• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Consumption in PS4/XBO Standby/Suspend modes

With the release of Yukimara, I'm wondering: has the PS4 rest mode power consumption actually increased?

For those unaware, we've known since release that the PS4 and XBO are major problems when it comes to power consumption, in terms of active use and standby mode, and both with respect to their prior generation entries and compared to the WiiU. Via the NRDC, an environmental advocacy group, up to 40% of power consumptions occurs in standby modes. These figures further suggest that the power consumed by 100 million consoles would be equivalent to 1 billion dollars in a given year, enough to light Houston. The consoles have actually increased efficiency over their forebears, but the facts remain: they are power sinks. I also realize these are 1st run versions and subsequent entries may become more efficient, but we're still looking at a lot of machines out in the wild.

Pictures are worth a thousand words though, and none speaks louder than this depiction of annual energy consumption
5599169b70971189bc1e6fc938f57be9.jpg

This graph suggests that, in terms of actual use, the XBO is using the majority of the power it consumes in standby mode!

So for one thing, I'm wondering, do we know if suspend/resume actually increases PS4 rest mode power consumption? I'd be a little surprised if it doesn't, given the additional functionality of maintaining a game state, but would be good to hear from someone in the know.

EDIT Please, folks. I'd emphasized it with the initial thread, but I've re-emphasized it here - these are just thoughts below, I'm not trying to tell you how to "live your life" - just think this is an important discussion to have.

I feel like as a community we could maybe lead an initiative at trying to reduce this. If I might be so bold as to propose some easy energy saving steps:

1. Try to avoid using rest mode unless you need it for something (charging a controller, on a PS Store update day for remote downloading, suspend mode). Otherwise, especially overnight, try to turn your console off.

2. Try to avoid using these consoles for streaming if you have another option. Netflix and DLNA should ideally be used through more power efficient devices (Apple TV or Chromecast)

Really not trying to be prescriptive, just thinking as a community we should start trying to be responsible about this stuff.

Love to know your guys'/gals' thoughts.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Rest mode on PS4 with these settings now has an electricity usage cost of 4.5 Watt:
  • Supply Power to USB Ports: Disabled
  • Stay Connected to the Internet: Enabled
    - Enable Turning On PS4 From Network: Enabled
  • Keep Application Suspended: Enabled
"Keep Application Suspended" set to Disabled makes Rest mode have an electricity usage cost of 3 Watt, as it was before the Firmware update.

The new Application Suspend functionality costs an additional 1.5 Watt.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't understand the graph. Is it assuming people play a fixed number of hours per day?

Just get someone to test the wattage during suspend mode and while playing

NVM, I see how this is ranking them now. Still strongly disagree with the "never use standby" sentiment

But that's not what I said - just said maybe as a community we could try not to use it unless we need it for something in particular.

Rest mode on PS4 with these settings now has an electricity usage cost of 4.5 Watt:
"Keep Application Suspended" set to Disabled makes Rest mode have an electricity usage cost of 3 Watt, as it was before the Firmware update.

Oh wow - thanks for the info, Benny. So it basically increases the expenditure of Rest mode by 50%

I don't understand the graph. Is it assuming people play a fixed number of hours per day?

Just get someone to test the wattage during suspend mode and while playing

It's assuming an average use frequency, I believe.

I wouldn't keep my consoles in rest/standby mode every night if you care about your electricity bill.

Exactly, if for no other reason than this.

1.5W to keep 8GB of memory on sounds impressive to me.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
What the hell? Every graph I saw to date had the PS4 consuming more power than the XBox One... in every mode. What changed?

These fact and figures are nice but it really doesn't mean much to the average person unless they can figure out how much this will actually affect their light bill.

If playing your PS4 for several hours a day only causes your light bill to go up like $4 for the month, I'm sure a lot of people would just take the hit.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I own 3 Xbox ones a ps4 and a wii u.... All will stay in standby more lol. Energy consumption will only grow and we will find better ways to supply it. It's time to support nuclear energy and supply the power the world needs.

4.5w seems rather good to me for doing all that.

