• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC09 Thread of iPhones and Snow Leopards

goodcow

If I do an early upgrade to the 3GS and sell my phone to a friend or just eBay it, do they go month to month, or are they required to sign a two-year contract with AT&T?

I'm thinking of selling my 2G. How do I move over all my contacts to the new phone? And do I have to restore my old iPhone before I activate the new one?

Bowser

RBH said:
Or this:

30iyp85.gif

:)

gtfo2.gif

:(

giga

Argh, did you have to post those gifs in this thread where most will use Safari?

The copy dialog now offers a "keep both" option when two files have the same name:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%205.47.37%20PM.png

Auto time-zone:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%206.39.25%20PM.png

Services are more useful now under contextual menus:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%206.55.41%20PM.png

As well as the regular location:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%206.56.47%20PM.png

Another example of contextual menus services, finally:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%206.59.39%20PM.png

Almost everything is 64-bit, these are still 32-bit still (Carbon I suppose):

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.01.57%20PM.png

Airport in the menubar actually shows signal strength, opt+click brings more details than before:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.04.26%20PM.png

Flash Player is included by default:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.08.31%20PM.png

If you have an Apple Bluetooth KB, it shows a percentage now instead of the bars:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.24.12%20PM.png

Preview annotations have received a major upgrade. Lots of things you can customize and do now (before/after):

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.31.39%20PM.png

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.31.13%20PM.png

Search result options finally have more sorting options (and you can see screenshots have more useful names):

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.34.50%20PM.png

Movie/Audio/Screen recording in Quicktime 10:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.51.36%20PM.png

Clippings can finally be copy/pasted and Quick Looked:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.55.15%20PM.png

You can delay the unlock screen after sleep/screensaver:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.57.58%20PM.png

Finder can be set to search the current folder by default now:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%208.07.12%20PM.png

DMG icon finally 512px:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%208.08.22%20PM.png

LCfiner

that's one hell of a post, giga. nice little tweaks to the system.

the day itunes is in cocoa and 64 bit, maybe we'll finally see some major speed boosts from it.

giga

It's definitely the fastest Mac OS I've ever used. Who knew rewriting Finder and making it multi-threaded would help so much.

Ashhong

Quick question about the Touch and 3.0. will new iPod Touches include 3.0 starting next Wednesday? Meaning can I walk in and expect a free 3.0 update? my friend seems to think a free 3.0 update wont be until the next generation of Touches come out.

I just realized I've never opened the Services menu other than the first time I saw it.

blame space said:
Will I be able to upgrade directly from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard for $29?
No, but retail Snow Leopard non-upgrade is $169 and comes with iLife '09 and iWork '09, which is still solid.

Phoenix

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I just realized I've never opened the Services menu other than the first time I saw it.

No, but retail Snow Leopard non-upgrade is $169 and comes with iLife '09 and iWork '09, which is still solid.

That's the 'official' and 'without hacking the distribution media' response, however its always been pretty easy to get OSX to install regardless of which version you owned.

Futureman

LCfiner said:
that's one hell of a post, giga. nice little tweaks to the system.

the day itunes is in cocoa and 64 bit, maybe we'll finally see some major speed boosts from it.

I'm on a 3 year old iMac, 3 GB of RAM and I don't see how iTunes could be any smoother. I don't watch video though, maybe that's what you mean. My only complaint right now is that the CD covers in coverflow have to be reloaded after maybe an hour or so.

impirius

Battlezone said:
But see, that gif by itself isn't a problem. I lurk in the NFL and NBA threads all the time, and the only time it slows down for me is if somebody quotes the gif five posts in a row. Maybe I'm just lucky. And maybe I should thank Karakand for not cluttering up College Football-Age with a bunch of gifs!

flairusc.gif

When the gif issue is finally fixed, we should make a "Safari users catch up on the past couple of years of animated gifs" megathread.

Timan

Developer
It is sad, safari can not view more than 2 animated gifs on the screen at the same time. Going into certain threads here realllllllly beachball the app.

Big complaint about Snow Leopard :( the new quicktime has "no" options what so ever.

LCfiner

Futureman said:
I'm on a 3 year old iMac, 3 GB of RAM and I don't see how iTunes could be any smoother. I don't watch video though, maybe that's what you mean. My only complaint right now is that the CD covers in coverflow have to be reloaded after maybe an hour or so.

load time could be faster. switching between devices, the store and playlists could be faster. scrolling through thousands of artists in grid mode could be faster.

i mean, i like itunes and it runs OK on my machine. but there is certainly room for speed improvements when navigating around the UI.

32bit iTunes makes me sad. It's piratically their flagship piece of software and they can't compile a 64 bit version for (Snow) Leopard users? Bullshit.

I might actually use the Services menu now. I know how powerful it is, but it's such a damn mess in it's current form that I don't go near it. Also having Services in context menus is brilliant.

bionic77 said:
Updating your iPhone also takes forever on iTunes.

This is more the fault of the slow flash memory Apple puts inside iPhones. You think they could spring for some faster memory considering how damn expensive the phone is.

LCfiner said:
load time could be faster. switching between devices, the store and playlists could be faster. scrolling through thousands of artists in grid mode could be faster.

i mean, i like itunes and it runs OK on my machine. but there is certainly room for speed improvements when navigating around the UI.
I'm starting to think that we're going to see a big overhaul of iTunes with the Snow Leopard version/iTunes X, but then I figure we aren't going to see that until Apple's September iPod event, which could be before Snow Leopard's release or after, for all we know.

StrikerObi said:
32bit iTunes makes me sad. It's piratically their flagship piece of software and they can't compile a 64 bit version for (Snow) Leopard users? Bullshit.

I might actually use the Services menu now. I know how powerful it is, but it's such a damn mess in it's current form that I don't go near it. Also having Services in context menus is brilliant.
I'm 99% sure Cocoa iTunes will be released in September at the iPod event.

panda21

wow i was just about to ask if it was worth installing the new dev. version, since it doesnt have the new dock expose yet

i think yes :) the speed improvement should be worth it

do you know if it runs a 64bit kernel on your machine? (type uname -a at the terminal) i'm not sure if my macbook pro can do that or not, i have a 2.6ghz core 2 duo.

LCfiner said:
99% sure, huh?

Educated guess or have you been talking to folks at wwdc?
:D
Just an educated guess :).
Apple is shouting that they will bring all major apps to Cocoa, and most of the time they show off a new iTunes at the iPod events.

digital

Banned
giga said:
It's definitely the fastest Mac OS I've ever used. Who knew rewriting Finder and making it multi-threaded would help so much.
And I thought Leopard was already pretty snappy with the Intel SSD I put in my Macbook... It's hard to imagine how much snappier it could be with these performance upgrades in Snow Leopard.

Evlar

Banned
My mac mini is strapped for hard drive space so I'm happy to know Snow Leopard will use less hard drive space than Leopard. It's amazing.

LCfiner

Unlimited4s said:
Just an educated guess :).
Apple is shouting that they will bring all major apps to Cocoa, and most of the time they show off a new iTunes at the iPod events.

makes sense. the timing is right on track with the September 10.6 release.

if 10.6 comes out and everything is 64 bit except itunes, it will be a real black eye for Apple (amongst tech geeks, anyway).

Doc Evils

motherfuck, Vodafone wants me to pay £90 to cancel my contract with them which ends in January. Great way to treat an old customer. No iPhone for me then. :/

Jasoco

Banned
Question for the people who have the preview:

Is Spotlight fixed? In other words, is Spotlight returned to its former Tiger glory? IN OTHER WORDS, DO SPOTLIGHT SEARCHES ALLOW FOR FOLDER CUSTOMIZATION?

Start a Spotlight search (Command+F), and search for something. Then press Command+J and tell me if they allow you to change the folder options again. Or did they fuck up and keep that part gimped?

In other words, CAN I SORT MY SEARCHES BY DATE CREATED OR LABEL OR FILE SIZE AGAIN?

This is the ONE FEATURE I want back. The most missed feature I have. Tiger had it. It was perfect. Leopard ripped it all out. For no good reason. If this hasn't been returned in Snow Leopard, I will cry myself to sleep every night from now until the end of September.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Just read an old Ars article and I'm too lazy to check my local install - but is Apple really saving close to 4gigs of space simply by not including all printer drivers in the Snow Leopard install?

giga

Jasoco said:
Question for the people who have the preview:

Is Spotlight fixed? In other words, is Spotlight returned to its former Tiger glory? IN OTHER WORDS, DO SPOTLIGHT SEARCHES ALLOW FOR FOLDER CUSTOMIZATION?

Start a Spotlight search (Command+F), and search for something. Then press Command+J and tell me if they allow you to change the folder options again. Or did they fuck up and keep that part gimped?

In other words, CAN I SORT MY SEARCHES BY DATE CREATED OR LABEL OR FILE SIZE AGAIN?

This is the ONE FEATURE I want back. The most missed feature I have. Tiger had it. It was perfect. Leopard ripped it all out. For no good reason. If this hasn't been returned in Snow Leopard, I will cry myself to sleep every night from now until the end of September.
This screenshot is a search:

Screenshot%20on%202009-06-09%20at%207.34.50%20PM.png

Date created and label are also available in view options.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
So, did Apple FINALLY decided to get rid of the ugly-as-fuck striped fluorescent aqua buttons and scrollbars for Snow Leopard, which have been there since OSX 10.1?

Nope, apparently not.

They uglify everything else in the OS, and still out like a sore thumb. I'm not sure if Apple's UI people simply don't realize this, or just don't care. It's definitely not difficult to change, cause the first thing I do after every OSX install is replace the system scrollbars with the itunes scrollbar style, which takes like 30 seconds. I don't see why Apple can't do the same.

I agree I hate those scrollbars. I changed them in the OS X image I made at work, so everyone has the nice iTunes ones :)

Does anyone else not have Directory Utility in the latest Dev seed? Seems like a strange omission for testing AD/Exchange integration.

