• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trasher

LukeSmith said:

I still prefer this one.
http://www.blogcdn.com/xbox.*******.com/media/2008/05/frankieinfogate3.jpg

Edit: Omg, damn this ******* banned crap. Replace the *'s with "joy" and "stiq"...

Edit 2: LOL, just stumbled upon this.
frankie_bagpipes.jpg

GhaleonEB

So, I decided to do less complaining about bumpy surfaces in Forge and more experimenting to find how to prevent their evil bumpiness to begin with. Which brings me to...

Ghaleon's Guide to Smooth Forging(TM)

(You've all probably figured this out by now, but I'm slow. So just in case anyone else is also slow...)

Episode 1: "Block, Double"

Dimensions: 2x2x4 squares
Notable Features: Opposing "plain" and "picture" sides

Experiment 1: symmetry

To test whether "Block, Double"'s two sides are perfectly symmetrical, I placed them side by side. Turns out, there is a thin, invisible barrier around it; a slight difference between the visual appearance and physical properties. These differences are not the same between the two sides. The picture side has a thicker barrier around it, which makes it taller than the plain side. To find this I placed them side by side. The difference is enough to cause the player to pop into the air when walking from the low block to the high one. That is my threshold for whether a surface difference is excessive.

Thus:

DoubleBlock3.jpg

When stacked, the difference is even more clear. Plain sides down:

DoubleBlock1.jpg

Picture sides down:

DoubleBlock2.jpg

The higher you stack, the bigger the difference.

Solution: Always place Block,Double the same side down throughout your map.

Experiment 2: Save and Quit

Another issue with Forge is that some blocks will shift after you save and quit. They may look fine, but save and come back later, and there's bumps galore. This has wreaked many a map of mine. Turns out there's an easy way around it.

To test this, I built two grids of Block, Double, one with plain side down and one with picture side down.

The setup:

73575060-Full.jpg

Behold the buttery smoothness, before I've saved and quit:

DoubleBlock5.jpg

After the save and quit, the plain side down is still buttery smooth.

DoubleBlock7.jpg

The grid with the picture side down was a mess - four of the eight blocks shifted enough to cause the player to bump up in the air when walking over them:

DoubleBlock6.jpg

Conclusion: Always build with plain side down for "Block, Double".

This thick barrier around objects is what causes issues with the grid surface. It applies to all objects. I'll look at Block, Large; Block Tall; and Block Huge later on, as well as walls.

Also, way too many pictures of an Amusing Matchmaking Moment.

EazyB

Banned
Thanks Ghal, I noticed that I wasn't able to push some of the double blocks as close to each other as I should've been able to; this explains why. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

kylej

Banned
In the next title update can I have an option where my spartan holds a BR instead of an AR in the service record? Thanks in advance.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
http://www.joy*stiq.com/2009/04/12/microsoft-job-listing-hints-at-mobile-halo-project/

Hmm.

When we're not too busy trouncing Halo 3-developer Bungie in "humpday challenges," we fancy ourselves quite the career builders. And so it was with shock that we found ourselves colliding directly with the enormously popular franchise on CareerBuilder.com, albeit under the auspices of Halo license-owner Microsoft. Apparently the company is seeking folks who not only love Halo but also love "building scalable online infrastructure and websites for large and passionate audiences."

What does that mean, exactly? The listing doesn't go into as much details as we'd like, but it does say the job will blend, "console, web, and mobile to create an immersive Halo world that follows the dedicated Halo fan wherever they go." Our thoughts first went to iPhone integration of Bungie.net and future Halo community endeavors but then we realized that Microsoft may want to keep whatever mobile application it may be creating on Windows Mobile-based phones. We're hoping for our future-phone having selves that this isn't the case.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSee...36d44f96f5491680aec58740a09ef3-292882061-JV-5

Do you love Halo? Do online social communities and console video games excite you? Do you love building scalable online infrastructure & websites for large and passionate audiences? The Halo franchise studio is looking for a strong software development engineer with a passion for video games and online services. We have an ambitious task ahead, taking the current Halo community and online gaming support system and bringing it to the next level.