Necro900

"power sinks"

Has the OP ever had the need to use an electric radiator in a house without heating system? those work with about 1000W-2000W every hour. That's a power sink.

McHuj

I wouldn't keep my consoles in rest/standby mode every night if you care about your electricity bill.

I'd you can't afford the 1-2 dollars it will add to a monthly bill, you probably can't afford to turn it on for a real play session.

gruenel

Even in Europe where electricity is expensive PS4 rest mode (with suspend/resume enabled) won't cost you more than 10€ per year if you have it enabled 24/7.

Tomodachi

Nice, thank you. Can we have the wattage with USB ports powered on as well?

Isn't 4.5W really low? My wi-fi printer uses 1W while in standby if I'm not mistaken, I think 4.5 is totally acceptable. Still, I agree with the sentiment of using rest mode only if you think you'll need it (charging controllers, long nighttime downloads and suspend/resume).

I've switched all my main lightbulbs to LED and switched my plasma TV to an LED, so I'm going to leave my ps4 on rest mode all the damned time thank you very much.

Even in Europe where electricity is expensive PS4 rest mode (with suspend/resume enabled) won't cost you more than 10€ per year if you have it enabled 24/7.

Well, that's why I didn't outline the economic aspect of things - it's not terribly compelling. If by the end of the console generation, there's like 150 million of these machines in the wild though, that really adds up to some mass energy use that's largely unnecessary for a standby mode that you actually infrequently use.

Nice, thank you. Can we have the wattage with USB ports powered on as well?

Isn't 4.5W really low? My wi-fi printer uses 1W while in standby if I'm not mistaken, I think 4.5 is totally acceptable. Still, I agree with the sentiment of using rest mode only if you think you'll need it (charging controllers, long nighttime downloads and suspend/resume).

I feel like people are, as expected, completely glossing over the "unless you need it for something." So thanks for actually reading that :)

3-4 watt of standby current is utterly insignificant in comparison to the power we've saved here in the EU by switching to LED bulbs instead of incandescent.

I will leave my consoles on rest mode, with always on charging, as much as i wish.

No doubt, and I appreciate that the magnitude may be different - but I just figured why not try to eliminate all sources of wasted electricity.

Re: "as much as I wish" - I hoped things wouldn't go this way; I am really not trying to tell you what to do, just throwing ideas out there.

Blanquito

...we've known since release that the PS4 and XBO are major problems when it comes to power consumption ... both with respect to their prior generation entries ...

The consoles have actually increased efficiency over their forebears

Is it too early for me or are you contradicting yourself here?

So if I play on my X1 365 days 24/7 that will cost me 250 kW/h.
Times 29,8 cents per hour in Germany that would only be 74,50 €.

Seems like a non issue financially. And I already am 100% digital, so enviromentally I am doing nothing wrong either.

defferoo

to put this into perspective, 4.5W is how much it takes to keep a laptop like the macbook air running with the display on during normal use. (battery life is rated for 12 hrs, battery is 54 Wh so 4.5W on average). So for that minimal functionality.. it doesn't really seem worth it.

rothbart

I certainly don't want to come across as a "wasteful American slob" but really, unless it's using a ludicrous amount of power and adds a very noticeable amount to the power bill, who really looks at something and makes usage decisions based on their power bill? Running a heater or air conditioner 24/7... I'm with ya. But leaving a light bulb, a fan, a gaming console in rest mode on all night... I feel like if I paid myself minimum wage for the time it would take to calculate the cost of doing that... I'm coming out ahead for the month just leaving it on and not wasting my time calculating it.

Maybe if I lived in the boonies and ran my own generator for electricity I'd care, but I just can't bring myself to care about an extra 1.5 watts or even a total of 5 watts and I can't imagine the majority of people do either.

Is it too early for me or are you contradicting yourself here?

Power consumption and energy efficiency are different. They are actually more efficient (ie. less waste) but they consume more energy (mainly cuz they're much more powerful).

So yes, it's too early :)

to put this into perspective, 4.5W is how much it takes to keep a laptop like the macbook air running with the display on during normal use. (battery life is rated for 12 hrs, battery is 54 Wh so 4.5W on average). So for that minimal functionality.. it doesn't really seem worth it.

Sorry, just to clarify - are you saying Rest mode isn't worth it or that avoiding rest mode isnt worth it?

Blanquito

Power consumption and energy efficiency are different. They are actually more efficient (ie. less waste) but they consume more energy (mainly cuz they're much more powerful).

So yes, it's too early :)

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't make sense of it :D

jiggles

Banned
I have energy-saving bulbs all through my house and, if that 4.5W claim is correct, leaving just one of them on uses more power than my PS4 in rest mode. So you'll forgive me if I want to use a little juice for my own convenience. I'll play in the dark.

Melchiah

1. Try to avoid using rest mode unless you need it for something (charging a controller, on a PS Store update day for remote downloading, suspend mode). Otherwise, especially overnight, try to turn your console off.

2. Try to avoid using these consoles for streaming if you have another option. Netflix and DLNA should ideally be used through more power efficient devices (Apple TV or Chromecast)

1. I use the rest mode mainly for automatic updates, so they're done with when I'm actually using the system. There's always a need for it, just like there was on the PS3. I've set the USB charging off to shut off the fan though, and charge the controller from the wall socket with the phone charger.

2. I use PS3 for Netflix and other media. The only alternative option would be to move the laptop to the living room every time I do that, and it's just too incovenient. Particularly without a remote control, which means I'd need to operate it with a mouse/touchpad.

EDIT: The features of the new consoles have increased user convenience, which is why I personally don't see the point in making it more incovenient for me than it has to be.

IvorB

Since I heard about the power consumption in stand-by I have not used rest mode at all (aside from it being really buggy). Stand-by should be a low power state in any electronic device.

1. I use the rest mode mainly for automatic updates, so they're done with when I'm actually using the system. There's always a need for it, just like there was on the PS3. I've set the USB charging off to shut off the fan though, and charge the controller from the wall socket with the phone charger.

2. I use PS3 for Netflix and other media. The only alternative option would be to move the laptop to the living room every time I do that, and it's just too incovenient. Particularly without a remote control, which means I'd need to operate it with a mouse/touchpad.

Thanks for actually engaging as opposed to just saying "Nope" :)

1. I realize this is the one concern, but I just think (a) firmware updates are infrequent (plus I don't let them install until I fire it up anyway) and game updates happen in the background anyway. But obviously this is the downside.

2. And that's why I said "if you have another" option, which many people won't. It's just mostly interesting that they use so much more energy to stream than alternatives.

defferoo

Sorry, just to clarify - are you saying Rest mode isn't worth it or that avoiding rest mode isnt worth it?

Yeah, i was saying it's not worth it. if i can use a computer with the power i'm spending leaving a console in suspend mode, then the console manufacturers have clearly not optimized their suspend mode to use as little energy as possible.

MrBenchmark

I've switched all my main lightbulbs to LED and switched my plasma TV to an LED, so I'm going to leave my ps4 on rest mode all the damned time thank you very much.

I switched to led and had to go back to cfl and halogen in my theater room.
Led bulbs PWM causes interference with to many things still have some vhf ota signal here and when led light are on channels go dead. Also they create EM fields that cut down quality of wireless and cellular devices till these things are handled i wont go back to them and cfl and led dim horribly so my theater room has halogen.

On topic
I use instant on so im not wasting time updating when i want to play. Maybe they can figure out a way to turn on to update them turn off like the PS3 did :)

androvsky

But that's not what I said - just said maybe as a community we could try not to use it unless we need it for something in particular.
Unfortunately, one of the uses of standby is to download patches, which we generally can't predict ahead of time. If a patch downloads in standby mode, it'll save a large amount of power and the user's time versus turning it on, finding there's a patch, and waiting for it to download while the system is at full power.

Oh wow - thanks for the info, Benny. So it basically increases the expenditure of Rest mode by 50%
Well, that's one way to look at it, but the big picture here is 4 watts is a tiny amount of power. If you're concerned with conservation of energy, console standby mode is one of the last places to worry about. It's kind of like complaining about the gas usage of a Toyota Prius when people are commuting alone in giant SUVs.

I should disable the USB ports as I'm not using them to charge anymore. I'll definitely keep the unit in rested state for updates and such though.

I've also grown quite fond of my chromecast for streaming. Maybe I'll use my PC for amazon instead of the PS4 :p Though I don't know how much more efficient that is by comparison.

Anyone have a power breakdown for what a chromecast uses?

Melchiah

Thanks for actually engaging as opposed to just saying "Nope" :)

1. I realize this is the one concern, but I just think (a) firmware updates are infrequent (plus I don't let them install until I fire it up anyway) and game updates happen in the background anyway. But obviously this is the downside.

2. And that's why I said "if you have another" option, which many people won't. It's just mostly interesting that they use so much more energy to stream than alternatives.

You were more quick to answer my post, than I was to edit it. =) So here's what I added there:
The features of the new consoles have increased user convenience, which is why I personally don't see the point in making it more incovenient for me than it has to be.
That's the way I see it. And the power usage is pretty minimal when it comes to a single system.

calder

So if I play on my X1 365 days 24/7 that will cost me 250 kW/h.
Times 29,8 cents per hour in Germany that would only be 74,50 €.

Seems like a non issue financially. And I already am 100% digital, so enviromentally I am doing nothing wrong either.

Wow, electricity really is quite pricey in Europe I guess. It's 7cents /kWh here, so for me having a PS4 on standby for a full year would cost $2.90 CDN. Well, it would but I don't pay for electricity at all, like most buildings the age/size of my apartment complex utilities aren't metered per suite.

Anyway, to the larger point of this thread I appreciate the overall aim of it but worrying about consumer behavior this minor is wasted energy (see what i did there).

Unfortunately, one of the uses of standby is to download patches, which we generally can't predict ahead of time. If a patch downloads in standby mode, it'll save a large amount of power and the user's time versus turning it on, finding there's a patch, and waiting for it to download while the system is at full power.

This is a good point, and I have little to counter with :) But if we sum up the difference between 100 million consoles at 4.5W for 8 - 16 hours of the day they're not being used over a consoles 5-7 year lifespan, and compare it to that NOT happening, we are talking about some serious fucking electricity usage here, which let's all remember is coming from somewhere - where I live that's mainly coal and natural gas.

While these studies have good intentions, large appliances -- and small appliances to some extent -- consume more energy than consumer electronics on standby. A person does way more to help the environment by replacing their old fridge or stove than to shut off their PS4/XBO at night.

And I would never say this should come in place of any of those larger initiatives. But electronics stand-by, especially when you sum all your devices and we're talking about years of use, is not a non-issue.

Necro900

I have energy-saving bulbs all through my house and, if that 4.5W claim is correct, leaving just one of them on uses more power than my PS4 in rest mode. So you'll forgive me if I want to use a little juice for my own convenience. I'll play in the dark.

No way. Turn off your PS4, turn on your apple tv and enjoy those cents/yr you spare.. I don't know, maybe treat yourself with a vacation, or an Ice cream!

Joking aside, I wouldn't keep my ps4 in standby mode for long periods of time anyway, unless I really needed to (gamepad charging, downloads ecc.)..but that goes for any electronic device I own. It's not really the sake of power consumption, fact is I feel kinda uneasy knowing that some device I known is always somehow powered on without any particular reason. Plus, the Ps4 has that glowing red bar, kinda annoying if you're sensitive to glowing leds in the dark while you sleep.

shandy706

I use voice controls for everything from changing channels, to switching devices (TV/Console), to just turning the system on.

Turning the X1 off would sort of defeat the purpose of the ease of use. This costs me pennies a year, so I don't plan on switching things up on my systems.

I might could see it in places that suffer from power consumption/brown/black-outs though.

SRG01

While these studies have good intentions, large appliances -- and small appliances to some extent -- consume more energy than consumer electronics on standby. A person does way more to help the environment by replacing their old fridge or stove than to shut off their PS4/XBO at night.

viveks86

So the xbox one uses more power while doing nothing than when under load?

Moral of the story - stop wasting time on GAF and play more games to save the planet! :p

Top Bottom