• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

Good-at-something-The-Joker-Dark-Knight.gif

Krejlooc

Banned
For the most part, mods have always been free.

Maybe I'm showing my age here, but this is shades of doom and wolfenstein paid expansions from the early 90's. The licensing fee is even built in. Were all these people complaining against, say, Rise of the Triad existing? That game, at it's core, is essentially a very large wolfenstein mod.

Linkark07

Banned
I recall Blizzard wanted to do something like this for Starcraft 2. Dunno what happened.

Anyways, 25% of the purchase to the mod creator?; don't like that at all.

One thing that's extremely shady about all this is the situation with mods that require other mods to function (e.g. many, many mods needing SKSE to properly work). I can't even fathom the legality or morality of that. It's a slippery slope here dealing with derivatives of derivatives and conditionals with conditionals.

Nothing about this is nearly as cut-and-dry as Dota and TF2 hats.

RK9039

Why do people assume this will generate quality paid content?

Look at the workshop now.

That's exactly what it's going to look like - but paid. You're going to be ending up with .99 cent weapons, $4.99 quest packs, etc. And they won't be very good.

Yup, I mean look at this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429561499

Just looks like a standard leather set we see on the nexus site. Oh it's just a follower with a voice pack, my bad.

Hi there.

LOL

Early access mods confirmed.

wickfut

Banned
There is no pricing like that. There is one bundle curated by Bethesda and Valve which contains a collection of mods they have chosen, however many of the mods in there are pay what you want - where the creators have set the minimum value (as low as free, or whatever they think is best for the work).

Free mods are still there. If you don't like the price of something, don't buy it or support it. Particularly for the mods that were free, and have experimented with being paid (with no new content added) you may as well head to nexus and grab it for free as usual until those guys offer something more compelling

Yeah I didn't realise they were from different sources. I thought it was from one author.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429226887

Still fucking disgusting that a collection of mods, which used to be free, can now cost 10x what the game costs.. oh wait , you get £5 off so it's on a special for £19. Bargain.

Mesoian

That was fast and expected.

Kinda. These growing pains are going to be sever.

When people were talking about a pack of mods being sold I was like, "so like, top 20 mods on the steam workshop minus anything that breaks their S&P stuff, right?"

Nope.

Nooooooooooope.

Aweful thing to do. It's just another way for devs (and Valve) to squeeze money out of people and now they don't even have to do anything for it, they simply take a 75% cut. I bet it was Valve's idea. They are quickly turning into a bunch of scumbags.

Nzyme32

That's exactly what it's going to look like - but paid. You're going to be ending up with .99 cent weapons, $4.99 quest packs, etc. And they won't be very good.

Because people will not pay for what they can pick up on nexus for free anyway - ie what is listed as paid now is just old stuff that was free, from creators experimenting with how much money they can scrounge in this new system. Ultimately, most people will revert to the free stuff and not pay, even if that simply means they use the "pay what you want" free option.

Once this settles down and either new mods arrive or old mods are built upon, to offer content that is unique enough and on a larger scale than a traditional mod maybe developed as a larger collaboration with others, perhaps as something regularly updating and expanding, people will pay if the price is right - and by that I still mean very low. I'd suspect such projects are in the minority and the pay what you want variety of mod remains king.

Grief.exe

No surprise here. I imagine most of the new paid mods will be like this, too. Doomed to fail trying to monetize something that's been free for years.

If they are garbage, then the market regulates and they won't get downloaded.

They will either significantly improve, or they won't be worth downloading. If the latter is true, then what would be the point of installing the mod whether it be free or paid?

ZanDatsu

Seems like a great way for talented people to quit the job they hate and make a living doing something they are actually interested in. I hope it makes a lot of people successful.

Enco

Lol I'm good thanks.

Not going to pay for mods that I've been using for free for years.

It'll be nice to see big projects but I feel this will end up with a load of crappy mods on sale. There will always be a community of modders doing it for free though so I'm not fully worried. I just won't partake in this.

Tagyhag

One thing that's extremely shady about all this is the situation with mods that require other mods to function (e.g. many, many mods needing SKSE to properly work). I can't even fathom the legality or morality of that. It's a slippery slope here dealing with derivatives of derivatives and conditionals with conditionals.

Nothing about this is nearly as cut-and-dry as Dota and TF2 hats.

That's a very good point. Couldnt the makers of SKSE want a slice of the pie and not allow any paid mod that uses it to continue unless they get a cut?

injurai

Banned
I see this as a bad thing. I don't mind people dropping mods or doing things more focused in scale. Or having to open source out a project.

MAking a business out of mods will probably only fragment the community. I seek out mods because they are free. Not because I'm looking for 3rd party DLC.

Nzyme32

Yeah I didn't realise they were from different sources. I thought it was from one author.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429226887

Still fucking disgusting that a collection of mods, which used to be free, can now cost 10x what the game costs.. oh wait , you get £5 off so it's on a special for £19. Bargain.

They are all new mods in that pack. At least from what I can tell. One of the creators has even made a blog post about being approached by Valve to create something for it - they were not free to begin with

This just doesn't sit right with me. I just see this as a quick way to make people flee from the workshop and go back to using free sources of mods. Or people will just start pirating mods.

