• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

thetwinsattack

Neo Member
Hah, yeah, the tearing is annoying but I am past getting worked up about it now. The box just isn't as powerful as it should have been.

Overall I am still impressed and no question the atmosphere is at times absolutely brilliant.

danowat

Banned
Hah, yeah, the tearing is annoying but I am past getting worked up about it now. The box just isn't as powerful as it should have been.

Overall I am still impressed and no question the atmosphere is at times absolutely brilliant.

Oh definitely mate, I always have a smile a mile wide when playing it, despite all the niggles and annoyances.

thetwinsattack

Neo Member
Oh definitely mate, I always have a smile a mile wide when playing it, despite all the niggles and annoyances.

Absolutely. When the rain cleared during that race and I was able to catch up a little it was magic and I could feel the water in the air.

There is so much racing to be had in this game it's extraordinary.

Mascot

SWzTq5Y.gif

I really love the glow from the brake lights in this game. It's particularly atmospheric in heavy fog conditions where you sometimes can't even see the cars in the distance, but then a stream of brake lights sequentially appear out of the murk. Makes me smile every time.

Vaga

Played a lot over the weekend so here's my input so far (PS4, pad, pro handling, all assists off etc):

-karts: made the mistake and started the career with a kart championship, after an hour or so I contemplated about breaking the disc in half, never had such a frustrating experience in a sim before. Took a while to get used to, managed to master them and won several championships. But I would never ever drive them again, they are simply not fun to drive.
-pad settings out of the box: UTTER AND COMPLETE SHIT, I can't figure out how this game shipped with controls settings not calibrated for the DS4, it's like it was not even tested. Some race cars are simply un-driveable until you tweak the pad controls.
-steering lock: the moment you try to take a chicane (fast left-right movement on the pad) the game only recognizes one input and fully locks the steering wheel in that direction making the car lose control and spin out. It is apparently fixed by setting deadzone to 0 (I still get this behaviour in some cars at reduced extent) but still massive oversight at launch.
-the career mode: absolutely no incentive to advance, no rewards, no xp, no unlocks. Finished your race? Good job here's another one aaand another one aaaand ano... :/
-unpolished, rushed game: lots of bugs, from cars getting out the pits straight into the wall to coming into the pit lane straight into the wall, once had my car stuck in front of the pits because it kept hitting a CONE made of cement apparently right and kept backing up and forward into it again and again. Graphical quirks here and there, some slight tearing, cars have no lights in the mirror and things dissapear so fast in it, slight stuttering once in a while (very annoying when mid cornering), LOD changes just ahead of your car, people I play online losing calibration on their wheels at race start, sound cuts and so on.
-weather: an obviously strong personal opinion (and one I had since the first videos of PCars weather emerged) so I won't beat the drum too much on it but I don't find the weather graphics as being nice (ugly wet road textures, ugly rain droplets on screen/windshield, no rain drops accumulation), there is another recent game that does it much much better.
-unintuitive, cumbersome menu UI: you expect a 2015 game to be better at this also a very poor choice for a text font

+race cars
+race cars
+race cars
+engine music
+tracks
+online

On the plus side this is what makes the game a solid buy for me, although I honestly expected a lot more and rightfully regreted the purchase the first hours or so (fuckin stupid karts). Some beautifully crafted machines, a nice selection of race tracks and a pretty solid online experience. Whether it's GT3 class, formula rookie, LMP or vintage race cars this is where the game shines. You can see the dedication and work that was put into developing these cars (as opposed to road cars that drive like shit), the models, the sound they make, the way they handle on track just pure bliss. The moment will come, whether you're roaring around NurbGP in a Z4 GT3 with friends or just cruising alone at Oulton in a 1967 GT40 at sundown, when it will all make sense.

If you're on a fence about PCars I'd say wait a few months till most of the problems get sorted out. If you're a petrol simhead then this game is just for you right now. It is a sim but not a fully hardcore one, I would say on par with GT/Forza with a lot more settings to tweak here and there. If Polyphony could learn and adapt to some of the pluses this game has and build on those what an amazing GT game will turn out to be.

