• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tri-Ace acquired by Nepro Japan, becomes dedicated smartphone/tablet mobile dev

TheChaos0

Nepro want tri-Ace to support mobile too, but the slide says console games were their strength so Nepro wants them to keep supporting consoles as well.

That's good news regardless. We'll have to see what their actual output in the future is like.

dramatis

Actual good news? I thought the thread bump was going to be about how their shooter Judas Code is shutting down in July lol.

Its in Japanese...i don't know what i expected when opening investor slides from a Japanese company.....
man i'm an idiot

Anyway actual good news?! it would be a mad decision to get rid of good profitable games just to go mobile so this sounds like common sense won out!

Falk

that puzzling face
Guys, guys.

Isn't it good news that a mobile company is looking to branch out into console games via acquisitions considering most of the news is the other way round?

can't kill my optimism

Lutherian

- It's not a big deal, 'kay ? tri-Ace didn't made anything great since Infinite Undiscovery, 'kay ?
- Meeoow, they made Star Ocean IV, meeoow !
- Hm, and Resonance of Fate, 'kay ? A complex and hard as hell J-RPG that make Dark Souls like Smurf The Game on Atari 2600, 'kay ? Few gamers got past the 5th chapter where you have to protect a stupid statue who moves like shit and the game is so painfull to farm XP that you'll probably end up hitting your balls with a baseball bat. 'kay ?

duckroll

Well, it's good news that Nepro Japan actually sees the value of owning experienced developers, at least on the surface. Their investor report for the acquisition also points out tri-Ace's technical strengths and the multiplatform nature of their ASKA engine and tools. For what it's worth, this would be the first time I've heard anyone at all mention their engine in years, so it's nice to see their new owner knows what they bought!

I dunno though, Nepro has owned MGS (Mobile & Game Studio) for some time now, and all they've continued to make is Lord of Vermilion games for Square Enix. So unless tri-Ace can actually get publishing deals for console stuff, I'm not sure if Nepro will really step in. They're not even a game publisher afaik.

Well, it's good news that Nepro Japan actually sees the value of owning experienced developers, at least on the surface. Their investor report for the acquisition also points out tri-Ace's technical strengths and the multiplatform nature of their ASKA engine and tools. For what it's worth, this would be the first time I've heard anyone at all mention their engine in years, so it's nice to see their new owner knows what they bought!

I dunno though, Nepro has owned MGS (Mobile & Game Studio) for some time now, and all they've continued to make is Lord of Vermilion games for Square Enix. So unless tri-Ace can actually get publishing deals for console stuff, I'm not sure if Nepro will really step in. They're not even a game publisher afaik.
Just let us be happy :(

muu

Eh, I don't see this as a bad thing. Japan's mobile space is riddled with highly profitable games that are mostly absolutely terrible games, or terribly written. Mobile is still the future esp. for Japan, and capable devs could at least alleviate that somewhat.

sörine

Banned

MGS also does 3DS games and even selfpublushes some of them. Mostly eShop titles like 50 Pinch Run or the Bike Rider DX series but also packaged games like Gyrozetter for Square Enix.

Would be cool if Tri-Ace can be sorta like a Platinum, where different companies can hire them to make games (as well as doing mobile, of course).

Either way, I hope they have something in the works.

Would be cool if Tri-Ace can be sorta like a Platinum, where different companies can hire them to make games (as well as doing mobile, of course).

Either way, I hope they have something in the works.

that's...that's pretty much what they've been their whole existence and they were unable to stay that way without being bought up.

Is that the engine they made that Star Oceanish tech demo for but wasn't actually used for anything?

that's...that's pretty much what they've been their whole existence and they were unable to stay that way without being bought up.

They used to work mostly with Square though (for obvious reasons), and for quite some time now they have only done support work on bigger titles (LR being the only exception).

Datschge

tri-Ace having a financially stable parent company in times they don't get AAA projects from bigger publishers anymore was and is good news.

Pretty sure Square Enix owns the Valkyrie Profile IP. Good luck getting triAce to work on it now that they're owned by Not Square Enix.
Like Nepro's MGS working on Lord of Vermilion 3 for Square Enix you mean?

I don't think it matters for Square Enix whether tri-Ace is independent or owned by Nepro for doing nothing with their Valkyrie Profile IP. The blame for nothing happening with all the tri-Ace related IPs solely lies with the publishers owning said IPs.

theofficefan99

Yuck, Infinite Undiscovery was awful. Having said that, this is sad. I take it Phantasy Star Nova didn't sell well? I don't take this as a death toll though, smartphones can still be great JRPG devices. Hopefully they'll be able to make a few standard RPGs down the line if the expected ftp games do well.

Why did everyone hate Infinite Undiscovery? :/ Sure it has a lot of untapped potential, with its basic battle system along with too much hit-stop lag and bad voice acting, but the game had an interesting story, a unique world, a phenomenal soundtrack, some good characters, it didn't overstay its welcome, and the battle system was quite fun and diverse despite the simplicity and limitations it cast upon the player.

It's definitely a good RPG in my opinion.

Eusis

Why did everyone hate Infinite Undiscovery? :/ Sure it has a lot of untapped potential, with its basic battle system along with too much hit-stop lag and bad voice acting, but the game had an interesting story, a unique world, a phenomenal soundtrack, some good characters, it didn't overstay its welcome, and the battle system was quite fun and diverse despite the simplicity and limitations it cast upon the player.

It's definitely a good RPG in my opinion.
A lot of it could be down to expectations going into a new generation and hoping for something to really push the genre, but it could also be that there were a million and one little issues framed by really bad cinematics. tri-Ace just dropped the ball with those entirely last gen, it seemed only Resonance of Fate could be considered halfway decent there.

And I'm serious with the little issues thing, when I rented it drove me absolutely insane that I was hoping for a more exploratory JRPG and what I got was invisible lines everywhere. Oh yes a line in the dirt that clearly is an insurmountable obstacle.

vato_loco

FUCK.

No more Valkyrie Profile?! And here I was hoping for a Resonance of Fate 2...

EDIT: I just saw about them wanting to support consoles as well, but I'm still holding my optimism. The real cash is in moble these days, and people are greedy.

Arthea

Nepro want tri-Ace to support mobile too, but the slide says console games were their strength so Nepro wants them to keep supporting consoles as well.

do they want enough to finance those and release in the west? That's the question.
good news anyways, I all but gave up on seeing any new tri-Ace game

Hey guys, sorry, off topic but it's not worth a new thread and this the most recent thread that's atleast tangentially related to Beyond the Labyrinth. Anyway there's five difficulty levels starting with Normal. Any suggestion on which I should start with on a first play through?

Koren

You had one job, Square Enix and/or Sega...
Well... Square-Enix kills them far more efficiently than any smartphone company could do...

Taito?

Quest?

Dead for good thanks to Square-Enix...

Honestly, Tri-Ace far from Square-Enix is good news.

Top Bottom