unity at this point.

Potentially a stupid stupid question, but is UE4 in any way like a program like 3D Studio Max, or do they complement each other?

Orayn

Potentially a stupid stupid question, but is UE4 in any way like a program like 3D Studio Max, or do they complement each other?

UE has a level editor that lets you make terrain, build that consist of simple shapes (brushes), and place pre-fabs, but for creating detailed models or anything animated/moveable you'll definitely need some kind of modeling program.

Not for creating character models, no. You can use Blender to make 3D Character models and it's free as well. You can animate the 3D models in Blender or use UE4's animation system.

Slavik81

I remember reading about engine licensing in a local magazine some 15 years ago. IIRC Quake engine was around 250,000 dollars + royalties or something like that.

How the times change.
Can you not buy a royalty free license for megabucks, or is everyone on the 5% deal now?

Even when it was $20 a month, I already found it to be an amazing deal. Now it's free!?

Because 5% of sales could work out to way more than a Unity pro license? Plus Unreal isn't set up to allow publishing on Wii U, is it?

Can you not buy a royalty free license for megabucks, or is everyone on the 5% deal now?

I think they might still have the royalty free megabucks option for larger AAA devs. I have a feeling that they didn't terminate that license and just added this second option for indie devs. Though I could be wrong.

5% is why along with fewer export options. Let me pay a flat fee. Good news for people that like UE4 tho!

Accoun

I remember reading about engine licensing in a local magazine some 15 years ago. IIRC Quake engine was around 250,000 dollars + royalties or something like that.

How the times change.

Hell, Unreal was $500000, from what I've heard somewhere.

Mostly familiarity for me. That and that's what my college teaches. C# is more like Java which our basic CS classes teach. So it was an easier transition for me.

However, I will be teaching myself C++ when I have the opportunity. I can't pass up something like this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Unreal Tournament looks awesome: www.unrealtournament.com/blog/unreal-tournament-at-gdc/

malcolmFlak04.png
Whoah. No roid rage character designs makes me a happy man.

Whoah. No roid rage character designs makes me a happy man.

Wait till you see the map itslef Called DM-Outpost, also there is DM-Lea. Download DM-Lea in the marketp)lace for free and you will be really amazed. DM-Outpost is the best thing ever happening to UT, eats too much ressources and may crash your pc, still worth doing :)

DM-Outpost:

And people still think UE3 can do this -_- !

Play the map and you will see the beauty of the waterfalls outside !

VariantX

dont know shit about UE other than altering the properties of a shock rifle back when UT2k3 launched, guess I'll get it just to screw around and I might learn something useful

Xyber

Downloaded it and tried UT4 for a bit again. It's coming along nicely and the server browser/lobby system is pretty good right now.

Still a bit of slowdowns when playing (nothing too bad, but noticeable), but that is to be expected atm.

UnrealEck

I think UE4 is going to be the most used engine for years to come for VR projects.
I'm interested in seeing what Crytek are doing with their CryEngine.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wait till you see the map itslef Called DM-Outpost, also there is DM-Lea. Download DM-Lea in the marketp)lace for free and you will be really amazed. DM-Outpost is the best thing ever happening to UT, eats too much ressources and may crash your pc, still worth doing :)

DM-Outpost:

And people still think UE3 can do this -_- !

Play the map and you will see the beauty of the waterfalls outside !

Ah, I haven't gotten around to installing an additional 4gB of RAM, if it's that resource heav I'm afraid 4gB won't cut it :lol. I have two 2gB sticks lying around but they're 1/3rd the speed and thats just yuck. Still gonna download and dick around, I tried out the Elemental demo a few days ago and it was pretty hot (Pun not indended).

Refreshing to see a program not install in (x86) for a change.

Ah, I haven't gotten around to installing an additional 4gB of RAM, if it's that resource heav I'm afraid 4gB won't cut it :lol. I have two 2gB sticks lying around but they're 1/3rd the speed and thats just yuck. Still gonna download and dick around, I tried out the Elemental demo a few days ago and it was pretty hot (Pun not indended).

Refreshing to see a program not install in (x86) for a change.

I have a 2GB GPU, 8GB RAM and Core i7 CPU and this map overheats my PC and makes it crash within seconds. DM-Lea works fine and is less demanding. Try to be careful with DM-Outpost, it needs a very high-end rig !

JohnCYQ

Heh, interesting news to me since I used to work at Unity as an artist. There is that Unity announcement in 7 hours though, wonder what they have planned (according to my sister who still works there, the announcement was planned for months now, so its not a knee-jerk reaction to Epic's announcement).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I have a 2GB GPU, 8GB RAM and Core i7 CPU and this map overheats my PC and makes it crash within seconds. DM-Lea works fine and is less demanding. Try to be careful with DM-Outpost, it needs a very high-end rig !

I actually played around for 10 minutes by myself in DM Outpost on High settings and 1080p. Ran around 45-60+ (had to enable Vsync).

That's on an R9 280x and FX-6300. In fact I thought it ran much better than a pre-alpha has any right to. I sure hope the texture streaming isn't as severe of an issue in UE4 as it was in UE3 though. You might want to check your fans or something D:
Damn, this shit in DX12 is gonna be some hot smooth action.

Roven

Banned
Is the Epic Games Launcher broken? I've been trying to login since the announcement yesterday but it still doesn't work for me?

It sounds like you don't have a good ventilation in your pc.

A decent computer should be able to perform @ 100% power during hours without problem.

It sounds like you don't have a good ventilation in your pc.

A decent computer should be able to perform @ 100% power during hours without problem.

Yep you are so right. I have a craptop that starts to verheat and the fan overworking for months now, and every demanding game crashes for me.

Top Bottom