P44

Played a lot over the weekend so here's my input so far (PS4, pad, pro handling, all assists off etc):

-karts: made the mistake and started the career with a kart championship, after an hour or so I contemplated about breaking the disc in half, never had such a frustrating experience in a sim before. Took a while to get used to, managed to master them and won several championships. But I would never ever drive them again, they are simply not fun to drive.
-pad settings out of the box: UTTER AND COMPLETE SHIT, I can't figure out how this game shipped with controls settings not calibrated for the DS4, it's like it was not even tested. Some race cars are simply un-driveable until you tweak the pad controls.
-steering lock: the moment you try to take a chicane (fast left-right movement on the pad) the game only recognizes one input and fully locks the steering wheel in that direction making the car lose control and spin out. It is apparently fixed by setting deadzone to 0 (I still get this behaviour in some cars at reduced extent) but still massive oversight at launch.
-the career mode: absolutely no incentive to advance, no rewards, no xp, no unlocks. Finished your race? Good job here's another one aaand another one aaaand ano... :/
-unpolished, rushed game: lots of bugs, from cars getting out the pits straight into the wall to coming into the pit lane straight into the wall, once had my car stuck in front of the pits because it kept hitting a CONE made of cement apparently right and kept backing up and forward into it again and again. Graphical quirks here and there, some slight tearing, cars have no lights in the mirror and things dissapear so fast in it, slight stuttering once in a while (very annoying when mid cornering), LOD changes just ahead of your car, people I play online losing calibration on their wheels at race start, sound cuts and so on.
-weather: an obviously strong personal opinion (and one I had since the first videos of PCars weather emerged) so I won't beat the drum too much on it but I don't find the weather graphics as being nice (ugly wet road textures, ugly rain droplets on screen/windshield, no rain drops accumulation), there is another recent game that does it much much better.
-unintuitive, cumbersome menu UI: you expect a 2015 game to be better at this also a very poor choice for a text font

+race cars
+race cars
+race cars
+engine music
+tracks
+online

On the plus side this is what makes the game a solid buy for me, although I honestly expected a lot more and rightfully regreted the purchase the first hours or so (fuckin stupid karts). Some beautifully crafted machines, a nice selection of race tracks and a pretty solid online experience. Whether it's GT3 class, formula rookie, LMP or vintage race cars this is where the game shines. You can see the dedication and work that was put into developing these cars (as opposed to road cars that drive like shit), the models, the sound they make, the way they handle on track just pure bliss. The moment will come, whether you're roaring around NurbGP in a Z4 GT3 with friends or just cruising alone at Oulton in a 1967 GT40 at sundown, when it will all make sense.

If you're on a fence about PCars I'd say wait a few months till most of the problems get sorted out. If you're a petrol simhead then this game is just for you right now. It is a sim but not a fully hardcore one, I would say on par with GT/Forza with a lot more settings to tweak here and there. If Polyphony could learn and adapt to some of the pluses this game has and build on those what an amazing GT game will turn out to be.

How would you tweak the pad to make it better? I'm also having issues.

leng jai

I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about the career mode. It's utterly pointless in terms of progression or sense of accomplishment. It's worse than DC's tour mode, at least that had some sort of goals to it.

Can you post a screenshot about your controller settings?

Thanks!

TheMan

I'm super disappointed to hear about the shitty pad controls, I didn't read anything like that in reviews. Question- is there outright input lag like there was in nfs shift?

danowat

Banned
I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about the career mode. It's utterly pointless in terms of progression or sense of accomplishment. It's worse than DC's tour mode, at least that had some sort of goals to it.

What would you suggest?.

JamboGT

No input lag or anything, just poor default settings.

Shift was atrocious though.

I actually find the career mode to be really good.

Vaga

How would you tweak the pad to make it better? I'm also having issues.

Try this guide here.

I'm super disappointed to hear about the shitty pad controls, I didn't read anything like that in reviews. Question- is there outright input lag like there was in nfs shift?

The lag is mostly attributed to having stupid HIGH deadzones on pad controls by default. So setting deadzones to 0 helps a lot. Another important setting to fiddle about is control filtering and sensitivity which seems to make different cars behave differently. Wall bashing I know.

Can you post a screenshot about your controller settings?

Thanks!

I will when I get home.

Trojan X

Banned
I really love the glow from the brake lights in this game. It's particularly atmospheric in heavy fog conditions where you sometimes can't even see the cars in the distance, but then a stream of brake lights sequentially appear out of the murk. Makes me smile every time.

It's shocking to me that some people don't even like that. They ask for realism, they get it and it actually increases the "surprise" factor of racing, and yet they don't like it and complain about the graphics such as water spraying. They say this and STILL ask for realism. That's madness! Come on, don't they watch real racing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cemwPN05eOY

LilJoka

Yeah, in fact its worse than Assetto Corsa's primitive career mode as you cant add your own custom events! Atleast in AC you can download a particular series' season and play it as a career. The main mode on PCars is just Solo, there is no point in career, the career mode is like preset Solo settings....

PCars is literally the same as any other sim on PC in this regard, it missed the Forza/GT aspect entirely, poor pad settings, no progression, no real incentive to come back and play.

The only reason sims on PC actually sell is because of this model, people are happy to just drive, but thats exactly the opposite on console. Itll be very interesting to see some sales numbers on console.

Mascot

It's shocking to me that some people don't even like that. They ask for realism, they get it and it actually increases the "surprise" factor of racing, and yet they don't like it and complain about the graphics such as water spraying. They say this and STILL ask for realism. That's madness! Come on, don't they watch real racing?

I was talking about racing in the fog (which I love in pCARS) as opposed to racing in the rain (which I hate), but yeah, I agree with your point.

ValfarHL

Hoooly shit. He has the biggest balls of steel I've ever seen.

Goldrusher

Community Ambassador
Participated in 20 Driver Network Community Events

Worst trophy in the game.

1. These are weekly time trials. You need 20 of them. See you in 5 months.
2. You'll be lucky if the leaderboards update with your lap time. So hopefully the game itself also saves your participation.

Vaga

2. You'll be lucky if the leaderboards update with your lap time. So hopefully the game itself also saves your participation.

Nope. I noticed leaderboards update but takes a while.

Sunday Driver - Driven the speed limit (50 km/h) in an Italian car and appreciated the Azure coastal scenery

Fuck this one. I don't have 40 mins to dick around in a Zonda watching I don't go over the limit. To add to the insult it's a bronze trophy.

danowat

Banned

There is more than one a week............

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Nope. I noticed leaderboards update but takes a while.

Fuck this one. I don't have 40 mins to dick around in a Zonda watching I don't go over the limit. To add to the insult it's a bronze trophy.

I love seeing posts like these. :D

DryvBy

+race cars
+race cars
+race cars
+engine music
+tracks
+online

How's the netcode? One of the main reasons I bought this was for online play with my cousin.

How's the netcode? One of the main reasons I bought this was for online play with my cousin.
It handles poor connection drivers fairly badly from my experience.

Those drivers skip and twitch around the place, also if the host is poor then you can get a stuttering effect going on, which can be quite frustrating if you encounter it on a corner.

I mean I wouldn't say it is overall very bad, but like a hell of a lot of stuff in this game it to me it comes across like 'that'll do', 'that's good enough' and could have done with a bit more time spent on it.

DryvBy

It handles poor connection drivers fairly badly from my experience.

Those drivers skip and twitch around the place, also if the host is poor then you can get a stuttering effect going on, which can be quite frustrating if you encounter it on a corner.

I mean I wouldn't say it is overall very bad, but like a hell of a lot of stuff in this game it to me it comes across like 'that'll do', 'that's good enough' and could have done with a bit more time spent on it.

Yikes. My cousin has such a bad connection that if he streams on low while playing online, the voice chat feature quits working. Oh well, maybe this game will force him to pay $50 for internet instead of $20.

Azzawon

New post regarding the lobby browser on XB1 from a senior network programmer. This game is quite honestly the most transparent I have ever experienced, you have to commend them for that.

Alexandru Marian said:
Hi guys, just wanted to quickly post that there is an easy way to join the online lobbies of friends or people you follow on Xbox Live without them having to manually invite you - you can use the Friends app on your Xbox One to find your friends and select the "Join Game" option from their detailed profile view. This will work as long as those players haven't created a private session (in which case they will have to manually invite you). From within the app you can also see which of your friends is currently playing Project Cars.

As for browsing available sessions like on PC and PS4 we are looking at the possibility of adding the session browser to the Xbox One version of the game in an upcoming patch.

In the meantime we hope the "Search" functionality in Race Central can help you find some sessions for you to join. Just keep in mind that the matchmaker will avoid matching you into sessions that are geographically located far away from you which would result in high ping rates and a bad online experience when actually going into the race.

Obviously more of a workaround for now, but I'm glad that the actual developers are coming out to address issues that people are having with the game.

Yikes. My cousin has such a bad connection that if he streams on low while playing online, the voice chat feature quits working. Oh well, maybe this game will force him to pay $50 for internet instead of $20.
Well I'm talking from the perspective of seeing drivers who themselves have bad connections.

I don't know how they driver with said bad connection is faring, it might be OK for them.

Like I said it isn't terribad, but it could be improved.

Mascot

Fucking LOL OF DOOOOOOOOM at people moaning about utterly pointless trophies and achievements. Is that why you bought this game? SMH.

MilkyJoe

Except the console versions as the lights do not reflect in the wet road which i find really jarring considering how the rest of the wet graphics look.

LilJoka

New post regarding the lobby browser on XB1 from a senior network programmer. This game is quite honestly the most transparent I have ever experienced, you have to commend them for that.

Obviously more of a workaround for now, but I'm glad that the actual developers are coming out to address issues that people are having with the game.

Is it a workaround when you cant actually join a game with a track/car combo you like (on X1)? Not really... Thought they were blaming Microsoft for not being able to implement a server browser just earlier. Sorry but they have lost my trust already....

Azzawon

Is it a workaround when you cant actually join a game with a track/car combo you like (on X1)? Not really... Thought they were blaming Microsoft for not being able to implement a server browser just earlier. Sorry but they have lost my trust already....

It's a workaround for people who are trying to join their friends online without an invite, even if it's a common feature for XB1 haha

I think the claims that Microsoft were to blame for not having a lobby browser were misguided, but I'm not the person to know. It was a forum mod that claimed that, not a developer. It'll be interesting to see if the lobby browser is different on XB1 when it is implemented.

LilJoka

It's a workaround for people who are trying to join their friends online without an invite, even if it's a common feature for XB1 haha

I think the claims that Microsoft were to blame for not having a lobby browser were misguided, but I'm not the person to know. It was a forum mod that claimed that, not a developer. It'll be interesting to see if the lobby browser is different on XB1 when it is implemented.

I think ive seen enough evidence from pretend cars racing blog to see that the mods are full of rubbish, todays claims just cement it further.

Vaga

Rarely ran into the occasional dial-up user that warps around so as I stated it's solid. Still the online part is the least you have to worry about this game.

This game looks so good.

If they release dlc car packs, I will be throwing my money at the screen.

First they should focus on fixing issues instead of throwing out paid DLCs.

DryvBy

Fucking LOL OF DOOOOOOOOM at people moaning about utterly pointless trophies and achievements. Is that why you bought this game? SMH.

Imagine leaderboards. If there's a complaint about a leaderboard, do you automatically assume it's stupid to complain about leaderboards? And assume they're playing the game just to get a high score?

And who cares if someone buys a game for cheevos? It's stupid to me too, but it doesn't bother me. People game for different reasons.

Logsi

Since adjusting;

Steering controls
Turned off the helmet
Turned off depth of field
added camera shake
turned off menu music
and only have ABS on

...The game is immense! Loving the clio. Just so much fun. Great dynamics of front wheel drive with lift off oversteer and having to accelerate hard to pull the front into a corner when the weight of the car is off. Absolutely sublime.

The defaults are totally wrong and impact the game and i reckon will turn your common casual off.

nib95

Banned
Try this guide here.

For DS4 PS4 users, I'd try my settings as well below. I much prefer them to the one's in the link above. They're a tad more consistent, and offer slightly less overall understeer. But that's just my personal preference.

Ok so these settings are the ones I've stuck with now. Better than all others I've tried. DS4 PS4 here. Give them a go and let me know.

Control configuration.

Steering deadzone - 15
Steering sensitivity - 20
Throttle deadzone - 10
Throttle sensitivity - 30
Brake deadzone - 10
Brake sensitivity - 15
Clutch deadzone - 10
Clutch sensitivity - 45
Speed sensitivity - 65
Controller filtering sensitivity - 30
Force Feedback - 100
Controller input mode - 3
Advanced - Off

Field of view.

Hood camera - 70
Cockpit camera - 77
Helmet camera - 70

Movement.

High speed shake - on
World movement - 100
G-force effect - 50
Show helmet - no (this one's very subjective)
Helmet depth of field - no (this one's very subjective)
Helmet look to apex - 0
Helmet leaning - 75
Camera leaning - 75

Extra.

Steering assist - off
Braking assist - off
Traction control - off
Stability control - off

I switch between mostly cockpit and helmet cam depending on how far back I am in the cockpit. Essentially using them as two cockpit views, with slightly different FOV's.

Mohonky

I've noticed there are two things that helped from spinning cars with the gamepad; traction control and Opposite Lock Assist.

Problem is, I feel like I'm cheating if I use either so I don't want to. I set Assists to Real to so if the car has those assists, then thats fine but if it doesn't I am hesitant to turn TC on all the time.

....but the controller sucks so fucking bad when you need to compensate for oversteer, you try to counter it and it just throws the car into opposite lock and it becomes uncontrollable trying to make small adjustments to correct it. It's like no one from Slightly Mad has ever played the game with a controller.

So now I am wondering, I either enable TC, I use the Opposite Lock Assist or I continue as I am and repeatedly kick myself in the nuts trying to recover from just about any oversteer. Think I am going to need to use Opposite Lock Assist because otherwise oversteer just cannot be wrangled back in without sending the car into a spin.

I don't have any of these problems with some cars though, the M1 is superb. Which leaves me wondering whether some cars are just super fidgety or something.

Either way the game is superb outside of trying to catch oversteer and it frustrates the shit out of me I have to consider using an assist to stop the game from throwing me into uncontrollable spins. If it weren't for the control issues there I wouldn't be so shit off.

danowat

Banned
For DS4 PS4 users, I'd try my settings as well below. I much prefer them to the one's in the link above. They're a tad more consistent, and offer slightly less overall understeer. But that's just my personal preference.

Only thing I'd say about those is, on tracks that have fast sweeping corners, like a couple of corners on Hockenheim, you may have trouble with the steering not getting enough lock due to the speed involved and the way speed sensitivity is reducing the steering lock.

I have tweaked my settings of late, and I tend to have a lower speed sensitivity setting globally, and tweak the steering rate using the individual cars steering ratio setting.

cackhyena

Since adjusting;

Steering controls
Turned off the helmet
Turned off depth of field
added camera shake
turned off menu music
and only have ABS on

...The game is immense! Loving the clio. Just so much fun. Great dynamics of front wheel drive with lift off oversteer and having to accelerate hard to pull the front into a corner when the weight of the car is off. Absolutely sublime.

The defaults are totally wrong and impact the game and i reckon will turn your common casual off.
Really? I love the dof, helmet, even the menu music. I did add camera shake early on.

nib95

Banned
On a side note, anyone else feel the grass properties are unrealistic? I've done real life karting (various speeds, in-door and outdoor), track racing etc, and unless my memory is failing me, I never found driving on grass, even just skimming over it on an over cooked corner, to glue me in or spin me out the way it often does in this game, and certain other sim racers. Is this a design decision to keep people from cheating, or is this supposed to be realistic?

Dilly

Banned
On a side note, anyone else feel the grass properties are unrealistic? I've done real life karting (various speeds, in-door and outdoor), track racing etc, and unless my memory is failing me, I never found driving on grass, even just skimming over it on an over cooked corner, to glue me in or spin me out the way it often does in this game, and certain other sim racers. Is this a design decision to keep people from cheating, or is this supposed to be realistic?

My experiences with putting 2 wheels of my kart in the grass was very unpleasant, I seriously had to fight the wheel to not have it pull completely into the grass.

Top Bottom