I don't understand why anyone would pay for a mod? For reference, Hearthfire, an expansion to Skyrim, costs five dollars. If a mod wants to pretend it can offer the same amount of content as an official DLC expansion, than go right ahead. Chances are it won't. Shoddy/No Voice acting on quests and it's instantly a no buy.

They are all new mods in that pack. At least from what I can tell. One of the creators has even made a blog post about being approached by Valve to create something for it - they were not free to begin with

Midas Magic has been around since the early days of Oblivion...

I can see this going both ways. On the one hand, amazing content creators can make a career from modding, and get something for their work. On the other, I can see every single mod being behind a price wall, even for something that took only a few minutes. Are there limits being put in place as to how much can be charged?

RulkezX

Not even close , some of them are years old.

reckless

Midas and Wet and Cold were both free but were updated and now cost money.

Mesoian

Naw. iNeed is pretty old, and it's a cool mod.

I don't know if it's 5 dollars cool but...it's cool.

_woLf

This is absolutely disgusting. Sets a VERY bad precedent. Especially with how much "original" content isn't really original.

MUnited83

For you.
I just cannot seem to get the fuck away from DLC.

It began with horse armor, then pre-order content, then day 1 DLC, then on-disc DLC, then season passes, then microtransactions, then store exclusives, then social media exclusives, and now you're telling me mods are basically becoming DLC? Is there still no end in sight?

What's next?

Will it invade my dreams and force me to pay imaginary-me to unlock extra goddamn content?

Enlighten us on why the fuck exactly are you entitled to received thousands upon thousands of content, some that take years to develop, for free?

Wow, I'm really torn on this.

On one hand, I have nothing against the principle of modders selling their work. If they have permission it's basically similar to using licensed assets.

But on the other hand, this is 100% only going to lead to a mass flood of low quality garbage out to make a quick buck. Look at Steam Greenlight if you don't believe me. Not to mention the system seems kinda broken from the ridiculous revenue share to the fact the refund system is inevitably going to create mod DRM.

Maybe if this was better implemented I'd be more for it. But right now it seems like a poor system at a poor time.

I don't think this will inevitably be a big deal though. Most mods have no market pull, so they'll probably have to be free just to get any audience at all. The only paid mods are probably going to end up being the low quality money baiting stuff.

Nzyme32

Yup. Got a feeling people will happily manually install ripped versions of these mods to save money.

I think this should be expected until some meaningful mods come along that are deserving of a price being paid and update so regularly and with good enough content that piracy becomes the worse option for those people.

Current mods that were free, and are now (at the volition of their creators) paid mods with no new content or promise of new updates and features, are pretty much doomed in my eyes, as I'll easily pick up the older free version that is near identical - and I suspect practically everyone will do the same and drive them to move to the pay what you want option.

The guys that actually produce something on a larger scale that is prove to be regularly evolving with meaningful content, is a mod that I am much more likely to be willing to either donate to or pay for outright.

wickfut

Banned
Because people will not pay for what they can pick up on nexus for free anyway - ie what is listed as paid now is just old stuff that was free, from creators experimenting with how much money they can scrounge in this new system. Ultimately, most people will revert to the free stuff and not pay, even if that simply means they use the "pay what you want" free option.

Once this settles down and either new mods arrive or old mods are built upon, to offer content that is unique enough and on a larger scale than a traditional mod maybe developed as a larger collaboration with others, perhaps as something regularly updating and expanding, people will pay if the price is right - and by that I still mean very low. I'd suspect such projects are in the minority and the pay what you want variety of mod remains king.

So how much stuff do you think will remain free on the Nexus once people start making money off simple weapon skins on the Workshop?

How many times have you downloaded a collection of mods and found them to be incompatible with other mods? In some playthroughs of Skyrim I've had over 100 mods running and to get it working I've had to cut out some mods and add in others as a work around. Now imagine doing that when you have to pay say £1-3 per mod.

Like I've previously stated, I see no good coming from this.

What's next? Blocking unauthorised none workshop mods?

Krakn3Dfx

I wonder if this will be what finally pushes Bethesda to add Steam Workshop support to FO3/NV/Oblivion. That might be the one plus here.

Also removing GFWL from FO3 maybe.

Nzyme32

Not even close , some of them are years old.

Midas and Wet and Cold were both free but were updated and now cost money.

Naw. iNeed is pretty old, and it's a cool mod.

I don't know if it's 5 dollars cool but...it's cool.

Ah I stand corrected then - with no ratings on them and that blog post, I assumed they were new. If there is no meaningful new content in them, and no promise of continuing support and evolving it through updates, I see no reason to pay for them rather than picking them up via the old versions on nexus

Randdalf

One assumes that the quality content that is actually worth paying for will be given higher prominence in the workshop. It's easy enough to read the reviews and comments to see if a mod is worth the money.

Kama_1082

Banned
So how much stuff do you think will remain free on the Nexus once people start making money off simple weapon skins on the Workshop?

How many times have you downloaded a collection of mods and found them to be incompatible with other mods? In some playthroughs of Skyrim I've had over 100 mods running and to get it working I've had to cut out some mods and add in others as a work around. Now imagine doing that when you have to pay say £1-3 per mod.

Like I've previously stated, I see no good coming from this.

What's next? Blocking unauthorised none workshop mods?
Possible DMCA on mods that closely resembles paid ones? That's the first thing that comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom