• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

womfalcs3

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Sony put themselves in this position. Like I said earlier; Sony needs to pick wisely; either lose more money now by price dropping and gamble for increased base/software sales, or lose less money now and risk losing your market altogether.

Sony is fucked financially either way; they have to decide which will fuck them less long term.

Keping in mind that they forecast an extra 3 million units this fiscal year I'd say its pretty fair bet which direction they chose.

Sony may be losing money on PS3 hardware directly, but they're making money from BD, which without the PS3, would be dead right now. (Not to mention software and accessories.)

I still wouldn't want to be in their position. Still losing money on the hardware 2.5 years later.

A Twisty Fluken said:
Well, this is speculation, but it did have Tsunku, a moderately major name with a media machine behind him, attached to it. I'd imagine there was some outreach there. It was also a sequel. Was the first one similarly brisk out of the gate?

I don't think so - IIRC the GBA version was a slow-burner and it peaked a lot lower than RTGold.

womfalcs3 said:
Sony may be losing money on PS3 hardware directly, but they're making money from BD, which without the PS3, would be dead right now. (Not to mention software and accessories.)

I still wouldn't want to be in their position. Still losing money on the hardware 2.5 years later.

Whatever money they're making from BRD isn't anywhere near enough to cover the losses that the hardware is accruing. Blu-Ray revenue is a drop in the bucket compared to what Sony needs for profitability.

Neo C.

justchris said:
Yeah, but how do they get out of it? Most of the larger, more competent companies have focused almost entirely on a single target market which demands more and better graphics/sounds/AI/physics/gimmicks. Sure, they could pull back from that, but look how well that turned out for Nintendo with the hardcore crowd?
The easiest way would be restrictions made from the console makers, namely focusing on building an affordable console both for consumers and developers.

The situation in the next generation would be more difficult if Sony or MS still try to create the next power house. If this is the case, companies simply need to know their own limits. As we can see, some smart small companies are already focusing on handhelds and Wii.

I believe many gamers are graphic whores just because the marketing says so. If the marketing of many companies wasn't built around graphics, other aspects would probably gain more importance.

womfalcs3 said:

Uh I'm pretty sure that according NPD the PS3 outsold all stand alone B-R players for the first quarter of this year.

Vinci

Danish
justchris said:
Yeah, but how do they get out of it? Most of the larger, more competent companies have focused almost entirely on a single target market which demands more and better graphics/sounds/AI/physics/gimmicks. Sure, they could pull back from that, but look how well that turned out for Nintendo with the hardcore crowd?

You're saying this as if Nintendo gives a damn about the hardcore crowd or feels they're at all necessary. They're icing, a thin layer of it, on a cake three feet high.

botticus

JoshuaJSlone said:
Interesting. I didn't consider it a day one purchase, but figured I'd buy one of the wheel bundles if I saw it somewhere. Weeks later, haven't seen one yet. Plenty of Mario Kart wheel bundles, though.
Try Target if you haven't. They had the game sitting out of the case on shelves with Mario Kart, didn't notice if they had any game-only copies.

Vinci

Danish
Stumpokapow said:
the ps2's best april ever was less than the wii's april this month, just fyi.

That's just sad. Then again, the PS2 never had Wii Fit. Which is the wind in the Wii's sails undeniably at this point.

Haunted

Platinum Games. :(

It's just bomb after bomb for these guys. And they deserve so much more.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Don't get me wrong, some of my favourite Video Games are Black and White.
:lol

Vinci

Danish
Haunted said:
Platinum Games. :(

It's just bomb after bomb for these guys. And they deserve so much more.

Maybe they should try a license or something. Take something that's known, that's not niche at its very foundations, and make a kick-ass game out of it. I'm not sure. Seems really hard for them to crack through whatever barrier exists for new IPs.

Haunted

Vinci said:
Maybe they should try a license or something. Take something that's known, that's not niche at its very foundations, and make a kick-ass game out of it. I'm not sure. Seems really hard for them to crack through whatever barrier exists for new IPs.
Nah, PG should make the games they really want to make and nothing else. They wouldn't be so beloved otherwise.

Maybe the multiplat Bayonetta will do it. Or their DS game. As long as Sega keeps funding their games, I'll keep buying them. Just gotta believe that financial success will come. Someday.

Vinci

Danish
Haunted said:
Nah, PG should make the games they really want to make and nothing else. They wouldn't be so beloved otherwise.

Maybe the multiplat Bayonetta will do it. Or their DS game. As long as Sega keeps funding their games, I'll keep buying them. Just gotta believe that financial success will come. Someday.

The issue is that they're not building name recognition by continuing to make niche titles that only a few thousand ever experience. It's no way to be profitable or stay in business. And I don't want them going out of business or being forced to sell their souls to a larger company. I'm saying to use their talents to create something fantastic of an IP that people know and something they could get into themselves, and then use that as a stepping stone towards new IPs later.

Just seems like they're beating their heads against a wall. Stylishly, but still.

Vinci said:
If I'm remembering my quotes right, Warren Spector once said that the best way for a game developer to get funding to do something interesting is to pursue licenses, and then build the game that they want to build around the characters within that license.

I agree with this idea, and personally think that if Madworld were called "Sin City: The Video Game", it would have had a much better chance at market.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Foil said:
I saw a Ninja Goldfish. :/

ninja-goldfish.jpg
I saw a Ninja Turtle :(.

Vinci

Danish
Shard said:
Exitcebots tallied at just 13,000 units of sales, other numbers revealed Madwrold at 66,000 for its first month and House of the Dead Overkill at 45,000 for its first month.

Message to all those whiny bastards claiming there's nothing to play on the Wii as of late: You fail, and you're hurting good companies. Nice job.

Vinci said:
Message to all those whiny bastards claiming there's nothing to play on the Wii as of late: You fail, and you're hurting good companies. Nice job.

Stupid Vinci. This isn't Mario or Zelda! I can't take thi anymore; i'm putting this console up on Ebay.

creamsugar said:
TOP 20 per platform
http://wiieveryday.blogspot.com/2009/05/npd-412009.html

WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE
WII LEGO STAR WARS: COMPLETE SAGA
WII GUITAR HERO METALLICA
WII GOLD'S GYM CARDIO WORKOUT
WII LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING W/ ZAPPER
WII MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES
WII GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH
WII GAME PARTY 2
WII MY FITNESS COACH
WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL
WII SONIC AND THE BLACK KNIGHT
WII GAME PARTY
WII LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURES
WII NEW PLAY CONTROL! MARIO POWER TENNIS
WII JILLIAN MICHAELS FITNESS ULTIMATUM 2009
WII HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN
WII TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 09
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY

360 THE GODFATHER II
360 RESIDENT EVIL 5
360 GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH
360 GUITAR HERO METALLICA
360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR
360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K9
360 HALO 3
360 HALO WARS
360 CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ASSAULT ON DARK ATHENA
360 X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE UNCAGED ED
360 NBA 2K9
360 WHEELMAN W/ VIN DIESEL
360 LEFT 4 DEAD
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE GOTY ED
360 WWE LEGENDS OF WRESTLEMANIA
360 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV
360 GEARS OF WAR 2
360 FALLOUT 3
360 NINJA BLADE
360 SKATE 2

PS3 THE GODFATHER II
PS3 MLB '09: THE SHOW
PS3 RESIDENT EVIL 5
PS3 KILLZONE 2
PS3 GUITAR HERO METALLICA
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR
PS3 X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE UNCAGED ED
PS3 GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH
PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV
PS3 VALKYRIA CHRONICLES
PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV
PS3 WHEELMAN W/ VIN DIESEL
PS3 CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ASSAULT ON DARK ATHENA
PS3 WWE LEGENDS OF WRESTLEMANIA
PS3 NBA 2K9
PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV
PS3 SONIC'S ULTIMATE GENESIS COLLECTION
PS3 TOM CLANCY'S H.A.W.X.
PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE GOTY ED
PS3 FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 3

NDS POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS
NDS MARIO KART DS
NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES
NDS RHYTHM HEAVEN
NDS PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE CURIOUS VILLAGE
NDS GRAND THEFT AUTO: CHINATOWN WARS
NDS GARDENING MAMA
NDS LEGO STAR WARS: COMPLETE SAGA
NDS MONSTERS VS. ALIENS
NDS HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE
NDS MARIO PARTY
NDS COOKING MAMA
NDS CLUB PENGUIN: ELITE PENGUIN FORCE
NDS SUPER MARIO 64 DS
NDS LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURES
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A DAY
NDS LEGO BATMAN
NDS PETZ DOGZ PACK
NDS BRAIN AGE: TRAIN YOUR BRAIN IN MINUTES A DAY

PSP MORTAL KOMBAT: UNCHAINED
PSP MLB '09: THE SHOW
PSP FLATOUT: HEAD ON
PSP RESISTANCE: RETRIBUTION
PSP GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS
PSP CASTLEVANIA: THE DRACULA X CHRONICLES
PSP IRON MAN
PSP METAL GEAR SOLID: PORTABLE OPS PLUS
PSP SILENT HILL ORIGINS
PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES
PSP CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII
PSP FINAL FANTASY
PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES
PSP FINAL FANTASY II
PSP RATATOUILLE
PSP FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: THE WAR OF THE LIONS
PSP WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2007
PSP WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2009
PSP BEN 10: ALIEN FORCE
PSP WORMS: OPEN WARFARE

Creamsugar's gonna get the wrath of NPD on him for this. Warning Will Robinson, WARNING!

Vinci

Danish
DeaconKnowledge said:
Stupid Vinci. This isn't Mario or Zelda! I can't take thi anymore; i'm putting this console up on Ebay.

Yeah, that's also a message to freaks that only want to buy internally-developed Nintendo games on the console. Monster Games hit one out of the park with ExciteBots; it's the most fun I've had on a console since ... Mario Galaxy. To ignore it to this level is fucking wrong.

Someone prepare an auto-retort to morons who whine about the Wii's recent library, please. Include tiny screenshots of all the recent games that are worth a damn and have them mosaic to spell 'F-U.'

We need it.

So that's why NOA is delaying Layton 2, because they wanted to re-advertise Layton 1 to garner a bigger fanbase for the franchise first instead of continuing on with the fanbase in its then current form.

womfalcs3

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Whatever money they're making from BRD isn't anywhere near enough to cover the losses that the hardware is accruing. Blu-Ray revenue is a drop in the bucket compared to what Sony needs for profitability.

Lowly said:
Uh I'm pretty sure that according NPD the PS3 outsold all stand alone B-R players for the first quarter of this year.

My point was to say if the manufacturing costs are still 10% higher than the PS3's MSRP, I'm sure all the revenue that is coming from PS3-related products compensates. Of course they need more for profitability as a company, as they lost 1 billion dollars last FY.

BD would be dead right now without the PS3. So it's not a black/white issue.

Also, Sony makes money not just from BD player sales, but also licensing, manufacturing/selling of discs, royalties, and the movies themselves.

Flying_Phoenix said:
So that's why NOA is delaying Layton 2, because they wanted to re-advertise Layton 1 to garner a bigger fanbase for the franchise first instead of continuing on with the fanbase in its then current form.

No use paying Lisa Kudrow for advertising for 1 only to cut its legs out by releasing 2.

womfalcs3 said:
My point was to say if the manufacturing costs are still 10% higher than the PS3's MSRP, I'm sure all the revenue that is coming from PS3-related products compensates. Of course they need more for profitability as a company, as they lost 1 billion dollars last FY.

BD would be dead right now without the PS3. So it's not a black/white issue.

You're right. It's red. Tons of it.

Wow . . . all the videogame publisher stocks were up despite the weak sales data

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Stocks of video-game makers made solid gains Friday despite weak sales data for the industry during April, when the slowing economy and a tough comparison period took its toll on sales of game consoles and software.

Wall Street analysts had largely baked in the weakness, though many noted that a sharp drop in sales of next-generation game consoles came as a surprise.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/video-game-stocks-rise-despite-weak-sales-data?siteid=yhoof

TTWO is up a little more than the others apparently due to Carl Ichan raising his stake to 2+million shares.

bmf said:
I take that to mean you're authenticating the pedigree of this list.

Thanks!

No but I know them well enough to know that if it's being attributed to NPD and IF it is accurate, they will begin doing things. Evil, nasty things. Keep an eye out. If it gets pulled than that answers all of our questions.

DMeisterJ

Banned
So PS3 is only 40 bucks over in terms of cost in relation to price. That's not too bad considering the considerable savings they will make with the introduction of the PS3 Slimline, and the smaller chipset apparently in production. They could cut a good bit off of the price of their system and still do a price cut to sell at a small loss, and have the software to back up the loss. Or they could do a modest price cut, and break even, or be close. Much better than the 3 or 400 they were losing per console at launch. (That was the # right?)

Vinci

Danish
DMeisterJ said:
So PS3 is only 40 bucks over in terms of cost in relation to price. That's not too bad considering the considerable savings they will make with the introduction of the PS3 Slimline, and the smaller chipset apparently in production. They could cut a good bit off of the price of their system and still do a price cut to sell at a small loss, and have the software to back up the loss. Or they could do a modest price cut, and break even, or be close. Much better than the 3 or 400 they were losing per console at launch. (That was the # right?)

Or go slim and drop the price just a bit to make a slight profit. Seriously, they really can't keep affording to take losses on these things; software isn't saving them this gen so far, they can't depend on it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Cheez-It said:
I keep seeing comparisons to April 2008. How the fuck are these remotely comparable? One glance at the software chart offers all the insight one needs to explain the discrepancy.

Having high profile games released in April 2008 is no excuse for not releasing high profile games people want to buy in April 2009.

How can you compare anything with that attitude? There's always going to be variation, that's what makes the comparisons interesting.

The software and hardware companies had just as much opportunity to release games and motivate people to buy hardware this april as they did last april. They simply put themselves in a position where they weren't able to, and what we see is the results of such actions.

Jokeropia

As mentioned, April is generally a very slow month (PS2's best April is lower than what Wii did here, for example) but last year's massive growth has spoiled us.

dialmydrive said:
No but I know them well enough to know that if it's being attributed to NPD and IF it is accurate, they will begin doing things. Evil, nasty things. Keep an eye out. If it gets pulled than that answers all of our questions.
So now you're refusing to confirm or deny. Too late really though.

You know how people are saying that 3rd parties have dropped the ball on the Wii?

Well 3rd parties have dropped the ball on the HD consoles when it comes to providing a Wii-like experience.

Why hasn't there been a 3rd party Wii-like peripheral for the PS360 with their own Wii Sports/Wii Fit?

It wouldn't stop the Wii, but said 3rd party would make a killing.

Omar Ismail said:
You know how people are saying that 3rd parties have dropped the ball on the Wii?

Well 3rd parties have dropped the ball on the HD consoles when it comes to providing a Wii-like experience.

Why hasn't there been a 3rd party Wii-like peripheral for the PS360 with their own Wii Sports/Wii Fit?

It wouldn't stop the Wii, but said 3rd party would make a killing.
3rd parties are horrible this generation for the most part. They don't know what way they're going and when someone comes along to show them it will be too late.

Shard said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23644

Exitcebots tallied at just 13,000 units of sales, other numbers revealed Madwrold at 66,000 for its first month and House of the Dead Overkill at 45,000 for its first month.
The racer market on the HD consoles is pretty saturated right now . . Forza 2, PGR3, PGR4, Gran Turismo, yearly Need for Speed, Midnight Club, Grid, etc . . . and the recent HD racers have had relatively weak sales. Perhaps this is affecting the Wii racer market too?

Naw . . . I think it is more that no one even knows about Excitebot or what it is. The name 'excitebot' does not translate into racer. Well, if it bombs and gets a big price cut, I'll pick up a few copies so I can play against nephews.

TheKingsCrown said:
3rd parties are horrible this generation for the most part. They don't know what way they're going and when someone comes along to show them it will be too late.
You need to spend some time on a console other than the Wii.

TheKingsCrown said:
When someone comes around and shows them, they ignore all the things that make those shining examples good and special, and produce shovelware. They'll finally end up getting it 3 years later, and by then, the generation will be over.

The exception is Capcom. They get it, for the HD consoles at least. I don't think any 3rd party has really figured it out for the Wii, but at least Sega is trying.

TheKingsCrown said:

It only seems that Capcom knows how to properly balance ego, erosion, quality, quantity, marketing, and advertising.

Vinci

Danish
Flying_Phoenix said:
It only seems that Capcom knows how to properly balance ego, erosion, quality, quantity, marketing, and advertising.

If MH Tri fails to sell a million in NA, they're still barking mad. There's no excuse for a game with that sort of theme to fall on deaf ears in the land of we-like-to-kill-things-and-feel-like-gods.

Vinci said:
If MH Tri fails to sell a million in NA, they're still barking mad. There's no excuse for a game with that sort of theme to fall on deaf ears in the land of we-like-to-kill-things-and-feel-like-gods.
Are you crazy?! MH will never sell a million in NA. It couldn't on the PS2 so why would it on the Wii.

Vinci

Danish
Hellsing321 said:
Are you crazy?! MH will never sell a million in NA. It couldn't on the PS2 so why would it on the Wii.

My point is that this is the only thing I've noticed in terms of Capcom failing to properly market a title. There is no excuse - none - for Monster Hunter to be a commercial dud in the United States. It makes no sense when you look at what the game does and its subject matter.

Also, the buying public of MH games in general has massively expanded since the PS2 versions.

Top Bottom