Good Lord, Snow Leopard is fast. You don't really notice it in normal usage, especially since iTunes is still 32-bit, but when you boot and start up around five programs, they're all nearly instantly available. When you load 3rd-party programs that are still 32-bit, you notice the huge gap in speed.

ckohler

My iMac at home doesn't have a Core 2 Duo. It was the original Intel iMac and has a Core Duo. Am I going to be missing out on all the 64bit goodness?

Futureman

ckohler said:
My iMac at home doesn't have a Core 2 Duo. It was the original Intel iMac and has a Core Duo. Am I going to be missing out on all the 64bit goodness?

Yea, from what I can see online, looks like Core Duo was 32-bit and Core 2 Duo is 64.

arab

i am at a crossroads, gaf...

$1000 for a refurbished 13 inch 2 ghz unibody macbook
or
$1200 for a new 13 inch 2.23 ghz pro
or
$1200 for a used 13 inch 2.4 ghz macbook with 320gb and 4 gb of ram and 3 years apple care

i'm leaning towards the last one

guise

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Good Lord, Snow Leopard is fast. You don't really notice it in normal usage, especially since iTunes is still 32-bit, but when you boot and start up around five programs, they're all nearly instantly available. When you load 3rd-party programs that are still 32-bit, you notice the huge gap in speed.

Awesome. One of my biggest niggles with leopard is its startup time. This, plus dock expose/drag & drop between apps makes me day one.

impirius

arab said:
i am at a crossroads, gaf...

$1000 for a refurbished 13 inch 2 ghz unibody macbook
or
$1200 for a new 13 inch 2.23 ghz pro
or
$1200 for a used 13 inch 2.4 ghz macbook with 320gb and 4 gb of ram and 3 years apple care

i'm leaning towards the last one
I'd go for the new Pro. The screens were really the worst part of the old MacBooks, so if the new screen is as good as advertised, it will be a huge improvement. I'm not sure how much RAM the older ones will take, but the new ones will take 8GB, so there's room to upgrade there in the future.

LCfiner

impirius said:
I'd go for the new Pro. The screens were really the worst part of the old MacBooks, so if the new screen is as good as advertised, it will be a huge improvement. I'm not sure how much RAM the older ones will take, but the new ones will take 8GB, so there's room to upgrade there in the future.

I agree. better screens and longer battery life are things you'll appreciate every time you use it.

plus you can upgrade to huge amounts of RAM when it drops in price.

arab

impirius said:

i thought they fixed the screens in the macbook recently...all i know is that the macbook itself was manufactured in march of 09.

kaskade

I'm debating on which macbook pro 13 inch to get. I was originally going to go for the 1600 dollar model mostly for the backlit keyboard. Now I can get the specs for that version in the 1100 model (with the education discount). I don't know if it would be worth it to spend the extra 300 for the extra stuff.

ThePeacemaker02 said:
I don't know if it would be worth it to spend the extra 300 for the extra stuff.
If you know how to open a computer and replace memory and hard drives yourself, it isn't. Get the cheaper one.

arab said:
i thought they fixed the screens in the macbook recently...all i know is that the macbook itself was manufactured in march of 09.
No, those were random people that got lucky and got the updated Pro screens before it was official.

Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes for apple to get in their new ipod touches? I talked to the woman at the apple store and she said they won't necessarily have any new ones since they have to run out of the old ones before they get the ones with 3.0... Does it usually take a while? Because if it does I might as well get my macbook tomorrow instead of waiting until wednesday for 3.0 to come out.

Edit: Also, have people seen the new pros and stuff in the stores already? I forgot to ask when I was on the phone.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
ckohler said:

a guy on here said he has a dev copy of 10.6 on his core duo macbook.. and he reports a huge speed boost as well.. so even without the 64bit cpu, you should get a nice boost.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes for apple to get in their new ipod touches? I talked to the woman at the apple store and she said they won't necessarily have any new ones since they have to run out of the old ones before they get the ones with 3.0... Does it usually take a while? Because if it does I might as well get my macbook tomorrow instead of waiting until wednesday for 3.0 to come out.

Edit: Also, have people seen the new pros and stuff in the stores already? I forgot to ask when I was on the phone.

September is the ipod event.. so probably then. i don't see why they wouldnt update them when the iphones just were.. and usually ipods are released the next day after they are announced...

oh, and the free ipod touch deal is probably there to get rid of inventory for the new ones coming out.. i doubt the deal will still be in effect when they are released.

quadriplegicjon said:
a guy on here said he has a dev copy of 10.6 on his core duo macbook.. and he reports a huge speed boost as well.. so even without the 64bit cpu, you should get a nice boost.

September is the ipod event.. so probably then. i don't see why they wouldnt update them when the iphones just were.. and usually ipods are released the next day after they are announced...

oh, and the free ipod touch deal is probably there to get rid of inventory for the new ones coming out.. i doubt the deal will still be in effect when they are released.

No, I mean the one that ships with 3.0 not the next revision.

Blackhead

Redarse
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
No, I mean the one that ships with 3.0 not the next revision.
If you get one after the release date, but it doesn't have the 3.0 firmware, call Apple and they are usually understanding.

Top Bottom