We're looking to blend console, web, and mobile to create an immersive Halo world that follows the dedicated Halo fan wherever they go. We need engineers that can build connected technology while working in a startup environment.

As an engineer on this team, your responsibility will be to deliver a great out-of-game interactive experience that takes the next step beyond the systems found in Halo 3. You will work with artists, designers, developers and testers to finalize design plans, implement those plans, and help coordinate large-scale testing of the out of game Live experience by gamers across the world. Your work also will involve several external teams-including other MGS studios and the Xbox Live team-coordinating development dependencies and design considerations of experience as a whole.

For this year this position is focused on infrastructure, including high efficiency scalability simulation.

Building user-facing on-console features such as forums, tournament ladders, media libraries, and integrated mini-games
Taking input from creative, community and production leads to produce a console experience

EazyB said:
Willing to go out on a limb and predict who's the Gaffer most likely to apply?

5 boxes of GG says we are of similar thinking :lol :lol

Dani said:
Grunt Birthday Party Bash Confirmed!
Dude I have been saying since squad battle that there should be some kind of mini game for everyone in the party while everyone is waiting haha
Obvious answer is to just impove matchmaking speeds....but I still kinda want the game :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Captain Blood said:
Dude I have been saying since squad battle that there should be some kind of mini game for everyone in the party while everyone is waiting haha
Obvious answer is to just impove matchmaking speeds....but I still kinda want the game :p

Yeah, I've heard that idea thrown around, would be interesting. The amount of time wasted waiting for games to start is a bit silly.

Reading over the job description, I dunno, it seems they are aiming to make vast upgrades over what Bungie has done. It's great to see they are aiming high and using the existing system as a starting point for going further.

Dani said:
Yeah, I've heard that idea thrown around, would be interesting. The amount of time wasted waiting for games to start is a bit silly.

Reading over the job description, I dunno, it seems they are aiming to make vast upgrades over what Bungie has done. It's great to see they are aiming high and using the existing system as a starting point for going further.

Peggalo 4 by Microsoft Studios....make it happen.

Azar

Captain Blood said:
5 boxes of GG says we are of similar thinking :lol :lol

I'd like to see a more powerful box that lets you play XBLA games via the guide while still booted into another game. I bet it's perfectly feasible with smaller games like Geometry Wars.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Mr Vociferous said:
Sounds like mobile community interfacing and stat tracking, which isn't a half bad idea if executed well.

Yeah, Bungie made a big splash with stats for Halo, it's good to know in future games we#ll have stats and good ways to keep track.

What I found interesting is this;

Building user-facing on-console features such as forums, tournament ladders, media libraries, and integrated mini-games

For consoles? Forums, tournaments ladders for consoles? This would be very cool.

vhfive

Metroidvania said:
Then why play it?
agreed lw is so frustrating. i thought maybe i could get my brig in it once upon a time but i stalled at 43. now i stick to mostly social (sometimes ts)

SR2?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Cuckooo said:
because i thought it might be fun which it was until oddball on blackout and ts on anvil happened :(

yea I'm done with Lone Wolves. I wanted to get my 50 in it but playing Oddball and Crazy Kind are not worth it.

Trasher

vhfive said:
agreed lw is so frustrating. i thought maybe i could get my brig in it once upon a time but i stalled at 43. now i stick to mostly social (sometimes ts)

SR2?
LW's was the very first playlist I worked on when I bought the game. Went straight to 45 where it finally started to slow down and get a bit competitive. Then I switched over to working on Team Slayer and whatnot. A couple months later I went back to try LW's again and fucking couldn't do a thing. I think I may have gone up to 46 at one point, but it was short-lived. My LW's rank sits at 43 right now I think lol. That shit is just so frustrating to play now. Grenade spamming and AR orgies are no fun.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
wow, me and my team just got demolished by Heinz, Defy and 2 other guys I didn't recognize but obviously were good. I was playing like shit all night

Smokey

Trasher said:
LW's was the very first playlist I worked on when I bought the game. Went straight to 45 where it finally started to slow down and get a bit competitive. Then I switched over to working on Team Slayer and whatnot. A couple months later I went back to try LW's again and fucking couldn't do a thing. I think I may have gone up to 46 at one point, but it was short-lived. My LW's rank sits at 43 right now I think lol. That shit is just so frustrating to play now. Grenade spamming and AR orgies are no fun.

Yeah LW is typically all I play :(. I'm up to a 46 in LW but I keep getting in 2nd and 3rd and I still can't seem to rank up no matter how many 2nd places I get in a row.

So I went out and got a 1 month card this morning and I just logged off. I'm at a 21 right now so we'll see.

I can't understand the fucking ranking system for anything. Earlier in the day I was at 15 and I got 7 1st place finishes in a row. It doesn't move, and I'm still at 15. The next game I get 2nd place, and then I get bumped up to a 16...

I give up on trying to figure it out:lol

GhaleonEB

I'm through the teleporter with the Blue flag, going for the man cannon. I knew I got sniped once, but didn't realize how close a call this was until I saw the saved film.

f1.jpg

First shot tags me.

f2.jpg

Second shot hits a tree.

f3.jpg

Third hits the bubble shield the instant it goes up, ahead of the animation.

f4.jpg

And I'm off. The man cannon jumps never, ever get old.

Meanwhile, our flag is taking a similar route.

f5.jpg

f6.jpg

He sees me well before I see him.

f7.jpg

My ride arrives right as a Blue tosses a grenade.

f9.jpg

Yeeehaw.

f13.jpg

f14.jpg

f15.jpg

Brainboy

Awesome story, Ghaleon. Love the last picture.
Also your Forge guide was pretty insightful. I don't really Forge myself, but it's interesting to see some of the quirks of the system.

Striker

Ugh, so I have 25 objects left until I hit the hard-count. I got my bases and Sniper perch down. I'm not unsure if I want to add a Shotgun to the map, or maybe add 2 SMG's. I also got to lay some cover objects on the front side of the bases, but that shouldn't be too much. Spawns, as what I've done, seem okay. I put about 30 a piece on each side. Most are inside the base area. If any changes need made, I can move some outside near the sides or back area near a cover area.

Question, though. Does the game consider objects like the "Spawn Flag: Away", a Starting Spawn point or a bomb plant pieces to the actual map?

Tashi0106 said:
wow, me and my team just got demolished by Heinz, Defy and 2 other guys I didn't recognize but obviously were good. I was playing like shit all night

I beat Defy
Team King on pit lolz
therefore I am obviously a Pro. How duz I em el gee?

Domino Theory said:
FUCK, I need to play this area... it hurts. :(
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/JKLSKESUDLD/concept_art/environments/Halo3-ODST_EnvConcept-08.jpg[/I[/QUOTE]
Patience is a virtue. It'll be here before you know it.

Arnie

Got a crazy stick on Assembly so I went to pop it into my fileshare. Turns out I have been banned from the fileshare feature permenantly. It was probably when I saw a guy in MM with boobies so I ctrl V'd it into my fileshare. Serves me right, despite removing it as soon as Bungie mentioned it in their BWU. Oh well, looks like I wont be sharing anymore Halo 3 files. :{

Awesome play by play Ghaleon.
I'm just getting back into H3 so Avalanche is new to me.
I've already had such epic matches on that map. Probably my favorite H3 map.
Are H3 vets fans of it?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
CitizenCope said:
Awesome play by play Ghaleon.
I'm just getting back into H3 so Avalanche is new to me.
I've already had such epic matches on that map. Probably my favorite H3 map.
Are H3 vets fans of it?
For sure. Valhalla's really the only other map that can compete with it.

-ARNiE- said:
Got a crazy stick on Assembly so I went to pop it into my fileshare. Turns out I have been banned from the fileshare feature permenantly. It was probably when I saw a guy in MM with boobies so I ctrl V'd it into my fileshare. Serves me right, despite removing it as soon as Bungie mentioned it in their BWU. Oh well, looks like I wont be sharing anymore Halo 3 files. :{

So you were turned on by man boobs?

jk, but lol at what happened, that's why Bungie started to ban people with those pictures, sucks for you though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom