• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Spoiler Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

f@luS

More than a member.
Preordered. 35 bucks I love Nintendo wiiu prices. Never paid more than 40. Enjoyed the open test. I don't know if I will play it long and no voice chat is crazy stupid but it was refreshing enough for an instant buy

oti

Banned
Just finished the singleplayer. Hell of a ride. Now off to collect all the scrolls.
That backstory is pretty dark man.

Violet_0

Banned
Did some simple math from all of the range test videos available, it seems this is how Defense Up stacks.

+1 means you take around 5.1% less damage
+2 means you take around 9.3% less damage
+3 means you take around 12.5% less damage

doesn't seem to be worth it, then. Maybe just get enough defense to prevent getting one-shoted by chargers without damage up but otherwise 10% damage resistance is barely noticeable. The utility abilities might be more worthwhile

Shauni

Preordered. 35 bucks I love Nintendo wiiu prices. Never paid more than 40. Enjoyed the open test. I don't know if I will play it long and no voice chat is crazy stupid but it was refreshing enough for an instant buy

Where the hell are you buying your games at?

Raitaro

Not sure if this is the best Splatoon thread to post the following as I don't want to derail things, but I'll give it a shot here (and in the dev update thread):

For those, like, me, who fear about this game's long term playability when - at some point - Nintendo shuts down the servers and as such makes the online modes / maps unplayable, apparently there is a petition going for adding offline Turf War against bots that could use your support.

I'm not sure how succesful such things can be, if at all, but signing it couldn't hurt I'd say. I'd hate it if this game would lose a large part of its functionality down the line, especially because I feel it might become one of those evergreen titles for me (and many others I hope) that you'll want to keep your Wii U around for so that you can fire it up when around summer time etc (like Outrun 2 and Street Fighter 2/3 for me personally).

Ok, with that aside, splat on...which in this case means waiting till the 24th or 29th I suppose...sigh...

Totakeke

Not sure if this is the best Splatoon thread to post the following as I don't want to derail things, but I'll give it a shot here (and in the dev update thread):

For those, like, me, who fear about this game's long term playability when - at some point - Nintendo shuts down the servers and as such makes the online modes / maps unplayable, apparently there is a petition going for adding offline Turf War against bots that could use your support.

I'm not sure how succesful such things can be, if at all, but signing it couldn't hurt I'd say. I'd hate it if this game would lose a large part of its functionality down the line, especially because I feel it might become one of those evergreen titles for me (and many others I hope) that you'll want to keep your Wii U around for so that you can fire it up when around summer time etc (like Outrun 2 and Street Fighter 2/3 for me personally).

Ok, with that aside, splat on...which in this case means waiting till the 24th or 29th I suppose...sigh...

Why would you want to play offline against bots if you can't play against other people?

Why would you want to play offline against bots if you can't play against other people?

Probably just the idea that over half of the game's content becomes unplayable when the servers shut down eventually. They want that content playable, even if the playability of it sucks.

This kind of seems like a ridiculously complex game for bots to play, I don't know how you'd begin coding it. Do you make them a bit psychic, with innate knowledge of the whole map so they know where they should go to do some inking? After all, players have access to this knowledge too, on the pad... Do you make some of them camp and fight other players only? How would a bot know when to submerge to hide from players, or when it would be most efficient to submerge and swim along the ground for a long time, or up a wall? The logistics are pretty nuts.

Also by the time Nintendo shuts the servers down, Splatoon 2 will be out on the device's successor.

Proven

Splat Zones:
Urchin Underpass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDkvg7Z7z9Y
Blackbelly Skatepark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bONpfsKpVGs

--------------
Did some simple math from all of the range test videos available, it seems this is how Defense Up stacks.

+1 means you take around 5.1% less damage
+2 means you take around 9.3% less damage
+3 means you take around 12.5% less damage

So good...

One thing that annoys me about Splat Zones... They expect most games to go to time. If they do, both teams get currency after the match. However, if it's a knockout, one team gets nothing. As it currently is, unless most games go to time the mode will likely have your ranking be more of a reward than the points earned.

DaBoss

I don't think any of these were posted. They are all Turf War matches.

Nintendolife (uses the Aerospray MG): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLMJ4eQ00tU

SmashCentral (uses the Tentatek Splattershot in all of them):
Arowana Mall #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grODHsSl6GY
Arowana Mall #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vpJsufYxfI
Blackbelly Skatepark #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeMJDxqwDQA
Blackbelly Skatepark #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TGzsOLdKQw
doesn't seem to be worth it, then. Maybe just get enough defense to prevent getting one-shoted by chargers without damage up but otherwise 10% damage resistance is barely noticeable. The utility abilities might be more worthwhile
But the utility abilities can't be used as sub-abilities, they have to be main abilities.

Utility abilities:
Ninja Squid
Stealth Jump
Ink Resistance Up
Tenacity
Opening Gambit
Last-Ditch Effort
Recon
Cold-Blooded
Haunt
Bomb Sniffer
Comeback

So having just a bit will help. You have to remember that you are going to be constantly moving, so they won't get direct hits on you 100% of the time like in range testing.

I would petition more for a LAN mode. Sure, 8 consoles are expensive and the Wii U isn't the most popular item on the market, but still. They can even make LAN mode have custom team numbers or a 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc. Eh.

I would have the reviewers mention these concerns on Miiverse. I still think if enough of them mentioned these things at this stage, Nintendo may give it some thought. Heck, they might actually add option to adjust the sound effects and music levels if enough of them ask.

Honestly, once Splatoon hits the shops, it'll be too hard for Nintendo to see these suggestions. Of course, since the game has already gone gold, it probably means the requests will fall on deaf ears, but it's still worth a try.

Nope. You can play a 1v1 balloon pop mode offline, so there's that.

Man, this game is so gimped. That's another basic feature gone from the game. I used to play Halo 3 with my brother online all the time and was looking forward to doing it with him with splatoon.

Man, this game is so gimped. That's another basic feature gone from the game. I used to play Halo 3 with my brother online all the time and was looking forward to doing it with him with splatoon.

There's always a chance they'll add features/modes since they will be greatly supporting the game post-launch but I agree, they are lucky the core game seems so ace because there are a lot of features the game is missing that you would expect would be there.

Vena

There's always a chance they'll add features/modes since they will be greatly supporting the game post-launch but I agree, they are lucky the core game seems so ace because there are a lot of features the game is missing that you would expect would be there.

They won't. This isn't gimping, this is a design choice due to the inclusion of the gamepad and the designs around it. (Also the performance hit is too severe.)

They won't. This isn't gimping, this is a design choice due to the inclusion of the gamepad and the designs around it. (Also the performance hit is too severe.)

If only Nintendo allowed 2 Gamepads to sync to 1 Wii U. Turn down some graphical effects for a consistent 30 or 60 fps in split screen online. Maybe that could be another suggestion that could be made to Nintendo.

Vena

If only Nintendo allowed 2 Gamepads to sync to 1 Wii U. Turn down some graphical effects for a consistent 30 or 60 fps in split screen online. Maybe that could be another suggestion that could be made to Nintendo.

That's a rather expensive and highly limited inclusion. They can do it, but the vast majority of people will never use it because the GamePad costs >100$, so such a thing would be a waste of development resources on a good day.

pringles

Any game looks gimped compared to Halo 3. I don't feel like 2P split-screen online is a basic (standard) mode in shooters at all, though I wish it was.

Overtime huh. Wonder how that triggers. Also anyone figured out how do the penalty timers on Splat Zones work?
If the losing side has control over the Splat Zones and the timer ends, Overtime triggers until the other side gains control (or they pass the other team, presumably)

Penalty timers are a little trickier as it seems to be following some formula for difference in scores, but seem to activate when the other side takes control. If the other side is winning when they take it from you, it seems to give the losing side the minimum penalty of 1

Raitaro

Probably just the idea that over half of the game's content becomes unplayable when the servers shut down eventually. They want that content playable, even if the playability of it sucks.

This kind of seems like a ridiculously complex game for bots to play, I don't know how you'd begin coding it. Do you make them a bit psychic, with innate knowledge of the whole map so they know where they should go to do some inking? After all, players have access to this knowledge too, on the pad... Do you make some of them camp and fight other players only? How would a bot know when to submerge to hide from players, or when it would be most efficient to submerge and swim along the ground for a long time, or up a wall? The logistics are pretty nuts.

Also by the time Nintendo shuts the servers down, Splatoon 2 will be out on the device's successor.

You make some good points, particularly about the AI complexity required. I can only hope Splatoon 2 will be a certainty at some point, though preservation of this first game would be something I'd support regardless (even if many others are not with me on that, including publishers).

For this game, maybe a better remedy (against loss of functionality) would be for Nintendo to add one or two additional, Turf War-ish local multiplayer modes using the online maps, weapons and gear (and even a version of the Splat Fests ideally) so that those can be played even when the servers go down. To me, this game screams 4 player split-screen multiplayer mayhem or some kind of LAN-fuctionality for larger scale battles.

And yes, I do realize the Battle Dojo mode does allow people to play offline on the multiplayer maps, but that's only for two players and without any of the Turf War dynamics or full Gamepad controls I believe (and even there it remains to be seen if Nintendo will allow us to play that mode on any of the upcoming DLC maps - remember, none of MK8's DLC tracks are supported in Battle Mode, not even an ideal candidate like Baby Park).

Heck, now that I think about it: why didn't Nintendo allow us to use two Gamepads for the Battle Dojo, i.e. the feature they promised under pressure at some point but never delivered on and never being asked about since? That would have allowed two players to play online multiplayer in co-op fully functionally as well, just like in Mario Kart 8...

TheMoon

Heck, now that I think about it: why didn't Nintendo allow us to use two Gamepads for the Battle Dojo, i.e. the feature they promised under pressure at some point but never delivered on and never being asked about since? That would have allowed two players to play online multiplayer in co-op fully functionally as well, just like in Mario Kart 8...

Remember the inherent limitation they mentioned during that "promise?" Two GamePads = automatically limited to 30fps. The poopy sales performance of the platform doomed this feature. It would be an insanely stupid decision to start selling two gamepads now and making games that support them. Maybe 10 people would buy an additional one. Then you'd get more "I bought this for my Wii and it doesn't work" scenarios that are actual real unlike those fabricated "it's an add-on!" stories from the launch days. Going by the impressions here, the game already doesn't run as well (if I understood it right?) in Battle Dojo as it does in solo-play. Having two people in splitscreen on the TV with 6 other humans would surely weigh things down further. I'm clearly no expert but I have a feeling this has to do with the ink being splattered around everywhere having to be calculated for all players and that might be more intense than bullets flying around (just a guess).

Of course it would be great of all these things were in there (local 4 player splitscreen, bots, 2 player together for online) but I can totally see why they aren't. However, I think bots could still be happening considering there is an equivalent (sort of) in some singleplayer levels.

Boney

Banned
As long as this game doesn't astronomically bomb, like under 400k ww a sequel is guaranteed in my book. They'll want to continue to expand the mechanics and keep a series as fresh in their belt in the most popular genre around. Getting a new shooter like this on their next box will be great for them (and for us)

NateDrake

Happy to see some outlets have started to post that Splat Zones footage. Should see a lot more popping up soon. Wish I had captured some footage of my own. If you just want to kill folks, this is the mode for you.

NateDrake

Feel free to link it :D

Still waiting on most to post them up. The videos on the previous page of Splat Zones was taken last night, but sites like The Bit Block captured a bunch & haven't uploaded any yet.

Interesting.
By that comment I mean the main point is to control the territory and the best way to do so it to kill your enemies. That is how I approached the game, for the most part. Gain control, kill, and keep control. Most players become so focused on inking an area that they lost awareness of their surroundings, so flanking was possible. Your team will need folks focused on inking the Zone but you need to play defense as well. Rollers are not well suited for this game mode, in my opinion.

Vena

I don't know if its been posted, but NWR had a Famicast with part of it on Splatoon's TestFire and impression. They are rather scathing about its feature-set/content, though, and some of their info is a bit off/misinformed.

Happy to see some outlets have started to post that Splat Zones footage. Should see a lot more popping up soon. Wish I had captured some footage of my own. If you just want to kill folks, this is the mode for you.
Oh shoot were you able to record the jet squelcher?

Exile20

Still waiting on most to post them up. The videos on the previous page of Splat Zones was taken last night, but sites like The Bit Block captured a bunch & haven't uploaded any yet.

By that comment I mean the main point is to control the territory and the best way to do so it to kill your enemies. That is how I approached the game, for the most part. Gain control, kill, and keep control. Most players become so focused on inking an area that they lost awareness of their surroundings, so flanking was possible. Your team will need folks focused on inking the Zone but you need to play defense as well. Rollers are not well suited for this game mode, in my opinion.

I am guessing the charge splatter will come in handy here.

Have you gotten bored yet or see boredom in the near future?

I see people posting that it looks like it get old quick for them.

oti

Banned
That underlying fear a Let's Player could record one of your bad runs. I'm first with over 1000 points 80% of the time though so it should be OK. :)

RedFyn

I don't know if its been posted, but NWR had a Famicast with part of it on Splatoon's TestFire and impression. They are rather scathing about its feature-set/content, though, and some of their info is a bit off/misinformed.
That was really hard to listen to. I wish they'd learn something about the game before talking about it.

NateDrake

I am guessing the charge splatter will come in handy here.

Have you gotten bored yet or see boredom in the near future?

I see people posting that it looks like it get old quick for them.

Nah, can't say I have been bored or feel boredom will set in anytime soon. I'm around 25hrs of multiplayer so far, and the hrs fly by. Buying new equipment with perks to unlock, leveling up, etc.. give good reason to keep playing so you can fine-tune your character and style of play.

Vena

Nah, can't say I have been bored or feel boredom will set in anytime soon. I'm around 25hrs of multiplayer so far, and the hrs fly by. Buying new equipment with perks to unlock, leveling up, etc.. give good reason to keep playing so you can fine-tune your character and style of play.

But there are only five maps!

I feel like theprodigy now, kappa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom